• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

blizzardsounds

Neo Member
Local Craigslist seller had cart only of Chrono Trigger, Knights of the Round, FF2, and Sunset Riders. 80 bones for the lot. Emailed as he had a few other collections ie. Sega Cd and Sega Saturn. No reply. Ad is now pulled :(

IrishNinja

Local Craigslist seller had cart only of Chrono Trigger, Knights of the Round, FF2, and Sunset Riders. 80 bones for the lot. Emailed as he had a few other collections ie. Sega Cd and Sega Saturn. No reply. Ad is now pulled :(

yeah man, stuff like that stays up for an hour or two tops, ive mostly gotten lucky with people putting them up with vague descriptions and pics late at night, so i can hit them up first thing in the morning & drive out before anyone else does. it's crazy.

blizzardsounds

Neo Member
yeah man, stuff like that stays up for an hour or two tops, ive mostly gotten lucky with people putting them up with vague descriptions and pics late at night, so i can hit them up first thing in the morning & drive out before anyone else does. it's crazy.

He didn't even have SNES in the title. Just retro stuff for sale. Oh well. The hunt continues...

I haven't really seen any mention of Paladins Quest. I loved that game but no one really seems to touch on it.

Also i remember seeing my brothers friend back in 95 playing a snes rpg that had turn based combat much like FF2, FF3. However i have never been able to track it down, anyone have any ideas of what that could have been (exluding FF2, FF3, BOF 1&2, Lufia 1&2, super mario RPG)

Ive had my own collection (illusion of gaia is in my snes right now):

jLFhcowj442ub.jpg

Teknoman

Paladin's Quest is on my list of stuff to get (really like the battle theme). Never played the game, but the soundtrack seems cool...and it was good enough to get a sequel (Lennus 2) so its gotta be worth trying out.

Chucker

I'm starting to slow down on my collecting. I'll probably get Rockman 7, and X3 to complete the set, and then Lufia 1 and 2, then I will (hopefully) stop checking craigslist every day. I think for NES I'm just about done too after I find Mega Man 6 to finish that off.

It'll be nice, just "finding" games again and not hunting.

Also i remember seeing my brothers friend back in 95 playing a snes rpg that had turn based combat much like FF2, FF3. However i have never been able to track it down, anyone have any ideas of what that could have been (exluding FF2, FF3, BOF 1&2, Lufia 1&2, super mario RPG)

robotrek maybe?

woodypop

Nice job on getting Metal Warrios, that game is really expensive.

God damn just look, the prices have sky rocketed since i looked back last year. I think i paid about £30 for it back in xmas 2011, just kept forgetting to put it in my other game pics
You guys aren't kidding. Just got back from a local game shop that had two cart-only copies priced at $180 each. Too rich for my blood.

But I did remember that I picked up the manual years ago on a whim for like a buck, just because it looked cool and, hey, it's Konami. =)

4744EB9E-1852-4570-A8D8-14AE2A2D81C4-27787-00001685180B4CD3_zpsff78078a.jpg

Maybe one day I'll cobble together a complete copy. lol

iamtheb

So a lady messaged me on Facebook telling me she was trying to sell some of her husband's old games. She sends me some lists and I tell her I am interested in a few things. Long story short, I meet her later that afternoon and come away with:

Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)

X-Men 2 and Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Genesis)

A disc-only copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube)

And the grand gem, a copy of Mega Man X3!

The whole lot only set me back $20. I'll probably sell Fire Emblem since I have no real attachment to the series.

The main reason I'm posting (other than to brag a little bit) is that X3 has a big ugly Blockbuster "Void If Removed" sticker on it. Is there any way to remove that sticker without making ruining the look of the cart?

So a lady messaged me on Facebook telling me she was trying to sell some of her husband's old games. She sends me some lists and I tell her I am interested in a few things. Long story short, I meet her later that afternoon and come away with:

Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)

X-Men 2 and Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Genesis)

A disc-only copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GameCube)

And the grand gem, a copy of Mega Man X3!

The whole lot only set me back $20. I'll probably sell Fire Emblem since I have no real attachment to the series.

The main reason I'm posting (other than to brag a little bit) is that X3 has a big ugly Blockbuster "Void If Removed" sticker on it. Is there any way to remove that sticker without making ruining the look of the cart?

Where is the blockbuster sticker located? It's not on top of the label is it?

Goof-off or goo-gone will do the trick and rid the sticky residue, but they'll damage the label too.

How much do you want for the Path of Radiance disc?

woodypop

Excellent haul, iamtheb!

Man, I hate Hate HATE all the various rental/store stickers. Some of them are impossible to remove cleanly, and often end up majorly damaging the cart label. Grrr!

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Nah i have that one, and its not chrono trigger for sure. Maybe im just mistaken.

