• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Howdy, folks. I'm not sure what the best place to ask this is (and I don't want to make an entire thread for it) but does anyone have recommendations for Megaman games? Which are the most well liked? Which would you all recommend for someone new to the series?
I realize the series spans many platforms, but I don't want to bump every retro game thread, and this one seems most active at the moment. I'm open to games on whatever system.

Kadmac25

So I just got done modding my SNES to accept Super Famicom games. I also just got Chrono Trigger (Japan version) in the mail today and I tested how smooth it plays on an actual SNES. After using emulators for so long, I forgot what it was like to have such smooth screens.

Since following the path to get perfect gameplay, I've noticed a few things on the SNES though. Some parts of Chrono Trigger have slow down which was something I never took notice of as a kid. For example, the frame rate sputters slightly while running if lots of sprites are on the screen. I saw this on the millennial fair occasionally and also in the Zeal Palace. The other thing I've noticed is my SNES 1chip has the vertical line in the center. I only noticed it on black screens (like the title screen) but it's disappointing to say the least.

I find that this quest for perfect gameplay on either emulator or actual console can be a slippery slope...

IMG_0485.jpg

Howdy, folks. I'm not sure what the best place to ask this is (and I don't want to make an entire thread for it) but does anyone have recommendations for Megaman games? Which are the most well liked? Which would you all recommend for someone new to the series?
I realize the series spans many platforms, but I don't want to bump every retro game thread, and this one seems most active at the moment. I'm open to games on whatever system.
Generally speaking, 2 and 3 are the most well-liked. 4 is pretty decent. 5 and 6 are typically where people feel the series started running out of steam. 7 is pretty good, if a bit hit-or-miss with people (given the larger sprites and splitting up of the 8 robot masters into two sets of 4). 8, I think is generally well-liked - at any rate, I'm a fan of it. Rockman and Forte is also pretty cool, although if you want it in English the GBA version is your only recourse. Most people like 9 and 10.

That's the classic series, anyway. As far as X goes, X and X4 are the ones I recommend, personally.

Generally speaking, 2 and 3 are the most well-liked. 4 is pretty decent. 5 and 6 are typically where people feel the series started running out of steam. 7 is pretty good, if a bit hit-or-miss with people (given the larger sprites and splitting up of the 8 robot masters into two sets of 4). 8, I think is generally well-liked - at any rate, I'm a fan of it. Rockman and Forte is also pretty cool, although if you want it in English the GBA version is your only recourse. Most people like 9 and 10.

That's the classic series, anyway. As far as X goes, X and X4 are the ones I recommend, personally.

This is an impeccable response, thank you so much! Think I'm going to dive in with X4 or 2.

Fularu

Banned

For me X2 is the best "classic" X game though :p

You can probably get X4 5 and 6 for the price of X2 "cart alone"

Fortunately I'm not big into proper collecting snes games. At some point I will probably suffer from that (and prices will be even more ridiculous), but for now I hold off. I'll just get it on virtual console or whatever.

Fularu

Banned
Fortunately I'm not big into proper collecting snes games. At some point I will probably suffer from that (and prices will be even more ridiculous), but for now I hold off. I'll just get it on virtual console or whatever.

If you don't mind going the SFC route, X2 can be had for about 24-25$ shipped. I got 7, X and Soccer for 22$ shipped (all three combined).

Forte was the most expensive one for me (35$ shipped)

Teknoman

Still think X4 soundtrack isnt all that compared to X5, but this isnt the PS1 thread so i'll fall back :p

One thing i'm honestly curious about: How is Bob? I remember renting the game over and over back in the day, but never really made it anywhere in the game. Also are there any run and gun games (region doesnt matter) I may have missed out on aside from Contra 3 or Turrican series?

Still think X4 soundtrack isnt all that compared to X5, but this isnt the PS1 thread so i'll fall back :p

One thing i'm honestly curious about: How is Bob? I remember renting the game over and over back in the day, but never really made it anywhere in the game. Also are there any run and gun games (region doesnt matter) I may have missed out on aside from Contra 3 or Turrican series?

Rendering Ranger :D

Teknoman

Yeah, infinite money is the only reason I dont have Hyper Duel, Blast Wind, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and Burning Rangers.

Then again, isnt Rendering Ranger a game on the repro circuit?

