• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Mark5130

(Personally the Final Fight CD version blows both out of the water, but it's more of a remix than it is a straight transcription, I suppose, and isn't exactly a fair comparison.)

I'll agree that, while not a faithful transcript, the SEGA CD has the best music of any version of Final Fight. The SNES music is second, and it still sounds great to me, even after all these years. Maybe it's nostalgia? :D

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot how great the Sega CD music was! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YK31P5IFI

I also like Final Fight, but it's also disappointing. I'm guessing Capcom didn't want to pay for more than a 8 mega cart, requiring cuts.

For comparison:

Final Fight 2 - 10 mega
Final Fight 3 - 24 mega

Streets of Rage 2 - 16 mega

Fake edit: then I look at TMNT IV at 8 mega, and I just don't know what to think anymore.

Timu

The music in the SNES version of Final Fight is awful as well, like they're not even taking advantage of the SNES sound chip.

I do like the music in Final Fight CD a lot more.

Mark5130

If I recall correctly, weren't the cuts due to time constraints? Stuff like Poison, missing blood and changed boss names was Nintendo censoring to keep their squeaky-clean image, but cutting co-op AND Guy? That was a kick to the balls.

Timu

If I recall correctly, weren't the cuts due to time constraints? Stuff like Poison, missing blood and changed boss names was Nintendo censoring to keep their squeaky-clean image, but cutting co-op AND Guy? That was a kick to the balls.
They were in the Japanese version, the superior SNES version of this game.

lazygecko

I seriously consider Capcom's early sound output on the SNES to be unlistenable. Close to a quarter tone out of tune at times, and you definitely don't need musically trained ears to pick up on that. This was remedied in 1993 and forward but still persisted to a degree across their games, especially in MMX3.

I'll agree that, while not a faithful transcript, the SEGA CD has the best music of any version of Final Fight. The SNES music is second, and it still sounds great to me, even after all these years. Maybe it's nostalgia? :D

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot how great the Sega CD music was! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_YK31P5IFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2O4_pacok This was always a favorite. Anyways, Final Fight 1 on SNES is kinda hot garbage compared to the Sega CD version. 2 and especially 3 are pretty fantastic.

dodgeme

Got some slightly harder to get my hands on games coming in soon. Bought Megaman X3 to finish off my Megaman X collection as well as King of Dragons.

Shining

I seriously consider Capcom's early sound output on the SNES to be unlistenable. Close to a quarter tone out of tune at times, and you definitely don't need musically trained ears to pick up on that. This was remedied in 1993 and forward but still persisted to a degree across their games, especially in MMX3.

I agree. Games like Magical Quest 2 and 3 are not easy on the ears. To some extent, even Demon's Crest has some horrible sounding tunes.

Recently got a nice deal on Ganabare Goemon (Mystical Ninja) 2,3 and 4. Still waiting for the package. I know GG2 is considered the best in the series, but what about the other two? GG3 is some kind of platformer/adventure hybrid?

Exuro

Got my 3.8mm tool in. Gave DKC1 a vigorous cleaning and was a little disappointed to not see grime on the cloth but apparently that worked. It booted up on the first go and I was able to tilt the cart back and forth without it glitching out. Really happy now.

Teknoman

I agree. Games like Magical Quest 2 and 3 are not easy on the ears. To some extent, even Demon's Crest has some horrible sounding tunes.

Recently got a nice deal on Ganabare Goemon (Mystical Ninja) 2,3 and 4. Still waiting for the package. I know GG2 is considered the best in the series, but what about the other two? GG3 is some kind of platformer/adventure hybrid?

I still dont see how Magical Quest 1 came out sounding so good and then 2 is just...what were they thinking?

You have nothing to worry about.

Whew.

Rydeen

Yeah, Goemon 3 has some adventure elements including some quiz questions that need to be answered correctly in order to proceed through the game. They're lite elements, but they will require a faq to get passed. 4 goes back to the more linear gameplay of the first two games, so you shouldn't have a problem with that one.

D.Lo

Yeah, Goemon 3 has some adventure elements including some quiz questions that need to be answered correctly in order to proceed through the game. They're lite elements, but they will require a faq to get passed. 4 goes back to the more linear gameplay of the first two games, so you shouldn't have a problem with that one.
Goemon 3 is the best in the series, ever (any platform) IMO.

Just spectacular.

I got a copy at huge expense at release back in the day, because I loved 1 and 2 so much. Slogged through without knowing any Japanese at all, it was definitely a problem back then without FAQs!

Ban Puncher

Got a lovely minty complete copy of Clock Tower in today. Came from a local seller and cost far less than what it goes for on e
xtortion
Bay. Cheaper than what I would of paid if I was in Japan myself.

Very pleased.