What kind of battle system did it have? Could you see the characters on screen? Did the fights have a horizontal(enemies in front of you, semi-first person, example: Dragon Quest) or vertical orientation(enemies on one side, characters on the other, example: Final Fantasy)?

Oh and congratulations on that haul, iamtheb. You robbed that old lady, lol.

iamtheb

Where is the blockbuster sticker located? It's not on top of the label is it?

Goof-off or goo-gone will do the trick and rid the sticky residue, but they'll damage the label too.

How much do you want for the Path of Radiance disc?

It hangs a little bit on the back sticker but luckily it's not on the cover art. I'll try to get a picture when I get home from work this evening.

Shoot me a PM on Fire Emblem and maybe we can work something out. :)

What kind of battle system did it have? Could you see the characters on screen? Did the fights have a horizontal(enemies in front of you, semi-first person, example: Dragon Quest) or vertical orientation(enemies on one side, characters on the other, example: Final Fantasy)?

Oh and congratulations on that haul, iamtheb. You robbed that old lady, lol.

It was turned based with the characters on the screen. The fights were vertical like final fantasy, but i want to say i remember at least one fight being horizontal with the characters visible but i cant be for sure on that one.

Lettuce

You guys aren't kidding. Just got back from a local game shop that had two cart-only copies priced at $180 each. Too rich for my blood.

But I did remember that I picked up the manual years ago on a whim for like a buck, just because it looked cool and, hey, it's Konami. =)

4744EB9E-1852-4570-A8D8-14AE2A2D81C4-27787-00001685180B4CD3_zpsff78078a.jpg

Maybe one day I'll cobble together a complete copy. lol

Or you could give it too me lol

Olly88

I've found a US version of Link to the Past boxed with manual (no map) for £20. Should I go for it? Reason I'm hesitating a little is just because I'm wondering if it would work with my import adapter. I'm assuming it probably would though...?

EDIT: Got it, couldn't resist.

Yasawas

Nooo. Forgot that boxed Demon's Blazon auction I was watching ended today at 10.30, someone snagged it for £48 in the end which is pretty good. I'd probably have got hammered for import duty anyway.

Zing

Banned
I've found a US version of Link to the Past boxed with manual (no map) for £20. Should I go for it? Reason I'm hesitating a little is just because I'm wondering if it would work with my import adapter. I'm assuming it probably would though...?

EDIT: Got it, couldn't resist.
I don't have personal experience, but from what I have read in Super Play magazine, it works with everything. It was the later releases like Secret of Mana and such that seemed to give the most trouble.

Olly88

I don't have personal experience, but from what I have read in Super Play magazine, it works with everything. It was the later releases like Secret of Mana and such that seemed to give the most trouble.

Yeah. Well my adapter works with Secret of Mana and Mega Man X, so I think it should work with LttP. I just think that because it's a Nintendo game, in the back of my mind I thought there might be some extra protection, but I'm sure it'll be fine :D

Zing

Banned
It was actually pretty interesting how focused the UK gamers were on imports back then. In America, I just settled for whatever was released. There were plenty of games. Apparently, the UK would get games a year or more after the rest of the world, so NTSC adapters were common. For the first half of the Super Play print run, the ads were dominated with Japan and USA imports. The magazine didn't even really bother with the UK sales figures or player polls until the N64 was approaching. It's mildly depressing to imagine being a gamer there, either suffering with poor ports of NTSC games, or paying double the normal price for an import.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
It was turned based with the characters on the screen. The fights were vertical like final fantasy, but i want to say i remember at least one fight being horizontal with the characters visible but i cant be for sure on that one.

I think I mixed up the vertical/horizontal explanation, but ok, it's more like Final Fantasy than Dragon Quest but may have had a fight which was DQ-esque(possibly not)? Excluding the games you mentioned, it doesn't sound like a game that was officially released in the west, unless it's a really obscure one.

Games with the other orientation: Arcana, Secret of the Stars, FF Mystic Quest?

An unoffical game that comes to mind would be one of the Romancing SaGas, ring a bell?

Edit: This may be a job for the "Games you remember, names you don't" thread.

beanman25

Just the consoles would be around that much around where I am. Check for 1-chip yet? Good haul.

Yeah, there are a few doubles in this group for me so I'll probably sell the doubles and 1 of the consoles.

Neither console has the 1-chip, that was the first thing I checked.

Stoked to finally have Joe & Mac + Battletoads. Carts look wonderful in person too.

Olly88

Nice pickups.

I think I'd like Bubsy if I could get used to the controls. I just usually end up falling off things or running/jumping into everything.

Zing

Banned
I am in need of some quick PayPal and I've been sitting on this game too long. I'm selling Lufia II, with manual and map. The map in particular seems to be fairly rare. The map and manual are like-new. The cart is also, except for one nick along the top edge. No writing, marks, etc on anything. I'm asking $100 plus shipping, which is $108 total to the USA or Canada. PayPal "friend" payment, unless you want to pay extra shipping for it to be sent parcel with tracking.

