• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Yasawas

Here's a terrible question - is rubbing alcohol the same thing we quaintly call surgical spirit in the UK? I want to clean my slot (!) and games but I'd rather not ruin anything. Prior to today I did think surgical spirit and white spirit were the same thing which would not have done Umihara Kawase's resale value any favours had I followed through on it.

Bar81

Here's a terrible question - is rubbing alcohol the same thing we quaintly call surgical spirit in the UK? I want to clean my slot (!) and games but I'd rather not ruin anything. Prior to today I did think surgical spirit and white spirit were the same thing which would not have done Umihara Kawase's resale value any favours had I followed through on it.

Seems to be the same based upon my experience.

Rich!

... and play it on a super rare Turbo Duo?
That's actually more expensive. (granted, you get a kickass system out of it as well)

Nah. If you just want to play the game just rip it to your PC and use retroarch. You also have the benefit of installing the full English patch. That's what I did.

baphomet

Here's some of my pickups from today. These all totaled $10 for everything. The boxed Super Scope was given to me by a guy that I've been game hunting with here lately. He has a second complete one that he just keeps boxed. I told him I would buy his other and actually use it if he wanted to sell it. He ended up just giving it to me though. Only thing was that it didn't come with the receiver. Thankfully I know a mexican dude at the flea market that has one in a big box full of random shit. Just never needed to actually pick it up. Even better though was when I went to the local game store I like to hang out at every now and then. Just on a whim asked if they had a receiver, and the guy working said, "actually, I think we have one hanging on the wall back here." Asked him what he wanted and he said it was free. So that was super awesome. It's kinda yellowed, but I'm not complaining. While I was there I ended up getting Battleclash and Metal Warriors each for $5 to play on my newly acquired Super Scope (also ended up getting a black Play it Loud Gameboy in perfect condition for $20 that I double biverted and put a pink backlight in, also a pro sound mod). Those filled up my frequent buyer punch card for the $10 store credit which ended up going towards Bayonetta for 360. Level 7 games if you're in Denver is a good place for sure.

Super happy with today's score.

4c3bpVi.jpg

2bSzb0d.jpg

Never played either of these before, but so far they're both stupid fun. Super Scope works surprisingly well too. Much more accurate than the Menacer or Justifier for the Genesis.

I don't know how I forgot Bonkers was a Capcom developed title, but I'm glad I picked it up. It's a fun game, but it's one that very clearly draws inspiration from Buster Busts Loose. Both games have a dash function that the game's levels are built around, and part of the fun is finding a route through the stage that lets you tear through things as fast as possible. (Though Buster Busts Loose does jump from traditional platforming stages to really cool experimental stuff, like the football game level)

The Great Circus Mystery is just as great as I remember, just a little too easy. I think the first game is the best in the series, but the trilogy as a whole is great. I really need to get a copy of the third SNES game, since my only experince with Magical Quest 3 was through the GBA port, the only version of the game to come outside of Japan. One thing I didn't know was that the Genesis and SNES releases of The Great Circus Mystery have different versions of Stage 3: The Genesis version has a portion of the level where earthquakes start to occur and shakes platforms loose. The SNES version has a Super Castlevania IV-esque segment where you find a path through the level by rotating the room around. The GBA version retains that segment, I believe.

And I'm still as terrible at Slam Masters now than I was when I was a kid, heh. Still fun, though.

bronk

Banned
My gf bought me King of Dragons the other day for my Bday. It was pretty random and I was pretty stoked. Now I need Knights of the Round.

True but I'm unfamiliar with the PCE, are they and the game for that matter ridiculously expensive nowadays ?

The PC Engine itself isn't very expensive...but Dracula X is a CD game, and PC Engine CD systems (add-on or combo system) are quite expensive. Dracula X is also expensive.

It's cheaper to get a Wii and download the Virtual Console version, or get a PSP and buy the Dracula X Chronicles, which includes the original and a remake of it, as well as a new version of Symphony of the Night.

The SNES Dracula X is basically a completely different game from the PC Engine game, though.

The PC Engine itself isn't very expensive...but Dracula X is a CD game, and PC Engine CD systems (add-on or combo system) are quite expensive. Dracula X is also expensive.

It's cheaper to get a Wii and download the Virtual Console version, or get a PSP and buy the Dracula X Chronicles, which includes the original and a remake of it, as well as a new version of Symphony of the Night.

The SNES Dracula X is basically a completely different game from the PC Engine game, though.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Yeah I'm well aware of the Dracula X PCE superiority/ differences with the SNES "port" (If there's any series im versed in its CV :) just have never had any experience with the PCE in any form. After some research it would probably cost me no less then 200$ just to buy PCE and a copy of the game. Sadly this is still much cheaper then buying the SNES version (CIB that is) which generally goes for at least 300$ :(

I own Dracula X Chronicles on psp and have completed it multiple times but it is one of my least favorite of all CV's ironically, mainly due to its janky 3d polygon presentation. Loved the difficulty/level design however. And Virtual console, no qualms with that but I am trying to collect the entire series in physical copies (CIB) and this is one of the few remaining titles I need to complete my collection. I will, I must, I shall acquire it eventually!

