• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Grief.exe

MAJOR score incoming :D ill post up pics when I get home.

tumblr_mfc7zg5Ml11s042xio1_500.gif

iamtheb

A computer repair shop nearby has recently gotten in to the retro game business. The owners sells cart only games at a $10 flat rate and $20 for boxed items. Handheld games go for $5 and $10. The shop is literally five minutes from my home and office so I drop in usually 1-2 times a week. They know me pretty well now and will pull stuff out of the back for me that they just got when I come in. Tuesday I went in and the guy told me to hang on as someone just traded in about 10 old SNES games. He emptied the bag out on the table and the first game I see is a very nice copy of The Adventures of Batman & Robin. I grab it quickly and then look at the rest and think about getting a copy of Super Double Dragon.

I happen to see two more games in the pile that I had mistaken for something else. I decide to check Pricecharting to check the rarity (I don't sell anything but duplicates to help offset some of my costs) and I immediately put down Double Dragon and grab the other two and head to check out.

Long story short, I pay $30 and tax and came out with:

The Adventures of Batman & Robin
King of Dragons
and Knights of the Round

They're not super valuable but they're games I wouldn't have played otherwise. I haven't tried King of Dragons yet but I'm really digging Knights of the Round and Batman (even though I'm terrible at it).

Grief.exe

Yup. I own it and can attest to its insane difficulty.

But that's a Genesis game, and this is the SNES thread. There is an Adventures of Batman and Robin for the SNES, but it's by Konami, and a totally different game from the Genesis one.

He mentioned at one point it was available on SNES as well, perhaps he was mistaken.

I don't know anything about the series other than a couple of cartoon episodes I watched in the 90's.

EDIT: Wow apparently they are titled the same, but each game has a different developer and publisher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Batman_&_Robin_(video_game)

They are two, completely different games. This seems like a gross misappropriation of resources. And I think Capcom makes some foolish decisions with their allocation of manpower.

He mentioned at one point it was available on SNES as well, perhaps he was mistaken.

I don't know anything about the series other than a couple of cartoon episodes I watched in the 90's.

EDIT: Wow apparently they are titled the same, but each game has a different developer and publisher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Batman_&_Robin_(video_game)

Four completely different games, actually, not two. The Sega CD and Game Gear "Adventures of Batman & Robin" games are also entirely different from the SNES and Genesis games. The Sega CD game is a behind-the-vehicle driving shooter (in the style of the driving levels added to the Sega CD port of Batman Returns) which makes impressive use of the Sega CD's hardware scaling. It's by the same studio who made the Genesis game, Clockwork Tortoise, but it's a completely different game, The Game Gear game, meanwhile, is a basic side-scrolling action/platform game, in the style of innumerable other Game Gear titles, and it's by Novotrade (who did a bunch of stuff for Sega).

They are two, completely different games. This seems like a gross misappropriation of resources. And I think Capcom makes some foolish decisions with their allocation of manpower.
Huh? Different publishers got the SNES and Sega rights. Sega got the rights for their platforms, and released games on the Genesis, Sega CD, and Game Gear, and Konami got the rights for Nintendo, and released a SNES game. How is that a waste of resources?

Rich!

I found a retro game store whilst I was in town earlier. They had an N64 for £39 in the display cabinet there. Not that bad - I spent £40 on my Japanese console w/expansion pak.

I then saw the SNES next to it.

£89.99!! Super Mario All Stars Included!

It was admittedly in good condition, but holy fucking shit. I've seen mint condition boxed SNES consoles on ebay with Mario Allstars+World included go for half that amount. Also when I inspected it closely, I noticed the american style pad was a knockoff.

who are they kidding with that price?!

Mzo

Heh, pretty much. So many games sharing a license in common, but having completely different Genesis and SNES versions. Often times from the same company! (Konami did that a lot, for instance.)
I miss the days of mostly exclusives. It's cool to go back and play, for example, every Batman game to see how different they all were.

Grief.exe

Its not as interesting a haul if you are just going to turn around and sell them for a profit. I was more interested to see them go into your collection and get played.

I don't know why that should effect the outcome, but it changes how I feel about it.

Olly88

I found a retro game store whilst I was in town earlier. They had an N64 for £39 in the display cabinet there. Not that bad - I spent £40 on my Japanese console w/expansion pak.

I then saw the SNES next to it.

£89.99!! Super Mario All Stars Included!

It was admittedly in good condition, but holy fucking shit. I've seen mint condition boxed SNES consoles on ebay with Mario Allstars+World included go for half that amount. Also when I inspected it closely, I noticed the american style pad was a knockoff.

who are they kidding with that price?!

