• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I was watching the Giant Bomb Friday stream on YouTube and they played some Tetris Battle Gaiden. Reminded me how much I want to snag that one. Don't have my SNES hooked up at the moment though, so it seems like a waste to buy it right now.

The head to head play looks super fun.

Lol, I'm pretty sure I own TBG somewhere, but I've never actually played it. I never hear it discussed outside of Giant Bomb fans. Is the game actually any good?

Mzo

TL;DR if you ever see a garage sale that says SNES on craigslist you need to be there yesterday apparently

Pretty much, it's an awful scene now. The letters "SNES" are like the douchebag signal for these fuckers. I showed up at enough garage sales on time (no early birds!) to know that fuck you, you have to get there earlier because even if you personally don't want to be the creep that hangs out in your car right outside somebody's house the reseller will. Sale starts at 7 am? Oh, all the games are gone. Sorry, this guy was here earlier.

Half the time it doesn't even make it to the garage sale part. They will contact the guy selling and try to buy them out with lowball offers. I'm not about to start doing that.

It got discouraging and I just stopped looking. This one sounded good, though!

I was watching the Giant Bomb Friday stream on YouTube and they played some Tetris Battle Gaiden. Reminded me how much I want to snag that one. Don't have my SNES hooked up at the moment though, so it seems like a waste to buy it right now.

The head to head play looks super fun.

I wish there was a fan translation of it.

They really have to charge right around the same price or higher. If lower then other dickass resellers will just buy and sell on ebay. There is no winning, just getting lucky with something before a reseller hits it.

Ebay and paypal will take 13% of your profits, and then you have to pay for shipping. That leaves a little wiggle room to offer things at a price that allows the buyer to feel like they're getting a good enough deal and to cut into potential profits a reseller would make by just swooping in and buying everything.

I'm lucky enough to now have four good places around that sell below ebay prices. I will admit I think there was a reseller coming in to the one that sold shit for the cheapest (Terre Haute Disc Replay). Sometimes you'd go in and they'd have mountains of NES/SNES games. Sometimes they would literally have nothing but sports and Mario/Duck Hunt. They did up their prices some months ago as a result. But, they are still below ebay.

There is one place around that sells at ebay prices. I'll occasionally go there and buy something if I really want it. But, of course, I don't frequent them as much.

And there's one place that sells above ebay prices. And, yeah, fuck them.

Teknoman

Why isn't there a Nintendo 64 collecting thread yet? I've been collecting for that after being away from it since 1999. It's nice to introduce my kids to it & show them what gaming was like in the 90's.

Hey now, SNES was nineties-ish too. But yeah with threads being moved around to community and general, they may be hard to find.

Mail arrived:

mE897MZ.jpg

Fucking reeks of smoke, but is in pretty great condition. Not sure I've ever actually played it. One more off the list.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Hi all, I just registered here and since the SNES/SFC is my favorite gaming platform, I thought I'd share a little background and some pictures of my collection!

I started gaming with C64 and NES, but the bulk of my gaming years and elementary school days have been reserved for the SNES. I'm 32 now, so I fell right in when the SNES was released. Being from Europe, I started out with PAL games. Luckily, we had an import gamestore not far away, so I was able to play games like Chrono Trigger (my favorite game still) not much later than when they were released in the states. I received most PAL and US games as birthday presents or Xmas gifts and the like back when they were released. I only bought a few of them around 2002 or so, both Terranigma's and the Lufia games I think. The bulk of my SFC collection I bought around 2006 or so.

PAL collection
11480218163_a79aa76735_o.png

The big Metroid box includes the player's guide. You see 2 Terranigma's (both English versions) as 1 of them is factory sealed with the red Nintendo marked seal. I have no idea what they are worth now really.

Velinos

Awesome collection there. You rarely see boxes in that good of condition. Treasure those Terranigma's. It is one of the best games we never got here in the US.

kengle3

Neo Member
Getting in complete copies of Sutte Hakkun and Star Ocean soon for my Super Famicom. Really looking forward to trying them out. =)

Teknoman

Had to post this:

Because i've been talking about old school gaming to friends and family alot since last year, some of them have gotten back into it (not as heavy as I have, but a DKC or NBA Jam here and there). Never thought it would result in this for Christmas though:

jbQnuXEszSPY5.jpg

Awesome part is that i've never played either.

