• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Rich!

Are they region locked? I'd love to know if I can have one old school console that can play everything, like the NES Top Loader.

USA SNES consoles and the Super Famicom are fundamentally exactly the same hardware - you can play Japanese games on a USA SNES and vice versa, no problem. The only issue is the physical lock-out:

- In a USA SNES you have tabs which stop a JP cart from being inserted. These can be removed/filed away if you want to do so.

- USA carts will not fit in a Super Famicom unless you either widen the cart slot or get a pass-through adapter.

PAL games will not work unless the console is hard modded for region free and 50/60hz capability.

USA SNES consoles and the Super Famicom are fundamentally exactly the same hardware - you can play Japanese games on a USA SNES and vice versa, no problem. The only issue is the physical lock-out:

- In a USA SNES you have tabs which stop a JP cart from being inserted. These can be removed/filed away if you want to do so.

- USA carts will not fit in a Super Famicom unless you either widen the cart slot or get a pass-through adapter.

PAL games will not work unless the console is hard modded for region free and 50/60hz capability.

Do you prefer the Super Fam over the US SNES?

Well, I grew up with the PAL SNES and prefer the PAL/JP design to the USA one by far. It's timeless.

So, SFC is the way to go. 60hz goodness and the superior design.

Sounds great.

I'll pick one up soon. Gotta wait for the price to be right. Then I'll post about trying to remove those tabs for US/JPN cross comparison.

You certainly live up to being awesome, rich.

Kainazzo

just found out about EVO the search for Eden. Never heard of it before, but it seems like a nice concept, is it worth hunting down?

It is a nice concept, and fun if you like Enix's games. A warning though: the music can be HIGHLY repetitive, with the worst being a loud 8 second loop that you hear in several levels. I'm surprised nobody ever mentions it; the only time I have ever muted a SNES game.

Considering how Enix was perfectly capable of making good music, I have to wonder if the OST for EVO was rushed. Unless someone can refresh my memory, I'd even call it a low for the company.

smbu2000

Sounds great.

I'll pick one up soon. Gotta wait for the price to be right. Then I'll post about trying to remove those tabs for US/JPN cross comparison.

You certainly live up to being awesome, rich.

The physical tab lockout is on the USA SNES, without those JP carts fit just fine in the slot. The cartridge slot size is the problem with the JP SFC as unless you physically alter it SNES games won't fit.

It is also NTSC ONLY as i just found out, so fuck that as i have a PAL SNES :(

Next question: Legend of the mystica Ninja, yay or nay?

Yay to the first, double yay to 2 and 3, triple yay to part 4. The latter three are Japan only, but even better than the (very fun and funny) first by a wide margin, even if you don't speak Japanese. I just recently completed my collection of every game in the series that seems to be worthwhile (basically, every action/adventure game in the series and none of the spinoff RPGs, board, or puzzle games or the crappy GBA remake of the last PS1 game).

Teknoman

That soundtrack...I so regret passing it up long ago, thinking it would stay relatively cheap. Saw it at a local flea market seller for 8 bucks. The guy was a constant seller so I thought he'd be there all the time. I was wrong.

On the bright side, the guy usually seemed kinda pissy whenever people would ask him to let them see his games (he had them in wooden crates stacked on top of each other), so maybe its for the best :p

EDIT: So the other Goemon games are easily playable without knowing Japanese? Dont they usually have RPGish elements at times?

Also if anyone sees Super Ninja Boy for a good price, let me know.

Chinbo37

If we put up some SNES related stuff on the Buy/Sell/Trade thread are we allowed to post a link to it on this thread?

Chinbo37

hahah, Ill send a PM to both of you :)

I found some exciting stuff today including a boxed Mega Man X and a boxed Final Fantasy III.

I will post something up this week and let everyone know.

Teknoman

Actually i'm the grand marshal of retro Nintendo threads...so uhh...yeah.

lol post both here and in the BST thread to max visual catches. Best way to go about it.

Chinbo37

Sorry I was just playing along with them, I wont be sending any PMs, Ill just post it to the B/S/T thread and make a post here.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Actually i'm the grand marshal of retro Nintendo threads...so uhh...yeah.

image.php

Has anyone been able to come close to the old Nintendo quality or a local vendor that does that?

