• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

inner-G

Banned
My latest pick up....

iKfjpDJK0ywCw.JPG

I didnt even know this game came out for the SNES!
Yep it was later - it had a US release too.

With that, SimCity, SimEarth and SimAnt, I always thought SNES had the most interesting titles in all of the 'Sim...' series.

baphomet

Trying to figure out the next snes game I should pick up. Anyone have any recommendations for any good Konami style action/run and gun stuff? Maybe similar to Cybernator, Ninja Gaiden, or Contra? Preferably no more than $35 loose.

Edit: SFC stuff is good as well.

Trying to figure out the next snes game I should pick up. Anyone have any recommendations for any good Konami style action/run and gun stuff? Maybe similar to Cybernator, Ninja Gaiden, or Contra? Preferably no more than $35 loose.

How about Super Turrican? Also doesn't fit your system qualification, but Gunlord is boss as fuck for dreamcast.

Teknoman

Do you have Sparkster? If not, I second the Turrican series.

Teknoman

I do. I actually just picked up Mega Turrican a few days ago, so I'd really rather get something different. Is Sky Blazer any good?

Its cool. Takes inspiration from hindu mythology I believe. Its pretty challenging at times, but nothing G&G hard. I'll have to pop it in later today, since I havent played it since the day I found it at a flea market (playing games in a certain order, figured i'd wait on that a little since I was already deep in Ninja Gaiden, Contra, and Castlevania series).

baphomet

Just won starfox, dkc2, yoshis island, seiken densetsu 3, fzero, and super Mario rpg on super famicom for about $5.00 a piece from a seller in the us just now. He also had mmx 2 and 3 that went for like $15 a piece. Pretty stoked to get them. Going to put the English translation rom on seiken densetsu 3, speaking of which, anyone know where I can have someone actually burn the rom for me so I can install it?

IrishNinja

congrats! and burn the ROM how, what specifically needs to be done for the install? also if you can do that lemme know, i got a copy of Bahamut Lagoon i need the english version dumped onto!

baphomet

congrats! and burn the ROM how, what specifically needs to be done for the install? also if you can do that lemme know, i got a copy of Bahamut Lagoon i need the english version dumped onto!

I think I know someone on assembler who can do it, but I've not heard back yet. I really don't know what exactly needs to be done, but I'm sure with some reading I can do it. He doesn't sell repros, but he's burnt me all types of chips for different stuff, and I'm pretty sure he's mentioned before that he can burn snes stuff. If he says he can ill point you in his direction.

woodypop

My boxed SNES games

F402907D-1BC4-423A-9F61-98B99905FC02-26907-000015D6C935C214_zps6b51bc35.jpg

44B09BAB-A074-4DA5-8171-1F5AF0035447-26907-000015D6E71E4FDA_zpsc501f21f.jpg

EBBB6AAE-4791-412E-B177-A4086BD43EC6-26907-000015D705F4F2C1_zpsd79089a7.jpg

I got many of them from our very own Buy/Sell/Trade thread over the past few years. At the time, they weren't overly expensive. But it seems that good SNES games, as well as most good retro games in general, have just been climbing higher and higher as of late.

woodypop

I know i've asked before, but how is Musya?
I haven't played it, but the reviews I've seen haven't been kind. Honestly, I had it confused with another game when I bought it. =\

Yeah, Ninja Warriors is good. I didn't pay out the nose for mine, as it's not in the best of shape, but it is complete.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I got many of them from our very own Buy/Sell/Trade thread over the past few years. At the time, they weren't overly expensive. But it seems that good SNES games, as well as most good retro games in general, have just been climbing higher and higher as of late.

I wish I had more boxed SNES games. Its ridiculous how much gets added to the price when a game comes with the box and/or manual.

Fadobo

I have several SNES' at home, but most importantly I got my hands on a modified PAL box that can play NTSC games as well (which unfortunately means a somewhat ugly modification to the slot). Definitely worth it, also to play PAL games in NTSC-mode, to get rid of the ridiculous black bars on top / bottom.

I got a couple of my favourite games from my childhood such as Secret of Mana, Super Mario World / Allstars and F-Zero, but most importantly it enabled me to check out great games I never knew back in the day, such as the excellent Axelay!