TnK

I received my SNES today and plugged in to a CRT to play, and wow, it looks a lot better than running it on an emulator. My friend wants to lend me his S-Video cable, as he tells me that it will make the games look even better.

23 year late review of the console:
- Quality is cheap, and I mean really cheap. Feels like it is fake. I say this because I bought a fake SNES before this one.
- Controller's buttons are mushy. I don't know if this is because the one I got is used and old, but the Wii SNES pad from Club Nintendo is the same as well.
- I wish I had the boxes for the carts I bought =(
- The system runs instantly, that is really amazing. You just plug the game, and BOOM, it runs. I love it.

Overall, I am really happy I got this important piece of gaming history, on top of that, really glad I still have a CRT to play it on. Can't wait for my copy of LttP to arrive and start playing it. It is time to start building my collection, I just hope that it does not destroy my wallet.

Aladdin? Time to track that game down. I remember it being really good (my cousins had it). Which is better though, the Genesis or the SNES version?

Console has a bit of black smudges here and there, can alcohol fix that?

Rich!

I received my SNES today and plugged in to a CRT to play, and wow, it looks a lot better than running it on an emulator. My friend wants to lend me his S-Video cable, as he tells me that it will make the games look even better.

- Quality is cheap, and I mean really cheap. Feels like it is fake. I say this because I bought a fake SNES before this one.
- Controller's buttons are mushy. I don't know if this is because the one I got is used and old, but the Wii SNES pad from Club Nintendo is the same as well.
- The system runs instantly, that is really amazing. You just plug the game, and BOOM, it runs. I love it.

Overall, I am really happy I got this important piece of gaming history, on top of that, really glad I still have a CRT to play it on. Can't wait for my copy of LttP to arrive and start playing it. It is time to start building my collection, I just hope that it does not destroy my wallet.

Aladdin? Time to track that game down. I remember it being really good (my cousins had it). Which is better though, the Genesis or the SNES version?

The issue with your SNES is that it's the American version and not the superior JP and PAL design:

Teknoman

I'd just wet a magic eraser and gently scrub the black spots.

And yeah, playing all these cartridges lately makes me impatient for even short load times lol.

It's a very, very contentious issue on GAF.

Personally, I prefer the Genesis game, but both games are must-plays. Don't let anyone tell you either version is bad, because that's flat-out untrue.

TnK

I'd just wet a magic eraser and gently scrub the black spots.

And yeah, playing all these cartridges lately makes me impatient for even short load times lol.
Magic erasers use alcohol, right?

It's a very, very contentious issue on GAF.

Personally, I prefer the Genesis game, but both games are must-plays. Don't let anyone tell you either version is bad, because that's flat-out untrue.
I will try both then.

The issue with your SNES is that it's the American version and not the superior JP and PAL design:

Wow, that thing is a real beauty o.o

Was it possible owning a PAL/JP SNES and running US/JAP carts? No, I don't want to own PAL carts, because 50 Hz is evil and I am happy that it died.

Oh yeah, are there good new SNES pad replicas around?

entremet

I prefer the SNES version, by a good bit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wow, that thing is really a beauty o.o

Was it possible owning a PAL/JP SNES and running US/JAP carts? No, I don't want to own PAL carts, because 50 Hz is evil and I am happy that it died.

Oh yeah, are there good new SNES pad replicas around?
US games are too wide to fit in a Japanese Super Famicom, but if you widened the cart slot it would fit (that's ugly IMO).

Super Famicom games fit in a US SNES, but there are little tabs inside the SNES slot that should be pried out before they fit.

Personally, I have a US SNES and Super Famicom, no modding necessary. I like having both designs, though Super Famicom is superior.

Rich!

Another solution is to get an extender for the cart slot (they do exist and look like an action replay/gameshark) or if you're up to it, build one yourself.

TnK

Too wide eh? Hmm.

Regarding the extender, I remember my cousins owning that back in the day to run JP games on their US SNES.

