• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

noquarter

Another one I've been looking to get is a platformer from Hudson called DoReMi Fantasy which is really great, but is often quite expensive. And I'm gonna continue to recommend Umihara Kawase whenever I get the chance because I just love it, although I realize it's not for everyone. It's also a bit expensive, although not terribly so for just a cart.
Just wanted to say that I think it is interesting that apparently DoReMi Fantasy is the sequel to Milon's Secret Castle. Once I found that out I started to look for it, buy like you said it is a little pricey.

Might as well also mention I got really lucky in eBay last week and win a copy of Super Mario RPG that is pretty much mint CIB (complete not just cart instructions box) for less than $70. Don't know if it is too much of a deal, but I was pretty stoked.

Mzo

Umihara Kawase is extremely fun to play once you understand the springy line mechanics.

It looks and plays so much better than the recent 3DS game =/

BTails

Jedi difficulty is ridiculous in those games, lol, though I did manage to beat various stages in those games on the Jedi difficulty at least, would like to do Jedi on all stages in all games someday as I did normal on all 3.

I've only done Easy for everything, granted I haven't played them since I was a kid. I did buy Super Jedi recently, I should get around to it!

-KRS-

Umihara Kawase is extremely fun to play once you understand the springy line mechanics.

Yes! At first I didn't think much of it. Just seemed like a somewhat interesting platformer. But once I understood that mechanic I was completely hooked (hah!).

Haven't played the 3DS one but I can't say I'm a fan of the graphics. Although this series isn't known for having great art or graphics in the first place I'd say.

Peltz

I decided to stop playing that game (the SFC version). It just gets too hard for me.

Shining

These days I only buy NTSC games for NES and SNES since I bought NTSC consoles for both because of that 60hz goodness. It's just so much better. The problem with that though, is that living in Europe means the only consistent way of getting NTSC games is eBay, especially if you're looking for something specific. And that can be costly these days as we all know... And now with the Global Shipping Program that most US eBay sellers use it's even worse because the cheapest shipping becomes like $25. Yes, to ship even a friggin' Game Boy cart to Sweden costs around $25, plus eventual import charges if the game is expensive enough. :(

As you can imagine, I get a lot of Japanese games instead these days... Still, there are some US sellers that don't use GSP so one can wait for auctions from those. I think a lot of BIN sellers like lukiegames and jj-games sell mostly to international buyers these days because of this. Because yes, they are a couple of dollars more expensive but they have WAY cheaper shipping (lukiegames has $5 shipping for me per game, + $2 for each additional game, for example) so for me that still makes it worth it in a lot of cases. And even if they are a little more expensive than waiting for auctions, they're still much cheaper for me than buying PAL games locally. Retro game prices in Sweden has gone truly insane.

...sorry that became pretty rant-y. Just had to vent a little lol.
The GSP truely marked the end of an era for us importing from the US. 2005-2010.. those were the days. Shipping were never higher than $7-13 for a CIB game.

Regarding retro game prices in Sweden.. a complete used Mr.Gimmick recently went for 20000kr ($2693). I mean come on, it's not THAT uncommon.

Mzo

I decided to stop playing that game (the SFC version). It just gets too hard for me.

I was making a video series of the game last year when my hard drive crashed. Before that happened, looking back through my 2 weeks of footage, you could see the improvement in my game to the point where I had to re-record all the early stuff because I was so embarrassed by it.

I remember originally thinking "man, getting through all these stages is impossible," but I eventually did go through every single stage, including that stupid hard three-tiny-holes-into-backpacks route that leads to the upside down level that kills you instantly.

Once you understand that it's not about the swing at all, it's all about the bounce, the game starts to click.

I need to put time into the PS version.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The GSP truely marked the end of an era for us importing from the US. 2005-2010.. those were the days. Shipping were never higher than $7-13 for a CIB game.

Regarding retro game prices in Sweden.. a complete used Mr.Gimmick recently went for 20000kr ($2693). I mean come on, it's not THAT uncommon.

Holy shit. I have had so many chances at buying this for around 1000kr during the years, always thinking its too high - now I seriously regret that :(

Mercutio

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-NINTEN...1747?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item35c0685d23

A few choice quotes on this beauty.

