• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Peagles

The SFC has a 9V psu, and shares the same plug as a Genesis/Megadrive 2, if i recall. The US SNES uses a proprietary plug (the fear was that people would plug in the adapter from the NES, which outputs AC power instead of DC power) and states 10V.

The US NES (not sure about pal, but I assume it's the same) has a rectifier inside, so it's pretty lenient on what it can take. You can plug in an AC PSU, it it'll convert to DC. Likewise, you can pump in a DC psu as well (so long as it's 9-12V... 9V preferred), and it'll take that fine as well. Hell, you don't even need to worry about polarity for the US NES. I seem to recall that the PAL SNES has the same setup with a rectifier inside.

But, if you plug in an AC PSU into a console that doesn't have a rectifier, then that's bad news.

I used to use a SFC and it ran fine with my PAL MD1 power adapter, was awesome. The proprietary plug on the US SNES is the bane of my life the past few weeks, and that little adapter I bought was the only thing I could find on the whole internet that would actually fit.

I'll test out the thing as soon as I find a paperclip... Everything else I've tested has continuity (including the little adapter) so could that be dirty maybe?

Rich!

ehhh

not too sure I'm happy with the picture quality on my Super Famicom. Pics:

ibkm8oANMnAs4G.PNG

Just a bit of a disappointment compared to the crystal clear image my RGB modded N64, Mega Drive and PS1 output. It's blurry and a bit muted.

I thought this console was a 1-CHIP model (good!), but it's not. sigh

Gameboy415

Has anyone been able to come close to the old Nintendo quality or a local vendor that does that?

I saw the custom cover thread did some sick box remakings of GBA games. I'd want to be able to put up selves of games in their original boxes or close to it.

I've actually got a few custom boxes on the way for games that never had traditional packaging (StarFox Super Weekend, Super Scope 6, & Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World).
I ordered them from an eBay seller that I previously purchased a reproduction of Bound High for Virtual Boy from last year and, assuming the quality of these boxes is anything like the Bound High box, I'm pretty psyched to add them to my collection.

I'll post pics/impressions whenever the boxes show up (they just shipped today so it should be later this week).

-KRS-

You also need the microcode for the enhancement chips if you want to play those games. Like the DSP chips, Satellaview BS-X and Capcom's CX4. They're pretty easy to find if you google a bit.
they can usually be found on ROM sites

And speaking of the power adapters, I've always used a PAL NES power adapter for my PAL NES and PAL SNES, and even for my NTSC NES. Never gave me any issues. But the guy I bought the modded SFC from said that he didn't recommend using the PAL adapter with it. He's sending a third party one with it, but original is always best I reckon so that's why I asked him. He also mentioned the PAL Mega Drive adapters working with them.

Still haven't received the modded SFC btw. I'm expecting it this week.

Shining

looks pretty good, though i can't really find many reviews on it hmmm
Here's one: http://www.destructoid.com/it-came-from-japan-ganpuru-gunman-s-proof-215718.phtml

ehhh

not too sure I'm happy with the picture quality on my Super Famicom. Pics:

Just a bit of a disappointment compared to the crystal clear image my RGB modded N64, Mega Drive and PS1 output. It's blurry and a bit muted.

I thought this console was a 1-CHIP model (good!), but it's not. sigh
Can you determine what type of model yours is if you look at the serial numbers on this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AvE57-VbN9_HdEpkUUR0U1hzMHFWVWw3VXhORHFIanc&output=html

I have both a US 1CHIP-01 and a 1CHIP-03 and i'm extremely happy with the image quality. Here's a comparison i made between my release model and the 1CHIP-01. See how smudgy and blurry the release model looks in comparison:

SHVC-CPU-01
J2A2Y.jpg

1CHIP-01
llRGi.jpg

EDIT: The US 1CHIP has it's downsides but there's no going back for me.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
King of Dragons showed up today.

As well as some Atlus fighting game I can't remember the name of. Has an old lady in it. I am a bad weeaboo :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are you going to get benefits with a 1CHIP system while using S-Video as well? Or is the improvement only in RGB?