Teknoman

iLBFrGndLvB2e.gif

Aladdin is SO FUN. How did I miss this? And the soundtrack is classic early SNES Capcom.

The Caves of Wonder

Thats what I like about Capcom made Disney games, they take the source material and then form it as a normal game would be developed, not just trying to accurately copy the TV show or movie as a game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
iLBFrGndLvB2e.gif

Aladdin is SO FUN. How did I miss this? And the soundtrack is classic early SNES Capcom.

The Caves of Wonder

Thats what I like about Capcom made Disney games, they take the source material and then form it as a normal game would be developed, not just trying to accurately copy the TV show or movie as a game.
That was pretty much any licensed games back in the day, was it not? I don't remember any kind of accuracy to show plot lines.

Teknoman

That was pretty much any licensed games back in the day, was it not? I don't remember any kind of accuracy to show plot lines.

Well yeah, but some game developers seemed to concerned with mimicking the animation / soundtrack from the movie (Virgin for example) among other things.

Mzo

Magic erasers use alcohol, right?

No, it's more like microfiber sandpaper. It's fantastic but going nuts with it can smooth out bumpy textures on plastic, so be careful.

Asking which version of Aladdin is best suggests that they're similar games at all. Subject matter aside they're totally different and both easily worth owning. Go for broke.

TnK

I regret not buying a Super Famicom. It is much cheaper, comes in box at mint condition, and has free shipping. I just need an adapter to run ntsc games.
81$ plus free shipping for a mint condition super famicom. Ah well, the one I got is really clean as well, just need to wipe some stuff off.

Just out of curiosity, what is the general ballpark selling/asking price for a PAL version SNES and games like SMW, Aladdin & Super Castlevania IV (unfortunately) without their boxes?

Ive managed to hold onto mine for about 20 years now and I'm fairly sure its in decent working condition.

I regret not buying a Super Famicom. It is much cheaper, comes in box at mint condition, and has free shipping. I just need an adapter to run ntsc games.
81$ plus free shipping for a mint condition super famicom. Ah well, the one I got is really clean as well, just need to wipe some stuff off.

Japan uses NTSC signal too.

Did you mean to say "American games" instead of "NTSC games"?

linkboy

That's what I want to get as well. I picked up a SFC when I was stationed in Japan and I would love to be able to play my SNES games on it.

I hate both designs of the US SNES, such an ugly system.

Maybe it's because I grew up with it but I think the US SNES looks fine. Purple is a little weird but whatever. The truly nice thing about the US version, though, is that it's so easy to play Super Famicom games on it. Just takes some needle nose pliers and about 5 seconds of your time. The world's simplest mod - if it can even be called that.

I'd like to have some SFC controllers, though. Love the buttons.

I was never a fan of the playskool skittles buttons on international SNES and SFC. While the lavender and purple buttons on a NA SNES pad isn't ideal, but I like the tactile feel of the convex and concave buttons.

Went digging at my father-in-law's house during Christmas. Found a nice little stash.

I also found an NES power pad, semi working gameboy and a couple of GB games. All in all a successful raid, er, I mean, visit.

entremet

Went digging at my father-in-law's house during Christmas. Found a nice little stash.

I also found an NES power pad, semi working gameboy and a couple of GB games. All in all a successful raid, er, I mean, visit.

TE was so fun. Not a perfect port obviously, but very good and fun to play at home.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Thanks for the comments guys. It's hard to find SNES/SFC games in complete and mint condition nowadays, but it can still be done if you pay a premium...

Went to a small store that I recall having the Dreamcast version of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure at one point after work yesterday. They never had SNES games before (and they didn't have JoJos), but I walked out with this:

Factoring shipping and the like, seems like the same price I probably would have paid on eBay, since $45-50 seems to be the average selling price there. Any more expensive, and I probably would have passed this up.

There's another mom & pop store I usually frequent that I checked out because they had a copy of Super Mario World that I neglected to buy last week. They didn't have it, but I did walk out with three games they definitely didn't have before:

Seemed like fair prices for all three. I'm going to check out some other places I know later today. When (unsuccessfully) looking for Saturn stuff in my area last year, I've noticed that just after the holidays seem to be when SNES games seem to pop up the most. I wonder why that is.

Top Bottom