• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/

Got my Genesis RGB SCART from them.

Cool, thanks! Seem to have good prices too.

I have to say though, after using an S-video cable for a few days I can't really tell much of a difference between S-video and RGB SCART. Maybe the colors are a little brighter with RGB SCART but it's not a huge difference like going from composite to S-video. But I still need one since 50hz is in black & white with S-video.

TnK

It's more prominent in some models than others, but yes it's always there. It looks kind of like it's making two images that overlap in the middle of the screen, making a thick band. I don't think anyone has figured out exactly what causes it.

Yeah- unfortunately that is a common problem. It seems that some system versions are more affected than others. Are you using a third party AC? I recall somebody working on a fix for the issue.
Well, mine is not that prominent, but it is obvious in brown areas. It was not present in the normal overworld or dungeons in LttP, but was very obvious in the dark world. And no, using the original AC adapter.

Now that I think about it, LttP is probably the only game where it was obvious. Other games did not show it that much. I honestly though I had a problem with my TV though.

Walk into the light.

You should probably remove the masamune.

I like these two posts.

-KRS-

I've only ever seen it when it's a completely black background myself, and sometimes very very faintly on other dark backgrounds. But I must've been pretty lucky with my SNESes and now my SFC because outside of those situations I never see it.

Edit: Oh btw guys. Is it common for SFCs to set the TV aspect ratio to 16:9 when you switch it on? My PAL SNES never changed the aspect ratio automatically, but every time I turn on the SFC it sets the TV to 16:9 mode automatically and I have to change it back. Only does that with RGB cables though, not with S-video, I guess because only RGB SCART has the ability to switch channels automatically etc when you power the unit on. But why would it set it to 16:9 when widescreen TVs didn't even exist when the console was made? lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I had a fantastic 100hz 27" widescreen crt from Phillips. Heavy as fuck though :| My mother has it now. I wouldn't mind getting a small, high-quality CRT though, but they're kinda hard to find nowadays.

TnK

I've only ever seen it when it's a completely black background myself, and sometimes very very faintly on other dark backgrounds. But I must've been pretty lucky with my SNESes and now my SFC because outside of those situations I never see it.
Guess I also lucked out then. I only noticed the light with Zelda, and only in the dark world.
so how do you guys play your retro games? do you have a old school tv? id get one if i didn't have the issue of space.

Yep, CRT TV here. Most of the people also play on their CRT TVs, if not then they have proper upscalers for their old consoles.
I had a fantastic 100hz 27" widescreen crt from Phillips. Heavy as fuck though :| My mother has it now. I wouldn't mind getting a small, high-quality CRT though, but they're kinda hard to find nowadays.

I have the 29" model of that CRT TV myself, which is the one I am currently using now.

Linkhero1

so how do you guys play your retro games? do you have a old school tv? id get one if i didn't have the issue of space.

I have a CRT in the garage but I don't have room anywhere in the house to put it so I just use my Panasonic Viera to play.

Edit: I wish PVMs weren't expensive...I'm sure I can make room for one.

Fox Mulder

a 29 inch Sony Trinitron PVM. My best thrift shop find yet for $20 in perfect working order.

I still need to actually buy a RGB modded snes and nes though. I've only got Genesis on RGB and play SNES on a retron through S video.

a 29 inch Sony Trinitron PVM. My best thrift shop find yet for $20 in perfect working order.

I still need to actually buy a RGB modded snes and nes though. I've only got Genesis on RGB and play SNES on a retron through S video.

Hows the picture on it? The over 20" PVMs had some picture issues and are older then how recent you can get the 20" ones. Or so I hear.

IrishNinja

y7x.gif

Ive almost given up on collecting SNES games. All I have left to get is Earthbound and Ogre Battle to feel content

I'm just about there with you. I still need Breath of Fire 2, Lufia 2, and Robotrek. But, after that I think I'm pretty well done with SNES. Still have a list of like 60 games I'd like if I ever found them locally for a cheap price, but those are the last three I'm really dying to have.

It kind of feels good.

Peagles

I have the issue of space too, so I just have a 14" PVM on my computer desk, next to my monitor. Works a charm in a small apartment!