Tain

My R-Type III came in yesterday. Surprised at the condition!

zOjerbFl.jpg

Peltz

Can you post a specific track as an example?

HaL64

The music in the SNES version of Final Fight is awful as well, like they're not even taking advantage of the SNES sound chip.

I do like the music in Final Fight CD a lot more.

I'm always on here defending this game. :)
it's amazing how nostalgia is a factor here. It's some of my favorite music on the SNES. I rented a SNES with this game from Blockbuster several times as a kid. And hearing the music takes me back.

At least we can agree the SNES music is better than the Arcade's? :)

SNES

Arcade

Sega CD

Ban Puncher

it's amazing how nostalgia is a factor here. It's some of my favorite music on the SNES. I rented a SNES with this game from Blockbuster several times as a kid. And hearing the music takes me back.

7HjKd.gif

SNES

Arcade

Sega CD

Mmm..with all due respect, no. CPS1 and Sega CD sound way better.

dodgeme

Mega Man X collection is now complete for the SNES. Only had to shell out $140 in total for the three. Found Mega Man X and X2 at a thrift a while back for 3.99 each.

Now to get my hands on Mega Man 7 sometime.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mega Man X collection is now complete for the SNES. Only had to shell out $140 in total for the three. Found Mega Man X and X2 at a thrift a while back for 3.99 each.

Congrats. I want to do the same someday.

I'm not one to celebrate the collecting aspect with "haul pics," but I just scored a clean SFC with Axelay, Super Aleste, Sonic Wings, and R-Type III. I may have to post photos when they arive.

Fularu

Banned

Mines complete too, but I went for the SFC releases, so I have 7, X, X2, X3 and Forte! (and soccer if we really want to get into it :p)

dodgeme

Mines complete too, but I went for the SFC releases, so I have 7, X, X2, X3 and Forte! (and soccer if we really want to get into it :p)

I know there the same games but I for some reason want to collect the SNES releases even though they cost a fortune. I've only been importing a few games that didn't get SNES releases like The Firemen. I'll probably get Forte sometime though.

Then on the other hand I'm completely opposite with my Saturn and am focusing on Japan releases.

Tain

SNES

Arcade

Sega CD

ouch, seriously? SNES Stage 2 music is awful. I struggle to see how someone could prefer it.

SNES

Arcade

Sega CD
No. In fact, you chose the exact track I chose to use to highlight how the SNES version's music is an utter disaster of a port job. The FM synth arcade version is better for literally every track.

And it's not because of the SNES soundchip, I know it's better than this. It's just a very, very bad rendition of a very good song.

I dunno, Konami translated Sunset Riders's and Turtles in Time's FM-synth-with-4-channels-of-DAC soundtracks to the SPC700 well enough.

I mean, I still kinda prefer the FM synth versions (marginally more channels, so a bit more harmony), but they're still REALLY good takes on the originals.

HaL64

No. In fact, you chose the exact track I chose to use to highlight how the SNES version's music is an utter disaster of a port job. The FM synth arcade version is better for literally every track.

And it's not because of the SNES soundchip, I know it's better than this. It's just a very, very bad rendition of a very good song.

I appreciate FM music, there certainly is plenty on the Genesis, but the Final Fight Arcade's is not that great. I think any time someone tries to do a distorted guitar in FM it sounds terrible and ruins it for me.
This also may be from hearing SNES version first and the Arcade version way after.

Timu

I dunno, Konami translated Sunset Riders's and Turtles in Time's FM-synth-with-4-channels-of-DAC soundtracks to the SPC700 well enough.

I mean, I still kinda prefer the FM synth versions (marginally more channels, so a bit more harmony), but they're still REALLY good takes on the originals.
Sunset Riders has fantastic music on SNES, I even prefer some of it over the arcade version and all over the Genesis version.

Sparkster, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist and Animaniacs all also sound really good on the Genesis, so I think it's fair to say Konami actually did pretty well with their soundtracks on the system.

I appreciate FM music, there certainly is plenty on the Genesis, but the Final Fight Arcade's is not that great. I think any time someone tries to do a distorted guitar in FM it sounds terrible and ruins it for me.
This also may be from hearing SNES version first and the Arcade version way after.
I'm kinda used to FM synth rock guitars. Heck, it's one of the things FM synths excel at, since they can hit just the right levels of scratchy and bassy fairly easily (often by accident, hence why some soundtracks on the Genesis are ear-bleedingly scratchy and bassy).

Either way, I'll take that over the SNES version of Final Fight's clearly-off-key instruments.

Konami made 0 effort on their Genesis games. They all sound rather bad :( (except Contra/CV)

They put actual effort into RKA and Contra, and absolutely nothing else. Yeah, Genesis Konami is quite disappointing. At least those two games are great, though.

