• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

dodgeme

Been on a bit of a buying spree. Tried to not but couldn't pass some of these up. Been throwing best offers at people and am actually getting some decent prices for ebay and amazon terms.

Got:

Final Fight 3 - $60
Castlevania Dracula X - $105
Rival Turf - $5
Brawl Brothers - $12
King of Dragons - $45
The Combatribes - $15

Plus just recently got Megaman X3 for $130 from a gaffer. Sure it's a lot to spend but quite frankly most of these don't pop up locally any cheaper and for ebay terms I got some decent prices. Don't be afraid to throw best offers at ebay sellers. They accept more then you think. Hoping to get the Peace Keepers at $20 as well.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Been on a bit of a buying spree. Tried to not but couldn't pass some of these up. Been throwing best offers at people and am actually getting some decent prices for ebay and amazon terms.

Got:

Final Fight 3 - $60
Rival Turf - $5
Brawl Brothers - $12
King of Dragons - $45
The Combatribes - $15

Plus just recently got Megaman X3 for $130 from a gaffer. Sure it's a lot to spend but quite frankly most of these don't pop up locally any cheaper and for ebay terms I got some decent prices. Don't be afraid to throw best offers at ebay sellers. They accept more then you think. Hoping to get the Peace Keepers at $20 as well.

Nice prices. I also got FF3 for $60 a few months back and thought it was a steal. Nabbed it on eBay with some good luck. And $130 for MMX3 is excellent. I literally bought that from the trunk of someone's car for $75 after they had an ad on CL.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I bought one from OCD Reproductions. He sells them for $90. They cost a lot because there's a lot of extra work in creating a repro SuperFX game. I haven't run through the whole game yet, but mine seemed to run just fine.

Thanks! And is the game any good/worth owning for a fan of the original?

Timu

Got:

Final Fight 3 - $60
Rival Turf - $5
Brawl Brothers - $12
King of Dragons - $45
The Combatribes - $15

Except for Combatribes those are epic prices!!!

dodgeme

Man never played Megaman X3 when I was younger. Been trying to play through it and man is it difficult. A lot of fun though actually having a challenge with games again.

Morfeo

Finally getting around to Demons Crest, and holy shit this game is amazing. And difficult! I already had some heavy troubles on the second boss (the eyes in the bubble). Really looking forward to the continuation of it!

akileese

I'm noticing a lot of the SNES carts I've been picking up lately have been failing from retro shops. Is there any real way to fix the rattle? My NES/N64 collection is going strong and fine, but man, the failure rate on the SNES games I'm picking up seems to be skyrocketing lately.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I haven't played enough of it yet to give an opinion. The design is pretty different though, you don't really hit levels in a set order. I kinda bought mine for the uniqueness of the repro and the game's history more than anything, probably better to try before you buy if you are concerned about quality.

-KRS-

I'm noticing a lot of the SNES carts I've been picking up lately have been failing from retro shops. Is there any real way to fix the rattle? My NES/N64 collection is going strong and fine, but man, the failure rate on the SNES games I'm picking up seems to be skyrocketing lately.

Have yet to have any game fail me on any console so far. Well, except for Kid Dracula on the Famicom which for some reason had glitchy graphics, and the enemies and the elevators in the second level simply failed to load. Had to get a new one of that. But other than that it's never been anything that a good cleaning wouldn't solve. And I don't think the rattling has anything to do with it. Some games just do that, probably because they have larger PCBs or something. I have more than a couple that does and all of them work fine.

Have you cleaned them thoroughly? Preferably by opening the carts up and using a vinyl eraser to basically erase the dirt off of the pins and then using isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip to get rid of the vinyl residue. That usually does the trick for me.

Finally getting around to Demons Crest, and holy shit this game is amazing. And difficult! I already had some heavy troubles on the second boss (the eyes in the bubble). Really looking forward to the continuation of it!

Great game. If you get the chance and means to play it, I'd also recommend Gargoyle's Quest 2 for NES or WiiU VC. It's not the same visual feast that Demon's Crest is, but I'd argue it's the better game of the series.

Morfeo

Great game. If you get the chance and means to play it, I'd also recommend Gargoyle's Quest 2 for NES or WiiU VC. It's not the same visual feast that Demon's Crest is, but I'd argue it's the better game of the series.

Thanks! I actually just completed Gargoyles Quest 2 about a month ago. Really great game for sure!