-KRS-

So I guess this is the RGB cable I want, but what the hell should I choose there in "Customize for free"? Composite video or composite sync? I'm not sure what the hell this even means, I thought it was an RGB SCART not a composite cable. And they have these options but no option for length? Oh well, 1.5 meters should be enough.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

Also based on the picture of the cable it doesn't really look like a quality cable. Looks just like the cable I got with my SFC in fact. You guys sure this is good shit? I mean it seems they know what they're doing but I dunno. Edit: I mean in regards to the thickness of the cable.

Peagles

So I guess this is the RGB cable I want, but what the hell should I choose there in "Customize for free"? Composite video or composite sync? I'm not sure what the hell this even means, I thought it was an RGB SCART not a composite cable. And they have these options but no option for length? Oh well, 1.5 meters should be enough.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

Also based on the picture of the cable it doesn't really look like a quality cable. Looks just like the cable I got with my SFC in fact. You guys sure this is good shit? I mean it seems they know what they're doing but I dunno.

What's your current setup? That will determine what sync you need.

The only cable I've bought from there was my BNC to SCART adapter, and it works a charm. There's a seller on ebay called retro_gaming_cables too. I got my SNES SCART from there. They balls'd up the first one but the replacement they sent works great.

smbu2000

I have a 20" PVM (PVM-20M4J) that I picked up off of Yahoo Auctions JP. It cost 300 yen (about 3,000 yen total with shipping.) It works and looks great and I've had no problems with it.

(picture was taken before I got my RGB modded AV Famicom)

Also based on the picture of the cable it doesn't really look like a quality cable. Looks just like the cable I got with my SFC in fact. You guys sure this is good shit? I mean it seems they know what they're doing but I dunno. Edit: I mean in regards to the thickness of the cable.

I don't know about that specific cable, but when I ordered a BNC to Scart cable (for a PVM), they customized it to a BNC to JP21 connector cable instead for me. The cable quality was top notch and looks and works great with my PVM. I'd definitely purchase from Retro Gaming Cables again.

Fox Mulder

you have to know which cable to get for your tv. I bought a rgb adapter from them for my pvm, but that model doesn't accept composite sync so the signal was all blurry. An awesome gaffer modded the cable for me so I didn't have to mail it back across the atlantic ocean.

The cables they sell are great quality. I bought a $60 cable from them, but they use gold tips and they're thick as shit.

-KRS-

Thanks for the replies guys. Hmm, what do you mean, my current setup? I have a regular PAL Sony Trinitron 100hz Widescreen TV. That's all I really know. I've used several RGB SCART cables with it and never had any problems. So it's only those PVMs that need special cables? But they mostly use BNC connections don't they? I'm getting more and more confused.

Edit: I might also sometimes hook it up to other TVs, including HDTVs. But it will only be regular RGB SCART enabled TVs, never any special professional equipment or the like.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Can anyone recommend any Mahjong games? I've already got Bishoujo Janshi Suchie-Pai and am looking into procuring Super Real Mahjong PIV and PV.

Anth0ny

My two most wanted games right now:

1. Final Fantasy III
2. Super Mario RPG

Is it possible to find these games anywhere for less than $50? The lowest buy it now on ebay for FFIII is $59.86 + $8.86 shipping ; _ ;

Should I be looking harder? Is there anywhere that could possibly have these games for cheaper than ebay prices?

I'm Canadian btw, from Toronto to be exact. I've yet to see these two games anywhere in the wild, and I've been to my fair share of retro game shops/conventions over the years.

brainpann

1. Final Fantasy III
2. Super Mario RPG

Is it possible to find these games anywhere for less than $50? The lowest buy it now on ebay for FFIII is $59.86 + $8.86 shipping ; _ ;

Should I be looking harder? Is there anywhere that could possibly have these games for cheaper than ebay prices?

I'm Canadian btw, from Toronto to be exact. I've yet to see these two games anywhere in the wild, and I've been to my fair share of retro game shops/conventions over the years.

Forget "Buy It Now" unless you juat cant wait. Im sure you could easily get FF3 for less than 50 by justbeing patient and finding one to bid on. Maybe SMRPG as well. Ebay mobile is your friend.

