• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Bar81

...because for a lot of people, they turned out not to be shit quality? I'm guessing, anyway. I've not bought SCART cables from anyone yet.

Wasn't this also the site that charged $65 for a Genesis 1 SCART cable with pure sync?

I don't think so, but since it's no longer on their site I can't be sure. Prices for cables on the site are normal and nothing to get excited about.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Buying Super Famicom carts in Japan really brought into perspective how dumb the pricing on US SNES games are... And not just during the recent price bubble, but even over the last 15 years. Games that we think of as $15, $40 or $100 might be $2.50, $5 or $20 for the very top notch stuff. That's what you'd think old video games should be worth, right?

There are certain rare exceptions that command a high price, of course.. But it seems to me that most of the Super Famicom staples are cheap, while even the mainstream SNES games are all highly expensive.

baphomet

Buying Super Famicom carts in Japan really brought into perspective how dumb the pricing on US SNES games are... And not just during the recent price bubble, but even over the last 15 years. Games that we think of as $15, $40 or $100 might be $2.50, $5 or $20 for the very top notch stuff. That's what you'd think old video games should be worth, right?

There are certain rare exceptions that command a high price, of course.. But it seems to me that most of the Super Famicom staples are cheap, while even the mainstream SNES games are all highly expensive.

Exactly, I'll pick up the super famicom version over an expensive us version every chance I get.

The wife and I have always wanted to go to Japan, and I've flat out told her that I'd be hauling a ton of games back with me. Might even have to ship 'em. Oddly, she's been OK with it. What are game prices like over there?
Well, it depends on the place where you live or in your case visit. In my case, it's Fukuoka and to be honest, it's pretty difficult to find boxed SFC games. Beside Mandarake there aren't that many places around which have boxed SFC games, since almost all Manga Soukos closed. Same goes for Miyazaki/Miyakonojo, when I go there for a family visit. Carts only.
So the games I bought for my friend are bought at the Mandarake in Fukuoka and at a Super Potato in Osaka. All together I paid something like $80 for that haul, but they are all complete and almost mint. I guess in Tokyo you can get those cheaper tho, but I haven't been there for a while. Also, I'm not a collector myself.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Exactly, I'll pick up the super famicom version over an expensive us version every chance I get.

I had a nerd desire to buy the US version of a game wherever one existed... But that faith was tested when I came across Famicom games Mighty Final Fight and Gun*Nac for $10 apiece. They might be $100 or double for the US versions, and if I logically looked at it - that's a big price that I'd probably never get around to pay.

Well, it depends on the place where you live or in your case visit. In my case, it's Fukuoka and to be honest, it's pretty difficult to find boxed SFC games. Beside Mandarake there aren't that many places around which have boxed SFC games, since almost all Manga Soukos closed. Same goes for Miyazaki/Miyakonojo, when I go there for a family visit. Carts only.
So the games I bought for my friend are bought at the Mandarake in Fukuoka and at a Super Potato in Osaka. All together I paid something like $80 for that haul, but they are all complete and almost mint. I guess in Tokyo you can get those cheaper tho, but I haven't been there for a while. Also, I'm not a collector myself.
I was at that Fukuoka Mandarake recently.. It was still a boxed game mecca compared to North America!

For myself, Japan was even more of a retro game paradise than I guessed. So cheap! I got 36 games across Famicom, Super Famicom, PS1, and PS2 for (I estimate) less than $200. Most of them were Japan-exclusives too. I also got a minty grey Super Famicom console for $30.

And actually Tokyo is more expensive. The smaller cities and smaller stores are better. What I did is tour the smaller cities, grabbed games for cheap. Then I went back to Akihabara's Super Potato when I was on the way out of the country - for the best games I didn't find for cheap.

I was at that Fukuoka Mandarake recently.. It was still a boxed game mecca compared to North America!

For myself, Japan was even more of a retro game paradise than I guessed. So cheap! I got 36 games across Famicom, Super Famicom, PS1, and PS2 for (I estimate) less than $200. Most of them were Japan-exclusives too. I also got a minty grey Super Famicom console for $30.

And actually Tokyo is more expensive. The smaller cities and smaller stores are better. What I did is tour the smaller cities, grabbed games for cheap. Then I went back to Akihabara's Super Potato when I was on the way out of the country - for the best games I didn't find for cheap.
Well yeah, Mandarake in Fukuoka has that one shelf (and a bit more) with boxed SFC games. But beside that, it's really hard to find boxed games in and around Fukuoka. There were some Manga Soukos months ago which had quite some boxed SFC games, which slowly disappeared over time until they closed. The only one left is Hobby & Books 007 in Kaizuka, but their set of boxed SFC games is... ok at best. So if Mandarake ever decides to close their shop, it's gonna be nearly impossible to get that stuff in Fukuoka. Also because GEO etc. decided to take SFC games off the shelves..

