• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Good to hear there is some hope though I do look thru CL often, ppl who are on CL these days just price according to EBAY anyhow :(. When will they learn CL is not Ebay? But damn I'd buy one at $20 in an instant!

EDIT (8-18-13): Hot damn lol I tried my luck at some flea markets and finally found one haggling the seller down from $40 to $20 with supermario world included! YAY!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
picked up some quality stuff

only real golf is played by robots
megarobotoffroad_zps3d01eb82.jpg

and keeping with the fashion of using silicon jesus song in your mid 90s snes games
xkaliberswag_zpseb60d323.jpg

IrishNinja

damn, i played off road on genesis in the day till it died, haha...also wrong thread but how is the port of crystal castles? i loved it in the arcade with the roller ball controller, assuming i'm remembering the same title

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I've...never seen that golf game before. We need impressions asap!

kinda average golf game feels like any of them of the time you know the ones where you go down to your local hyper golf club and do a few holes against robots you dont actually get to play as a robot though but defending humanity from the filthy robot race is good enough

damn, i played off road on genesis in the day till it died, haha...also wrong thread but how is the port of crystal castles? i loved it in the arcade with the roller ball controller, assuming i'm remembering the same title

kinda ok has some wonky controls least with the joystick not sure if its compatible with the trak ball might fix some of the control issues if it is

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I did a trade over on NA for Pocky & Rocky 2. I gave up a lot of good stuff for it (King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Axelay, Cybernator, Actraiser for Pocky & Four Swords for the GameCube) but the first three I think I'd prefer SFC carts for and the other two I can rebuy pretty reasonably at any time. I never figured I'd get P&R2, so I'm pretty thrilled. Can't wait to play some co-op.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked up copies of Joe and Mac 2, Saturday Night Slam Masters, and Romancing SaGa 2 (SFC) at Otakon a few weeks ago... didn't even know they made a sequel to Joe and Mac, looking forward to giving it a try!

They had a copy of Demon's Crest in the dealer's room but damn it was $320 and didn't even have a manual :p

IrishNinja

^goddamn that's insane, i grabbed the SFC of demon's for like $40 in the spring...i knew the us one was creeping around $100 but cmon

I did a trade over on NA for Pocky & Rocky 2. I gave up a lot of good stuff for it (King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, Axelay, Cybernator, Actraiser for Pocky & Four Swords for the GameCube) but the first three I think I'd prefer SFC carts for and the other two I can rebuy pretty reasonably at any time. I never figured I'd get P&R2, so I'm pretty thrilled. Can't wait to play some co-op.

damn, some titles there...is pocky & rocky 2 as good as 1?
i was so bummed, i bought a PAL copy of 1 for less, then realized the region wouldn't work here! i should've tried a game genie or something, but someone at NA offered to reprogram the cart with the US copy for me for like $20...worked, but now the raccoon's cutscenes don't have text for some reason. sucks.

kinda average golf game feels like any of them of the time you know the ones where you go down to your local hyper golf club and do a few holes against robots you dont actually get to play as a robot though but defending humanity from the filthy robot race is good enough
Looking this game up (I'd never heard of it before), apparently that game was a normal golf game in Japan, but for the US release they decided to replace the characters with robots. Well, that made it more thematically interesting for sure, but it's still the same bland golf game underneath, going by your impressions there.

kinda ok has some wonky controls least with the joystick not sure if its compatible with the trak ball might fix some of the control issues if it is
The only trackball that works with the 2600 isn't analog, so it won't really fix the controls... I imagine that the game would control a bit better there, but it'd basically just be mapping the regular joystick controls to a trackball.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Looking this game up (I'd never heard of it before), apparently that game was a normal golf game in Japan, but for the US release they decided to replace the characters with robots. Well, that made it more thematically interesting for sure, but it's still the same bland golf game underneath, going by your impressions there.

yeah its a pretty standard golf game just bought it for the comedic novelty really

Teknoman

Some blockhead has been reported jjrepro's paypal account, so now she has to wait until she can get it back up. I think it was said on Nintendoage that someone with a vendetta against repro makers has been reporting their accounts.

IrishNinja

wait, are you saying it happened again, or referring to when it started a few months back? also RetroQuest (good guy, he's the one i bought the great Mother 3 copy off of) identified the d-bag a while back too, can't stand petty assholes like that...doing the exact same thing, but can't beat her prices so he reports her instead, just to make it harder on his clientele. that's what you get for overcharging on repros, scumbag.

Teknoman

wait, are you saying it happened again, or referring to when it started a few months back? also RetroQuest (good guy, he's the one i bought the great Mother 3 copy off of) identified the d-bag a while back too, can't stand petty assholes like that...doing the exact same thing, but can't beat her prices so he reports her instead, just to make it harder on his clientele. that's what you get for overcharging on repros, scumbag.