Also, if your are not already, consider forums like ASSEMBLERgames or digitalpress. Personally i prefer assemblergames because all the member are very helpful and cool plus they have a great sales forum which also includes member feedback. Ive purchased things several times from other members without issue.

1. Final Fantasy III
2. Super Mario RPG

Like the previous poster said, ignore buy it now prices. Just be patient and keep an eye out for auctions on eBay. I won a copy of FF3 with a manual for $30 bucks last December for example. If you wait the deals/opportunities will make themselves apparent.

1. Final Fantasy III
2. Super Mario RPG

It's getting harder. I lucked out on SMRPG last year for $15 at a flea market, but that's definitely an outlier. Your best bet would be to find a fellow enthusiast and work out a trade.

SKINNER!

Banned

Old fullscreen CRT that I've had for 10+ years. Had it since I was in my teens and it's bulky and heavy but does the job for retro games.

Like the previous poster said, ignore buy it now prices. Just be patient and keep an eye out for auctions on eBay. I won a copy of FF3 with a manual for $30 bucks last December for example. If you wait the deals/opportunities will make themselves apparent.

I fully agree with this. on a rare occasion you will find a reasonably priced "Buy It Now" price but on many occasions I have managed to win bids for games that were £30/£40 cheaper than Buy-It-Now prices. Waited close to 2 years before I managed to win a bid on a game at a decent price I was happy with. Just gotta be patient.

Speaking of Super Mario RPG, I was browsing ebay to see how much it was going for and there's a fake PAL version of it going for £116 on ebay UK.

or how about this PAL one from Australia for $119?

Why on earth are these sellers selling it at that high price when it's practically worthless?

Gonna see if I can find a nice boxed Chrono Trigger at PAX next month. I know I know, retro games are overpriced there but I really like supporting local video game stores rather than some ebay seller making a quick buck. Btw, does anyone know any good SNES box protectors that are sold cheap in the UK? Got one from Sentinel 64 but they're going for £2.99 for 1 and they aren't even doing any bundles :/

huxley00

Man, it is tough out there! I bought a SNES on Craigslist about 3 years ago, came with system, two controllers and 5 games (including Mario Kart and Super Mario RPG) for about 70 bucks.

Ive been playing SNES a bit more and wanted to track down a few games I liked, just to play and have some fun. I took a look around Craigslist, its a tough market! People seem to be very aware of the value of their Super Nintendo and games and it seems like its very hard to get good deals out there. I then check out Goodwill and find out they have an online presence that sells games for quite a bit as well? Yikes :(. I miss the days of swiping some good deals on Craigslist or maybe popping into Goodwill and seeing a few SNES games for cheap.

Those days seem to be gone? Maybe garage sales are my last hope...

Peagles

1. Final Fantasy III
2. Super Mario RPG

I have a spare FFIII I could trade or sell at a decent price, but by the time we post to each other (I'm in New Zealand) it'd probably be hardly worth it.

Man, it is tough out there! I bought a SNES on Craigslist about 3 years ago, came with system, two controllers and 5 games (including Mario Kart and Super Mario RPG) for about 70 bucks.

Ive been playing SNES a bit more and wanted to track down a few games I liked, just to play and have some fun. I took a look around Craigslist, its a tough market! People seem to be very aware of the value of their Super Nintendo and games and it seems like its very hard to get good deals out there. I then check out Goodwill and find out they have an online presence that sells games for quite a bit as well? Yikes :(. I miss the days of swiping some good deals on Craigslist or maybe popping into Goodwill and seeing a few SNES games for cheap.

Those days seem to be gone? Maybe garage sales are my last hope...

You can still find stuff at goodwill, but you have to be persistent. I found a pretty good deal last week on another forum, snes console, super metroid, DKC, SMW and clue for $50 shipped. There's deals out there you just need to always be on the lookout.

Edit: also is there anything you can do top prevent yellowing on a gray snes?

ok fuck Super Mario RPG i checked prices on Ebay and it really does seem there's no way to get it for a reasonable price right now, which means it's .... VC TIME cos i never even played it

huxley00

You can still find stuff at goodwill, but you have to be persistent. I found a pretty good deal last week on another forum, snes console, super metroid, DKC, SMW and clue for $50 shipped. There's deals out there you just need to always be on the lookout.

