• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I know I've said this before but I'm so glad I did the large majority of my SNES collecting back in 2004 time, in 2013 all I see it buy now auctions with starting prices of £30 or auction listings with stupidly high starting prices....pisses me off completely half the games arent even that good!

Yeah, the SNES market really exploded in recent years.

Raziel

Curious, if the only SNES RPGs I've played are FF4,6, and CT, what would people recommend as the next best/logical RPG to play next on that system?

Curious, if the only SNES RPGs I've played are FF4,6, and CT, what would people recommend as the next best/logical RPG to play next on that system?

Since you're a Square fan, I definitely suggest Secret of Mana. Try Super Mario RPG if you're looking for something more lighthearted.

Joseca

Banned
I just spent like $100 on a SNES with one controller, Super Mario World, Zelda, DKC and NBA Jam and waiting for them to arrive. I wasn't even born when the SNES was around (my first console was a Gamecube) so I'm interested in this console, but damn the prices are too high. I want to play some RPGs but I think those are the most expensive, so what are the games that are great and I can find it for a relatively good prices? Or should I start saving? haha

I just spent like $100 on a SNES with one controller, Super Mario World, Zelda, DKC and NBA Jam and waiting for them to arrive. I wasn't even born when the SNES was around (my first console was a Gamecube) so I'm interested in this console, but damn the prices are too high. I want to play some RPGs but I think those are the most expensive, so what are the games that are great and I can find it for a relatively good prices? Or should I start saving? haha

Jesus I'm old. Get some of the Disney games for cheap... Aladdin, Lion King, Mickeys Magical Quest, Goof Troop, all solid.

Nintendo titles that might be cheaper and still good? Kirby Dream course, Tetris Attack?, Yoshi Safari, I don't kow.

baphomet

Some guy on eBay hit me up and asked if I could RGB mod his N64. He also wanted his SNES Jr RGB modded and a power led added to it. It arrived today and I just finished everything up. I really like the RGB picture on his Jr. It's got a super clean picture. Almost enough to go out and purchase one myself. Maybe Soon.

Just wanted to post some pics of the led power light i added. I know it's nothing spectacular, but I think it looks nice.
KUuFLqx.jpg

pG7vbxN.jpg

S460d7j.jpg
Third pic makes it look super bright when it's not actually that bright.

Neat SNES Jr. mod. I bought one last year at a yard sale for $10 as a backup if my OG ever fails. I'm considering RGB modding it. As for the power LED, I'd probably do something more discreet like hiding it under the power switch so it's only visible when in the on position. Overall really good stuff bapho

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
May aswell post here as there isnt a 64 one yet :(

Just started "collecting"

may have gone a bit mad.. and bought starcraft 64 boxed, PAL.

but I can see the fun.. this is an interesting thread, and now i'm going to go through all of the collector threads to see what people are keen for :O

iamtheb

Some guy on eBay hit me up and asked if I could RGB mod his N64. He also wanted his SNES Jr RGB modded and a power led added to it. It arrived today and I just finished everything up. I really like the RGB picture on his Jr. It's got a super clean picture. Almost enough to go out and purchase one myself. Maybe Soon.

Just wanted to post some pics of the led power light i added. I know it's nothing spectacular, but I think it looks nice.

Hey man, would you PM me a price if you'd be willing to do that for me? I have a SNES Jr and an N64 I'd like to set up like that and a potential composite mod for a Top Loading NES. It's something I thought about doing myself but I've never soldered at all before. Thanks!

plc268

Neat SNES Jr. mod. I bought one last year at a yard sale for $10 as a backup if my OG ever fails. I'm considering RGB modding it. As for the power LED, I'd probably do something more discreet like hiding it under the power switch so it's only visible when in the on position. Overall really good stuff bapho

Yea, thats how I did mine:

8156685893_99796631aa_z.jpg

Beckx

a bit off topic, but any recommendations for a soldering iron? Use would be solely for this kind of thing.

baphomet

a bit off topic, but any recommendations for a soldering iron? Use would be solely for this kind of thing.

Anything that has a programmable temp. The cheap radio shack ones will work, but its wise to get a mid range soldering station if you plan on using it a bunch.

Giever

I'm not totally sure if this is the right place for this question, buuuuut:

So, my SNES controller buttons are horribly squishy and worn down. Am I correct in thinking that if I get some of those rubber replacement button pads (or whatever you want to call them), that will basically make them good as new?