EDIT: Guess so.

Rydeen

It's ridiculous to think that a game like Rendering Ranger that was made by a Western developer, published by a Western company (Virgin) and intended for a Western audience in North America and Europe never got a proper release in anyplace other than Japan.

Fularu

Banned
It's ridiculous to think that a game like Rendering Ranger that was made by a Western developer, published by a Western company (Virgin) and intended for a Western audience in North America and Europe never got a proper release in anyplace other than Japan.

Europe had given up on the 16bit generation by then.

The reverse of Namco's Rolling Thunder 3, lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So I just got done modding my SNES to accept Super Famicom games. I also just got Chrono Trigger (Japan version) in the mail today and I tested how smooth it plays on an actual SNES. After using emulators for so long, I forgot what it was like to have such smooth screens.

Since following the path to get perfect gameplay, I've noticed a few things on the SNES though. Some parts of Chrono Trigger have slow down which was something I never took notice of as a kid. For example, the frame rate sputters slightly while running if lots of sprites are on the screen. I saw this on the millennial fair occasionally and also in the Zeal Palace. The other thing I've noticed is my SNES 1chip has the vertical line in the center. I only noticed it on black screens (like the title screen) but it's disappointing to say the least.

I find that this quest for perfect gameplay on either emulator or actual console can be a slippery slope...

IMG_0485.jpg

I still have a LOT more peace of mind since I returned to the "real hardware" fold after being lost in the emulator wilderness about a decade ago.

When there's slowdown on a real SNES, you know it was always that way. There's no reason to think about it.... it's actually nostalgically pleasant to have authentic slowdown. But if it happened on an emulator, you'd think... "was that a glitch? Are my settings wrong? Am I a fraud of a human being???"

With the real thing I can turn off my brain.

(and with my SNES in RGB through a Framemeister, I never see that bar in the middle of the screen. Dunno why. Yes it's technically there).

I love the Bloodlines soundtrack, but hate the Contra:HC soundtrack. The first is great Genesis music, punchy, tuneful, uses the limitations to its advantage, the second is nasty FM tecnho, classic 'robot farts' if ever I heard it.

So it's all opinions really.
I love techno music, though. Probably my favorite Genesis game soundtrack is The Adventures of Batman & Robin, for example. That game has such a great, great soundtrack! So yeah, can't agree with you here. Hard Corps' up-tempo soundtrack is really good and fits the game perfectly. But Bloodlines, all I can do there is compare those compositions to the SNES ones (in SCIV) and find Bloodlines lacking... the Genesis just isn't as good at that kind of music.

I agree with most of this, apart from one thing -- 8, well-liked? I'm not so sure about that... I'd say opinions on Mega Man 8 are very mixed. I think it's okay, but not as good as the NES games. Capcom has to have been unhappy with it in some way too -- I mean, they abandoned the current-gen systems and went back to the SNES for the next Mega Man game after it! There's got to be some reason for that. MM&B released 16 months after Capcom's previous SNES game in Japan -- they had no SNES releases in 1997 anywhere.

As for my favorites, 4 is my favorite Mega Man game. X4 is my favorite X game, followed by X1. Also, for anyone with a 3DS, take advantage of the Virtual Console releases of Mega Man IV and V... fantastic games, and it'll cost far less than the carts.

I don't think you got what I was saying, so let me spell it out as clearly as possible: I am insulted that you decided to come in out of nowhere
This is a very weird comment, considering that I post quite often in most all of the classic-system threads...

and use my "hey, this was pretty awesome" posts to launch into yet another one of your controversial "Konami on Genesis is shit" tirades.
No, I don't think that. My position on most of Konami's Genesis games isn't controversial. I only disagree with consensus opinion to any significant degree for one Konami Genesis game -- Castlevania Bloodlines, which yeah, I don't understand why people seem to like so much. It's a thoroughly average game. But on the other hand, Contra: Hard Corps is, in my opinion, the best Contra game ever. Sure, I'm not a series fan (I love Metal Slug, not Contra), but Hard Corps is a fantastic, fantastic game and I love it. Both of those positions are probably "controversial". They're not both bad for Genesis Konami, obviously. :p

