• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Gameboy415

Gameboy415, you're incredible. Considering my collection hasnt had proper boxes in ages, this will be a nice way to put them on shelves.

Happy to help! :)

Those boxes look really nice! Can you perhaps make a comparison shot when they are folded next to a genuine box?

Ask and ye shall receive:

(*the picture is sideways, I just figured the boxes are easier to read this way*)
jSIykupl.jpg

The Repro boxes are at the top, 2nd column/row from the right.
They look great in terms of size & color, but you can see what I meant about the Nintendo logo being slightly larger/mis-aligned compared to the retail boxes.
I'm still happy with them though. :)

smbu2000

ehhh

not too sure I'm happy with the picture quality on my Super Famicom. Pics:

Just a bit of a disappointment compared to the crystal clear image my RGB modded N64, Mega Drive and PS1 output. It's blurry and a bit muted.

I thought this console was a 1-CHIP model (good!), but it's not. sigh
If it has the little text on the bottom "SHVC-JPN-1" on the bottom then there's a chance that the system will be a 1-CHIP model. Even if it is there though, it could still be a different board inside. I've had a few with the text, but they turned out to have different boards inside. I did find one with a 1-CHIP in it though, which is my main system.

HaL64

Hopefully my copy of Dracula XX and JP CV4 should arrive this week.. *crosses fingers*

I recently got the Dracula XX for a good price. No way I'm paying the Dracula X prices. Is there a reason to get the JP CV4 though? Is the JP version better in some way? (more gore?)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I recently got the Dracula XX for a good price. No way I'm paying the Dracula X prices. Is there a reason to get the JP CV4 though? Is the JP version better in some way? (more gore?)

It does indeed have "more gore" ;) Lots of the water sequences in CV4 were actually pools of blood in the J version. I think were censored topless statues and the like, too.

I'm sure it's also dirt cheap the for Japanese version compared to the 'surely marked up to $20-30+ US version.

Teknoman

Whats with Rushing Beat Shura being letter boxed?

Its a great game so far with an amazing soundtrack, but was a little surprised seeing an snes game having black bars on the top and bottom. Unless i've just never noticed it before.

GloriousNL

Neo Member

(*the picture is sideways, I just figured the boxes are easier to read this way*)
jSIykupl.jpg

They look great in terms of size & color, but you can see what I meant about the Nintendo logo being slightly larger/mis-aligned compared to the retail boxes.

Nice collection! Boxes look real good.

GloriousNL

Neo Member
Whats with Rushing Beat Shura being letter boxed?

Its a great game so far with an amazing soundtrack, but was a little surprised seeing an snes game having black bars on the top and bottom. Unless i've just never noticed it before.

Final Fight Tough is letter boxed as well. Final Fantasy 6 has black borders all around.

Mzo

Last time I was in Peru I saw a significant number of SNES minis floating around.

Now I'm wondering if they were real or not.

Seik

Banned

jSIykupl.jpg

For a moment I gasped because I thought they really were stacked like that.

Then I saw your comment. :D

Rich!

Aw fuck. My SFC Jr purchase didn't turn out the way I planned.

Anyone know of a decent way to get a Jr/legit Mini or a 1 Chip in the UK? Other than the extortionate prices on ebay?

Teknoman

Whats a good price for Super Famicom controllers / anyone have any Super Famicom controllers they are willing to part with?

Also anyone have an extra official SNES AC adapter?

-KRS-

Got my Super Famicom this monday and have been trying it out a bit. It was modded with the SuperCIC mod and it works perfectly. Finally I can play my SNES games in 60hz. And it's so nice to be able to play my SFC and NA SNES games without an adapter. Just plug and play. Only complaint I have is that the unit produces a quite noticeable audio hum or noise into the sound output compared to my other units. Especially when it's a light colored background or when text pops up on the screen. I assume that's because of the third party power adapter I got with it. When sound is playing it drowns it out though so it's not a big deal, but I might look into another adapter eventually.

I also got a SFC controller in the package. I had read in this thread and in other places that the cables on them were very short, but man I did not expect it to be that short. You really weren't kidding. It's literally 1 meter long or so.

I can also confirm that the RGB SCART that I already used with my PAL SNES did not work at all with the SFC. Nothing came on the screen when I switched on the power. And the provided RGB SCART also doesn't work with my PAL SNES. As you guys explained would happen, it starts up but then goes black soon afterwards.

Another thing I noticed is that when the unit is running in 50hz mode, there is quite a bit of overscan to the left which is not the case with my PAL units. In 60hz mode there doesn't seem to be much overscan though. Luckily my Trinitron has a so called "RGB Centering" setting which lets you adjust the image of an RGB signal left or right, so I'll have to do that if I plan on playing in 50hz which probably won't be very often anyway.