And, if so, does anyone have a recommendation for a place to order a bunch of those fairly cheap? I'd rather get more than, like, 2 of them, since I don't know how fast they'll wear out again.

Olly88

I dreamt that I found a really cheap copy of Earthbound last night
smiley-laughing0027cfw7.gif
I seem to dream about finding expensive games for low prices quite a lot which is probably quite sad. Anybody else ever have similar dreams? Please?

jbueno

I dreamt that I found a really cheap copy of Earthbound last night
smiley-laughing0027cfw7.gif
I seem to dream about finding expensive games for low prices quite a lot which is probably quite sad. Anybody else ever have similar dreams? Please?

At least twice a month, LOL. Dream about finding old games in current stores today, like say brand new Snes games on a Walmart.

baphomet

At least twice a month, LOL. Dream about finding old games in current stores today, like say brand new Snes games on a Walmart.

Yea I do as well. Not that often, but I've dreamed about finding a massive haul of super expensive games a few times.

-KRS-

So, my SNES controller buttons are horribly squishy and worn down. Am I correct in thinking that if I get some of those rubber replacement button pads (or whatever you want to call them), that will basically make them good as new?

And, if so, does anyone have a recommendation for a place to order a bunch of those fairly cheap? I'd rather get more than, like, 2 of them, since I don't know how fast they'll wear out again.

I've never replaced the rubbers myself, but I've heard that some of those replacements can feel a bit "off" compared to the original. Like they feel stiffer than the original rubbers or something. But I'm sure as you use them they'd get a bit softer. Also this probably doesn't apply for all of the replacements. Some might be better. As for where to get them, I'm guessing ebay is probably the only option. They are pretty cheap in general from what I've seen so it shouldn't be an issue to find some for a decent price. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

I wish someone would find a box of unused SNES controllers lying around in some warehouse somewhere, like that Swedish collector that acquired a box with hundreds of unused NES controllers from some place in Germany and started selling them on a Swedish auction site. I snatched up two of those and they are fantastic to use. Even had that new controller smell. Ever since then I've been on the lookout for unused SNES controllers but so far I haven't seen any. :(

And somewhat OT but apparently someone in my city has opened a café pretty close to me called Pixel K.A.F.E. where they have lots of arcade games and retro games you can play, as well as some pinball games. So the theme of the place is retro gaming and it's apparently decorated with various things from games, like blocks from Mario Bros and such. My friend told me about it the other day. Sounds frickin' awesome. The guy there told my friend that he was looking to start selling and buying retro games as well. I'm going there tomorrow to check it out. I just have to support something like that.

-KRS-

Sorry for OT again but I have to follow up my last post. So I went to this café that I mentioned in my last post today. I went there with my sister at around 3 PM and left at around 8 PM. That should tell you guys how much fun I had there. The owner is really awesome and great to talk with. He's a former chef and that really showed based on the food we ate there which was excellent. He was very eager to show and talk to me about all the stuff he had there. It's very clear that he's a retro game nerd just like myself. I had a great time there and right now I think it will be my new hangout to be honest. The guy told me that he'll host tournaments there for various games, so I'll definitely check that out. He said he was planning to hold a NES Tetris tournament soon so I'll definitely be there for that since I'm a Tetris geek. :p Apparently he held a Mario Kart tournament there a little while ago that turned out pretty great.

He also said he had just ordered a Tetris The Grand Master 1 arcade board, which made me very excited since that's my favorite Tetris series.
I'm still a bit chocked that there exists such a great place in my home town!

Reclaimer

I've replaced a handful of controllers' rubber pads with the little aftermarket kits. Here's some thoughts:

-The replacement A/B/X/Y buttons feel great. These are always a good option.
-The Dpad is usually too stiff, and sometimes loosens up... But it takes a LOT of play time.
-The L/R bumper rubber nubs are often sized just a bit off and don't make enough contact with the little circuit board. Luckily, these rarely actually need replacing, so you are better off using the originals.

***Before looking for replacements, you should try this first: deep clean the controller.***
Much more than half the time my issues with a controller go away after this thorough cleaning routine.

Disassemble a controller, soak all the buttons and rubber nubs and the plastic shell in soapy water, scrub clean with a toothbrush and set to dry overnight.

Clean the circuit board contacts with a white rubber eraser, and then isopropyl alcohol.

Reassemble. Don't over tighten the screws, which can actually mess with the feel of the buttons.

