• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

NR1

image-161.jpg

FINALLY! Got this sucker in Irving, TX at Movie Trading Company. I NEVER see this version of All-Stars in the wild. The only time I ever saw it in the wild was at CGX and they wanted $100 for it. Got this one for $39

RexRogers

Neo Member
FINALLY! Got this sucker in Irving, TX at Movie Trading Company. I NEVER see this version of All-Stars in the wild. The only time I ever saw it in the wild was at CGX and they wanted $100 for it. Got this one for $39

I didn't realize that this was the less common version. It's the version I have from when I bought my SNES console off ebay 10 years ago.

Fularu

Banned
I didn't realize that this was the less common version. It's the version I have from when I bought my SNES console off ebay 10 years ago.

AFAIK some look for it because of the different sprite for Luigi in SMW

Edit : Also the game sells for about 25$ on ebay, so unless it's some very special version, I'm confused as to why someone would be asking 100$ for it

AFAIK some look for it because of the different sprite for Luigi in SMW

Edit : Also the game sells for about 25$ on ebay, so unless it's some very special version, I'm confused as to why someone would be asking 100$ for it
Even $39 seems a bit exorbitant to me. I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly certain I've seen it for less locally fairly recently. I'm not really a big fan of any of the conversions in Super Mario All-Stars. Certain things about them are just off. The only reason I ever boot up the game is to play Battle Mode in Super Mario Bros. 3, which is a flawless competitive take on the original Mario Bros. Nintendo should release a version of that on the eShop.

NR1

This this the version that I most commonly see around town. Typically the Player's Choice edition, but occasionally the normal edition. NEVER the All-Stars & World. Perhaps it's a regional thing? I have heard people over in the GameCube topic say that some of the common 1st party titles (Mario Sunshine) go for $50+, where as here in Dallas they go for $20 or $25.
image-163.jpg

Also saw these two CIB at my local Half Price Books today.
image-162.jpg

Cheerilee

IIRC, the only way you could get it was if you bought the console it came with.

Nintendo was giving away Mario World bundled for free with consoles for a long time, but then for a short while, late in the system's life, they decided to "sweeten the deal" by including Mario All Stars free in the console bundle as well. But carts are expensive, so Nintendo essentially crammed All Stars into the (slightly enlarged) free Mario World cart.

This was after they sold All Stars to most of the people who wanted it (including Players Choice reprints), and made a billion free Mario World carts, so the singular Mario World + All Stars cart is much less common.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
image-161.jpg

CGX is the absolute worst. Especially the one in Collin Creek Mall.

NR1

It's very common because it was bundled for years with the SNES everywhere in America

I guess he wanted to buy it at a store rather than online :)

I have had a ton of issues finding working copies of games from the GB/GBC and NES/SNES era. It's easier and faster to deal with a local merchant than mess with Internet returns. Plus, I see a lot of people complain about bootleg Chinese copies being sold on eBay... I figure a local supply at a used video store is more likely to be legitimate than online.

Kadmac25

So I am going to sell the SNES console that I picked up previously from eBay that had the smoke smell. I have cleaned it up pretty well but there is still a lingering smell.

Instead I decided to purchase a SNES console from a used video game retailer that sold it at a great price ($43). Anyway, I got lucky and when I cleaned the system I noticed that it is the 1 chip version. It has no yellowing and its in great condition. I am very pleased. :)

marvel8797

Neo Member
So I am going to sell the SNES console that I picked up previously from eBay that had the smoke smell. I have cleaned it up pretty well but there is still a lingering smell.

Instead I decided to purchase a SNES console from a used video game retailer that sold it at a great price ($43). Anyway, I got lucky and when I cleaned the system I noticed that it is the 1 chip version. It has no yellowing and its in great condition. I am very pleased. :)

try wrapping the console in scented fabric softener for a few days. works with smoke smelling cartridges, should work with a console. granted, afterwards it'll smell like flowers or rain or something, but its better than smoke I suppose.

baphomet

I have had a ton of issues finding working copies of games from the GB/GBC and NES/SNES era. It's easier and faster to deal with a local merchant than mess with Internet returns. Plus, I see a lot of people complain about bootleg Chinese copies being sold on eBay... I figure a local supply at a used video store is more likely to be legitimate than online.