There's a retro shop here too, and their prices are generally more expensive than eBay :(

Anyone know any good retro shops in Dorset (UK)?

Its not as interesting a haul if you are just going to turn around and sell them for a profit. I was more interested to see them go into your collection and get played.

I don't know why that should effect the outcome, but it changes how I feel about it.

Absolutely. The guy took a nice find and is making it a shit find for whoever buys it on eBay. I get needing money, but its reasons lie this that make finding nice hauls in the wild so rare these days...

Teknoman

Im just glad he got em at a thrift shop. Just shows that even if you keep coming up empty...one day you'll hit a nice jackpot just by stopping by.

Also to be fair, he is putting them toward two awesome modded systems.

baphomet

Super Nintendo isn't my thing. Im a Sega guy all the way. I have all the games that I really want for SNES, including a most of the stuff I picked up today. Super Double Dragon would be the only one I want/don't have already, and to be honest, it's kinda shit. Whatever I get from this is buying a region/RGB modded turbo duo r.

Plus, I don't like boxed stuff. I'd flatten all the boxes and put them with the rest. Then shove all the carts in my SNES drawer with the rest. Someone else will enjoy these much more than I would.

Absolutely. The guy took a nice find and is making it a shit find for whoever buys it on eBay. I get needing money, but its reasons lie this that make finding nice hauls in the wild so rare these days...

If you bother to look around you can find good stuff all the time. I find excellent deals just about every week. Last week I got a genesis 2, sega cd 2, 2 official 6 button wireless controllers, and about 30 genesis 32x games for $20. theyre out there if you actually go out and look. They've added to my decently sized collection for the past few years. There's no reason to pass up a good deal on doubles or things that you aren't interested in if they're a good deal.

Grief.exe

Super Nintendo isn't my thing. Im a Sega guy all the way. I have all the games that I really want for SNES, including a most of the stuff I picked up today. Super Double Dragon would be the only one I want/don't have already, and to be honest, it's kinda shit. Whatever I get from this is buying a region/RGB modded turbo duo r.

Plus, I don't like boxed stuff. I'd flatten all the boxes and put them with the rest. Then shove all the carts in my SNES drawer with the rest. Someone else will enjoy these much more than I would.

Fair enough, as I said it shouldn't really affect anything.

Just, for some reason, doesn't make it as cool if you are just turning around and selling them.

HaL64

Yeah, the fact they are playing ads on the radio like they are open already is really weird. He said a couple months, then he said 8-12 weeks. He said there'd be a big grand opening when the time actually comes.

Seemed a little desperate for people to sell them stuff. Told me to tell anyone I know who wants to sell stuff to come in there.

Probably bad news for that Live Action Games that opened a year ago. Fuck that place and their shitty prices.

Well, sometimes the prices there are decent. Like basically eBay prices. It depends. If the game is a known expensive game, they charge way too much, beyond what their database tells them to charge. If it's rare, but they don't know better, you can get a good deal.
I'd be surprised if Disc Replay was that much better. It can't be worse than Exile though.

Gotta respect the eBay hustle, especially since it's for a good cause. DSLites are good sellers too. People still want them since they're the most modern thing that will still play GBA carts. That haul is a $60 investment that should turn a massive profit.

Mzo

Fair enough, as I said it shouldn't really affect anything.

Just, for some reason, doesn't make it as cool if you are just turning around and selling them.
I feel the same way. Nothing wrong with selling stuff on eBay, we all do it. I generally don't post about it. A dude who loves games and makes a great find is always a cool story to read. A reseller selling cool stuff on eBay happens every day.

Again, nothing wrong with it, I eBay stuff for profit all the time to buy other cool shit and a Duo R is definitely worth it, but it takes away from the whoa awesome factor. Not a big deal.

And yeah, there's always good stuff if you go out and look unless you're in South Florida. This place is as close to a video game dead zone as I've EVER lived in.

iamtheb

Hey, guys. This is not SNES related but I figure someone here would know.

I went to the local Salvation Army this morning. I happened to find an old gaming console from '78, the APF M-1000. I'm not super interested in systems from this era, but this caught my eye. I got it for $15.

My question is, is this thing rare? I can't even find an eBay listing. It's a neat item to own but if it could help me flesh out my Nintendo Collections, I'd be up for trading/selling it. It looks to be in great shape but I haven't been able to test it. As soon as I got home, we had to leave for a wedding. Thanks!

Cody_D165

Banned
Hey, guys. This is not SNES related but I figure someone here would know.

I went to the local Salvation Army this morning. I happened to find an old gaming console from '78, the APF M-1000. I'm not super interested in systems from this era, but this caught my eye. I got it for $15.

