• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Nice. I've only done that for one of my games so far (EarthBound). I still need to find the right size and paper type to start printing them, though.

Nifty. Looks awesome. I wish Nintendo went the Genesis route with nice hard shell plastic. We all threw away those cardboard boxes :/ But we kept the Genny stuff since it was so nice and solid. But then Sega got cheap too lol.

I'm glad they didn't. I can't stand buying Genesis stuff without their original cases, but I practically never find them. 95% of what I see is loose. Doesn't bother me with NES and SNES cause I'd rather have these universal cases than the original cardboard ones.

How did you do this? I really need to do this with my games.

Order these.

Download covers from here.

I had been going to Staples, but I got a new/nicer printer and just bought a bunch of ink and refillable cartridges off of eBay, so decided to try it at home. I was happy with the results other than how long it takes to cut them. But, after a while you start getting good at it.

Any way, you just need legal-size paper and a program to print them that won't resize them. I use GIMP 'cause paint refused to not resize them even when I was following the instructions on the cover project forum.

Know that if you go somewhere to have them print them, they could turn you away due to it being copyrighted material. I was lucky at my Staples that the guy there didn't give a fuck. Actually had an employee there asking me if I'd sell him an NES.

plc268

I had been going to Staples, but I got a new/nicer printer and just bought a bunch of ink and refillable cartridges off of eBay, so decided to try it at home. I was happy with the results other than how long it takes to cut them. But, after a while you start getting good at it.

Any way, you just need legal-size paper and a program to print them that won't resize them. I use GIMP 'cause paint refused to not resize them even when I was following the instructions on the cover project forum.

Know that if you go somewhere to have them print them, they could turn you away due to it being copyrighted material. I was lucky at my Staples that the guy there didn't give a fuck. Actually had an employee there asking me if I'd sell him an NES.

If you don't have one already, I recommend getting a Guillotine Trimmer.

Also, fwiw, I don't bother with legal paper. I have a printer that does decent borderless prints, and I use cheap photo paper ($8 for a pack of 50 letter photo sheets) for the prints. Downside is that the edges get cut off by a tiny amount, but finding good quality legal paper is a hassle and more expensive. Besides, I tried some prints on legal paper before, and even managed to perfectly trim the paper, and it was too big for my UGCs. The paper crinkled up,and I had to keep trimming it until it fit correctly. And I know nothing was getting resized for printing.

If you don't have one already, I recommend getting a Guillotine Trimmer.

Also, fwiw, I don't bother with legal paper. I have a printer that does decent borderless prints, and I use cheap photo paper ($8 for a pack of 50 letter photo sheets) for the prints. Downside is that the edges get cut off by a tiny amount, but finding good quality legal paper is a hassle and more expensive. Besides, I tried some prints on legal paper before, and even managed to perfectly trim the paper, and it was too big for my UGCs. The paper crinkled up,and I had to keep trimming it until it fit correctly. And I know nothing was getting resized for printing.

Yeah, gonna order one of those. Much better than what I have.

I just use normal ass HP legal paper, even when I went to Staples. 500 for $11 or so from Wal-Mart. No problems with crinkling, though I have heard others say the same.

If you were printing stuff that was turning out too big for cases, there had to be resizing going on. It would be impossible otherwise. The covers from the cover project are made to fit in the cases, the size of the paper doesn't affect the size of the picture, unless there is resizing/fitting of some sort happening.

The UGC covers are 11.22 x 7 inches. So if you use normal/letter paper you'll be .22" short.

plc268

Yeah, gonna order one of those. Much better than what I have.

I just use normal ass HP legal paper, even when I went to Staples. 500 for $11 or so from Wal-Mart. No problems with crinkling, though I have heard others say the same.

If you were printing stuff that was turning out too big for cases, there had to be resizing going on. It would be impossible otherwise. The covers from the cover project are made to fit in the cases, the size of the paper doesn't affect the size of the picture, unless there is resizing/fitting of some sort happening.

The UGC covers are 11.22 x 7 inches. So if you use normal/letter paper you'll be .22" short.

Yea, I have a tiny gap with letter paper. Only reason why I say I know it doesn't resize, is because I print some other stuff that require some precise measurements (like the xrgb mini remote overlays), and those have to be accurate.