As for the rest of the Konami Genesis games that I've played, that is TMNT:HH, TMNT Tournament Fighters, RKA, Sparkster, Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure, Sunset Riders, and Animaniacs, I don't disagree from average about any of those, really. I'm a little harsher on Hyperstone Heist than some, but I think it's a plenty fun game; it's just unoriginal and copies everything in it from earlier, better games. It's quite fun to play anyway, though. Sega-16's 7/10 review of the game might even be low. I would probably give it an 8, despite its faults. The same goes for their 5/10 review of Genesis Sparkster -- it's no match for RKA or SNES Sparkster, but it's a fun game despite that. I agree with their score in their 7/10 review of Genesis Animaniacs, though. Tiny Toon Adventures... the SNES platformer has way better graphics, but the two play very differently; I'm not sure offhand which one has the better gameplay. And Genesis Sunset Riders and TMNT Tournament Fighters are, by almost all accounts, disappointing compared to their SNES counterparts. I praised Genesis Sunset Riders' music in my last post, though, and it deserves it. Oh, and I forgot to mention the two Lethal Enforcers games. They're average light gun games for the time. Amusing stuff, I've enjoyed both of them even if they're certainly not great. They have definitely aged, but with a light gun at least are still fun for sure. The first Lethal Enforcers is also on SNES, but the second one isn't, so the Genesis has the advantage there. There are also Sega CD versions of both games, with some minor enhancements. And of course Snatcher is pretty great as well; a JP Turbo CD port, but pretty great. If only they'd ported over Rondo of Blood and Gradius 2 also. :)

When I think of Konami's 4th-gen console offerings, overall, obviously the SNES got the majority of their attention. Konami released far more games for the SNES than for the other systems. This makes sense, it won the generation by a good-sized margin, particularly in their home region of Japan. But between the Genesis and the TG16/TCD (PCE), it's harder; Konami released a lot more games for the Genesis, but their few Turbo games include some of their best of the generation, most notably their CD games Snatcher, Gradius 2, Tokimeki Memorial, and of course Rondo of Blood. But does their much larger library of Genesis releases make up for that? For instance, I love platformers of course. RoB is amazing, one of the best platformers of the generation for sure, even if I like SCIV even more. But that's Konami's ONLY platformer on the TG16 or CD! Meanwhile, on Genesis their best game (Rocket Knight Adventures) isn't quite at that peak, but it's still a really, really good game, and there's also Sparkster, Animaniacs, and Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure as well. A case can be made for the Genesis there.

(and with my SNES in RGB through a Framemeister, I never see that bar in the middle of the screen. Dunno why. Yes it's technically there).
I definitely see that bar in the middle of my screen with an RGB SCART cable/XRGB-Mini. Having a high-quality signal doesn't diminish it any.

Also noticed some odd flickering when a large part of the screen is black, like walking around the basements in Worus Castle in Final Fantasy V, which I can't say as I'd noticed before. Yes, still over RGB. Bizarre.

Oh my God shut up already. How many times do I have to say "I don't want you talking to me about this" before you stop quoting me to talk about this? Jesus.

BocoDragon

Having a high-quality signal doesn't diminish it any.

No, of course it wouldn't (should make it more prominant if anything). But it could be the scanlines, it could be my plasma, it doesn't bother me. I don't see it. And I am definitely not using the low-pass filter either.

Oh my God shut up already. How many times do I have to say "I don't want you talking to me about this" before you stop quoting me to talk about this? Jesus.
When you say something which is not true, such as that I supposedly think Konami's Genesis games are all bad or something, of course I'm going to respond! I imagine you didn't even read that post of mine, but you should.

It is weird, but that's not the only game like that -- the Turbo CD ports of Loriciel's Baby Jo, Jim Power, and Builder Land were all Japan-exclusive, for example. Skweek on TG16 (PC Enigne) as well; the game got a US release only on Game Gear (as Slider). Of course those first three games did get European releases on other platforms, and the US got SNES Jim Power, but not the US Turbo CD releases, even though there's not one word of Japanese ingame in any of the three. (Loriciel did make a few US-released TG16 games, Andre Panza Kick Boxing and Davis Cup Tennis, but those aren't anywhere near as good as those ones I listed earlier...). It's odd to see a Western-developed game that only releases in Japan, but it does happen once in a rare while.