TnK

SD2SNES is probably the best thing I bought for my SNES aside from some games like LttP.

What are the games I should be getting on the SD2SNES? Specifically translated JP games.

-KRS-

Are you going to get benefits with a 1CHIP system while using S-Video as well? Or is the improvement only in RGB?
I think it should look better with S-Video as well, yes.

SD2SNES is probably the best thing I bought for my SNES aside from some games like LttP.

What are the games I should be getting on the SD2SNES? Specifically translated JP games.

Hmm, I guess Seiken Densetsu III? I haven't played it myself but it's one of those games everyone talks about.

Also they aren't necessarily translated but some of the Satellaview games are pretty good, like the F-Zero ones.

Edit: Oh right, what about DoReMi Fantasy? Or maybe that one is already in English.
Edit2: And how could I forget Final Fantasy V?

Celine

Super Road Blaster.

Also try Jet Rising Pilot.

-KRS-

My SFC is finally on it's way to me. Yay! :D

By the way. An RGB SCART cable is included with it, but can I use any regular PAL RGB SNES cable with it as well? Or the other way, can I use the included RGB SCART with my other PAL consoles without everything blowing up?

Peagles

My SFC is finally on it's way to me. Yay! :D

By the way. An RGB SCART cable is included with it, but can I use any regular PAL RGB SNES cable with it as well? Or the other way, can I use the included RGB SCART with my other PAL consoles without everything blowing up?

Is it an RGB SCART cable or JP 21?

Rich!

haha oh dear I somehow managed to buy a Famicom JR/SNES Mini on ebay. I have no idea how that happened, really.

I also ordered the amp and board needed for the RGB mod.

fuck this quest for super cool picture quality, really

Is it your first flashcart or have you used the others? I'd be interested in some comparing and contrasting if you have experience with the Super Everdrive or the Super Powerpak.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is it your first flashcart or have you used the others? I'd be interested in some comparing and contrasting if you have experience with the Super Everdrive or the Super Powerpak.
It's supposed to be the one to get, because it has current and future support for a lot of the special cartridge processing chips.

TnK

Thanks for the recommendations you guys, will look into it.
Careful, there are fake SNES minis out there
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=counterfeit_snes
The fake SNES mini that I had passed the test found on this site. One way to know it was fake was by its serial number, I remember that all the consoles had the exact same serial number. I am using the controller that came with the fake SNES though, it is excellent. Nice and clicky buttons.

Is it safe to use a JP/PAL power brick on the US SNES, and also, which SCART cable works on the US SNES?

Olly88

A copy of Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken that I bought off eBay arrived yesterday and I've been playing it quite a bit. I'm really enjoying it so far. It looks really nice, the music is good and it's just fun to play in general. Would definitely recommend it based on what I've played so far.

Anyone else played it?

-KRS-

Is it an RGB SCART cable or JP 21?

It should be an RGB SCART cable. I'm just wondering if something special has to be done to make the SFC output RGB through a PAL SCART cable and if therefore the cable won't work with other consoles. Or can I just plug a regular European RGB SCART into a Super Famicom and have it work? I guess I should ask the seller this, but I mean it's just cables so if anyone knows..

baphomet

It should be an RGB SCART cable. I'm just wondering if something special has to be done to make the SFC output RGB through a PAL SCART cable and if therefore the cable won't work with other consoles. Or can I just plug a regular European RGB SCART into a Super Famicom and have it work? I guess I should ask the seller this, but I mean it's just cables so if anyone knows..

The pal and NTSC SNES consoles are wired differently and aren't compatible as far as I know.

If it's coming from Japan I don't know why it would be a euro scart cable. Anywhere else other than Japan, it's probably euro scart.

Peagles

I guess it depends what you mean by a PAL SCART cable. Both SFC and US SNES will work with a "regular" RGB SCART cable, but a PAL SNES will need the capacitors removed. So it kinda depends what you have. If you had a specific cable for a PAL SNES then it won't work as well, if at all. The PAL SNES is a bit of an anomaly though, it's the only one of my lot that I had to remove the capacitors for. Worst case you have one with no capacitors, and you'll have to add them in to get it working right with your SFC. If they are sending you an RGB SCART cable with it though, I don't see why that wouldn't work. It won't work with your PAL SNES though, it'll boot up with an image then fade to black.