I think it has more to do with my UGCs. I don't know if it's a defect, but all my UGCs are slightly bent in on the back cover. Like someone squeezed the case. I'm thinking that, if this isn't normal, is what is causing prints that are printed to the exact size to appear to be too large.

HaL64

So I decided to play the definitive version of Earthbound, the uncut english translation of Mother 2.
Bought a repro cartridge and also a box. Click on the pic below for some high res pics.
The box was made by mattyjmania of 8-bit Evolution. The boxes are available on 8Bit Evolution.
I have plans to buy other stuff that was never released. Their site seems to have decent prices.

The box is $15.

The quality of the box is about an 8 out of 10. The quality is definitely not as high quality printing as a real snes box. But it's still nice to have. It's worth the $15. You can see the quality on the "Super Nintendo" logo is not perfect.

Shining

How much would you guys pay for a complete Turrican 2 in very good condition? There is one up for bidding right now but with slight crushing to one side of the box. So tempted to bid!

Ended up at a mall I never go to any more, and what used to be a Gamestop was now some used game reseller with a bunch of SNES games. I dunno how much they usually go for, but I walked outta there with loose carts of Super Star Wars and Empire for like $8 a piece. Only took me 20 years to finally play them.

How much would you guys pay for a complete Turrican 2 in very good condition? There is one up for bidding right now but with slight crushing to one side of the box. So tempted to bid!
You mean Super Turrican 2, I'm assuming, since Turrican 2 is an Amiga/DOS game.

IIRC, the prices for that game (Super, specifically) is greatly inflated, so I'd expect to pay a damn lot for CIB, crushed or not.

You mean Super Turrican 2, I'm assuming, since Turrican 2 is an Amiga/DOS game.

IIRC, the prices for that game (Super, specifically) is greatly inflated, so I'd expect to pay a damn lot for CIB, crushed or not.

lol, even Mega Turrican is inflated as far as Genesis games go. Maybe I just don't get the appeal.

TnK

Order these.

Download covers from here.

Thanks a lot! This is perfect when not getting complete games; plus, I prefer boxes like these compared to the SNES box. So, I need a really good printer to print these huh? Hmm, better yet, I think going to a professional printing joint, and printing all my wanted covers would be a better idea.

EDIT: They don't ship outside the US....ah well.

Snow and ice needs to fuck off so I can go get another shelf from Best Buy.

I managed to find covers for most of my games on the Cover Project forums. So everything but 2 are in boxes.

Played a lot of SNES tonight.

My sister's boyfriend and I played through DKC3 until the 4th world. I can't say that I have any fond feelings for the game. I found myself rushing through the levels and not having a lot of fun. Each time a "unique" idea cropped up I found it to be irritating. I was beginning to think I was being harsh on the game until I popped in DKC2. The levels just seem to have much better flow gameplay wise. It also helps that they are designed in a visually pleasing way. DKC3 just seems like forest / tree / water / snow repeat no matter what "world" you are on. I never once began a level in DKC3 and thought "Cool!"

Anyway, I'll continue to update my opinion of this game as we push through it.

After that I played around with Mario Paint since I haven't touched it for a long time. I put nipples on a mermaid and played the fly swatter game. I didn't expect it to have multiple levels! I remember having so much fun with this as a kid. It's bonkers that Nintendo hasn't made a fully featured Mario Paint for Wii U. There's so much potential even outside of what was already done with Art Academy.

Next I played a bit more of Chrono Trigger. For the first time I got a not guilty verdict in the trial. I can't get over how well polished CT is. I swear it makes me think that every other RPG is a clunky mess. Looking forward to completing the journey on the original hardware and finding more secrets than last time!

I ordered some replacement rubber contacts for my worn out SNES controllers. If they work out well I'll probably pick up a few more for the distant future. I'm tired of using my short cord Super Famicom controllers on my SNES.

Got a second bookshelf today. Still piecing the room all together.

Have another 100 game cases and some DS cases for my Gameboy games on the way. So, going to be a bit before the room is completely back together.

Sadly, the room is too small for me to get a whole shot of it all any way, so I won't have any awesome show off pics regardless. My SNES collection looks small now that it has a shelf to itself. Only one solution for that...