If they still aren't up to snuff, I take parts from other "broken" controllers, which often still have perfectly good rubber bits. These broken controllers are uber cheap and worth a shot.

Then I use the aftermarket replacements, but only where I actually need them.

Anyone in this thread interested in buying a SNES mini console? It's in great shape. Bought it probably give years ago and have hardly used it since. I'd like to sell just the console and A/V cable. I'm thinking $45 shipped in the US.

EDIT: Claimed by baphomet.

baphomet

So I picked up 2 copies of Super Castlevania IV today. Both are missing the labels though. They're both legit Majesco releases looking at the boards. What would you say these are worth?

Metzhara

God, if a complete Mega Man X is pulling around $100, I wonder what this could pull

I bought that for $2, factory sealed.

This might be odd to recognize, but I noticed the tissues in that holder are missing. I'm guessing you were super excited to get it for $2.

That said, where do you keep it? Does anyone have an idea of how to display them but at the same time prevent sun damage and fading? -Adam

baphomet

Without labels...I dunno man.

Yea I've really got no idea. The carts are super clean, they just dont have the labels on them. If anyone wants to buy one hit me up.

Anyone in this thread interested in buying a SNES mini console? It's in great shape. Bought it probably give years ago and have hardly used it since. I'd like to sell just the console and A/V cable. I'm thinking $45 shipped in the US.

Also if this is still available, I've got dibs on it. I've sent you a pm.

linkboy

This might be odd to recognize, but I noticed the tissues in that holder are missing. I'm guessing you were super excited to get it for $2.

That said, where do you keep it? Does anyone have an idea of how to display them but at the same time prevent sun damage and fading? -Adam

It's actually a napkin holder and it's now broke.

And yes, I was excited to get it for $2. I got it cheap enough that when I do decide to sell it, I'm going to get something out of it.

I keep it on the bookshelf in the living room away from any open windows (which we hardly have open anyways). I've had it for a year that way an no sun damage yet.

IISANDERII

I just got Sunset Riders for $3. Holy fuck this game is hard as shit! Thank god you can choose a character with a shotgun for a spreadshot else I wouldn't even be able to make it past the 1st stage! Fuck one hit deaths.
Were snes games generally this hard or just this one? I played a bit of Super Metroid a few months ago and it wasn't near as hard.

I just got Sunset Riders for $3. Holy fuck this game is hard as shit! Thank god you can choose a character with a shotgun for a spreadshot else I wouldn't even be able to make it past the 1st stage! Fuck one hit deaths.
Were snes games generally this hard or just this one? I played a bit of Super Metroid a few months ago and it wasn't near as hard.

It's a port of an arcade game.

Generally, arcade games are harder than console games.

B_Boss

Super Castlevania IV. Since I've only just begun collecting for SNES, this is one of those must haves I...well...must have in my collection. And I've noticed this game in particular is starting to rise in price. I have to get it before it gets to unattainable levels.

Contra III: The Alien Wars. Again, another one of those games you just want in your collection, and so far I don't have it. Plain and simple. Also, starting to become quite expensive.

Ironic that you mention these 2...a friend of mine gave me literally both of these on the same day in school years ago (and you bet your ass I still own them) lol...I hope you find your copies.

Try NES games.....I questioned my life itself with some of those goddamned titles....

Teknoman

That is one of the best buys i've seen here.

Shining

And somewhat OT but apparently someone in my city has opened a café pretty close to me called Pixel K.A.F.E. where they have lots of arcade games and retro games you can play, as well as some pinball games. So the theme of the place is retro gaming and it's apparently decorated with various things from games, like blocks from Mario Bros and such. My friend told me about it the other day. Sounds frickin' awesome. The guy there told my friend that he was looking to start selling and buying retro games as well. I'm going there tomorrow to check it out. I just have to support something like that.

Sorry for OT again but I have to follow up my last post. So I went to this café that I mentioned in my last post today. I went there with my sister at around 3 PM and left at around 8 PM. That should tell you guys how much fun I had there. The owner is really awesome and great to talk with. He's a former chef and that really showed based on the food we ate there which was excellent. He was very eager to show and talk to me about all the stuff he had there. It's very clear that he's a retro game nerd just like myself. I had a great time there and right now I think it will be my new hangout to be honest. The guy told me that he'll host tournaments there for various games, so I'll definitely check that out. He said he was planning to hold a NES Tetris tournament soon so I'll definitely be there for that since I'm a Tetris geek. :p Apparently he held a Mario Kart tournament there a little while ago that turned out pretty great.

