• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Super Castlevania IV is probably the weakest gen4 Castlevania game (if you exclude the SNES port of DracX).

coming from a pleb without PCE to play Dracula X :::::(
If you have a Wii or WiiU its like 10 bucks on VC. It's also available on PSP via the Dracula X Chronicles compilation, which in an of itself often sells for $10 on PSN. It's locked behind the remake, but think you might be able to just download a save file with the original game already unlocked.

You shall all burn in hell for such blasphemy.

I like 3 more in the end but SCIV deserves its praise imo.

EDIT: Also forgot about the inclusion of Rondo on Dracula X Chronicles (even though its kind of sort of in the title/remake lol) I beat Dracula X and despised the polygonal presentation but I should probably play the original Rondo now thanks for reminding me sixteen-bit

Personally, I always ranked the Gen 4 CV games as such:

1 - Rondo of Blood
2 - Bloodlines
3 - Super Castlevania IV

Haven't played the SNES version of Dracula X, though. SCV4 is nice and all, but it's so damn boring to play compared to it's Genesis and PCE counterparts. The whip is waaaaay to easy to abuse and makes the game a bit of a cakewalk.
Doesn't help that the soundtrack is forgettable outside of a few select tracks, either.

I was really sad when I realized I had lost my copy of E.V.O.

money-down-toilet.jpg

Deyleone

Personally, I always ranked the Gen 4 CV games as such:

1 - Rondo of Blood
2 - Bloodlines
3 - Super Castlevania IV

Haven't played the SNES version of Dracula X, though. SCV4 is nice and all, but it's so damn boring to play compared to it's Genesis and PCE counterparts. The whip is waaaaay to easy to abuse and makes the game a bit of a cakewalk.
Doesn't help that the soundtrack is forgettable outside of a few select tracks, either.

Jesus, that's the most disagreeable spoiler I've seen in some time. I'd rank it way up there.

Definitely if you go the CIB route which is scarier.=O

Its terrible when you have a bunch of the big selling games from when you were younger, but they are all beat up from loaning them and playing them a ton with no box since your dumb younger self tossed it. Terrible in a spoiled adult kind of way I guess...

I... couldn't get into Castlevania IV..

Kinda though it s--- *banned*

I don't know why, but I kinda felt the same way the first few times I tried it, which admittedly, was a few years a go on VC. Never played the game when it came out. I tried a few times to get into SC4, but it just never clicked. I might have been too used to SOTN. Anyway, cut to last month, I got an SNES and a SC4 cart. I loved it. Played through it inside of 2 weeks and it's now one of my favorite Castlevania's even including Rondo which I loved when I played it on VC.

Mercutio

Dracula X on the SNES is a god damned disaster. And everyone I know is like "Oh, I tried that on an emulator the other day... what's the problem?" And then you ask "You only played for about 5 minutes, didn't you?"

Horrible, HORRIBLE game.

Got a mix of Pal SNES and NTSC-J Super Famicom. Super Famicom games are ridiculously cheap so i've converted much of my PAL Library into Japanese to make a profit and get dat 60hz <3 I don't speak any Japanese though so I tend to buy as few RPGs as I can. I have the Final Fantasy's on PS1 and Super Mario RPG on Virtual Console. Planning to get an NTSC SNES with Earthbound as I played through the Wii U version non stop!

Timu

Once I get Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP I'll try to unlock Rondo of Blood and see what's that like as that'll probably be the only PC Engine game I'll play.

IrishNinja

true, to a lesser extent ive heard SC IV as a reimagining of CV 1 but if yoiu enjoy the series you'd prolly still dig playing both

And the Turbo Grafx / PC Engine game is called Rondo of Blood, right?

So let me get this straight:

NES:
Castlevania
Castlevania II
Castlevania III

SNES:
Super Castlevania IV
Dracula X

Genesis:
Castlevania Bloodlines

PC Enginge:
Rondo of Blood

and aside from the Gameboy one, are there any others that predate Symphony of the night that I should be interested in?

IrishNinja

dont forget!

Don't forget to try the X68000 version, y'all.

It's more easily accessible on Castlevania Chronicles for PS1.

also one of the Gameboy ones got a nice remake on Wii VC as rebirth!

Dracula X on the SNES is a god damned disaster. And everyone I know is like "Oh, I tried that on an emulator the other day... what's the problem?" And then you ask "You only played for about 5 minutes, didn't you?"

Horrible, HORRIBLE game.

ive admittedly not finished it, but where exactly does it go to poop then?

Mercutio

What's the difference between

Dracula X (SNES)
Bloodlines (Genesis)
and the PC Engine game?

Bloodlines is an unrelated game, and quite good. Two characters to play as, great music, good variety in stages and bosses.

