• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

any other Retronauts fans here? they just referenced this thread on the recent episode! i think Kohler was on about how a lot of ya'll might not've even played SNES in the day, and are happy to pay $30 for Castlevania IV, haha...shit was a trip

edit shit i was listening to the last one of their prior volume (working backwards), my bad...not too long ago anyway!

Teknoman

any other Retronauts fans here? they just referenced this thread on the recent episode! i think Kohler was on about how a lot of ya'll might not've even played SNES in the day, and are happy to pay $30 for Castlevania IV, haha...shit was a trip

edit shit i was listening to the last one of their prior volume (working backwards), my bad...not too long ago anyway!

Which episode?

IrishNinja

59, pretty sure it was Kohler...which since they were kinda holding it down for the scene when it wasn't very popular i cant say anything, haha...one of these dudes always cites a site he had around 2000 that was fighting to preserve 2D in an era of Stolars everywhere, heh

Zing

Banned
I picked up Prehistorik Man yesterday, and it is great fun. Also, on the recommendation of Super Play magazine, I acquired Dinocity. I only played it for a few minutes, but I can already tell it was worth the effort.

Shining

I completed Lufia II today for the first time. Took me 32 hours to beat over the course of two months or so, lol. Love the mix between traditional JRPG and ARPG gameplay mechanics. Fun fact: When the credits were about to roll my XRGB-Mini suddenly went black for a sec and then the picture came back. This mostly happens when playing PS1 games (they often switch between 280p and 480i resolutions) so i checked what input resolution was coming from the SNES and the XRGB reported 480i! That must be kind of rare when it comes to SNES games.

Next game up is a repro of Seiken Densetsu 3. Heard it's pretty good ;)

Parch

I recently sold some Genesis, Dreamcast, and Xbox games and systems at a yard sale. The Dreamcast stuff went immediately. The other stuff, not so much.

Everybody interested asked if I had SNES. As you guys know, SNES games are extremely collectable. You'd think Genesis would be as well because on average they would have lower production numbers. That would be the reason the Dreamcast stuff sold so well. But it seems like SNES is the stuff everybody wants.

I'll be watching the garage sales for SNES now.

Here is a photo of my Earthbound that I am selling on the B/S/T thread. It had a rental sticker from blockbuster when i got it but my little cousin tore off the rental stickers (unauthorized), thus taking some of the back label and front label with it.

30Xvus0.jpg

b2yqh03.jpg

fNsO1Im.jpg

IrishNinja

I completed Lufia II today for the first time. Took me 32 hours to beat over the course of two months or so, lol. Love the mix between traditional JRPG and ARPG gameplay mechanics. Fun fact: When the credits were about to roll my XRGB-Mini suddenly went black for a sec and then the picture came back. This mostly happens when playing PS1 games (they often switch between 280p and 480i resolutions) so i checked what input resolution was coming from the SNES and the XRGB reported 480i! That must be kind of rare when it comes to SNES games.

Next game up is a repro of Seiken Densetsu 3. Heard it's pretty good ;)

congrats man! i got so close on a rental in the day, never did find it for a good price but i loved it back then. and i too picked up SD3 on a repro, decided on doing Terranigma then FF V first so lemme know what you think!

also be sure to hit up the RGB/upscaler thread when you can to!

I recently sold some Genesis, Dreamcast, and Xbox games and systems at a yard sale. The Dreamcast stuff went immediately. The other stuff, not so much.

Everybody interested asked if I had SNES. As you guys know, SNES games are extremely collectable. You'd think Genesis would be as well because on average they would have lower production numbers. That would be the reason the Dreamcast stuff sold so well. But it seems like SNES is the stuff everybody wants.

I'll be watching the garage sales for SNES now.

They are resellers that just know that SNES games are worth more normally.

Here is a photo of my Earthbound that I am selling on the B/S/T thread. It had a rental sticker from blockbuster when i got it but my little cousin tore off the rental stickers (unauthorized), thus taking some of the back label and front label with it.

Both of my snes Final Fantasy games have the back sticker all torn up like that from someone putting a price tag on it. Still makes me rage years later.

congrats man! i got so close on a rental in the day, never did find it for a good price but i loved it back then. and i too picked up SD3 on a repro, decided on doing Terranigma then FF V first so lemme know what you think!

also be sure to hit up the RGB/upscaler thread when you can to!

Happen to know a good place for repro carts? Seems to be a few of them and don't want to end up with shit quality or condition since they are quite costly.

Teknoman

Happen to know a good place for repro carts? Seems to be a few of them and don't want to end up with shit quality or condition since they are quite costly.

NintendoAge, the 25 dollar repro thread. The person has you send a donor cart, and then just charges 25 bucks shipped for the repro of your choice (certain donors for certain repros). Also does SFC cart translation patches on request.

IrishNinja

yeah, i was gonna say, that one alla way. ebay & other site prices can be insane in comparison, assuming you're cool with just a loose cart. also if you're getting an RPG, inquire about having new batteries installed, some places only want a few bucks more and it could save a lotta heartbreak.

Olly88

NintendoAge, the 25 dollar repro thread. The person has you send a donor cart, and then just charges 25 bucks shipped for the repro of your choice (certain donors for certain repros). Also does SFC cart translation patches on request.

He can patch SFC cartridges? So if I got Seiken Densetsu 3 for example he could patch the translation onto the legit cartridge?

yeah, i was gonna say, that one alla way. ebay & other site prices can be insane in comparison, assuming you're cool with just a loose cart. also if you're getting an RPG, inquire about having new batteries installed, some places only want a few bucks more and it could save a lotta heartbreak.