Sparkster, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist and Animaniacs all also sound really good on the Genesis, so I think it's fair to say Konami actually did pretty well with their soundtracks on the system.
Those three games are all quite average, unfortunately. SNES Sparkster is a real sequel to RKA; Genesis Sparkster is a weird, and not as good, spinoff. Hyperstone Heist is okay, but it's a blatant ripoff of earlier, better Turtles beat 'em ups with absolutely zero new anything. And Animaniacs is an average platformer with some easy puzzle elements. I haven't played SNES Animaniacs, though, so I don't know if that one is better or not.

Those three games are all quite average, unfortunately. SNES Sparkster is a real sequel to RKA; Genesis Sparkster is a weird, and not as good, spinoff. Hyperstone Heist is okay, but it's a blatant ripoff of earlier, better Turtles beat 'em ups with absolutely zero new anything. And Animaniacs is an average platformer with some easy puzzle elements. I haven't played SNES Animaniacs, though, so I don't know if that one is better or not.
What does this have to do with anything? We're talking music here. We already know your opinions of Konami on the Genesis, you bring it up fairly often. (And I still vehemently disagree, but there's no discussion to be had here that hasn't already been had.)

Sunset Riders music is legendary. Great quality stuff.

What does this have to do with anything? We're talking music here. We already know your opinions of Konami on the Genesis, you bring it up fairly often. (And I still vehemently disagree, but there's no discussion to be had here that hasn't already been had.)
Uh, SNES TMNT:HH music versus the Genesis? About on par with everything else, it's a downgrade compared to the comparable SNES game. Same for Castlevania, Sunset Riders, Sparkster, etc. And TMNT Tournament Fighters... the gameplay, graphics, music, everything is awful in the Genesis version of that one. Even Genesis Konami's defenders can agree on that last one, I hope!

I know some of you actually think that Genesis Castlevania has great gameplay and music, but I don't understand that idea at all, the game's disappointing and doesn't look, playu, or sound anywhere near as good as the SNES games. Before I even got to the game design flaws in Bloodlines, first the graphics and sound disappointed me compared to SCIV and RoB. Konami's Genesis games were obviously done on smaller budgets than their SNES games in almost every case. The music certainly was not exempt from that! RKA and Contra are of course the exceptions to that.

As for Animaniacs for Genesis, I have it, but nothing about it really stands out, and that certainly includes the music. As I said though I won't be too critical in comparison, because maybe the SNES game is just as average...

But eh, for me at least I've found that I usually like soundtracks in games I like, so I don't think of the music and gameplay as entirely separate things... there are games I like with bad music, but when I think of 'soundtracks I like a lot it's always of games I like a lot. I've never cared much about music in general, of course; that might be a reason for this, I don't know.

Sunset Riders music is legendary. Great quality stuff.
Yeah, Arcade and SNES Sunset Riders looks and sounds amazing! Such a great game. The Genesis version is a very disappointing game, because it's so repetitive and bland in comparison to the arcade/SNES game, and is missing so much stuff, but at least the music's good. Genesis Sunset Riders does sound nice. Unfortunately, the overall audio presentation's hurt far too badly by the removed voices to call it equal to the SNES game... seriously, Konami, actually spend money on your Genesis games, like you did on the SNES ones!

Beatrix

Congrats on the pick up! I'm very jealous you got it at such a great price for those 3. I just need X2 and X3 myself to complete my personal Mega Man X series collection.

dodgeme

Congrats on the pick up! I'm very jealous you got it at such a great price for those 3. I just need X2 and X3 myself to complete my personal Mega Man X series collection.

I also for the hell of it just threw a best offer at an eBay seller for Castlevania Dracula X and he actually took it. Got it for $105 which seems to be a bit under what the going rate is right now. Really gotta stop myself but it's nice getting a few of the hard to find games on the slightly cheaper then going rate prices.

I don't think you got what I was saying, so let me spell it out as clearly as possible: I am insulted that you decided to come in out of nowhere and use my "hey, this was pretty awesome" posts to launch into yet another one of your controversial "Konami on Genesis is shit" tirades. It's a topic we've already gone over elsewhere, and all it's ever lead to is back and forth "this game is shit." "Nuh uh!" "Yuh huh!" "No way!" "Yes way!" This is not a worthwhile discussion having in any way, shape or form.

My first post was not an invitation to launch into an even longer one. Quit bothering me.

D.Lo

The music certainly was not exempt from that! RKA and Contra are of course the exceptions to that.
I love the Bloodlines soundtrack, but hate the Contra:HC soundtrack. The first is great Genesis music, punchy, tuneful, uses the limitations to its advantage, the second is nasty FM tecnho, classic 'robot farts' if ever I heard it.

So it's all opinions really.

Top Bottom