Fularu

Banned
Some new arrivals :)

mm79MLA.jpg

Q2glrxI.jpg

SNDicaX.jpg

8lBgWKf.jpg

l7l8cSi.jpg

Teknoman

Got:

Final Fight 3 - $60
Rival Turf - $5
Brawl Brothers - $12
King of Dragons - $45
The Combatribes - $15

Nooo! Do not buy the peacekeepers. Get Rushing beat syura. Peacekeepers is missing the vast majority of the soundtrack, even when turning it on in the options menu, and replaced super animations with worse animations.

Nooo! Do not buy the peacekeepers. Get Rushing beat syura. Peacekeepers is missing the vast majority of the soundtrack, even when turning it on in the options menu, and replaced super animations with worse animations.
Unless you can read Japanese though you'd miss out on the story if you get the Japanese version, and the game has branching paths and a fair amount of conversations...

I think so. I bought mine a few years ago who made one for me. Got it for $60.

Like the other poster said, you can choose your own path and is a relatively short path. Making your Arwing transform is pretty sweet!

I totally recommend it. Not like we've had a lot of Star Fox games lately anyways haha.

Morfeo

I think so. I bought mine a few years ago who made one for me. Got it for $60.

Like the other poster said, you can choose your own path and is a relatively short path. Making your Arwing transform is pretty sweet!

I totally recommend it. Not like we've had a lot of Star Fox games lately anyways haha.

Very true, and thanks! I think you just made me make up my mind on this :)

Beat Demons Crest and Skyblazer this weekend - two amazing and underrated games!

Mercutio

God damn it, I finally bought a copy of Chrono Trigger. Prices have dipped to around $60, and I have no idea if they're going to go up or down from here... had to finally bite the bullet. Favorite game and such.

Peltz

God damn it, I finally bought a copy of Chrono Trigger. Prices have dipped to around $60, and I have no idea if they're going to go up or down from here... had to finally bite the bullet. Favorite game and such.

Congrats Mercutio. It's never the wrong move to drop some money on a cart of CT. The SNES version has the best translation in my opinion.

I prefer the SNES version to the DS one simply because the aspect ratio is correct.

Does the DS one make everything look skinny and tall like in Super Mario Advance games? I can't seem to remember now.

TBF SNES has kind of a fucked up aspect ratio (pixel ratio?) to begin with. I don't think most developers took that into account except for obvious things like the moon in Chrono Trigger.

I could point out plenty of places in Chrono Trigger SNES (and plenty of other SNES games) where it looks totally stupid cause the developer didn't compensate for the horizontal stretch:

SNES:

DS:

I always suspected that was the problem with Illusion of Gaia since everything looks so squat on a TV but I have nothing concrete to base it on

Morfeo

Where was this? At that price, I might even finally take the plunge myself, even though I already own both the DS and the PS1-versions.

Finally started playing Earthbound on an actual Snes yesterday btw, hope it lived up to the hype
and price.

Seik

Banned
Man, Mega Man 7 and X3 really went up in price. O_O

Bought 7 for 40$ and X3 for 70$ 5 years ago, now I couldn't even buy one of those for the price I bought them both combined back then.

It's been a while since I invested in a SNES game, I pretty much consider my SNES collection complete, but surely there's something worth discovering that I'm missing. Will check this out once I have a moment for myself during Christmas vacations.

Huggers

Been in a big Snes ting of late. Recently grabbed DKC, Super R-Type, Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Rock n Roll Racing all boxed. Been playing some Super Star Wars too, fuck that game is punishing! Are the sequels any easier. When I was a kid I swear I almost finished the first, struggling like crazy now

Morfeo

Been in a big Snes ting of late. Recently grabbed DKC, Super R-Type, Super Ghouls n Ghosts and Rock n Roll Racing all boxed. Been playing some Super Star Wars too, fuck that game is punishing! Are the sequels any easier. When I was a kid I swear I almost finished the first, struggling like crazy now

All three games are close to impossible to beat legit imo. Luckily, there is decent codes you can use if you just want to through it all.

Peltz

TBF SNES has kind of a fucked up aspect ratio (pixel ratio?) to begin with. I don't think most developers took that into account except for obvious things like the moon in Chrono Trigger.