As for Super Potato, yeah that place is not cheap. I guess I kinda lucked out on the games which I bought for my friend. And you're right, smaller cities are better for boxed games, especially if they have Manga Soukos.
Hmm, I don't remember the stores I visited in Tokyo, but some of them were pretty good regarding boxed SFC games and pricing. The next time I go to Tokyo I may check some of them for my friend, so I can report back.

HaL64

Some recent local pickups.
Could not believe the incredible condition of these:
DSC08289.jpg

DSC08286.jpg

HaL64

Not only does it not up the value, I'm pretty sure the display boxes are worth less.

yes upon further investigation, they aren't worth as much. Actually when I picked it up I didn't know it was "for display only". It's sneakily hidden at the top, instead of right in the middle like all the other "for display only".
The rest of the game is in perfect condition, which I have never seen in a yoshi's island. Even the contacts are perfect and the manual looks like it was never opened.

baphomet

Not only does it not up the value, I'm pretty sure the display boxes are worth less.

This is what I thought as well. Someone's taken the game and placed it inside the 90's equivalent of a GameStop display box. That being said it still looks good, and if its for your collection I wouldn't sweat it one bit.

IrishNinja

HaL64 i am sorry to hear about your worthless, shame-inducing boxes

after careful consideration, i've decided to relieve you of them for a tenner if it's alright

oatmeal

Banned
Found a new game shop in Vegas called WII PLAY GAMES. massive selection.

I grabbed Ken Griffey for 5 bucks and a Super GameBoy.

But they had earthbound, mega man x1-3, chrono trigger, etc etc.

Chucker

I'm contemplating selling my cart only Earthbound. By selling just the cart, I could get a little over half the price of a Zelda Wii U, and can play Earthbound on it.

Decisions.

Edit: Somebody sold one for $230 on eBay cart only buy it now today. This is making it an easier decision.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm contemplating selling my cart only Earthbound. By selling just the cart, I could get a little over half the price of a Zelda Wii U, and can play Earthbound on it.

Decisions.

Edit: Somebody sold one for $230 on eBay cart only buy it now today. This is making it an easier decision.

Sounds like a smart plan. You won't have the geek cred, but you will have the same game plus a new console.

Chucker

Sounds like a smart plan. You won't have the geek cred, but you will have the same game plus a new console.

Yeah. It makes the most sense financially, and it's nice to have had it for the past 2 years, but Earthbound is special to me. It's bringing the SNES to my Grandmother's house when we were getting work done on our house in the summer and the pipes burst. It's trading it between friends since we didn't buy a lot of games back then. This isn't my childhood cart, I have no real attachment to it.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yeah. It makes the most sense financially, and it's nice to have had it for the past 2 years, but Earthbound is special to me. It's bringing the SNES to my Grandmother's house when we were getting work done on our house in the summer and the pipes burst. It's trading it between friends since we didn't buy a lot of games back then. This isn't my childhood cart, I have no real attachment to it.
You can also buy one of the SNES Classic Controllers from Club Nintendo Japan on eBay or get a third party adapter that connects your OG pad to a Wiimote for the extra-authentic experience!

Chucker

I'd buy it at that price. Mega Man games are easy enough in Japanese, and I sure wouldn't pay the $150+ Mega Man X3 commands now.

-KRS-

Thanks. I actually already bought it. Was just wondering if it was worth it. It seemed like a reasonable price but was just curious. And damn, $150? I knew it was expensive but holy shit. I'm not sure I would pay that much for a Mega Man game. Is X2 cheaper or more expensive btw?

A few years ago I JUST missed an auction for Rockman X3 CIB in great condition that went for around $35 because my browser fucked up when I put in my bid. I was so mad I punched a pillow afterwards haha. Has anyone else had a pillow-punching experience like that with bidding on retro games? :D

D-e-f-

Banned
Thanks. I actually already bought it. Was just wondering if it was worth it. It seemed like a reasonable price but was just curious. And damn, $150? I knew it was expensive but holy shit. I'm not sure I would pay that much for a Mega Man game. Is X2 cheaper or more expensive btw?

A few years ago I JUST missed an auction for Rockman X3 CIB in great condition that went for around $35 because my browser fucked up when I put in my bid. I was so mad I punched a pillow afterwards haha. Has anyone else had a pillow-punching experience like that with bidding on retro games? :D

Just yesterday. Missed out on a Wii with like 10 good games and a SHITTON of GameCube games (must've been 30?) that went for 82 EUR or something and I bid completely unprepared without doing the math what it would actually be worth. I just wanted a few of the games and re-sell the rest individually. I was so mad.