Edit: Oh right, and for some reason when I boot up the SD2SNES cart it starts in 50hz mode every time but later switches to 60hz. This is even if you manually set it to 60hz mode. Not a big deal since it fixes itself but just something I noticed. In future firmwares the SD2SNES is supposed to be able to control the SuperCIC chip so maybe that'll fix it. Another thing about the SD2SNES is that to reboot into the menu, you hold down Reset for a few seconds. The problem is that with the SuperCIC mod it simply switches modes when you hold down reset. So to return to the menu you first have to push and release the Reset button and then immediately hold it down again afterwards.

-KRS-

Yeah Super Tennis is surprisingly good. Holds up well. Especially multiplayer.

Edit: I just played Umihara Kawase, which had heavy heavy flickering going on when I played it on my PAL unit, and it works perfectly in 60hz but switching to 50hz makes it flicker like crazy. So I guess that's another game that is pretty much unplayable on PAL units. So watch out, PAL people!

That game is really great btw. Great soundtrack and interesting gameplay mechanic. Hard as nails though. I took a look on ebay a while ago and it seemed to be kind of expensive unfortunately. I'd like to get it in my collection. Also, the Gamecenter CX episode of this game is one of my favorite GCCX episodes. Ganbare Kawase!

If you have a DS, Umihara Kawase is about half the price of the SNES version, and also includes the PS1 sequel. The ports are good too (It's the PSP one that's a mess).

-KRS-

Oh, cool! I do have a DS. Might have to track it down then.

And unrelated, but I just accidentally plugged in my PAL power adapter into my Super Famicom! It actually worked with normal carts, but it could not boot the SD2SNES. I almost thought I had somehow broken the SD2SNES and freaked out a bit before I realized what was going on. At least the SFC didn't explode thank God. I'll have to be more careful in the future...

Edit: So I read up a bit about the audio buzzing, and apparently it's rather common with cheap RGB SCART cables. So I tried with a composite cable and there's no buzzing with that. So I guess I'll look into another RGB SCART cable. Damn it, I'd have thought the guy I bought it from would know how to make a good cable... Anyone know some place that makes good cables? Damn shame that the one I used on my PAL consoles doesn't work with it.

Also I haven't hooked up a SNES with composite cables for years, and holy shit does it looks completely shitty even on a CRT. I also tried with an S-video cable and that also worked and looked much better. I'd be fine with that, but the problem with it is that there's no color in 50hz mode unless you use RGB SCART.

Edit²: It seems that apparently the guy has bought the cables from somewhere instead of making his own. So I can't really fault him for the cable. I contacted him about it to let him know though.

Mzo

Also, the Gamecenter CX episode of this game is one of my favorite GCCX episodes. Ganbare Kawase!

He doesn't understand how to gain momentum in the game, like at all. You can't just swing left and right, you have to swing in the opposite direction and then reel yourself in.

If you have a DS, Umihara Kawase is about half the price of the SNES version, and also includes the PS1 sequel. The ports are good too (It's the PSP one that's a mess).

Is it really? I've only seen STUPID prices on eBay and when I asked Arcade Gear to tell me the price in Japan they came back with 8000 yen...

He doesn't understand how to gain momentum in the game, like at all. You can't just swing left and right, you have to swing in the opposite direction and then reel yourself in.

Is it really? I've only seen STUPID prices on eBay and when I asked Arcade Gear to tell me the price in Japan they came back with 8000 yen...

Damn, sorry for the misinformation then. bought it from a guy on a forum for $40 last year. Did not expect the resale market to gobble this one up so quickly, especially since the game has been about the price I paid since 2010. Now I see Solarisjapan trying to schlock it for ¥7,627. At least it's new, lol.

-KRS-

Hehe yeah I noticed that when I first started playing the game myself. I had only watched the episode beforehand. Some of the things he had problems with in the game were very easy for me the first time. Oh well, it's Arino so what do you expect. lol. :D

And that's unfortunate regarding the DS price. I guess I might as well get the SNES version then?

Mzo

Yeah, I haven't picked it up since I have the sufami and PS versions. Kind of wanted it lately and saw that it had blown up.

Profound sadness. The games are really fun.

Teknoman

Oh, cool! I do have a DS. Might have to track it down then.

And unrelated, but I just accidentally plugged in my PAL power adapter into my Super Famicom! It actually worked with normal carts, but it could not boot the SD2SNES. I almost thought I had somehow broken the SD2SNES and freaked out a bit before I realized what was going on. At least the SFC didn't explode thank God. I'll have to be more careful in the future...