I saw the custom cover thread did some sick box remakings of GBA games. I'd want to be able to put up selves of games in their original boxes or close to it.

So the other Goemon games are easily playable without knowing Japanese? Dont they usually have RPGish elements at times?

Almost all of the Goemon games work the same way. The first few games have towns and you fight everyone except for girls, but you go into houses and talk to people. You go into stores and buy armor, food (to heal), rice balls (to recover automatically when you take damage), and play minigames. Once you've played one, you will have a firm grasp on how they work. Starting with the first SNES game, they added separate action only sidescrolling platforming areas, and the sequel removed most of the enemies in most of the towns, separating combat and action, with the exception of thieves. Goemon 3 for Super Famicom and the first PSX game play a bit more like an adventure game outside of the action areas, and the first N64 game is very Zelda like, but even without Japanese, you can muddle your way through 2 and 4 for Super Famicom, Hoshizorashi Dynamites Awaru for GBC, three of the PSX games, and the two nonRPG Famicom games. The others may require some hints from a guide in the towns, but still shouldn't be too bad.

While there can be some trial and error, most of the games have the same items and the same overall patterns. I played through several before I knew much Japanese, and the use of regional dialects can make some phrases difficult at times even now, but they are ridiculously fun and totally worth it.

-KRS-

So, what are the best fan-made hack for the following:

Super Mario World
Zelda 3
Super Metroid

I'm also dying to know this. Been jonesin' for some good hacks to play on my SD2SNES lately. Obviously Zelda: Parallel Worlds have to be mentioned for Zelda hacks, but other than that I'm not sure.

cantona222

I wanna play:
-Super Castlevania 4
-Super Metroid
-TMNT; Turtles in time

These are great games but are not rare at all. However, for some reason each game costs $40+ loose, Collecting SNES games costs big money.

Rich!

So, what are the best fan-made hack for the following:

Super Mario World
Zelda 3
Super Metroid

Super Metroid has the amazing Ice Metal. It's superb, and the difficulty is just right. For Zelda, it's Parallel Worlds Remodel (not the standard one), featuring custom music by yours truly (I WILL PIMP MYSELF UP WITH THIS EVERY CHANCE I GET, YO)

For Super Mario World it would have to be Super Dense World, a hack I made back in 2002 or so. It's still great, really. Was playing it on my Super Everdrive earlier whilst thinking "what the fuck was I on back then to make such a thing"
lol please play it for the lulz

edit: oh man, I'm starting to feel that my Super Famicom with two controllers and the wireless pad was a fucking amazing deal for £25. Not only is the console good as new with no marks or discolouration, but a set of wireless pads are worth £50/$80 on their own:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Fam...192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461ac9a0a0

Just need to find a second one! It's bloody amazing, I tell you. It's my go to pad for the SNES now - much, much better than the official pad, and that D Pad is fucking INCREDIBLE. It's basically the Saturn d-pad design applied to the SNES. So good.

Teknoman

I wanna play:
-Super Castlevania 4
-Super Metroid
-TMNT; Turtles in time

These are great games but are not rare at all. However, for some reason each game costs $40+ loose, Collecting SNES games costs big money.

Super Famicom the first two. I dunno the price range on TMNT IV.

HaL64

I wanna play:
-Super Castlevania 4
-Super Metroid
-TMNT; Turtles in time

Whatever you do, don't look at what those go for CIB.

Shining

Gunman's Proof is such a lovely game! The art style is like a mix of Earthbound and ALTTP and plays like the latter. It's like a ALTTP for beginners. I completed it in only 5-6 hours, but damn, dem was some mighty fine hours!

Was checking a store near my job on my lunch break that had some SNES stuff. Pickings were pretty slim (SFII and Madden 98 as far as the eyes can see) but one cartridge stuck out. There was no top label; all there was was a white label on the front with the Nintendo Power logo from the late 90s (The yellow letters with the red outlines) on it. Doubt it's valuable or anything, but has anyone heard of a cart like this? Genuinely curious about what it is.