Edit: also is there anything you can do top prevent yellowing on a gray snes?

Ah ok, I will keep on trying then. I looked at Craigslist, I knew times changed when people were advertising SNES games with their condition rating in the post!

Anth0ny

Thanks for the tips, duders. Looking at some FFIII auctions now...

Of course, I see SMRPG for the first time ever in public being sold by the friendly neighbourhood retro game seller at my university campus.

$70 :/

Have you checked out Toyratt in Milton? They seem to have a pretty steady flow of FF3 copies, and I've seen SMRPG once or twice. They can sometimes be a little on the pricey side but not overly so.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think I paid around $45-$50 for Super Mario RPG cart-only on eBay. These things are only going to get more expensive over time.
Magical Pop'n SFC used to be $50. It now goes for over $250. Should've picked it up sooner! Same thing with Coryoon for PC Engine :/

Peagles

I've said this before but, I got laughed at a bit for buying SMRPG for $70 CIB sometime last year, because that was a rip off apparently. Little did we know...

I got SMRPG, Secret of Mana, Yoshi's Island and Goemon for $60 back in 2010 or so. Figured SNES collecting would be pretty easy, considering that.

Yeah, that didn't last long.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People always talk about how prices were better only a couple of years ago... but I've been actively hunting for over a decade and I never found it cheap.

Mzo

A few years ago I was turning up my nose at anything in the double digits at flea markets and garage sales.

Teknoman

Snagged FEDA: Emblem of Justice complete, it really is like another Shining Force game. I probably shouldnt go after all these complete SFC RPGs, but complete,cheap, and now able to just have the cartridge itself translated? Cant really pass that up. Plus there really arent that many (i think) so its not as bad as tracking down domestic releases.

Does anyone know if there is a finished Romancing SaGa 2 translation?

Velinos

Does anyone know if there is a finished Romancing SaGa 2 translation?

I do not believe there is one. I've been waiting for one for Romancing SaGa 1 and 2 since I played through 3 a decade ago. Hopefully translations for those will be done before I die.

Velinos

People always talk about how prices were better only a couple of years ago... but I've been actively hunting for over a decade and I never found it cheap.

Prices have gone up recently on the SNES across the board, but the RPGs have never been very cheap. I tracked down most of them back in 2007 and even then most were in the $30-50 range. I think I paid $50 for Super Mario RPG cart only back then.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

a lot of the games i bought for $15-20 are now going for over $100 some even more crazy like megaman 7 i bought that complete for like $30 and now its up to like $500

-KRS-

Just noticed that SD2SNES firmware v0.1.6 has been released.

Code:
v0.1.6
======

* OBC1 support (Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge works)
 * menu now displays the 10 most recently played games instead of one
 * hidden and system files are now ignored in the file browser
 * some minor internal changes for convenience of development
 * Fixes:
   - partial-size BS dumps should now load correctly
   - fixed a PSRAM mapping bug in the new BS-X mapping logic that caused
     graphical corruption on some games (notably Treasure Conflix garbled
     sprites)
   - SRAM mapping for LoROM <=16Mbits now uses the entire bank instead of
   - 0000-7fff only. Fixes saving in some games, e.g. Ys III Wanderers from Ys
http://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/359

I got Super Mario RPG for $50 flat at a mom & pop store in around December or so.

The days of finding great SNES stuff in the wild are long gone
(Though I got EarthBound for a few cents at Goodwill last year :p)
, so I figured "why not?" Turns out a retro specialty store in the city sells it for $80-90. Glad I bought it when I did.

Teknoman

I do not believe there is one. I've been waiting for one for Romancing SaGa 1 and 2 since I played through 3 a decade ago. Hopefully translations for those will be done before I die.

Aww. Apparently there is one patch that has some sort of spacing issue with the text or something. Dunno about 1, but since there is a PS2 version, maybe the interest isnt as high?

Doesnt help that I found this while looking for RS music the other day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-k_EU6ZR_Q

Top Bottom