Edit: So I read up a bit about the audio buzzing, and apparently it's rather common with cheap RGB SCART cables. So I tried with a composite cable and there's no buzzing with that. So I guess I'll look into another RGB SCART cable. Damn it, I'd have thought the guy I bought it from would know how to make a good cable... Anyone know some place that makes good cables? Damn shame that the one I used on my PAL consoles doesn't work with it.

Also I haven't hooked up a SNES with composite cables for years, and holy shit does it looks completely shitty even on a CRT. I also tried with an S-video cable and that also worked and looked much better. I'd be fine with that, but the problem with it is that there's no color in 50hz mode unless you use RGB SCART.

Edit²: It seems that apparently the guy has bought the cables from somewhere instead of making his own. So I can't really fault him for the cable. I contacted him about it to let him know though.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/

Got my Genesis RGB SCART from them.

List a friend gave me of SNES games he's selling (i didn't ask the prices yet)

Can someone please point out any games here that are worth considering? I honestly didn't see much of worth besides Axelay and Pilotwings hm..

Air Cavalry
Axelay
Bulls vs. Blazers
Champions World class Soccer
Clay Fighter
Crash Dummies
Dino Dini´s Soccer
Dragon
FIFA International Soccer
Foreman for Real
Jurassic Park
Kid Clown in Crazy Chase
Marko´s Magic Football
Michael Jordan Chaos in the Windy City
NBA Live 95
NFL Quaterback Club
Nigel Mansells World Championship
Out to Lunch
Outlander
Pilotwings
Pitfall the Maya Adventure
Rise of the Robots
Shaq - Fu
Space Ace Empire
Stunt Race FX
Super Dany
Super Soccer
Super Wrestlemania
T2 Arcade
Terminator
The Hunt for Red October
Troy Aikman Football
Turricans
VAL D´LSERER Championship
Vortex
 Wing Commander
World League Basketball
Worldcup USA 94´

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
old Konami logos aren't just nostalgic, they're super useful! i for one love it when companies like them or sqaure change up their design to let you know "we suck now"

Hahaha!

(I like many post-2003 Konami and Square games, though! Which I say because they both changed their logo around the same time)

TnK

Players used to make a ton of bootleg ps1 games. I still have some lol. Apparently they also made bootleg consoles.

HaL64

Can someone please point out any games here that are worth considering? I honestly didn't see much of worth besides Axelay and Pilotwings hm..

Clay Fighter
Stunt Race FX
Turricans

I hope by "Turricans" he means both 1 and 2.
2 is worth quite a bit and I've never seen it outside of ebay.

Teknoman

Axelay
Pilotwings
Stunt Race FX
Turricans

What is Super Dany?

Mzo

Is it normal for the SNES to have a giant beam of white light in the middle?

It's more prominent in some models than others, but yes it's always there. It looks kind of like it's making two images that overlap in the middle of the screen, making a thick band. I don't think anyone has figured out exactly what causes it.

brainpann

Is it normal for the SNES to have a giant beam of white light in the middle?

Yeah- unfortunately that is a common problem. It seems that some system versions are more affected than others. Are you using a third party AC? I recall somebody working on a fix for the issue.

dcx4610

I'm sure it has been addressed at some point in the thread but does anyone have an answer to the yellowing of some SNES systems? Did Nintendo change the plastic at some point?

I had a launch SNES and mine has remained grey/white all of these years but most I've seen are yellowed. I remember and friend and I even called the Nintendo Power Line and the rep told us it was because the plastic was flame retardant and lost its color over time. Any truth to that or was there more to it?

Celine

If at good price I'd get:
Axelay
Kid Clown in Crazy Chase
Pilotwings
Stunt Race FX
Turricans

I'm sure it has been addressed at some point in the thread but does anyone have an answer to the yellowing of some SNES systems? Did Nintendo change the plastic at some point?

I had a launch SNES and mine has remained grey/white all of these years but most I've seen are yellowed. I remember and friend and I even called the Nintendo Power Line and the rep told us it was because the plastic was flame retardant and lost its color over time. Any truth to that or was there more to it?

Yeah, it's the fire retardant. You'll see it in a ton of old plastic (including the original NES). You can undo it by using some ret0bight, but sunlight will make it come back eventually.

These ones are worth a look:

Axelay
Jurassic Park
Kid Clown in Crazy Chase
Marko´s Magic Football
Out to Lunch
Pilotwings
Stunt Race FX
T2 Arcade
Turricans
VAL D´LSERER Championship
Vortex

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Yup, expanded explanations lies herein - http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Flame+Retardants

Top Bottom