Teknoman

X2 is cheaper but not that cheap. 60 bucks. Just go for japanese for 7, X2, and X3.

And yes I have. Especially sucks when something distracts you at the last minute, and then your cell phone goes off with that ebay notification tone x_x

pretty much more than half the time, now i shamelessly use a sniping site to keep things under control/let me sleep

What I don't get, I'm sure some people will disagree, is why people don't price check between amazon and eBay. I've seen games go for 85 when they're only 50 on amazon.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
eh i dont like rolling the dice with amazon but ill use it if i have to just never know if your package is going to be the thing you bought or a severed human hand

I don't know if people here in Japan are noticing the interest in Super Famicom games or if it's a normal swing in price, but I've noticed a lot of games going up in price considerably. I got Rockman X2 for 100 yen ($1) two years ago, which was probably low even then, but the stores I frequent now have it from 800-1000 yen, and X3 has gone from about 1000 to 2000 recently. I haven't even seen copies of X1 much in a while, and it was going for 100 also at most stores. That said, I live in the country, and prices are usually cheaper than the big cities and probably fairly irregular based on local supply and demand. Even national chains like Book-Off don't seem to always have the same prices.

I don't know if people here in Japan are noticing the interest in Super Famicom games or if it's a normal swing in price, but I've noticed a lot of games going up in price considerably. I got Rockman X2 for 100 yen ($1) two years ago, which was probably low even then, but the stores I frequent now have it from 800-1000 yen, and X3 has gone from about 1000 to 2000 recently. I haven't even seen copies of X1 much in a while, and it was going for 100 also at most stores. That said, I live in the country, and prices are usually cheaper than the big cities and probably fairly irregular based on local supply and demand. Even national chains like Book-Off don't seem to always have the same prices.

I wonder if they're catching on to foreigner's thirst for old games.

Grief.exe

I will probably just settle for the Mega Man X collection for my X fix.

Would be difficult to justify that kind of investment for X2 and X3 SNES copies.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm looking forward to the day when retro gaming gets acknowledged in a whole other way and we get actual new production runs of classic consoles and games which are then sold as brand new for crazies like us.

IrishNinja

What I don't get, I'm sure some people will disagree, is why people don't price check between amazon and eBay. I've seen games go for 85 when they're only 50 on amazon.

yeah since im okay with loose carts (as long as the label's intact, which should be stated in description) ill always check. its not often i find stuff cheaper than auctions (though BIN's yeah), but one of my last purchases was the SFC Demon's Crest from amazon...took like 2 months to arrive but was way cheaper!

yeah since im okay with loose carts (as long as the label's intact, which should be stated in description) ill always check. its not often i find stuff cheaper than auctions (though BIN's yeah), but one of my last purchases was the SFC Demon's Crest from amazon...took like 2 months to arrive but was way cheaper!

Do you need Japanese Knowlege to play Demon's Blazon? Demon's Crest is the last one I need to complete the trilogy*, and anything to take the sting out of the price would be welcome.

*I'm also missing the GB remake of Makaimura Gaiden II, but that's another hard pill to swallow, lol.

Champaign IL area GAF (I know there's at least a few in here), there's a Disc Replay opening up next to the Target. Hopefully they have good selection and prices. They are "open" already, but are only buying for the next couple months. Pretty weird since they're playing ads on the radio already. Drove over there all excited, walked in to see 100% empty shelves and three employees just sitting around.

HaL64

Champaign IL area GAF (I know there's at least a few in here), there's a Disc Replay opening up next to the Target. Hopefully they have good selection and prices. They are "open" already, but are only buying for the next couple months. Pretty weird since they're playing ads on the radio already. Drove over there all excited, walked in to see 100% empty shelves and three employees just sitting around.

Argh, yeah I did the same thing. Thought it was open already, drove out there. Closed with empty shelves.
Actually, I wonder how places like that get their initial stock.
Did they say when they actually open?

Argh, yeah I did the same thing. Thought it was open already, drove out there. Closed with empty shelves.
Actually, I wonder how places like that get their initial stock.
Did they say when they actually open?

Yeah, the fact they are playing ads on the radio like they are open already is really weird. He said a couple months, then he said 8-12 weeks. He said there'd be a big grand opening when the time actually comes.

Seemed a little desperate for people to sell them stuff. Told me to tell anyone I know who wants to sell stuff to come in there.

Probably bad news for that Live Action Games that opened a year ago. Fuck that place and their shitty prices.

Top Bottom