It might have been a few months back since I just recently checked. Been procrastinating about getting my FF III(famicom) IV and V translated. Decided to check up on the thread.

IrishNinja

ah okay, i was hoping it didnt happen to her again...she was trying to be patient but saying she'd only take money orders from new customers for a bit, i think she sorted it out since?

Teknoman

So...SNES SCART cables, are there any out there with the RCA audio connected to them?

The SCART to Component bug has finally embedded itself in my brain, and now I feel like i'm doing my SNES a disservice by not having it connected the same as my Sega systems.

Teknoman

That is a scart to component converter, though.

Then i was right the first time?

Lol either way, thats how i have my saturn and genesis connected, so im trying to get snes cables with rca audio.

The woman who sells the specialized cables on ebay said she would have some today, but all ive seen were neo geo cables added.

Kainazzo

The woman who sells the specialized cables on ebay said she would have some today, but all ive seen were neo geo cables added.

I feel a lot of us here are at her mercy :p Definitely worth it though; if she really makes them by hand then she does an excellent job.

Teknoman

Sorry for the double post, but how is the Romancing Saga 3 english translation? I'm thinking about snagging one and getting it translated.

Can someone explain to me first print editions for SNES games? How does one identify and differentiate a first print run from other editions?

IrishNinja

ah, you just gotta play em! for instance, if you see spider-man & batman both in the boss fights, or if level 3-1's dance has a Thriller sample, then you've hit gold and...shit, wrong thread

Bar81

Can someone explain to me first print editions for SNES games? How does one identify and differentiate a first print run from other editions?

The first prints don't have the greatest hits or similar indication (I can't remember exactly what it looks like - typically gold thing on the top right of the front of the box).

Sorry for the instagrammed picture, but that's the only one I have, since this was a haul I bought a while back for a friend as a present to kickstart his collection of Super Famicom games.

969779_64181254918055uujcr.jpg

- Dragon Quest V
- Dragon Quest VI
- Final Fantasy VI
- Romancing Saga 3
- Front Mission Gun Hazard
- Chrono Trigger
- Bahamut Lagoon
- Treasure Hunter G
- Fire Emblem 3
- Ganbare Daiku no Gensan
- Ogre Battle

There will be a big "Players Choice" badge and gold "SUPER NINTENDO" font + iconography instead of the traditional red coloring.

For Majesco reprints of stuff like MMX and SCV4 the carts won't have back labels. Instead the precaution info will be embossed into the actual plastic. The manuals will be grayscale instead of color, and the front cart labels will be of lower quality and say "Made in Mexico"

HaL64

I feel a lot of us here are at her mercy :p Definitely worth it though; if she really makes them by hand then she does an excellent job.

Her cables are usually high quality, but I got burnt by her a couple times. First she sold me an unshielded cable. Then she sent me a cable that was impossible to rewire for pure sync because she fills the insides with glue.

This guy is great though. His cables are as high quality and they aren't filled with glue:
http://www.retrogamingcables.com/
Slightly more expensive, especially with shipping, but worth it.
He also doesn't run out of stock as much and responds to your emails.

A local store here has Ogre Battle for 84 bucks, but i can't justify paying that much for that game. I also saw that Lufia 2's price is dropping rapidly on Amazon, I wonder how good of a condition those games are actually in..

Bar81

Her cables are usually high quality, but I got burnt by her a couple times. First she sold me an unshielded cable. Then she sent me a cable that was impossible to rewire for pure sync because she fills the insides with glue.

This guy is great though. His cables are as high quality and they aren't filled with glue:
http://www.retrogamingcables.com/
Slightly more expensive, especially with shipping, but worth it.
He also doesn't run out of stock as much and responds to your emails.

Yeah, I've never understood why people are so excited about her shit quality cables. Retrogamingcables.com is top notch quality - I've bought MD and NG premium RGB cables from them and they are fantastic.

Teknoman

Yeah thats who i used for genesis cables. Unfortunately they are out of stock till November. So now i guess i'll just wait for them... Unless someone knows of someone else who makes them for a decent price.

I think the ebay seller was the only one with saturn rgb scart + rca audio, so thats one reason to eye her shop.

Yeah, I've never understood why people are so excited about her shit quality cables. Retrogamingcables.com is top notch quality - I've bought MD and NG premium RGB cables from them and they are fantastic.
...because for a lot of people, they turned out not to be shit quality? I'm guessing, anyway. I've not bought SCART cables from anyone yet.

Wasn't this also the site that charged $65 for a Genesis 1 SCART cable with pure sync?

Top Bottom