I have been selling rare & hard-to-find CLASSIC video games with over 25 years of experience! I am NOT just a guy who sells random video games, I am a MASTER video game player & collector. Because of my 30+ years of Nintendo playing experience, I know things that other sellers DO NOT know & you are getting the benefit of my "insider's" experience! I know which games have battery back up SAVE files & I check them to ensure that they work properly. You don't want to get STUCK with a game that has a dead battery for the save files.

(If you already have a game with a dead battery, I can tell you how to replace it...just send me a message!)

This is the Japanese version of the CHRONO TRIGGER game cartridge! The SAVE file battery works perfectly & holds SAVE data! This cartridge has a data file that has a main character level 52 with a HP of 999!

-KRS-

Wow that's... insane. :O

My friend recently told me about someone he knew that was selling a CIB Mr Gimmick on Facebook for 13000 SEK and I was like "...wat?". I had thought that it was a 5-6000 SEK game up till then because I hadn't been keeping up, but apparently it's been on the rise a lot recently. But 20000... damn. I fucking hope it was absolutely mint at least.

@Morfeo: That's why I jumped on a cart when it started to regularly go for over 1000 SEK a few years ago. Had to pay 1400 SEK for it in the end (through an auction on Tradera) which was on the higher end of what a cart went for those days, but today it's regularly around 2500+ SEK per cart from what I've seen on Tradera... so I'm really glad I got it when I did!

Edit: Here's one that ends in an hour and thirty minutes that went over 3000SEK as I was looking at the page! Madness. http://www.tradera.com/item/300818/219937077/mr-gimmick-nes-scn-mkt-bra-skick
Edit²: lol checking the bid history, apparently got2pair had a max bid of 2999 SEK on it. I hate that dirty reseller. But this means that if he was willing to bid that much for it, he has calculated that he would make a profit on it even with that high price which says a lot.
Edit³: Ended now... at 3550 SEK. So I guess even the ridiculous "2500+ SEK" like I said above isn't accurate anymore.

Once you understand that it's not about the swing at all, it's all about the bounce, the game starts to click.

And yeah, this. To get momentum you reel yourself in and then out again at the right time, sorta. It's hard to explain. I remember thinking that "man, I've been playing this game wrong all this time!" when it clicked, and the game became so much more fun to play.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow that's... insane. :O

My friend recently told me about someone he knew that was selling a CIB Mr Gimmick on Facebook for 13000 SEK and I was like "...wat?". I had thought that it was a 5-6000 SEK game up till then because I hadn't been keeping up, but apparently it's been on the rise a lot recently. But 20000... damn. I fucking hope it was absolutely mint at least.

@Morfeo: That's why I jumped on a cart when it started to regularly go for over 1000 SEK a few years ago. Had to pay 1400 SEK for it in the end (through an auction on Tradera) which was on the higher end of what a cart went for those days, but today it's regularly around 2500+ SEK per cart from what I've seen on Tradera... so I'm really glad I got it when I did!

And yeah, this. To get momentum you reel yourself in and then out again at the right time, sorta. It's hard to explain. I remember thinking that "man, I've been playing this game wrong all this time!" when it clicked, and the game became so much more fun to play.

Yeah, I should have done this as well. Now I feel I will have to settle for a repro of it :(

-KRS-

Yeah, I should have done this as well. Now I feel I will have to settle for a repro of it :(

These days I'd much rather get the Japanese version honestly. I mean I really like having the PAL version, but the Japanese version IS the superior version with 60hz gameplay and the extra sound chip. And I think it's still a lot cheaper than a PAL cart goes for these days, although it will still likely be over 1000 SEK.

Square2015

My RPG collection thus far:
GwdPwI9.jpg

http://imgur.com/W22RNpz
[/img]
W22RNpz.jpg

Forget next-gen I'm having a blast with my SNES.
I believe the SNES is still the TRUE gaming console (no non-gaming capabilities, purely hardcore) with the best SW, before things got more complex moving into the 3D era.

Square2015

I bought one from OCD Reproductions. He sells them for $90. They cost a lot because there's a lot of extra work in creating a repro SuperFX game. I haven't run through the whole game yet, but mine seemed to run just fine.
How is the quality from OCD Reproductions? I'm considering buying from them, they're prices are cheaper than other sites.