I could point out plenty of places in Chrono Trigger SNES (and plenty of other SNES games) where it looks totally stupid cause the developer didn't compensate for the horizontal stretch:

SNES:

DS:

The DS version is missing clearly missing some pixels. I forgot the DS is sub-240p resolution. The bottom is cropped.

Also, to say the SNES version looks "totally stupid" is a bit of a
"stretch" ;-).

Peagles

Where was this? At that price, I might even finally take the plunge myself, even though I already own both the DS and the PS1-versions.

Finally started playing Earthbound on an actual Snes yesterday btw, hope it lived up to the hype
and price.

I don't know about others, but playing on an actual SNES was the only time I was able to really get into the game. My brother and I had experimented with emulators as kids to play games we couldn't get a hold of back in the day (namely with SNES stuff like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound - we live in a PAL region and playing Smash Bros on the 64 ignited our curiosity) but something about Earthbound meant I just couldn't play past the first few minutes on an emulator.

However once I finally got hold of the game (thanks gaf!) and played it on my SNES I could hardly put the damn thing down until I finished it. I like to think it was meant to be, cos emulators suck and I think I also got to play it at a good time in my life. I'm not sure I would have appreciated it as much back in the day.

Huggers

All three games are close to impossible to beat legit imo. Luckily, there is decent codes you can use if you just want to through it all.

Had a feeling this might be the case. Shame really, they get so much right but are unfairly tricky.

-KRS-

and price.

Damn, first Demon's Crest, and now Earthbound. You going after the pricey games right now? :D I really want Demon's Crest one day. It's legitimately one of the best action platformers on the system IMO.

I think you'll enjoy Earthbound. It's a very special game that only gets better as you play.

It's been a while since I invested in a SNES game, I pretty much consider my SNES collection complete, but surely there's something worth discovering that I'm missing. Will check this out once I have a moment for myself during Christmas vacations.

There's always Super Famicom! Some great Japan only games to be had, unless you already have bought those as well of course.

Seik

Banned
There's always Super Famicom! Some great Japan only games to be had, unless you already have bought those as well of course.

You're totally right!

The only SFC game I have is Ganbare Goemon 2. Now that I think of it there's that Back to the Future game that poked my interest since I saw it on AVGN.

Any suggestions of SFC games that are exclusive to Japan worth it? Big fan of SHMUPs, beat-em-ups and adventure games here. :)

-KRS-

You're totally right!

The only SFC game I have is Ganbare Goemon 2. Now that I think of it there's that Back to the Future game that poked my interest since I saw it on AVGN.

Any suggestions of SFC games that are exclusive to Japan worth it? Big fan of SHMUPs, beat-em-ups and adventure games here. :)

Sadly I'm not as knowledgeable about the SFC and which games are great myself compared to the FC, so I'm also always looking for recommendations. For shooters though there's one I've seen recommended a lot called Cotton 100% that I've wanted to get for a while. And then there's the Parodius series as well.

Another one I've been looking to get is a platformer from Hudson called DoReMi Fantasy which is really great, but is often quite expensive. And I'm gonna continue to recommend Umihara Kawase whenever I get the chance because I just love it, although I realize it's not for everyone. It's also a bit expensive, although not terribly so for just a cart.

Morfeo

I don't know about others, but playing on an actual SNES was the only time I was able to really get into the game. My brother and I had experimented with emulators as kids to play games we couldn't get a hold of back in the day (namely with SNES stuff like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound - we live in a PAL region and playing Smash Bros on the 64 ignited our curiosity) but something about Earthbound meant I just couldn't play past the first few minutes on an emulator.

However once I finally got hold of the game (thanks gaf!) and played it on my SNES I could hardly put the damn thing down until I finished it. I like to think it was meant to be, cos emulators suck and I think I also got to play it at a good time in my life. I'm not sure I would have appreciated it as much back in the day.

Yeah this sounds very much like me, also from Pal-land, and tried out a lot of the classics on emulator, but couldnt get into them, including quite a few masterpieces like Super Metroid (which neither I or anybody I knew had). When I finally got them on cartridges, it was a completely different story though, and I have really liked a lot of them. Hopefully that will also be the case with Earthbound!

Damn, first Demon's Crest, and now Earthbound. You going after the pricey games right now? :D I really want Demon's Crest one day. It's legitimately one of the best action platformers on the system IMO.

I think you'll enjoy Earthbound. It's a very special game that only gets better as you play.