Any way. Also printed off and framed some shit that I thought turned out pretty cool looking:

RJOWipt.jpg

Successful day all around.

Sakujou

Banned
Got a second bookshelf today. Still piecing the room all together.

Have another 100 game cases and some DS cases for my Gameboy games on the way. So, going to be a bit before the room is completely back together.

Sadly, the room is too small for me to get a whole shot of it all any way, so I won't have any awesome show off pics regardless. My SNES collection looks small now that it has a shelf to itself. Only one solution for that...

Any way. Also printed off and framed some shit that I thought turned out pretty cool looking:

Successful day all around.
i would kill to have such an awesome collection.... omfg...

since this new 8gb ram started, iam so uninterested in videogames but my interest in retro is growing everyday... i could slap myself to have missed all those mad ass deals at the end of the 90ies...

super metroid for a tenner as an example-.-

I believe it is this patch:
http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-2-to-EarthBound-Uncensored-patch

Not sure

But so far it's good.
I never played the original Mother 2 or Earthbound. So I have nothing to compare it to.

is that patch for the gba version or for snes?

bronk

Banned
Yea, I have a tiny gap with letter paper. Only reason why I say I know it doesn't resize, is because I print some other stuff that require some precise measurements (like the xrgb mini remote overlays), and those have to be accurate.

I think it has more to do with my UGCs. I don't know if it's a defect, but all my UGCs are slightly bent in on the back cover. Like someone squeezed the case. I'm thinking that, if this isn't normal, is what is causing prints that are printed to the exact size to appear to be too large.
i bought a couple boxes of UGC's and all of them have that bent in part like you said. When I first noticed it i thought it was a bad case but when I checked the rest they were all the same.

IrishNinja

huh...kinda drunk but not seeing a bend on the back covers of mine, you sure your batch wasn't just a bit beat up? ill double check when sober...the paper on most of my covers doesn't quite fit, but it's not nearly as bad as the DVD ones i print out & have cut, im sure those'd look far better if i went somewhere professional with the dimensions, but...honestly i see just the spine most times so i don't mind. the UGCs only look sloppy to me when the cut left a bit've white paper at the top/edges, which i should correct but it's kinda funny knowing exactly what point my girl got tired of doing em in different batches and just kinda went "man, fuck this guy".

Peagles

huh...kinda drunk but not seeing a bend on the back covers of mine, you sure your batch wasn't just a bit beat up? ill double check when sober...the paper on most of my covers doesn't quite fit, but it's not nearly as bad as the DVD ones i print out & have cut, im sure those'd look far better if i went somewhere professional with the dimensions, but...honestly i see just the spine most times so i don't mind. the UGCs only look sloppy to me when the cut left a bit've white paper at the top/edges, which i should correct but it's kinda funny knowing exactly what point my girl got tired of doing em in different batches and just kinda went "man, fuck this guy".

Man I am so drunk and had to read that like 10 timess Abe I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

IrishNinja

peagles im saying my gamestop loose PS2 discs in bootleg dvd cases with bootleg printed out art looks kinda bootleg

what you got goin over there tho

Peagles

peagles im saying my gamestop loose PS2 discs in bootleg dvd cases with bootleg printed out art looks kinda bootleg

what you got goin over there tho

Saporro and sake flowing all night, and awesome Japanese food. I think I'm gonnab e sick though now that I'm home. Bootleg sounds bootleg man, don't pretend you're someting you're not, just be true to yourself.

I got home and decided I wanted to blast this on my stereo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4LqzTam28

So I am.

IrishNinja

peagels should i just leave these discs on the floor

maybe use them as coasters and be like "PEEEGLES SAID I SHOULD DO ME MAN"

Peagles

peagels should i just leave these discs on the floor

maybe use them as coasters and be like "PEEEGLES SAID I SHOULD DO ME MAN"

there's this guy here who makes coasters out of scratched records here maybe we sould start up a business and make them outof screactched game discs and make a millions!

THen we can use it to fund our retro gaming habit!

Tomorrow if I'm not too hung over I'm going ot mod my gamecube and also do a supercic mod on my SNES but it's PAL so I also have to take the capicators our of one of my SCART cables.