He also said he had just ordered a Tetris The Grand Master 1 arcade board, which made me very excited since that's my favorite Tetris series.
I'm still a bit chocked that there exists such a great place in my home town!

*Snabbgooglar* Fan också, Malmö! Undrar om det finns något liknande i Stockholm. Det borde jag iofs veta i så fall ;) Sounds awesome though. Did he have any arcade shooters?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ugh. This thread brings me sadness as much as it brings joy. The pricing of SNES games is getting dumb. There are enough copies of most of these games to go around for the small handful of people who want them. The pricing is being driven up by skittish collectors who perceieve scarcity, when there is none.

I guess the value of something is based upon how much people are willing to pay for them. But supply and demand this ain't.

We shouldn't be paying this much folks. Games that had millions printed, and a few tens of thousands who want them... This situation sucks.

hausaffe

Banned
i have a like ~50 snes games without manuals or boxes, just the cardriges. are there any platic boxes i can buy that are not made for the purpose of handling an ovp game? i am from germany and all i have seen at ebay and similar are expensive hardplastic cases, that are too big for a single cartridge. same question applies to n64/gb games. i dont really want to sell them anytime, just to take care of them. anyone got an idea? maybe DIY? cheap import?

Peagles

i have a like ~50 snes games without manuals or boxes, just the cardriges. are there any platic boxes i can buy that are not made for the purpose of handling an ovp game? i am from germany and all i have seen at ebay and similar are expensive hardplastic cases, that are too big for a single cartridge. same question applies to n64/gb games. i dont really want to sell them anytime, just to take care of them. anyone got an idea? maybe DIY? cheap import?

http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/
This site has little foldable protectors for loose carts. I plan to order a big lot from them soon but so far just ordered a big SNES box for Earthbound and they're really neat.

What is OVP by the way?

hausaffe

Banned
http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/
This site has little foldable protectors for loose carts. I plan to order a big lot from them soon but so far just ordered a big SNES box for Earthbound and they're really neat.

What is OVP by the way?

sorry. its a german term that stands for "original verpackung", implying that the game still has the original box with it. was in thoughts at the moment.

thank you for the link, i will see if this fits my expectations and my money capacity.

edit: well, i would buy from that site, it is definitly in the good price range and the super nintendo and n64 cases have the exact case that i imagined.

gameboy cases on the other hand, while still very nice and by now the best thing i have found so far, are too big, id like them exactly fitted. well maybe just buy some original cases on ebay.
thank you very much

Peagles

sorry. its a german term that stands for "original verpackung", implying that the game still has the original box with it. was in thoughts at the moment.

thank you for the link, i will see if this fits my expectations and my money capacity.

edit: well, i would buy from that site, it is definitly in the good price range and the super nintendo and n64 cases have the exact case that i imagined.

gameboy cases on the other hand, while still very nice and by now the best thing i have found so far, are too big, id like them exactly fitted. well maybe just buy some original cases on ebay.
thank you very much

I figured as much, I was just curious :p I thought it was familiar I think I have seen it on eBay before actually.

Yeh that site does not have boxes for GB carts only, but should do fine for SNES and N64. Unless you got the tray cases too and displayed them inside the full size GB boxes? Hehe.

D-e-f-

Banned
sorry. its a german term that stands for "original verpackung", implying that the game still has the original box with it. was in thoughts at the moment. /QUOTE]

the term you're gonna wanna use for global communication is CIB (complete in box). :)

at the end of the day, they all sound like gang names lol

#repdatOVP

#CIBindahouse

-KRS-

*Snabbgooglar* Fan också, Malmö! Undrar om det finns något liknande i Stockholm. Det borde jag iofs veta i så fall ;) Sounds awesome though. Did he have any arcade shooters?

Yes. He had two arcade cabs that had multi-game boards/carts in them. I first thought they were MAME-cabs but when I asked he explained they weren't and showed me the insides. One had mostly NeoGeo games but also some other things, and the other one had older arcade classics like Donkey Kong, Pacman and Galaga etc. I got the high score in Galaga! Didn't play any other shooters though but I remember seeing Aero Fighters among others. He has a list of games on the website but it seems far from complete. There were way more games to choose from on those cabs than listed there.

...hmm alright I think that's enough OT in this thread for now. Sorry guys! :p

Top Bottom