Zing

Banned
People have long believed that the newer SNES circuit board with the single chip CPU/PPU has better image quality. However, this is not true. It actually has worse image quality. People are fooled because it is overly sharp, bright, and blue.

Specifically, the PPU outputs an image that does not seem to have the original filtering. It also overdrives the white signal, causing ghosting. Finally, the color temperature is too high, giving the image a blue tint compared to the original.

In addition, the 1chip models are more of a system on a chip than the true CPU. This means it functions similarly to a clone system, and has noted issues with various games ranging from graphical garbage around the edges of the screen, to intended dithering and shadow effects just not being present.

People have long believed that the newer SNES circuit board with the single chip CPU/PPU has better image quality. However, this is not true. It actually has worse image quality. People are fooled because it is overly sharp, bright, and blue.

Specifically, the PPU outputs an image that does not seem to have the original filtering. It also overdrives the white signal, causing ghosting. Finally, the color temperature is too high, giving the image a blue tint compared to the original.

In addition, the 1chip models are more of a system on a chip than the true CPU. This means it functions similarly to a clone system, and has noted issues with various games ranging from graphical garbage around the edges of the screen, to intended dithering and shadow effects just not being present.

Well also that you can sell it for more because it is sought after as well.

Also here is a site with some direct comparisons, but none in movement so can't see the ghosting.

http://www.retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html

I think I mixed up the vertical/horizontal explanation, but ok, it's more like Final Fantasy than Dragon Quest but may have had a fight which was DQ-esque(possibly not)? Excluding the games you mentioned, it doesn't sound like a game that was officially released in the west, unless it's a really obscure one.

Games with the other orientation: Arcana, Secret of the Stars, FF Mystic Quest?

An unoffical game that comes to mind would be one of the Romancing SaGas, ring a bell?

Edit: This may be a job for the "Games you remember, names you don't" thread.

It might have been the Romancing SaGas. I was looking at those today.

Question for anyone, How do you guys feel about repro's? I found a few sites selling Lennus 2 (Paladins Quest 2), for 60 bucks unfortunately. I want to play it and refuse to do so on an emulator.

Teknoman

It might have been the Romancing SaGas. I was looking at those today.

Question for anyone, How do you guys feel about repro's? I found a few sites selling Lennus 2 (Paladins Quest 2), for 60 bucks unfortunately. I want to play it and refuse to do so on an emulator.

Repros of games that never released in your region's language or hacks of games that drastically change things? Go for it. Repros of stuff that already exists in playable form in your language? Nope.

I want to say you should be able to find Lennus 2 for cheaper...maybe check that Nintendoage thread and ask jjrepro if he/she will translate the SFC cart for you.

Repros kinda skeeve me out because they're usually done for-profit by people who did not design the translations or hacks themselves. Flash cart with the games ripped and patched from the officially-obtained originals is my guilt-free solution.

I can understand why people like them though. Especially when they come with custom manuals and maps and such.

Repros of games that never released in your region's language or hacks of games that drastically change things? Go for it. Repros of stuff that already exists in playable form in your language? Nope.

I want to say you should be able to find Lennus 2 for cheaper...maybe check that Nintendoage thread and ask jjrepro if he/she will translate the SFC cart for you.

Awesome thanks ill look into this. I know that ocdreproductions has them for cheaper 50 bucks but still.

goldenpp72

I have a question, one of the Snes games I got in today has a totally real looking label but, the alignment of it is kind of off, its mostly all the way to the left front wise and also has a decent gap under the label face and instead sits flush at the top with the top label portion. I can post pics if needed but, is this a sign of some kind of forgery?

baphomet

I have a question, one of the Snes games I got in today has a totally real looking label but, the alignment of it is kind of off, its mostly all the way to the left front wise and also has a decent gap under the label face and instead sits flush at the top with the top label portion. I can post pics if needed but, is this a sign of some kind of forgery?

What game is it? That's usually a sign of a repro, but it's not a for sure thing. I'd post pics and take it apart if you've got a gamebit to open it with.

I just found out theres a store here that opened this year called flashback games. I think i might go check them out after work tonight, hopefully prices arent ridiculous

brainpann

I am in need of some quick PayPal and I've been sitting on this game too long. I'm selling Lufia II, with manual and map. The map in particular seems to be fairly rare. The map and manual are like-new. The cart is also, except for one nick along the top edge. No writing, marks, etc on anything. I'm asking $100 plus shipping, which is $108 total to the USA or Canada. PayPal "friend" payment, unless you want to pay extra shipping for it to be sent parcel with tracking.

Mmmmm, so tempted. I need Lufia 2 in my collection but TBH, its been really hard for me to spend too much on my SNES collection lately with all the new stuff coming out. I may PM you soon.

Top Bottom