Teknoman

Was checking a store near my job on my lunch break that had some SNES stuff. Pickings were pretty slim (SFII and Madden 98 as far as the eyes can see) but one cartridge stuck out. There was no top label; all there was was a white label on the front with the Nintendo Power logo from the late 90s (The yellow letters with the red outlines) on it. Doubt it's valuable or anything, but has anyone heard of a cart like this? Genuinely curious about what it is.

How much was it? Something like that, you might have wanted to just grab it to see.

Gunman's Proof is such a lovely game! The art style is like a mix of Earthbound and ALTTP and plays like the latter. It's like a ALTTP for beginners. I completed it in only 5-6 hours, but damn, dem was some mighty fine hours!

looks pretty good, though i can't really find many reviews on it hmmm

Peagles

I need some help...
I'm trying to power my US SNES here in New Zealand.
I have a UK Mega Drive (original) power adapter which is also centre negative, DC 10V and should work to power the US SNES (it also works on my Super Famicom).

But the US SNES has a different sized input for the plug. So I bought this adapter thinger off the internet jiggy...

Now it fits! My Mega Drive adapter fits perfectly and it also fits perfectly in the SNES. But I get no power light... I changed it to centre negative too before I tried it.

I just checked the fuse, all good. Also have continuity with the power switch. I don't understand how to test the actual part where you plug it in, but if someone knows how I can try with my multimeter. Nothing else looks amiss in the board.

TnK

Well my SD2SNES finally arrived. Need help to set it up as there is no manual with this thing, and online manuals only talk about the in game menus.

Rich!

I need some help...
I'm trying to power my US SNES here in New Zealand.
I have a UK Mega Drive (original) power adapter which is also centre negative, DC 10V and should work to power the US SNES (it also works on my Super Famicom).

But the US SNES has a different sized input for the plug. So I bought this adapter thinger off the internet jiggy...

Now it fits! My Mega Drive adapter fits perfectly and it also fits perfectly in the SNES. But I get no power light... I changed it to centre negative too before I tried it.

I just checked the fuse, all good. Also have continuity with the power switch. I don't understand how to test the actual part where you plug it in, but if someone knows how I can try with my multimeter. Nothing else looks amiss in the board.

10v?

dont use that. SNES needs 9v. You'll blow it. Just buy a multi-voltage PSU from amazon. the one I use was £3.

Peagles

10v?

dont use that. SNES needs 9v. You'll blow it. Just buy a multi-voltage PSU from amazon. the one I use was £3.

Really?! The back of the SNES says "AC ADAPTER (DC10V)" and according to this and everything else I read online, the MD1 adapter is ideal...

Now I'm totally confused... Lol.

plc268

Yea, you need 10V. Actually, the SNES will run fine on 9V (which is what a lot of those universal psus supply, but it might cause issues with special chip games). Hell, you can use a 12V adapter if you wanted, it'll just run a bit hotter. Wouldn't go higher than 12V. Point is, you're not gonna kill the SNES unless you use a super high voltage or you mess up the polarity.

If you want to test the tip with a multimeter, stick something like a paper clip in the center of the barrel. Touch one of your multimeter leads to the paper clip, and the other lead to the sleeve of the barrel.

Rich!

oh wow

I always assumed it was 9v as thats what it said on the back of my PAL SNES - even my super everdrive runs fine with that on my SFC.

plc268

oh wow

I always assumed it was 9v as thats what it said on the back of my PAL SNES - even my super everdrive runs fine with that on my SFC.

The SFC has a 9V psu, and shares the same plug as a Genesis/Megadrive 2, if i recall. The US SNES uses a proprietary plug (the fear was that people would plug in the adapter from the NES, which outputs AC power instead of DC power) and states 10V.

The US NES (not sure about pal, but I assume it's the same) has a rectifier inside, so it's pretty lenient on what it can take. You can plug in an AC PSU, it it'll convert to DC. Likewise, you can pump in a DC psu as well (so long as it's 9-12V... 9V preferred), and it'll take that fine as well. Hell, you don't even need to worry about polarity for the US NES. I seem to recall that the PAL SNES has the same setup with a rectifier inside.

But, if you plug in an AC PSU into a console that doesn't have a rectifier, then that's bad news.

Top Bottom