IrishNinja

yeah, a beat-up-ass copy was one of the more expensive adds to my SNES library last spring. what exactly got censored though? blood?

yeah, a beat-up-ass copy was one of the more expensive adds to my SNES library last spring. what exactly got censored though? blood?
Blood was removed, but it was green to begin with in the Japanese version. No idea why they had to censor it further. There was also an additional enemy type (acrobatic female ninjas) that were removed entirely.

The North American version is still awesome, It's just a shame there isn't a cheaper SFC alternative available like so many other games.

Zing

Banned
I bought the Ninja Warriors cart when it was relatively cheap ($35) but have yet to find a manual. I tend to not even play a game until I own and have read the manual, so it has gone unplayed. The only exception I have made so far is Mega Man X3, and that is just because I wanted to play it immediately. I read a scanned PDF instead. Still waiting for a manual for it as well.

These days I don't even bother with reading manuals... they're nice, I suppose, but frequently inessential. RPGs tend to be the exception, since you have a lot of mechanics to get a hold of, but even then, I can just break out a scanned copy.

Found some SNES games at my local goodwill, was really happy to find Secret of Mana! Also, had a few games with promotional offer/not for resale stickers on them and was curious what exactly that meant. All I could really find online was stuff about the demo cartridges.

EDIT: After doing some more searching online, looks like they're games that NOA had for GamePlay Counselors to use. Pretty neat if that's true. Decided to go back and get what ones they had left, especially since they were only $0.55.

Teknoman

Rock N' Roll racing above Mana...and...I cant tell what the other one is.

"I know what they are worth so no low offers"

Godspeed man getting that at a fair price. Would be nice if you could walk off at least $100 flat.

EDIT: Yeah, Syndicate and Rock N' Roll racing. Didnt know Syndicate released on SNES.

IrishNinja

ah, my bad! rock n' roll is like one of the only ones left on my list, too...yeah whenever someone doesn't put a price and says that shit i typically don't bother but it can't hurt to try!

Well I got the seller to do Earthbound for $125 or $300 for the whole lot which includes:

Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Zombies ate my Neighbors
Shadowrun
Syndicate
Super Mario RPG
Rock n Roll Racing

Any good? Is 125 for Earthbound still too much since the VC release? What say you SNES GAF?

IrishNinja

i love most of those games, and with inflated prices nowadays...but damn man $300 is mad cheddar for those 8 titles

id offer a bit below $250 and see how close he'd come to that #, personally

baphomet

Yea, to me that's way too high for what the games are, and Earthbound is extremely overrated so there's that. I'd offer like $100 for all the games not including Earthbound.

Teknoman

On one hand, that seems pretty...good considering Amazon prices, but on the other hand, 300 is alot to drop at once. I guess you could always sell what you dont like and make the money back?

Zing

Banned
Well I got the seller to do Earthbound for $125 or $300 for the whole lot which includes:

Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Zombies ate my Neighbors
Shadowrun
Syndicate
Super Mario RPG
Rock n Roll Racing

Any good? Is 125 for Earthbound still too much since the VC release? What say you SNES GAF?

If you go by completed eBay auctions, you are getting Earthbound virtually for free if you pay $300 for all. If you already want those titles, and want them now instead of in 5-10 years when prices drop, go for it.

Well I passed on the offer. I first tried to get em all for $200 but he's pretty set at 300 so maybe in a week or to I might get a text back with a counter offer who knows. Thanks for the help.

Lettuce

Metal Warriors FUUUUUUUUUUU

Yeah boiiiiiii. Got it for a really good price as well. Have been holding out for a boxed version for about a year but always go for stupid amounts....it not like its even that rare comes on on ebay often and there is always 2 or 3 on there

Teknoman

Is Xardion any good? I remember being extremely hyped as a kid just by looking at the box art...but never played the game. Spotted a SFC cart of the game back in middle school in a pawn shop...after going back to get the game...turned out someone had swapped out the board for Mario Kart >_>

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Is Xardion any good? I remember being extremely hyped as a kid just by looking at the box art...but never played the game. Spotted a SFC cart of the game back in middle school in a pawn shop...after going back to get the game...turned out someone had swapped out the board for Mario Kart >_>

It's fairly ok, but it's pretty short. Action platform shooter with RPG elements like EXP and leveling. I play it from time to time. You should check it out on youtube to get the idea.

Top Bottom