I just thought of another example of this as well -- the Final Fight Revenge for arcades and Sega Saturn, a Japan-exclusive game and Capcom's last release for the Saturn, actually was developed in the US, oddly enough! Perhaps the arcade version got a US release, I'm not certain, but the Saturn version sure didn't, and they didn't port the game anywhere else.

lazygecko

I would agree that the original arcade FM renditions of the Final Fight music isn't that great either, but at least it's in tune. I think one of the big problems with Capcom's CPS1 music in general, including Street Fighter 2, is that the PCM is just mixed way too loud and overpowers everything else.

There is one standout Capcom soundtrack where it very much seems like they used sampled FM and that's the SNES port of King of Dragons

SNES soundtrack
Arcade soundtrack

The more static, short looped FM samples give it more of a kind of Namco wavetable feel and it's still quite pleasant to listen to. But the fact that the original is in mono while the SNES port is stereo helps a lot. Probably their best downport from a sound perspective and even surpasses the original thanks to the stereo.

-KRS-

The other thing I've noticed is my SNES 1chip has the vertical line in the center. I only noticed it on black screens (like the title screen) but it's disappointing to say the least.

Just let it go and learn to live with it. It's there on almost all SNES units. It's never been a problem for me when actually playing a game. I've just accepted it as something a real SNES does.

There is one standout Capcom soundtrack where it very much seems like they used sampled FM and that's the SNES port of King of Dragons

The more static, short looped FM samples give it more of a kind of Namco wavetable feel and it's still quite pleasant to listen to. But the fact that the original is in mono while the SNES port is stereo helps a lot. Probably their best downport from a sound perspective and even surpasses the original thanks to the stereo.

Incidentally, King of Dragons SNES has one of my favorite SNES soundtracks. So good. And I definitely like it more than the arcade version, not just for the stereo sound but also for the instrument samples themselves.

lazygecko

Incidentally, King of Dragons SNES has one of my favorite SNES soundtracks. So good. And I definitely like it more than the arcade version, not just for the stereo sound but also for the instrument samples themselves.

The fact that it doesn't use the stereotypial SNES orchestration with samples string section and such makes it stand out so much as an oddity. Normally I don't like hearing those kind of stiff trumpet sounds you usually hear in SNES RPGs, but here it's put in a very different context which makes it mesh with the rest of the music much better.

I also like Final Fight, but it's also disappointing. I'm guessing Capcom didn't want to pay for more than a 8 mega cart, requiring cuts.

Fake edit: then I look at TMNT IV at 8 mega, and I just don't know what to think anymore.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that they could have properly fit all the content on an 8 meg cart. Disassembly and just general analysis of Capcom's 16-bit games has shown that they weren't particularly efficient about optimizing their code and assets. For example I've read that Mega Man X has significantly more slowdown than it really needs to, even with the SNES CPU taken into account. I guess Capcom's roots in arcade games made them too complacent with just bruteforcing everything on the incredibly powerful arcade hardware at the time.

Peltz

I still have a LOT more peace of mind since I returned to the "real hardware" fold after being lost in the emulator wilderness about a decade ago.

When there's slowdown on a real SNES, you know it was always that way. There's no reason to think about it.... it's actually nostalgically pleasant to have authentic slowdown. But if it happened on an emulator, you'd think... "was that a glitch? Are my settings wrong? Am I a fraud of a human being???"

Well said about legit hardware. I think it's why I've decided to come out of the emulator wilderness in the past few years as well.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that they could have properly fit all the content on an 8 meg cart. Disassembly and just general analysis of Capcom's 16-bit games has shown that they weren't particularly efficient about optimizing their code and assets. For example I've read that Mega Man X has significantly more slowdown than it really needs to, even with the SNES CPU taken into account. I guess Capcom's roots in arcade games made them too complacent with just bruteforcing everything on the incredibly powerful arcade hardware at the time.

That makes sense to me. The more I study these things, the more the "human factor" in development weighs in importance. Many of the things consoles have been blamed for come down to, dare I say? "lazy devs."

By the way, do you have a source for your comment on Mega Man X?

Mercutio

CV is CastleVania :p

And yeah, Rocket Knight is great, but that'S mostly because it was a MegaDrive game all along.

Oh god I'm a horrible monster. I assumed the worst of you! YET IT WAS I WHO WAS THE WORST.