I don't know how I forgot Bonkers was a Capcom developed title, but I'm glad I picked it up. It's a fun game, but it's one that very clearly draws inspiration from Buster Busts Loose. Both games have a dash function that the game's levels are built around, and part of the fun is finding a route through the stage that lets you tear through things as fast as possible. (Though Buster Busts Loose does jump from traditional platforming stages to really cool experimental stuff, like the football game level)
So Capcom was drawing influence from Konami well before they made seven copies of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow?

TnK

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Yeah I'm well aware of the Dracula X PCE superiority/ differences with the SNES "port" (If there's any series im versed in its CV :) just have never had any experience with the PCE in any form. After some research it would probably cost me no less then 200$ just to buy PCE and a copy of the game. Sadly this is still much cheaper then buying the SNES version (CIB that is) which generally goes for at least 300$ :(

I own Dracula X Chronicles on psp and have completed it multiple times but it is one of my least favorite of all CV's ironically, mainly due to its janky 3d polygon presentation. Loved the difficulty/level design however. And Virtual console, no qualms with that but I am trying to collect the entire series in physical copies (CIB) and this is one of the few remaining titles I need to complete my collection. I will, I must, I shall acquire it eventually!
I actually prefer the PSP version over the old one, because of the more detailed backgrounds, better music, and that secret final boss/secret stage boss. I beat the old one multiple times before playing the PSP version.

I picked up two fake SNES controllers for almost 5.5$ brand new and ironically are better than the SNES controller that came with my SNES and the club Nintendo Wii SNES controller. Is the club Nintendo Wii SNES controller a replica of the original in terms of feel?

Rich!

I picked up two fake SNES controllers for almost 5.5$ brand new and ironically are better than the SNES controller that came with my SNES and the club Nintendo Wii SNES controller. Is the club Nintendo Wii SNES controller a replica of the original in terms of feel?

The club Nintendo SNES pad is not an exact replica. The plastic is different (more textured), and the feel of it is quite a bit stiffer, especially with the D-Pad.

And I recently got hold of a brand new real SNES pad, so I have a decent reference point. Personally, it's not as good - a SNES-GC adapter is what I use for the Wii, even though I have two Club Nintendo pads.

I surprised myself at how disappointed i was when i got my club nintendo pad, feels totally different though without direct comparison i'd imagine most wouldnt know. Just annoying since it comes across a bit like a knock off

TnK

The club Nintendo SNES pad is not an exact replica. The plastic is different (more textured), and the feel of it is quite a bit stiffer, especially with the D-Pad.

And I recently got hold of a brand new real SNES pad, so I have a decent reference point. Personally, it's not as good - a SNES-GC adapter is what I use for the Wii, even though I have two Club Nintendo pads.
I see. Where can I buy brand new or ones in high condition?
Till now the fake ones (has purple in the fron and super famicom in the back lol) buttons are clicky and responsive. D-pad is not too stiff and feels really good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Girlfriend bought me one of these for Christmas... haven't opened it yet - anybody have any impressions?

Screen-Shot-2012-01-19-at-3.02.01-PM-600x358.png

kengle3

Neo Member

Rich!

I see. Where can I buy brand new or ones in high condition?
Till now the fake ones (has purple in the fron and super famicom in the back lol) buttons are clicky and responsive. D-pad is not too stiff and feels really good.

I bought mine from a local retro store for £25. I was fucking amazed, and I very very much doubt you'd be able to find a brand new one like that.

Just look for a decent quality one on ebay. Buy a few and swap the parts around between them until you have one that's perfect. You can buy new button membranes online too.

Lettuce

Awesome collection there. You rarely see boxes in that good of condition. Treasure those Terranigma's. It is one of the best games we never got here in the US.

Indeed, i wish i could go back in time to my 10 year old self and tell him to flatten the boxes down and put into storage and just keep the carts out

Anyways, here some recent pickups.......

ibkN8XNQnTGLyw.jpg

iUWg1j4GNr0dH.jpg

I actually prefer the PSP version over the old one, because of the more detailed backgrounds, better music, and that secret final boss/secret stage boss. I beat the old one multiple times before playing the PSP version.

I agree whole heartedly with the better level design, music, and extra stages but idk about the details aspect, sure its obviously more detailed thanks to processing muscle of the psp but something about its graphics and overall model presentations deters me, seems muddy/patch worked actually imo ;/

Celine

Wild Guns prices are crazy. Box and cart only selling for $600, manuals listed at $200+. At least it seems to be a good game, unlike Rendering Ranger.
RR is a good game, just not great or amazing.
Not worth the price though unless you are a collector that value very highly the games that push a system to the max.

It's sad but some games are sometime downplayed (not talking about you) because the insane prices they command.
Another example is Sapphire for PCE.

kengle3

Neo Member
Has anyone ever run into this problem before? The game is Star Ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yURgvYu8CE

Opened up the cartridge, because the only thing I could think of is perhaps the battery died and for whatever reason that is causing it to error. The battery seemed a bit low, but should work (2.8V). Unfortunately I'm out of solder so I couldn't finish installing a battery holder to make sure a new battery doesn't solve the issue. The cartridge looks very well taken care of and there is no damage to the pins. I wasn't able to find anything wrong looking at the board, but I really didn't know what to look for. I did notice hitting start gave the first note or two of the main menu, but then it crashes and goes back to the beginning of its loop. It seems to have simply died.