What's the case quality? I'm concerned the case or label are of lower quality...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
How is the quality from OCD Reproductions? I'm considering buying from them, they're prices are cheaper than other sites.

What's the case quality? I'm concerned the case or label are of lower quality...

I'd say the cart shells are like a 7-8 in quality overall. Minor discolorations at best. Back labels have never been torn. He has a trade in program so if you're concerned about that kind of thing you might just talk to him and see if he can guarantee that any cases you bring him will be used for your own repros. I've had no issue with the labels, they all look authentic and lined up perfectly to me. I also find that he's generally responsive, you should get your carts in about 1-2 weeks. I definitely prefer his work to GameReproductions.com, which is admittedly the only other repro dealer I've bought from.

Mzo

I think a flash cart is a much better investment than several bootleg repro carts.

Get the J originals CIB for your shelf if you need something to display, they generally look a million times better and are generally cheap. Play the translated roms on real hardware.

Peagles

I think a flash cart is a much better investment than several bootleg repro carts.

Get the J originals CIB for your shelf if you need something to display, they generally look a million times better and are generally cheap. Play the translated roms on real hardware.

This. Though I do want a Star Fox 2 repro since I can't get that any other way.

Gunsmithx

Well just yesterday finally both of my Nintendo everdrives, including the Super ED. So far it's been pretty awesome, load times could be a bit better(seems like 20 to 40 seconds) but it's not to bad and after loading up on roms I don't really miss the ones it can't play at all or I own them(or in the case of most superFX can get cheap)

Pretty happy and would very much recommend to anyone.

-KRS-

Well just yesterday finally both of my Nintendo everdrives, including the Super ED. So far it's been pretty awesome, load times could be a bit better(seems like 20 to 40 seconds) but it's not to bad and after loading up on roms I don't really miss the ones it can't play at all or I own them(or in the case of most superFX can get cheap)

Cool. It's really nice to have flashcarts for your old consoles. Load up on some romhacks and enjoy.

But 20 to 40 seconds? I dunno if that's normal. Granted I don't have any Everdrives myself. But I think it might be because of your SD card. Try a different one and see if it's better.

D.Lo

I was going to post this in the Mega Drive thread in reply to a post about Contra Hard Corps, but it ended up SNES focused so posting it here because I feel like ranting.

Everyone can have their opinions but I truly don't understand people liking Hard Corps myself.

I'm a huge Contra fan, but it's just such a massive deviation from the core Contra style and formula. Robot fart techno music instead of classic sly/arnie action movie huge orchestral Goldsmith style soundtrack, the characters, weapon selections, life bar (the original design), non-stop mini-boss set pieces instead of any actual run-n-gun gameplay etc. And I think it looks ugly too, bad palette choices. It was a massive step down from Spirits (unlike Bloodlines which wisely pitched for a step between the NES and SNES Castlevanias) and I just really dislike everything about it and was massively disappointed when I got my copy back in the day.

Oh how I wished for a genuine effort late-SNES Spirits sequel, but Konami were too busy making 12 Parodius games and Biker Mice from Mars to make that or an Axeley sequel...

There's a reason Contra 4 was called Contra 4 and went back to the Contra Spirits style - it was the best.

The PS2 games messed with the formula as well and also screwed it up.

TL:DR I loved Contra Spirits and it's a tragedy we never got a proper SNES sequel to it. Imagine the glory...

I like HC more than Alien Wars, if only because the overhead levels were such a turnoff. I wonder how the GBA release of AW plays now that I think about it. It replaced the overhead stages with HC levels.

Mzo

Not very well, I'm afraid. The whole thing feels a little crappy.

I also like HC more than Alien Wars, but only since replaying them as an adult.

Mzo

Another R-Type II GBA situation then? Reverse engineer b/c source code lost?

III, and t's not quite as bad as that. The game is zoomed in like Mega Man and Bass and has to scroll up and down, which is slightly annoying, and the retrofitted HC levels aren't adjusted well to the size of the Contra III sprites or to the screen. It's weird. I know I dug it out right after HC because I wanted more Contra and the levels didn't feel right. I have to look at it again to pinpoint exactly what was wrong.