BocoDragon

The pal and NTSC SNES consoles are wired differently and aren't compatible as far as I know.

If it's coming from Japan I don't know why it would be a euro scart cable. Anywhere else other than Japan, it's probably euro scart.

I'm confused because you are a well known modder and I know you must know your shit... ;)

...but I use PAL SCART on my US SNES and Super Famicom just fine.

edit: Ooops I should have waited for your edit Baph. You do know what's up I think... but this conversation is confusing :p

Peagles

I'm confused because you are a well known modder and I know you must know your shit... ;)

edit: Ooops I should have waited for your edit Baph. You do know what's up I think... but this conversation is confusing :p

It's confusing as hell. With the SNES there is JP 21 which you can disregard because it's not SCART and is really only useful for a Framemeister.

Then there is RGB SCART, which for SNES is NTSC (with capacitors inside the cable) and PAL (without capacitors). The cables are not interchangeable (well at least, you can't use an NTSC cable on a PAL,console, it just fades or black, I haven't bothered to try it the other way).

-KRS-

Thanks for the replies. No it's not coming from Japan, it's a dude here in Sweden that does the mods. So it should be a PAL TV compatible SCART cable. I was mostly just wondering if I could use that cable on my PAL consoles as well, but it seems I cannot then.

BocoDragon

Thanks for the replies. No it's not coming from Japan, it's a dude here in Sweden that does the mods. So it should be a PAL TV compatible SCART cable. I was mostly just wondering if I could use that cable on my PAL consoles as well, but it seems I cannot then.

It's confusing as hell. With the SNES there is JP 21 which you can disregard because it's not SCART and is really only useful for a Framemeister.

Then there is RGB SCART, which for SNES is NTSC (with capacitors inside the cable) and PAL (without capacitors). The cables are not interchangeable (well at least, you can't use an NTSC cable on a PAL,console, it just fades or black, I haven't bothered to try it the other way).

Surprises me. I assumed the PAL SCART cables I imported to Canada to use on my framemeister were basically PAL SNES/MD/Saturn SCART cables... they aren't?? da fuq.

I find it hard to believe, because North America has no use for a SCART cable (no TV has ever had an input), and Japan uses J21. Do these NTSC compatable PAL SCART cables only exist as fan hack cables..? surely not?

Peagles

By "consoles" do you mean you have multiple PAL SNES consoles you wanted to use it with, or other systems too?

Cos it should work with a PAL Gamecube AFAIK. Obviously not PAL N64, but if you got an NTSC RGB modded 64 it'd work with that.

baphomet

Do you mean using euro scart cables on an SNES and Japanese super Famicom, or using a pal super Nintendo cable on an NTSC SNES?

Pal SNES and NTSC SNES/SFC cables are very different. Like peagles said one has 220uf caps, the other has 75 ohm resistors tied to ground on the color lines. I've never had a pal snes so this is just what I've been told/read over time.

-KRS-

By "consoles" do you mean you have multiple PAL SNES consoles you wanted to use it with, or other systems too?

Cos it should work with a PAL Gamecube AFAIK. Obviously not PAL N64, but if you got an NTSC RGB modded 64 it'd work with that.

Yeah I meant both SNES and GC. I already have an RGB SCART cable that I use with both but then I have to switch every time I want to use either of them. But I guess that won't be a problem once I get the SFC anyway since it can play games from every region. So I'll probably never use my PAL SNESs once I have it anyway.

I was planning on giving one of my PAL SNESs away to my sister though, and was thinking that she could get my current RGB SCART as well but I think I'll just buy another one for her then.

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I guess I can try the new RGB SCART with my PAL SNES and report back whether it works or not.

BocoDragon

Do you mean using euro scart cables on an SNES and Japanese super Famicom, or using a pal super Nintendo cable on an NTSC SNES?

Pal SNES and NTSC SNES/SFC cables are very different. Like peagles said one has 220uf caps, the other has 75 ohm resistors tied to ground on the color lines. I've never had a pal snes so this is just what I've been told/read over time.