IrishNinja

word peegals im gonna redo my shit over here too, mad SNES games and loose bullshit like that 25 cent Fight Club is gonna be either a weed plate or a coaster because fuck it, it doesnt desrrve a bootleg box frankly

^lookin sharp with the cases, but the framed pixel art is just dead sexy, nice one man!

Yeah. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. It's one of those things you're just not sure about until you're completely done and can stand back and see it.

i would kill to have such an awesome collection.... omfg...

since this new 8gb ram started, iam so uninterested in videogames but my interest in retro is growing everyday... i could slap myself to have missed all those mad ass deals at the end of the 90ies...

super metroid for a tenner as an example-.-

I'm just lucky to be in an area with so many game stores around. The entire SNES collection started just over a year ago. One store near me pretty much grew the collection 'cause they sold things at such crazy low prices. They have raised their prices now. Still under eBay, but not as crazy cheap.

For the NES side, I've actually had it longer. I use to just buy giant lots with a system off ebay. Put a new 72-pin in the system, keep the games I wanted, and resell the rest on eBay. There were many times I'd actually make a profit, so I was basically being paid to keep NES games. Now with so much attention on retro stuff, can't really do that any more.

I've mainly spent the last year focusing on SNES, which I will continue to do. But, I'm pretty sure my NES collection is far larger still. Haven't actually counted either side.

EDIT: Oh, I was also lucky in that this is what started my SNES collecting:

I had a friend home from the air force and told him I was wanting to go hunt down a SNES. He walked out to his garage and came back a few minutes later and handed me a box. Pretty amazing.

Velinos

Well I got my new battery soldered in. It took two tries and I really had to lay on the solder thick since the tabs for the new battery are much smaller than the ones for the old one. But I got it in and it works now.

V5WmgX1l.jpg

Also picked up a few more games for my collection.

UD51aKul.jpg

Just need Soul Blazer and Brandish and I'll have all the games that I want on the system. Earthbound and Harvest Moon are going for way more than they are worth and I am cool with the VC releases. Megaman X2, X3, and 7 I have on the Megaman collections for Gamecube, which I consider close enough. I refuse to pay more than a game's original MSRP.

I still need to find art for SFC Sparkster, The Great Battle V, and SFC Super Adventure Island.

I just take the normal cover art I find on the cover project or their forums and put the SFC label on it. Like so:

That way they are clearly labeled and kept separate from my US SNES stuff on my shelf, but I can actually still read them since I don't do Japanese. Couldn't find shit for Great Battle V.

Teknoman

Works for me, thanks!. But yeah apparently Great Battle V is either too obscure for any covers to be made.

Pretty fun game though if you guys havent tried it. Its got some Wild Guns style stages mixed with standard action platforming, and a cool western theme going for it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Some awesome collections in here!

Anyways, did the price for Earthbound go down a bit after the VC rerelease? Wonder if I should just suck it up and get it finally.

IrishNinja

^pretty sure it did, which is good! game was getting way inflated over its usual price - demand's always gonna be high, but it peaked at crazy #'s & needed to come back down. id like to see that happen to more games honestly.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
^pretty sure it did, which is good! game was getting way inflated over its usual price - demand's always gonna be high, but it peaked at crazy #'s & needed to come back down. id like to see that happen to more games honestly.

Yeah me to, really want to expand my snes collection, but the prices have just been going crazy places the last few years. Regret that I didnt buy more back when stuff still was cheap :(

Peagles

...wait how cheap we talkin here peagles

Well for SNES and Mega Drive (with shells) works out $40 cheaper than just the boards at Stone Age Gamer, for example. That's with the cheapest SAG shipping to NZ. For decent shipping I'd be saving another $25... But then from DHGate it's just tracked HK or China Post.

At AliExpress (I've never used it before so not sure on legit-ness) it's a good $55-80 cheaper depending on which SAG shipping I go with. Sorta looks like the same seller on both DHGate and AliExpress but they could just be using the same photos.

IrishNinja

^absolutely beautiful. i don't really mind having lost my SNES boxes years ago, but that's the only one that really stands out, and it's in fantastic shape too!

Top Bottom