It sounds amazing in theory but I was disappointed when I played it. You should try it out anyway.

Square2015

I'm reading through the posts here again, but I wanted to see - who do you all recommend for reproduction carts?
www.Superreproductions.com gave me a great DQIII remix.
www.RetroQuestgames.com is good for cheaper titles if you don't mind low quality labels.
I do not recommend gamereproductions.com extremely long waits, and games that don't work (I had to ship back my games twice!)
www.OCDreproductions.com - I'm curious about because of their cheaper titles.
www.lostclassicvgs.com - the site looks good, anyone have expereince with them?

IrishNinja

related: ive decided what i want to keep to remember you by when you die

Mzo

I got lucky with that one before the prices skyrocketed.

I remember seeing it CIB at People Play Games for $100 and saying LOL, fuck no, then going home and buying it for around $30 loose cart.

Fucking old games, man. It's out of control.

linkboy

Back in September I posted a picture of my copy of Mega Man X 3 with a badly damaged label.

Anyways, I finally got around to ordering some screwdrivers to open the game and I had purchased a replacement sticker off of Ebay.

Here's the final result

I took the damaged label off with some goo gone, a knife and a lot of patience.

ZealousD

Final Fight 3 is the poster child for retro game inflation, particularly on SNES. Decent game, but not worth a premium.

Honestly, Earthbound. It's honestly not even close to being a rare game, it just has insane demand or something.

Whenever anybody starts mocking the Genesis as sounding like "robot farts", I generally don't take their opinions seriously after that.

That caught my eye too. Respect for MD sound for god's sake, this isn't the 90's and we aren't on the playground comparing Snes vs. Genesis

ZealousD

That caught my eye too. Respect for MD sound for god's sake, this isn't the 90's and we aren't on the playground comparing Snes vs. Genesis

I still find it gross that there are still soldiers fighting that war. They're like the Hiroo Onodas of video games. Guys, you don't need to continue justifying to yourself that your mommy and daddy bought you the right 16-bit machine.

just because someone used a tongue and cheek jab at something you like doesn't mean you should start attacking them, lol. Talk about soldiers fighting a war...

ZealousD

just because someone used a tongue and cheek jab at something you like doesn't mean you should start attacking them, lol. Talk about soldiers fighting a war...

"Robot farts" is a common pejorative for the Genesis sound chip. It's endlessly used in Genesis vs SNES threads. Anybody who has used that term has clearly picked a side.

D.Lo

Exactly thank you. It was about one game, not the system. Jebus I even talked about another Mega Drive games by Konami being good in the same post.

Yet I get personal attacks about 'mommy and daddy' buying systems. I'm a huge Sega fan and poster in the Mega Drive thread, and come from a country where the 'battle' was much less of a issue than the U.S. anyway.

EDIT: apologies if 'robot farts' offended anyone, I just thought it particularly applied to that game, I hate the soundtrack.

dperrin

Back in September I posted a picture of my copy of Mega Man X 3 with a badly damaged label.

Anyways, I finally got around to ordering some screwdrivers to open the game and I had purchased a replacement sticker off of Ebay.

Here's the final result

I took the damaged label off with some goo gone, a knife and a lot of patience.

Try a hair dryer next time. That should heat up the glue enough to make the label much easier to remove. This trick also works for removing rental stickers. It takes a little patience to remove it with the dryer, but its much cleaner than goo gone.

dodgeme

Got some pricey games out of the way for my collection. Listed the prices a bit earlier on but finally got them all in. I did settle for the Brazilian copy of Dracula X but got a good price on it.

Teknoman

Whats the game on the bottom right?

Also anyone have any opinion on this game:

Targa

EDIT: Nevermind, its just the original version of Rendering Ranger.

dodgeme

Whats the game on the bottom right?

Also anyone have any opinion on this game:

Targa

EDIT: Nevermind, its just the original version of Rendering Ranger.

Pretty sure it's the other game based on the River City Ransom franchise, forgot the name though. It's not the one recommended in here and it's a bit more text driven but it was cheap so I said why not.

Top Bottom