• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

goldenpp72

it has the same feeling texture and from what I can see, look of the other carts, this one came with the box/manual/inserts too so I figured it would be real but, off center labels aren't something I have seen on my stuff..

Turns out that store had some decent games and prices picked up Lufia for 30 bucks. They had Castlevania 4 for 35, definitely going to have to go back.

Olly88

Today's arrivals;

jmbBi4kEuqOQm.jpg

jbwaWVruPJA6br.jpg

Zelda's in way better condition than I thought it was going to be. Thought it was going to be battered for the price it was.

brainpann

Hey Euro Gaf!

Can anyone here get a non working SNES and be willing to ship it to me? I just want it for the shell as I plan to put an NTSC SNES jr inside of it. Please pm me.

Thanks!

@____@

Banned
Thought I would show this. Bought it from a friend awhile ago and decided to get it 'graded' more so because I like the clear case. I never intend to open it as I already have a cart but this is my favorite game of all time so it has a special meaning for me. And yes it's factory sealed with the factory Y-fold seal.

Peagles

Thought I would show this. Bought it from a friend awhile ago and decided to get it 'graded' more so because I like the clear case. I never intend to open it as I already have a cart but this is my favorite game of all time so it has a special meaning for me. And yes it's factory sealed with the factory Y-fold seal.

Looks great, along with the score above! How much does it cost to grade by the way?

Lettuce

Got this off a friend for $75

Most I've spent on a SNES game but I think it's underrated.

Good price!!. That game had a heavy asking price when i did my main collecting back in 2005 time and its even more now.

Even my boxed JPN version the game is a fair whack now also

entremet

How is Maui Mallard? Is a late era SNES game this is pretty cheap. Plus its a Disney game, so I doubt it will ever come out on the VC, so I'm looking to pick up it up.

My eyes lit up after I just opened a box of stuff from when I was young. My parents finally sent this to me during their move and I found this!

It was actually pretty interesting how focused the UK gamers were on imports back then. In America, I just settled for whatever was released. There were plenty of games. Apparently, the UK would get games a year or more after the rest of the world, so NTSC adapters were common. For the first half of the Super Play print run, the ads were dominated with Japan and USA imports. The magazine didn't even really bother with the UK sales figures or player polls until the N64 was approaching. It's mildly depressing to imagine being a gamer there, either suffering with poor ports of NTSC games, or paying double the normal price for an import.

With an ad campaign Like this, it's not surprise (mild NSFW?).

Yasawas

It was actually pretty interesting how focused the UK gamers were on imports back then. In America, I just settled for whatever was released. There were plenty of games. Apparently, the UK would get games a year or more after the rest of the world, so NTSC adapters were common. For the first half of the Super Play print run, the ads were dominated with Japan and USA imports. The magazine didn't even really bother with the UK sales figures or player polls until the N64 was approaching. It's mildly depressing to imagine being a gamer there, either suffering with poor ports of NTSC games, or paying double the normal price for an import.

The release dates were worse than the shitty PAL ports. When you're a kid you don't know to care about borders and speed differences* so much but it did mean that when I decided to put together a collection as an adult I bought a Super Famicom instead for the proper experience whilst retaining the shape I loved from my childhood. Sorry US SNES, you would've been handy for RPGs and Super Punch Out! but you are one ugly fucker. One nice side effect of this is that you can find boxed SFC games in fantastic condition on eBay UK from time to time as people who spent a fortune importing them back in the 90s sure looked after them.

* this is so noticeable and so etched in my memory that yesterday on a Twitch stream a guy was playing the Sonic music from Green Hill Zone and even now, more than 20 years later, it sounds too fast to me.

Sorry US SNES... but you are one ugly fucker.