I guess I would have assumed Euro Scart Cable = PAL Scart Cable! They aren't?

So what I must have is a totally custom cable (and they are homebrew), that was designed for NTSC consoles, and just happens to use the PAL Scart wiring standard?

Because I don't think there'd be many official Euro Scart Scables meant for NTSC Tvs :p Unless it was Hong Kong or something.

baphomet

I guess I would have assumed Euro Scart Cable = PAL Scart Cable! They aren't?

So what I must have is a totally custom cable (and they are homebrew), that was designed for NTSC consoles, and just happens to use the PAL Scart wiring standard?

Because I don't think there'd be many official Euro Scart Scables meant for NTSC Tvs :p Unless it was Hong Kong or something.

Exactly. SNES and Saturn (possibly others. Cant think of any of the top of my head though) cables are wired completely different for pal and NTSC consoles. Even though they can both use the euro scart wiring.

I think every euro scart cable for an NTSC snes would be handmade. I know both of mine are, and I don't know why Nintendo would have ever made any to begin with considering we never got rgb in the states.

It's definitely confusing, lol.

TnK

I just beat Super CVIV. Excellent game as always. Last time I finished it was almost 10 years ago. May go through the hard mode now.

Oh, and my mind was also blown by how awesome Hagane is. I love how you have so much control over your character, and the number of options available at your disposal. Is it worth buying the JP version of the game? Any other English version of the game is insanely expensive.

-KRS-

That reminds me that I bought Super CV4 from a friend a few years ago and I still haven't really played it beyond getting a game over and giving up. I think I'll have to rectify that soon because I really did enjoy what I played.

It's supposed to be the one to get, because it has current and future support for a lot of the special cartridge processing chips.

Yeah, I've certainly heard that. I have a 3+ year old Super Everdrive that seems to do everything I expect it to do, so I don't know if it's worth the upgrade cost. That's why I was interested in hearing from someone who has used several of the flashcarts.

Gameboy415

I've actually got a few custom boxes on the way for games that never had traditional packaging (StarFox Super Weekend, Super Scope 6, & Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World).
I ordered them from an eBay seller that I previously purchased a reproduction of Bound High for Virtual Boy from last year and, assuming the quality of these boxes is anything like the Bound High box, I'm pretty psyched to add them to my collection.

I'll post pics/impressions whenever the boxes show up (they just shipped today so it should be later this week).

I've now received my boxes and I'm very happy with their quality!!
My only minor gripe is that the Nintendo logo on the side of the box is a bit large/not aligned with those of real SNES boxes but it's not a huge problem.

(*The Mario Paint box is a legit store display box I bought elsewhere)
MloumOil.jpg

Here's a link to the seller's website for anyone else interested in repro boxes:
http://www.uncletusk.com/

A copy of Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken that I bought off eBay arrived yesterday and I've been playing it quite a bit. I'm really enjoying it so far. It looks really nice, the music is good and it's just fun to play in general. Would definitely recommend it based on what I've played so far.

Anyone else played it?

I have! :)
I picked up a CIB copy back when I lived in Japan.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
My only minor gripe is that the Nintendo logo on the side of the box is a bit large/not aligned with those of real SNES boxes but it's not a huge problem.

MloumOil.jpg

Here's a link to the seller's website for anyone else interested in repro boxes:

Those boxes look really nice! Can you perhaps make a comparison shot when they are folded next to a genuine box?

Astorgh

Hey!

So I've been checking this thread for a while and it encouraged me to grow my collection. I have some games but I'd like to get a decent collection (loose and boxed games). What online stores do you guys recommend? I've been checking ones like dkoldies and gamegavel but I really don't know if they're good options. Amazon is also an option for me but I'd like to know if there are better stores. If you have some experience as international costumers (outside the US) it'll be great to see some recomendations since I live in Mexico.

Thanks in advance!

MloumOil.jpg

Gameboy415, you're incredible. Considering my collection hasnt had proper boxes in ages, this will be a nice way to put them on shelves.

Top Bottom