But yeah, oh man, Bloodlines has really become one of my favorite classic (non Metroidvania) Castlevanias in the past few years. It's third on my list behind Rondo of Blood and Castlevania 3 (Famicom version). There's something about it I find innately fun, and always approachable.

Kadmac25

I hear you and I think that is a valid point. For me, I am still weighing my options. Getting the right setup for the console costs quite a bit for both routes of RGB - whether that is a Framemeister or a Sony PVM TV with scart cables and BNC connectors. Emulation provides free immediate results of crisp graphics but suffers from smoothness or small inconsistencies.

Now I have the smoothness of the console but small things I have to live with as well (spending a lot of money to get emulator like graphics, dealing with the vertical line in the screen, ect.).

I don't know. I see valid points for both sides and still just trying to figure out what direction to take. If money wasn't an issue it would definitely be the console with either the Framemeister or PVM TV.

I guess what keeps going through my mind is the price tag associated with fixing small things that I guess I could learn to live with too via emulation.

Timu

I would agree that the original arcade FM renditions of the Final Fight music isn't that great either, but at least it's in tune. I think one of the big problems with Capcom's CPS1 music in general, including Street Fighter 2, is that the PCM is just mixed way too loud and overpowers everything else.

SNES soundtrack
Arcade soundtrack

In terms of the gameplay overall I prefer the arcade version due to class changing between levels and 3 player co-op. As for sound, while the SNES version sounds great, the sound effects are muffled to hell.

So this finally showed up after a long trip through the mail. Never actually beaten it, looking forward to doing so this week.

Feels good to tick off one of my bigger collection gaps.

As an aside, anyone looking for a copy of R-Type: Third Lightning? I've ended up with two, somehow, and wouldn't mind trading it for something of similar value. Cart is in good shape and I can provide pics if you're interested. PM me.

Fularu

Banned
So this finally showed up after a long trip through the mail. Never actually beaten it, looking forward to doing so this week.

As an aside, anyone looking for a copy of R-Type: Third Lightning? I've ended up with two, somehow, and wouldn't mind trading it for something of similar value. Cart is in good shape and I can provide pics if you're interested. PM me.

This must have cost an arm and a leg!

Grats. That is a game that I feel like I have lost my chance on. Like it a lot but the price is getting past the point of a justifiable purchase. Especially since I am trying not to get anymore boxless snes games.

RexRogers

Neo Member
That kickstarter for the RGB-to-component cables made it with over two weeks to spare. This will be great. No more internal mods or $80 multi-part solutions.

Teknoman

That kickstarter for the RGB-to-component cables made it with over two weeks to spare. This will be great. No more internal mods or $80 multi-part solutions.

I'll still take a wait and see approach, especially since with mods, scart to component adapters, and framemiesters having been in play all this time, and no larger third party thought to make component cables.

Im not super skeptical about kickstarter stuff, but you never know.

Something for for collectors snes that seems very interesting :O

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hdretrovision/sega-genesis-and-super-nintendo-component-cables

for $35 a set of snes component seems like a good dead and they so no shipping cost :O
First I'd seen of this. Anyone know how this solution would compared to s-video? I get what I feel like is a pretty reasonable experience playing SNES games on my plasma TV via s-vid, but if this is an improvement in any way I would drop the $35 for it. Someone asked this question on the Kickstarter page comments thread, but the creators didn't answer it...

BocoDragon

It just seems odd to release a product that is about picture improvement, when the only people needing a component cable will be using them on a TV that is going to upscale the SNES image badly anyway.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
First I'd seen of this. Anyone know how this solution would compared to s-video? I get what I feel like is a pretty reasonable experience playing SNES games on my plasma TV via s-vid, but if this is an improvement in any way I would drop the $35 for it. Someone asked this question on the Kickstarter page comments thread, but the creators didn't answer it...

They're basically taking an RGB signal and converting it into a component signal. That's going to be superior to s-video, but it's nothing new. A lot of North American retro gamers have been converting RGB into component for years in order to get the best picture possible on consumer-level CRTs and HDTVs. A good number of HDTVs do not accept 240p over component, so that's something to be aware of.

If you have a larger multi-console setup, it's probably better to go with RGB and then use an external solution to convert to component. But if you're looking to do just a couple consoles, than these cables should work fine.