The likelyhood that someone would take the time to bootleg a bunch of ~$20 games is nonexistent. Unless you're buying the very expensive stuff and have absolutely no idea what to look for, you'll never end up with a bootleg.

When you only deal locally you end up paying twice what the game is worth like that all stars and world cart.

This arrived a few days ago and I played it for a couple of hours a little earlier;

Super Soukoban. Can be pretty damn frustrating but also a lot of fun. Anyone else played/got it?
That box art is incredible. I haven't played that version but I am familiar with the series thanks to Boxxle one Game Boy, and I know exactly what you mean!

lazygecko

Rockman & Forte is still deserving of a digital re-release. The GBA port was okay but the cropped resolution made an already tough game even tougher.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rockman & Forte is still deserving of a digital re-release. The GBA port was okay but the cropped resolution made an already tough game even tougher.
So, so wierd you posted this. About 30+ minutes ago I was just thinking about this game and how it needs a modern re-release. Disturbance in the Force?

Kadmac25

So I have encountered a few things with my SNES console on both CRT and HDTV. Whenever I load Final Fantasy Mystic Quest I get some lines at the top of my screen in a few places.

Since I currently have two SNES consoles right now I noticed the problem is only there for my 1 chip version. For the earlier SNES console, it doesn't show the same problem. Have any of you encountered graphical problems like this for the 1 chip? Everything else plays fine.

With the 1 chip, I noticed the issue is there where I play through s-video or RCA.

IMG_0482.jpg

RexRogers

Neo Member
So I have encountered a few things with my SNES console on both CRT and HDTV. Whenever I load Final Fantasy Mystic Quest I get some lines at the top of my screen in a few places.

Since I currently have two SNES consoles right now I noticed the problem is only there for my 1 chip version. For the earlier SNES console, it doesn't show the same problem. Have any of you encountered graphical problems like this for the 1 chip? Everything else plays fine.

With the 1 chip, I noticed the issue is there where I play through s-video or RCA.

The 1-CHIP is known for this type of thing. While it outputs the sharpest and most defined picture, in the words of higan programmer byuu it's more of an official emulator than just another hardware revision. Other games will display these tiny graphical glitches if you know where to look.

Kadmac25

The 1-CHIP is known for this type of thing. While it outputs the sharpest and most defined picture, in the words of higan programmer byuu it's more of an official emulator than just another hardware revision. Other games will display these tiny graphical glitches if you know where to look.

I see, interesting. Well, I guess its good to know there isn't something necessarily wrong with my console. The other thing I noticed is there are occassional sputters when playing on an hdtv, much like what I see in an emulator. I am guessing this is the fault of the HDTV because I don't experience that on an CRT. So I guess the only solution for having perfect smooth screen on the SNES console for HDTV is to get the Framemeister, right?

Exuro

Was wondering what I could do to make a cart work more reliably. I have a copy of DKC1 and it takes quite a few times to properly boot up(in fact I haven't managed to get it to boot today which is why I'm asking : /). I've tried alcohol + qtip and while it did take some grime off it didn't seem to help. Is there another method of cleaning that would be more effective or could it possibly be another issue? My snes plays the other 5 games I have fine.

Ric Flair

Banned
Was wondering what I could do to make a cart work more reliably. I have a copy of DKC1 and it takes quite a few times to properly boot up(in fact I haven't managed to get it to boot today which is why I'm asking : /). I've tried alcohol + qtip and while it did take some grime off it didn't seem to help. Is there another method of cleaning that would be more effective or could it possibly be another issue? My snes plays the other 5 games I have fine.

Does the kart make a rattling noise when you shake it? Could be a loose board inside the cartridge causing it to not make full contact when you push it in the snes

Gameboy415

This arrived a few days ago and I played it for a couple of hours a little earlier;

Super Soukoban. Can be pretty damn frustrating but also a lot of fun. Anyone else played/got it?

Yep! I'm a huge fan of Soukoban/Boxxle games and I picked up this one back when I lived in Japan. :)

If you like Super Soukoban, I strongly recommend checking out Power Soukoban.
g094686pshq.jpg

It was a late-release (came out in 1999!) published by Nintendo that is a really fun mash-up of Zelda-style gameplay and Soukoban!
It has great character designs and the soundtrack is excellent too - here's one of my favorite tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSf8vBKtXYw

Tain

Got a CIB R-Type III (Japanese) coming to me this week. I'll finally have all the worthwhile console R-Type games, lol.