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood is the 10th game (hence the X) in the series in Japan. The original game was called "Devil's Castle Dracula" or, in Japanese, Akumajo Dracula. The name was changed in the USA due to the religious stance of the North American president of Konami at the time. A lot of religious iconography was also removed.

In Japan, Rondo of Blood was a shining gift from the gods of all things platforming. It is, without question, one of the finest examples of a "game" as they existed through that particular era. The control is tight, the levels are fantastically designed with phenomenal diversity of both tile and enemy, and there are numerous paths and secrets to explore and discover. Additionally, the music is absolutely stunning. In every way, the CD ROM format that the PC Engine provided was used to the maximum. It is a love letter to the medium, and to Castlevania fans in general. And this isn't me talking about it as someone who played it when it came out nearly two decades ago; I only played it to completion this past year.

It never saw release over here, because the people who sold the PC Engine in this country gave it a stupid name and were too busy eating babies to bother selling consoles properly. Also, they fucked up Kato Chan and Ken Chan. Fuck them.

The SNES saw a "semi sequel" which was just kind of a half assed remix of Rondo of Blood. In Japan, it was named Dracula XX. According to some wiki page, "Castlevania: Dracula X is considered to take place in a different universe than the official Castlevania timeline." A shitty universe that nobody should ever visit. Way to go, guys. Explain this turd away with the old "other universe" thing.

You can't play as Maria.

There are only two "alternate levels."

They increased the difficulty. Probably so that you would just give up and not see the rest of the "game."

There are fewer frames of animation everywhere.

Shaft isn't even in it.

The end Dracula battle is fucking insanity.

Tiles repeat everywhere, and the levels are bland corridors.

No CD sound.

Oh but hey! On the plus side, those flames in that first level are pretty dope, right? Totally worth the premium it fetches over the PCE game on eBay.

IrishNinja

haha, damn

remember when folks were down on it & shit was cheap though? it was a fair deal then, wasn't it?

i imported the superior version for like $30 a year or two back, no regrets
also yes owning it now, rondo takes a dump on it from so high up you'd think a titan was holding it there

Mercutio

haha, damn

remember when folks were down on it & shit was cheap though? it was a fair deal then, wasn't it?

i imported the superior version for like $30 a year or two back, no regrets
also yes owning it now, rondo takes a dump on it from so high up you'd think a titan was holding it there

It's probably only valuable now because so many people shit on and then burned their copies in rage. Scarcity driving value. I owned it as a teenager, hated it, and was profoundly confused by the love in games magazines for the PCE version. I thought they were the same thing! I regret getting rid of many games that became valuable later, but Dracula X isn't one.

Timu

Bloodlines is an unrelated game, and quite good. Two characters to play as, great music, good variety in stages and bosses.

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood is the 10th game (hence the X) in the series in Japan. The original game was called "Devil's Castle Dracula" or, in Japanese, Akumajo Dracula. The name was changed in the USA due to the religious stance of the North American president of Konami at the time. A lot of religious iconography was also removed.

In Japan, Rondo of Blood was a shining gift from the gods of all things platforming. It is, without question, one of the finest examples of a "game" as they existed through that particular era. The control is tight, the levels are fantastically designed with phenomenal diversity of both tile and enemy, and there are numerous paths and secrets to explore and discover. Additionally, the music is absolutely stunning. In every way, the CD ROM format that the PC Engine provided was used to the maximum. It is a love letter to the medium, and to Castlevania fans in general. And this isn't me talking about it as someone who played it when it came out nearly two decades ago; I only played it to completion this past year.

It never saw release over here, because the people who sold the PC Engine in this country gave it a stupid name and were too busy eating babies to bother selling consoles properly. Also, they fucked up Kato Chan and Ken Chan. Fuck them.

The SNES saw a "semi sequel" which was just kind of a half assed remix of Rondo of Blood. In Japan, it was named Dracula XX. According to some wiki page, "Castlevania: Dracula X is considered to take place in a different universe than the official Castlevania timeline." A shitty universe that nobody should ever visit. Way to go, guys. Explain this turd away with the old "other universe" thing.

You can't play as Maria.

There are only two "alternate levels."

They increased the difficulty. Probably so that you would just give up and not see the rest of the "game."

There are fewer frames of animation everywhere.

Shaft isn't even in it.

The end Dracula battle is fucking insanity.

Tiles repeat everywhere, and the levels are bland corridors.

No CD sound.

Oh but hey! On the plus side, those flames in that first level are pretty dope, right? Totally worth the premium it fetches over the PCE game on eBay.
And I also read that the SNES has even less music as well and it's a shame because there are awesome tracks I heard on the PCE version that should had been in the SNES version.

Top Bottom