D.Lo

It just seems odd to release a product that is about picture improvement, when the only people needing a component cable will be using them on a TV that is going to upscale the SNES image badly anyway.
Yep. It will marginally improve the image on an HDTV over s-video, but still only get the quality from 3/10 to 4/10, it will produce a laggy, motion artifating mess on 90% of HDTVs or may not even work at all.

It might be an acceptable solution for the type of casual gamer that doesn't notice stuff like incorrect aspect ratios. And will work nicely for a component-only CRT. But on an HDTV, it will not be any good if you're even slightly discerning about image quality.

Ultimately I'd imagine it will be about on par to those component to HDMI converters for $15 on eBay for most people.

The company is rubbing people the wrong way by calling themselves 'HD' and pretending their products are somehow revolutionary.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Yep. It will marginally improve the image on an HDTV over s-video, but still only get the quality from 3/10 to 4/10, it will produce a laggy, motion artifating mess on 90% of HDTVs or may not even work at all.

It might be an acceptable solution for the type of casual gamer that doesn't notice stuff like incorrect aspect ratios. And will work nicely for a component-only CRT. But on an HDTV, it will not be any good if you're even slightly discerning about image quality.

Ultimately I'd imagine it will be about on par to those component to HDMI converters for $15 on eBay for most people.

Would you apply this argument towards the Gamecube component cables? Until HDMI became common place component was as good as it got for video signals. Need I mention that the first X360's were component-only? Why are you so down on component? What are you running exactly?

And those HDMI converters are known to be garbage.

The company is rubbing people the wrong way by calling themselves 'HD' and pretending their products are somehow revolutionary.

My guess is the "HD" just has to do with playing on HDTV. You're reading too much into it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Does anybody have any experience with the StarFox 2 repros that are floating around? Just completed StarFox and kinda feels the urge to pick up the unreleased sequel.

D.Lo

Would you apply this argument towards the Gamecube component cables? Until HDMI became common place component was as good as it got for video signals. Need I mention that the first X360's were component-only? Why are you so down on component?
No the argument does not apply to the Gamecube. Component is great for 480p or above.

It's marginally worse than RGB for 480i, since RGB has more colour data.

RGB inputs usually don't support 480p, and therefore consoles like the Gamecube don't output 480p via RGB.

Component is the best quality connection on any consoles that support it natively (with the possible exception of the PS2, RGB may be better for most games on it)

However SNES outputs at 240p. If your HDTV even supports 240p over component (many do not), It will most likely convert the 240p to 480i, then deinterlace it to 480p, then scale it to 1080p.

This adds lots of lag, blurring, and motion artifacts. I have never seen it look good on any HDTV. On my screen (a Panasonic Plasma with an excellent scaler - 480p looks great on it) it looks chunky (poorly scaled without any scaliness) but okay when static - a bit like a poorly blown up jpeg. But it becomes a blurry interlacey mess when moving.

And those HDMI converters are known to be garbage.
So are the scalers in most HDTVs for 240p and 480i sources.

My guess is the "HD" just has to do with playing on HDTV. You're reading too much into it.
You can plug a SNES into an HDTV with RF if you want. Is that an 'HD' cable?

What are you running exactly?
I run a Framemesiter to HDTV, and a PVM.

I used to use a $45 RGB to component converter on my SDTV, which allowed me to use RGB consoles on the screen which didn't have a Scart input. These cables would be good for that application, if less versatile than a $45 box that covers all consoles that do RGB out (e.g. Mega Drive, Saturn, PS1, SNES etc).

But component cables are to me not a suitable solution in any way to connect a SNES to an HDTV.

D.Lo

Yeah it does. Several GameCube games explicitly ask you if you want progressive video when you have the component cables hooked up.
Typo - I meant over RGB. Basically 480p is the main reason component can be better than RGB.

Gamecube is a special case too, since the DAC is in the cable, and the YUV is better quality than almost any other component output of any other console, at least of the era.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Does anybody have any experience with the StarFox 2 repros that are floating around? Just completed StarFox and kinda feels the urge to pick up the unreleased sequel.

I bought one from OCD Reproductions. He sells them for $90. They cost a lot because there's a lot of extra work in creating a repro SuperFX game. I haven't run through the whole game yet, but mine seemed to run just fine.

Top Bottom