Now if only I could clear the first!

Exuro

Does the kart make a rattling noise when you shake it? Could be a loose board inside the cartridge causing it to not make full contact when you push it in the snes
Not sure rattle is the best word to use but it does feel/sound like the board is moving around more than other carts when I shake it. I think this might be the issue as I just took it out to check and when I put it in I slightly nudged it while it was on and the screen went crazy. Would I just need to tighten the screws on the case?

edit: yeah if I put the cart in and press it towards the back of the snes it works every time. It needs to like not be nudged or else the screen goes all glitchy and then black.

What should I do? Is this an issue with the cart or with the snes? I' would assume the later as I'm not having issues with other games, but I don't see how the cart would be having contact issues. Wiggling other games doesn't screw them up.

edit2: I think I figured out the issue. The circuit board is loose enough that when I press the game in it pushes up enough that it isn't contacting well enough. If I press the game down while turning it on it's fine. I think I need to just open up the cart and see if something inside is busted or if it just isn't tightened enough.

Olly88

Yep! I'm a huge fan of Soukoban/Boxxle games and I picked up this one back when I lived in Japan. :)

If you like Super Soukoban, I strongly recommend checking out Power Soukoban.
g094686pshq.jpg

It was a late-release (came out in 1999!) published by Nintendo that is a really fun mash-up of Zelda-style gameplay and Soukoban!
It has great character designs and the soundtrack is excellent too - here's one of my favorite tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSf8vBKtXYw

Yeah I saw that one when I found out about Super Soukoban. It looks really cool, but SS was way cheaper so figured I'd get that first to make sure I like it. It looks like Power Soukoban doesn't get listed on eBay too much, so hopefully I don't end up desperately wanting it :p Would definitely like to try it at some point though.

Checked out that music and a couple of other tracks and it does sound really good!

Teknoman

The one time I find a good condition SFC copy of Wild Guns from a seller I trust, it turns out it's a bootleg.

Sigh...

Wait...so...oh man. I think im going to go open my cart now. Never even crossed my mind about SFC bootlegs, actually from japan.

ibx1KMZ13qCpWe.jpg

Legit...yes?

Teknoman

Super late with this reply, but is there a good way to break off those tabs? I've read about people using Dremels to file the tabs away or needle nose pliers and just snapping them off.

Needle nose away. Just try to clear off most, but it doesnt have to be perfect.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Final Fight is really hard. I only got to that stupidly cheap police boss which shoots at you lol. I can see why Capcom made the like this for the arcades, but they couldnt even give us unlimited continues to beat the game at home? Any nice codes for level select or more continues so I can have a chance of beating this sucker?

Timu

Final Fight is really hard. I only got to that stupidly cheap police boss which shoots at you lol. I can see why Capcom made the like this for the arcades, but they couldnt even give us unlimited continues to beat the game at home? Any nice codes for level select or more continues so I can have a chance of beating this sucker?
Hold L and Press Start and set lives to 9. Also, I hate that Final Fight port despite the fact that I beaten it, such a bad port.

Mark5130

Final Fight on SNES is such a mixed bag. On one hand you have big, colorful sprites and awesome music, but then you have missing co-op, missing Guy, missing industrial level, missing Poison, missing Roxy and it's heavily censored. More good than bad, for sure, but it's still one of my favorites.

Needle nose away. Just try to clear off most, but it doesnt have to be perfect.

I will try and summon the courage to do this. Thanks for the tip!

I can't in any good faith call the music in the SNES version of Final Fight "awesome". It's really low-quality stuff, sounding far less full than even the FM synth-based arcade version. Often times some of the channels that should be playing harmony are just outright missing. Other times, the instruments are way off-key.

Incidentally, the subway theme exemplifies both problems! Compare the arcade and SNES versions and you'll see what I mean. The lead that kicks in at 7 seconds initially doesn't even sound like it's playing at the same key as the rest of the track up to that point, and the horn at 20 seconds has a bit of harmony in the arcade version that simply isn't there in the SNES version. (Personally the Final Fight CD version blows both out of the water, but it's more of a remix than it is a straight transcription, I suppose, and isn't exactly a fair comparison.)

Top Bottom