Will give it a look. What does he do about the cartridge art and what not?

Also, is there a good way to tell if a cart you own or are looking to buy is a repro or bootleg?

plc268

He can patch SFC cartridges? So if I got Seiken Densetsu 3 for example he could patch the translation onto the legit cartridge?

The process is the same regardless if you use Seiken Densetsu 3 as a donor or Madden 95. The only benefit here, is if you want to use the SD3 cart shell/label.

Chucker

Will give it a look. What does he do about the cartridge art and what not?

Also, is there a good way to tell if a cart you own or are looking to buy is a repro or bootleg?

Without actually opening it up? Not really, unless you see something that looks odd.

Most Repro makers will only make unreleased games, and communities look down on people asking for Earthbound etc. I'm sure there are some less than honest people out there, but most only make stuff that never made it over here.

Without actually opening it up? Not really, unless you see something that looks odd.

Most Repro makers will only make unreleased games, and communities look down on people asking for Earthbound etc. I'm sure there are some less than honest people out there, but most only make stuff that never made it over here.

What you mentioned is exactly what I am worried about. I have a handful of snes games that I am missing, and all are big money. Back when I originally got most of my snes games this wasn't even something that people could do, as far as I know.

Sucks to hear that there isn't an easy way to tell though. I'll have to hold out on picking them up.

Olly88

Are there any guides out there on how to do repros? Specifically patching SFC games. I'm sure it's hard (and maybe expensive) and would go over my head, but it would be quite cool to learn a few things about it.

baphomet

Are there any guides out there on how to do repros? Specifically patching SFC games. I'm sure it's hard (and maybe expensive) and would go over my head, but it would be quite cool to learn a few things about it.

Eeprom burner, burning the correct rom, and then wiring it in correctly is pretty much it. I've not found any instructions for sfc stuff(haven't really looked), but I've seen a few nes and genesis tutorials around.

Teknoman

Lucked up on Robotrek for 5 bucks today. We were at Trader's Village...which usually is hit or miss. Some guy had some SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox games on a table ( anything for 5 bucks) along with some in a glass case (stuff like Final Fight 1 for 15+). Everything was in great shape, but nothing I really wanted or was interested in...

We get ready to walk off, and then he pulls another small box of games from his truck, unpacks a few more games for the 5 dollar side, and I spot an enix logo on one of the games before it fell face forward. Of course I hurried back to the table and asked if these for 5 dollars too. He said sure, and now i'm the proud owner of Robotrek.

I've never played the game, but saw Enix and knew it had to be something fun. Apparently its like Pokemon but with a 2D Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter style battle system + robots?

Still not sure if I should have passed up Air Force Delta for Dreamcast.

D-e-f-

Banned
Lucked up on Robotrek for 5 bucks today. We were at Trader's Village...which usually is hit or miss. Some guy had some SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox games on a table ( anything for 5 bucks) along with some in a glass case (stuff like Final Fight 1 for 15+). Everything was in great shape, but nothing I really wanted or was interested in...

We get ready to walk off, and then he pulls another small box from his truck, and unpacks a few more games for the 5 dollar side, and I spot an enix logo on one of the games before it fell face forward. Of course I hurried back to the table and asked if these for 5 dollars too. He said sure, and now i'm the proud owner of Robotrek.

I've never played the game, but saw Enix and knew it had to be something fun. Apparently its like Pokemon but with a 2D Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter style battle system + robots?

Still not sure if I should have passed up Air Force Delta for Dreamcast.

Where do you live and where do you keep your spare key!

AAAAAAAAAAH Robotrek for $5!! boxed? /faints

Just bought this on ebay, mostly for the art to be honest :)

01nhzxm.jpg
02d6b8c.jpg

also just bought a house with a massive space in the basement that will be a game/media room. great thread for inspiration.

Chucker

Got this today. About an hour out, but worth way more than what he was asking ($50)
tLojzp1l.jpg

UIUCAuol.jpg

aQSluDPl.jpg

Stoked. It's so clean. I'm going to use this one as my main SNES, sell my yellowy one with a few beater games and I already have an offer on the box.

Seeing old SNES carts brings back a lot of fond memories. I don't have any Games anymore but I used to have all the good ones.

Props to anyone with the Mickey Magical Quest games, Bubsy, Joe and Mac, and Power Rangers.

Peagles

So I've just managed to buy a US SNES. Gonna have to try out this Retrobright thing, but first I need to figure out how I'm going to power it here in NZ. I use my Mega Drive 1 adapter for my Super Famicom, but from what I've read the end won't fit into a US SNES... Any ideas? Would a generic DC adapter with changeable ends work?

beanman25

Scored a sweet lot for $106.

2 consoles (001 model) complete with wires
5 controllers
Joe & Mac
Lion King w/ manual
Mario All Stars w/ manual
Super Mario World w/ manual
Bubsy
Fzero (greatest hits)
Pilotwings
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Mortal Kombat 2
DKC
Mario Kart
Daffy Duck (can't recall full title) w/ manual
Street Fighter II Turbo

(all games are cart only)

Been hunting battle toads for a while, so nice way to get it for sure.

EDIT: couple of doubles and I won't be keeping both consoles. So once I figure things out for sure, I'll prolly put them in the BST thread.

Top Bottom