Opened up the cartridge, because the only thing I could think of is perhaps the battery died and for whatever reason that is causing it to error. The battery seemed a bit low, but should work (2.8V). Unfortunately I'm out of solder so I couldn't finish installing a battery holder to make sure a new battery doesn't solve the issue. The cartridge looks very well taken care of and there is no damage to the pins. I wasn't able to find anything wrong looking at the board, but I really didn't know what to look for. I did notice hitting start gave the first note or two of the main menu, but then it crashes and goes back to the beginning of its loop. It seems to have simply died.

That is some weird shit. If you haven't already, get some metal polish and use it to clean the contacts. It will get so much shit off it will blow your mind. I always open the cart up when I use polish so I can be sure to get it all cleaned off afterwards. Go over it with some rubbing alcohol, then of course make sure it's dry (and all the polish is gone).

Velinos

Got a chance to go game chasing in my hometown while I was home for Christmas. Struck out at the local thrift shops and Pawn America was overpriced and very dirty as per usual. I did check out the local used game stores and found a couple games at decent prices.

zWQmPGPl.jpg

HaL64

That is some weird shit. If you haven't already, get some metal polish and use it to clean the contacts. It will get so much shit off it will blow your mind. I always open the cart up when I use polish so I can be sure to get it all cleaned off afterwards. Go over it with some rubbing alcohol, then of course make sure it's dry (and all the polish is gone).

I've been using this lately, and it polishes up the contacts nicely. I never have to clean them again and they work 100% everytime.

-KRS-

Got some SFC games in the mail today. Super Bomberman II and Puyo Puyo. Only carts. Sorry no pics. They were really cheap though.

entremet

Here's some of my pickups from today. These all totaled $10 for everything. The boxed Super Scope was given to me by a guy that I've been game hunting with here lately. He has a second complete one that he just keeps boxed. I told him I would buy his other and actually use it if he wanted to sell it. He ended up just giving it to me though. Only thing was that it didn't come with the receiver. Thankfully I know a mexican dude at the flea market that has one in a big box full of random shit. Just never needed to actually pick it up. Even better though was when I went to the local game store I like to hang out at every now and then. Just on a whim asked if they had a receiver, and the guy working said, "actually, I think we have one hanging on the wall back here." Asked him what he wanted and he said it was free. So that was super awesome. It's kinda yellowed, but I'm not complaining. While I was there I ended up getting Battleclash and Metal Warriors each for $5 to play on my newly acquired Super Scope (also ended up getting a black Play it Loud Gameboy in perfect condition for $20 that I double biverted and put a pink backlight in, also a pro sound mod). Those filled up my frequent buyer punch card for the $10 store credit which ended up going towards Bayonetta for 360. Level 7 games if you're in Denver is a good place for sure.

Super happy with today's score.

Never played either of these before, but so far they're both stupid fun. Super Scope works surprisingly well too. Much more accurate than the Menacer or Justifier for the Genesis.
Apparently Metal Combat is one the hidden gems of the SNES library.

Depending on condition, you could probably get that in cash, lol. Fuck trades.

Man, I don't know. Can you verify that the game is actually CIB?

If so, you might as well trade for it. Cash isn't going anywhere, and you might be able to spend the cash to pick up some of the stuff you traded. I usually find that, given enough time, it's rare to miss items I've sent away in a trade.

Just my thoughts.

what would you be trading?

Man, I don't know. Can you verify that the game is actually CIB?

If so, you might as well trade for it. Cash isn't going anywhere, and you might be able to spend the cash to pick up some of the stuff you traded. I usually find that, given enough time, it's rare to miss items I've sent away in a trade.

Just my thoughts.

Depending on condition, you could probably get that in cash, lol. Fuck trades.

Well its either I trade somethings that are equivalent to $150 in trades (which my collection is nascent/still gestating so I'd rather not part with anything tbh, to early) or I could buy it outright at $150...which, from my research is a pretty fair deal for CIB CT in great condition right?

What I achieved today:

Since the storm of the century is going on outside I've spent the entire today printing and cutting game case covers. Got all my SNES stuff into cases except for the 9 games I can't find covers for.

Going to pick up a second shelf this week and give the SNES a dedicated one and get it all alphabetized.

entremet

What I achieved today:

Since the storm of the century is going on outside I've spent the entire today printing and cutting game case covers. Got all my SNES stuff into cases except for the 9 games I can't find covers for.

Going to pick up a second shelf this week and give the SNES a dedicated one and get it all alphabetized.

Nifty. Looks awesome. I wish Nintendo went the Genesis route with nice hard shell plastic. We all threw away those cardboard boxes :/ But we kept the Genny stuff since it was so nice and solid. But then Sega got cheap too lol.

TnK

What I achieved today:

How did you do this? I really need to do this with my games.

Top Bottom