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the North American SNES. The pale lilac base color of the console is much more elegant to me than the dull gray of the SFC, and I hate the playskool multicolored buttons on the SFC controller. I also appreciated the tactile feedback of the 2 concave and 2 convex buttons

The SFC does look more modern despite being older, though. If the SFC was molded in the same pale lilac color as the NA SNES and the 4 color logo was redone to the purple and lavender of the NA SNES controller, I think it would be quite aesthetically pleasing.

I'd rather take the lilac color of the US SNES console, the concave buttons of the US SNES controller, and the button colors of the JP/EU SFC/SNES controller, myself. Like, best of all worlds or something.

Grief.exe

This Super Mario RPG review has some mature language and images, but it was really cracking me up.

Let me know if it is a little too mature for GAF and I will take it down. Its nothing too bad btw, but its definitely NSFW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpyeSSdn7Mo

It brings up a good point. Why haven't we seen some of these characters again?

Zing

Banned
I'd rather take the lilac color of the US SNES console, the concave buttons of the US SNES controller, and the button colors of the JP/EU SFC/SNES controller, myself. Like, best of all worlds or something.

I'm all for this. I like the way the SNES looks. I also love the concave buttons. It's puzzling that no other region had this.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Before I list them in the BST thread tonight, I just figured I'd see if anyone here was interested in any of these games. Cart only unless specified otherwise. PM me if so, I'll give you fair prices and get you pics tonight if you want. I need some cash and some room on my shelves. :)

SNES: Captain Commando (slight tear on top part of label), King of Dragons, Knights of the Round (rental stickers on the cart), Axelay (writing on cart, rip in back label), Cybernator, Super Double Dragon, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs.

SFC: Kunio no Oden, Gouketuji Ichizoku (Power Instinct, complete).

andylsun

I picked up a load of SNES games from a friend who was selling all his game stuff. Multiple consoles, boxed SNES, PS1 and PS2 stuff and misc bits and bobs. He knew he was underpricing it, but I wanted to get an idea of SNES prices.

Ended up with the below in SNES carts. Just totaled the lot up using ebay (looking at items that sold with multiple bids). $670 for loose carts alone. I don't sell stuff on, and am playing through Chrono Trigger now. Crazy how it all adds up.

Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire II
Breath of Fire
Knights of the Round
Paladin's Quest
Contra III
Donkey Kong Country
Lufia and the fotress of doom
NBA Jam
Final Fantasy III
WWF Super Wrestlemania
Mechwarrior
Brandish
Demon's Crest
Ranma ½ Hard Battle
Clayfigher
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Final Fight
Star-fox
Street Fighter II
Zelda: Link to the past
Firestriker
King Arthur's World
Final Fantasy II

Teknoman

i said goddamn

wish i was there for something like that, just so when goodwill gives its price i can say ILL GO DOUBLE

They just drop em off for free :p

All they do is ask if you want a receipt for tax write off purposes, so yup, someone gave all that away...for free. You guys should've seen some of the RPG lots they had last Christmas. Was an insane one with all the usual big hitters, Earthbound, and some Strategy guides for a good percent of the games included.

I still wish they didnt have an online auction site. At least then there would be the slight chance that some of that stuff would hang in stores for decent prices. Last thing I found was a loose Star Tropics and Mega Man Legends 2 demo.

Of course I also got my current Genesis from a Goodwill back when the GAF Retro Revival was getting started...so I guess I cant complain.

I really want to get into retro game collecting but my area is terrible for game swapmeets, pawn shops etc.

Also I refuse to pay $40 for an SNES console, $30 is pushing it but if anyone knows where to find a good deal please PM me!

brainpann

I really want to get into retro game collecting but my area is terrible for game swapmeets, pawn shops etc.

Also I refuse to pay $40 for an SNES console, $30 is pushing it but if anyone knows where to find a good deal please PM me!

Holy fudge, SNES's are getting expensive on eBay.
Your best bet is to just try to get a low bid on a system or scan CL regularly. I bought about 5 SNES's a year and a half ago and don't think I paid more that $20.00 for each. If you put in the time, you can still get them from eBay cheap.

Top Bottom