My question is, is this thing rare? I can't even find an eBay listing. It's a neat item to own but if it could help me flesh out my Nintendo Collections, I'd be up for trading/selling it. It looks to be in great shape but I haven't been able to test it. As soon as I got home, we had to leave for a wedding. Thanks!

Theres a couple completed eBay sales for between $40-60 it looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-APF...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cd589a6d2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-APF...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a8489fb43

I'm assuming there's no box, but if there is a boxed one sold for about $260 with 4 complete games.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APF-MP-1000-and-5-games-/281132563667?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4174ce7cd3

iamtheb

Thank you sir. I couldn't seem to find any on eBay. Your skills are greater than mine.

EDIT: Actually those are all MP-1000s though I have no idea if there's much a difference between M-1000s and MP-1000s.

Cody_D165

Banned
Thank you sir. I couldn't seem to find any on eBay. Your skills are greater than mine.

EDIT: Actually those are all MP-1000s though I have no idea if there's much a difference between M-1000s and MP-1000s.

Oh geez. So they are.

My mistake, apologies. Looks like there's one M1000 that sold for about $50. I'm not too familiar with the APF consoles so I got them confused. Still seems like a pretty solid deal you got though. Supposedly, the M1000 came with a built-in game, so if you can get it hooked up go ahead and try powering it on without a cartridge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-APF...0849368400?pt=Video_Games&hash=item5658584950

Edit: some quick researching found this: http://gamester81.com/history-of-consoles-apf-mp1000-1978/
In 1978 APF Electronics Inc decided to enter the home video computer market by introducing the APF MP1000 home console. APF also released an identical console called the M1000.

Oh geez. So they are.

My mistake, apologies. Looks like there's one M1000 that sold for about $50. I'm not too familiar with the APF consoles so I got them confused. Still seems like a pretty solid deal you got though. Supposedly, the M1000 came with a built-in game, so if you can get it hooked up go ahead and try powering it on without a cartridge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-APF...0849368400?pt=Video_Games&hash=item5658584950

Edit: some quick researching found this: http://gamester81.com/history-of-consoles-apf-mp1000-1978/

Yeah, websites seem to treat the two the same, so it makes sense that they're the same console. Under either name, or the "APF Imagination Master" version with the M(P)-1000 console attached to a computer addon, APF only released one console with cartridges -- their other systems were standalone pong clone units.

inner-G

Banned
Yeah, the fact they are playing ads on the radio like they are open already is really weird. He said a couple months, then he said 8-12 weeks. He said there'd be a big grand opening when the time actually comes.

Seemed a little desperate for people to sell them stuff. Told me to tell anyone I know who wants to sell stuff to come in there.

Probably bad news for that Live Action Games that opened a year ago. Fuck that place and their shitty prices.
Holy Shit, Chambana's getting a Disc Replay?

Awesome. I can browse it on my lunch breaks!

iamtheb

Very nice!

Lets say you have two copies the Bucky o Hare maunal (NES). One is a bit rough but is free from any writings. The other one is crisp but has some codes written in the notes section. Which one would you keep?

I don't know what I'd do but I would be interested in getting the one you don't keep from you. I found this game recently at a flea market for $2 and I had no clue about it. I absolutely love the game.

-KRS-

I'd keep the one in crisp condition. Who cares if someone scribbled something in the notes section? At least it's in the part that you're supposed to write in.

Chucker

I tend to only flip games that I get in large lots. The lot that I got Ducktales 2, Ninja Gaiden 3, and Super C in had like 4 SMB1/2/3's in it so most of those went to eBay.

I finally did get around to selling my N64 and games, but that went towards a Wii U as most of the 64 games worth playing will eventually be on the VC. (I hope)

Mzo

Very nice!

Lets say you have two copies the Bucky o Hare maunal (NES). One is a bit rough but is free from any writings. The other one is crisp but has some codes written in the notes section. Which one would you keep?
Undo the staples and switch only the pages that have writing on them, unless they are just way too crinkled.

Shining

I don't know what I'd do but I would be interested in getting the one you don't keep from you. I found this game recently at a flea market for $2 and I had no clue about it. I absolutely love the game.
I live in Sweden so that might be difficult :)

I'd keep the one in crisp condition. Who cares if someone scribbled something in the notes section? At least it's in the part that you're supposed to write in.

Undo the staples and switch only the pages that have writing on them, unless they are just way too crinkled.
I'm going this route.

Lettuce

I know I've said this before but I'm so glad I did the large majority of my SNES collecting back in 2004 time, in 2013 all I see it buy now auctions with starting prices of £30 or auction listings with stupidly high starting prices....pisses me off completely half the games arent even that good!

Top Bottom