Haha, yeah, Ive been lucky with some deals lately, and have actually gotten quite a few of the more pricier games including Wild Guns, Hagane and those two. Still payed a lot of course, but not as much as the ebay-prices, and the quality of those games are just so high that I need to own them :) Still need to pick up EVO, Ogre Battle and a few other hard to get for reasonable prices-games. Hope and think I will like it!

Had a feeling this might be the case. Shame really, they get so much right but are unfairly tricky.

Yeah, it kinda sucks, but just use codes as saving/continues, and you will get through them eventually. They are all well worth plowing through for all the stuff they indeed does right imo. Some crazy fun levels in there!

Peltz

I don't know how you PAL people played fighting games like SSB at 50hz. Yeesh.

I feel for you guys. It's just not fair and you deserved better.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Europe had to endure a lot of tragedies in the 20th century.... PAL games being the most notable of them.

Peagles

We really had nothing to compare it to. I never saw 60Hz until I got the OOT bonus disc and it asked if we wanted to switch games to 60Hz after that. We didn't really know what it was but we knew it looked and felt better.

It's kinda good nowadays though, I buy heaps of retro NTSC games locally because nobody else wants them!

Weiss

Banned
To anybody in the Niagara region: A while back I went to a place called King of Trade in St. Catharines on King Street, and they had a copy of Yoshi's Island for 25 bucks.

-KRS-

Haha, yeah, Ive been lucky with some deals lately, and have actually gotten quite a few of the more pricier games including Wild Guns, Hagane and those two. Still payed a lot of course, but not as much as the ebay-prices, and the quality of those games are just so high that I need to own them :) Still need to pick up EVO, Ogre Battle and a few other hard to get for reasonable prices-games. Hope and think I will like it!

Whoa, nice! :O It's pretty hard getting deals these days, especially for such sought after games. Congrats.

Most of the pricey games I have, like Earthbound, I got years ago when they were still somewhat reasonable. They were still expensive compared to other games at the time, but not like today. It felt like a lot to pay for a game back then, but now I'm so glad that I decided to get them when I did.

In the case of N64 Smash Bros. specifically, the PAL version actually doesn't even run at 50fps. For some reason they changed it to 30 fps instead if I recall correctly. =/

The later PAL Smash Bros. games allowed you to run them in the PAL60 format though, so they were full speed. From the GC and forward most games let you run them at 60hz, so by then it was pretty alright. Well, at least on Nintendo consoles. Most PAL PS2 games were still 50fps.

These days I only buy NTSC games for NES and SNES since I bought NTSC consoles for both because of that 60hz goodness. It's just so much better. The problem with that though, is that living in Europe means the only consistent way of getting NTSC games is eBay, especially if you're looking for something specific. And that can be costly these days as we all know... And now with the Global Shipping Program that most US eBay sellers use it's even worse because the cheapest shipping becomes like $25. Yes, to ship even a friggin' Game Boy cart to Sweden costs around $25, plus eventual import charges if the game is expensive enough. :(

As you can imagine, I get a lot of Japanese games instead these days... Still, there are some US sellers that don't use GSP so one can wait for auctions from those. I think a lot of BIN sellers like lukiegames and jj-games sell mostly to international buyers these days because of this. Because yes, they are a couple of dollars more expensive but they have WAY cheaper shipping (lukiegames has $5 shipping for me per game, + $2 for each additional game, for example) so for me that still makes it worth it in a lot of cases. And even if they are a little more expensive than waiting for auctions, they're still much cheaper for me than buying PAL games locally. Retro game prices in Sweden has gone truly insane.

...sorry that became pretty rant-y. Just had to vent a little lol.

Mercutio

and price.

My copy on eBay was $69, shipped. I've seen a few pop up between $65 and $70. They go pretty fast though.

Peltz

synt4x, don't worry... I'd be rant-y as shit for decades if I had been a PAL gamer.

At least the problem has been fixed for a little while now.

Mzo

That's a silly thing to say. I beat the Super Star Wars and Super Empire on Jedi as a kid. Only beat Super Jedi on the default difficulty because I didn't enjoy it as much for whatever reason.

Jedi difficulty is totally unreasonable and requires intimate knowledge of the game. Normal difficulty is pretty straightforward, though.

Timu

Jedi difficulty is ridiculous in those games, lol, though I did manage to beat various stages in those games on the Jedi difficulty at least, would like to do Jedi on all stages in all games someday as I did normal on all 3.

Top Bottom