• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Both great games. KotR is actually one of my favourite SNES beat-em-ups. I love the theme, I love the character selection (you select from one of three character classes), but I especially love the loot drops. As with most beat-em-ups, baddies drop loot which you can pick up to get points. But if you beat up the loot drops, they split into chunks, so a big treasure chest becomes multiple smaller blobs of treasure. This is theoretically so you can share with your co-op partners, but in fact the small treasure in aggregate is worth more than the large treasure. So make sure you always beat up loot drops to maximize your score! More points = More level-ups, and levelling up makes you look like a total badass, it's awesome.

Fularu

Banned
Knights of the Round impressions plz.

Knights of the Round is amazing. Very very faithfull port.

Super Turrican is great, but Super Turrican 2 destroys it. The first one is prety cheap though

As with most beat-em-ups, baddies drop loot which you can pick up to get points. But if you beat up the loot drops, they split into chunks, so a big treasure chest becomes multiple smaller blobs of treasure. This is theoretically so you can share with your co-op partners, but in fact the small treasure in aggregate is worth more than the large treasure. So make sure you always beat up loot drops to maximize your score! More points = More level-ups, and levelling up makes you look like a total badass, it's awesome.

This isn't always true. Some 800 chests split in 4 180 bags.

Teknoman

So its better than King of Dragons right? I've had coop fun in that, but the controls feel stiff, especially for a capcom game.

Timu

Here's some screenshots I took of me doing co-op with my bro, I'm Arthur and he's Lancelot.
ibdpdDaPasID52.PNG
iJMOlYqetyDiA.PNG
i70btdbrNovJL.PNG
iZ905DbkNkFt0.PNG
iDi5LrQaZYZ4p.PNG
ibxGvqL2lNkzbu.PNG
iTiTYrasnQHgp.PNG

We even made it to the final boss.
ibnrFGfLmvYNLY.PNG

BTW I really hate this guy.
iUbaNShQRcdFm.PNG

Here's a little from Super Turrican.

Olly88

Are there any Super Famicom RPGs aside from Shadowrun that have English text? A couple of months ago I would have thought probably no way, but after getting Shadowrun I'm now wondering if there's some others that I don't know about.

I loved Knights of the Round. Such a fun game.

It also has the honor of being the game where they felt the need to give the tigers ballsacks.

I've got a run saber and sunset riders I'm going to throw on eBay. Why's the going rate for carts only? Good condition

I feel like both of these have moved up in price lately

Super Turrican takes me back. I got that game for Christmas the year it came out. One of the best action games on the SNES. Never played part two though.

lazygecko

Super Turrican 2 is a very different game. It's a controversial title but I really like the game. Not a super big fan of Super Turrican 1. The overall presentation had that kind of very average European feel to it (which is strangely not as pronounced in Mega Turrican). ST2 just feels a lot more refined in several aspects.

Check the sold listings on eBay to get an idea of pricing

Thanks.

Have you guys ever tried doing a game of the week/month type thing? Where everyone plays a certain game and talks about it?

I think this thread could accommodate a weekly game. A monthly type thing would probably be best grouped in with other retro systems.

Teknoman

Thanks.

Have you guys ever tried doing a game of the week/month type thing? Where everyone plays a certain game and talks about it?

I think this thread could accommodate a weekly game. A monthly type thing would probably be best grouped in with other retro systems.

I tried with Genesis, but it wasnt weekly or monthly, was tied to a score challenge of sorts. I'd do more, but with work lately, i've been slacking lol.

I'd be game for anything like that though. I know in the PC engine / TG16 thread, trying to get a 1 shooter till you beat it type thing going.

Is anyone here a backer for Watermelon's Project N? I missed out on the early backing period but want to get an investor copy. Someone who has backed already can order another copy. Would obviously pay the cost and make it worth your while.

Thanks.

I'd love to get involved in something like this.

I have a bajillion ancient game cartridges (mostly famicom, NES) and want to play them, but never find a good opportunity. I'd like to participate in some kind of event with them.. that'd be great.

amnesiac

So I'm about to cut out those region locker tabs near the cartridge bay. I have a question though. After you do it, do regular SNES games not fit as well or is it like nothing ever happened?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have 2 US SNESs, one I cut the tabs, one I didn't, and I often get them mixed up. They are visually and functionally identical, unless I peer inside the cart slot. Those tabs really were just crude analog region locking, even though I think we all assumed they were cart "stabilizers" back in the day.

That said, I also got a Super Famicom, which I use any chance I can get because it's so nice looking, and the carts just look better plugged into their intended cart slot.... The color of the cart is more matched to the design of the SuperFami too. Aesthetics!

Use what ya got, though. Anyone not on that SFC cart train is missing out on so much of the library.

linkboy

I have 2 US SNESs, one I cut the tabs, one I didn't, and I often get them mixed up. They are visually and functionally identical, unless I peer inside the cart slot. Those tabs really were just crude analog region locking, even though I think we all assumed they were cart "stabilizers" back in the day.

That said, I also got a Super Famicom, which I use any chance I can get because it's so nice looking, and the carts just look better plugged into their intended cart slot.... The color of the cart is more matched to the design of the SuperFami too. Aesthetics!

Use what ya got, though. Anyone not on that SFC cart train is missing out on so much of the library.

I picked up a SFC when I was stationed in Japan from 05-07 just to say I have one. I've highly considered buying the SFC versions of all of my SNES games and swapping the boards to play them on my SFC.

Mercutio

Anyone want my Super Everdrive? I'm done with the Homebrew stuff I wanted it for, and tend to prefer real carts on a daily basis. It's in a standard Nintendo grey cart shell, with a repro Zelda label and a universal game case with printed insert. PM me if you're interested! I'll let it go for less to a forum folk.

Oh, dsp chip installed and 2gb card included. It is the current model from stone age, deluxe style. Only difference is the shell.

D.Lo

I picked up a SFC when I was stationed in Japan from 05-07 just to say I have one. I've highly considered buying the SFC versions of all of my SNES games and swapping the boards to play them on my SFC.
haha totally over the top but yes I see the appeal.

I've sometimes wanted to have 60Hz NTSC versions of PS1 games inside the superior looking Japanese or PAL cases. My ideal Final Fantasy 7 for example would be the USA version in the PAL case.

Fularu

Banned
haha totally over the top but yes I see the appeal.

I've sometimes wanted to have 60Hz NTSC versions of PS1 games inside the superior looking Japanese or PAL cases. My ideal Final Fantasy 7 for example would be the USA version in the PAL case.

Represent :D

Timu

Breeeak em!

Yup. Well maybe Ran and Shrua, dunno about the first, but havent played it in awhile.
Yeah I break my tabs on my SNES and mine plays every Super Famicom game flawlessly.

Also the 1st Rushing Beat is still good, but not as good as the sequels.

Fularu

Banned
Rockman x3 and Rockman and forte are now mine!

Recieved my Magic Sword and Gradius 3 yesterday.

Can't wait to play them tonight :)

Top Bottom