• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Cool. It's really nice to have flashcarts for your old consoles. Load up on some romhacks and enjoy.

But 20 to 40 seconds? I dunno if that's normal. Granted I don't have any Everdrives myself. But I think it might be because of your SD card. Try a different one and see if it's better.

its normal... super everdrive flashes the rom prior to starting it. unlike other newer revisions that load the rom right off the sd card like the everdrive 64 for example

to get the same functionality on snes you need an sd2snes which is twice as much as a super everdrive

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Exactly thank you. It was about one game, not the system. Jebus I even talked about another Mega Drive games by Konami being good in the same post.

Yet I get personal attacks about 'mommy and daddy' buying systems. I'm a huge Sega fan and poster in the Mega Drive thread, and come from a country where the 'battle' was much less of a issue than the U.S. anyway.

EDIT: apologies if 'robot farts' offended anyone, I just thought it particularly applied to that game, I hate the soundtrack.

Sorry, I'm probably over sensitive to this stuff. I just see the dismissive attitudes all the damn time and it gets me frustrated. Even if it doesn't apply to you specifically it's just ridiculous that people still want to wage a war over consoles that died out two decades ago. It doesn't happen with other generations like the 8-bit or 32/64-bit generations so I can only presume the reason the debate still rages on is that folks still just don't want to give up on the childish schoolyard spats.

Peltz

Sorry, I'm probably over sensitive to this stuff. I just see the dismissive attitudes all the damn time and it gets me frustrated. Even if it doesn't apply to you specifically it's just ridiculous that people still want to wage a war over consoles that died out two decades ago. It doesn't happen with other generations like the 8-bit or 32/64-bit generations so I can only presume the reason the debate still rages on is that folks still just don't want to give up on the childish schoolyard spats.

It does happen with every generation. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though.

ZealousD

It does happen with every generation. Doesn't make it any less annoying, though.

Well, it happens every generation, it just doesn't keep happening. People aren't resurrecting schoolyard fights about whether the PS1 or N64 is better.

Teknoman

Yeah it still happens when it comes to PS1/N64. Saturn just kinda does its own thing. I know there were some posts in the N64 community thread at some point. I just cant remember what about lol.

Hell it still crops up now with the current generation of stuff, and with people that arent exactly elementary/middle school age.

Timu

Don't PS1 usually always win that?

At least with SNES/GEN there's quite a bit of people who preferred the GEN so it's never one sided.

Mzo

SNES/Genesis can be argued back and forth effectively. I don't care which side you fall on as long as you're not insultingly dismissive of the Genesis like so many of the "retro" gaming personalities seem to be.

PS1/N64 is a joke, the N64 got absolutely crushed. The PS1 library is legendary.

Teknoman

SNES/Genesis can be argued back and forth effectively. I don't care which side you fall on as long as you're not insultingly dismissive of the Genesis like so many of the "retro" gaming personalities seem to be.

PS1/N64 is a joke, the N64 got absolutely crushed. The PS1 library is legendary.

As much as I like Nintendo...I do have alot more PS1 games than N64. Same then and same now...

Mzo

I'm at 45 vs. 123 right now.

Feel like I'm pretty much done with everything I want on the N64 (even stretching to some mediocre stuff) but I'm nowhere near getting every PS game I want. Shit, I still hear about new ones I never knew existed from time to time. It's great!

Huggers

I love that people still argue/debate Snes or Mega Drive. The war was real back then. Oddly I was always a Sega kid who had zero loyalties and grabbed a Snes as soon as I was able. These days I can't choose between the two. Snes games perhaps generally hold up slightly better but you can't beat that Mega Drive look and sound. Best 2 consoles ever

ZealousD

That's pretty much my feeling. I don't really care if you prefer one or the other. I just think that all three consoles had expansive libraries worth owning. The 16-bit generation was one of the greatest generations in gaming history and to limit yourself to just one of the machines that made up that gen is nonsense.

ZealousD

Unless it was the Neo Geo. Then you probably had to out of necessity, LOL.

In my head I don't even consider the Neo-Geo part of the 16-bit generation. It's just kind of its own thing, that existed all on its own. Just hangin' out. I just don't see how you put the Neo Geo next to the SNES, Genesis, or TG16/PCE and say "this thing is like that thing".

D.Lo

The Super Fami/Mega Drive/PCE gen is great because of how technically different the consoles are. Very different experiences. You can easily see how any of the three consoles could be someone's favourite. For me it's likely SNES then PCE then Mega Drive, but all three are good. The best games on each are exclusives that could simply not exist in the same way on the others.

Same with N64/PS1/Saturn. Saturn's my favourite there, but for example: Silen Hill/RE2/Banjo/Goldeneye/Vampire Saviour - each of those games could not be done on the other consoles well.

It started getting generic after that, PS2/XB/GCN are essentially capable of the exact same things.

Side note, I don't think you're a 'console warrior' because you didn't like a console or preferred another. Just because the commercial war is over doesn't mean things don't remain worthy of discussion, and liking everything equally isn't somehow a superior opinion.

I'm at 45 vs. 123 right now.

Feel like I'm pretty much done with everything I want on the N64 (even stretching to some mediocre stuff) but I'm nowhere near getting every PS game I want. Shit, I still hear about new ones I never knew existed from time to time. It's great!

There are easily over 123 N64 games well worth owning!

Of course it makes sense to have more PS1 games -- the PS1 has many times more games FOR it, after all -- but the N64 has a lot of great games too. It's the best console ever for a reason. :)

As for me, just yesterday I finally managed to figure out how to use formulas to count up how many games I have for each console in my spreadsheet of all the games I own (that I've been putting a lot of work into adding more detail to in recent months). For 5th gen systems, I'm up to 243 PS1 games, 184 N64 games, and 136 Saturn games. Still lots more to get for all three! :)

As for the Super Nintendo, up to 206 now. Genesis... Genesis alone is below the SNES, 194, but with the Sega CD (56) and 32X (20 + 3 32X CD) it's above it -- 268, the most games I have for any console (PC is of course far above that though). And to be complete, I now have 160 Turbografx games -- 77 HuCard games (more imports than US releases by a wide margin!), and 82 CDs (like five or eight US versions...).

RexRogers

Neo Member
I just noticed another game skyrocketing in price. Wild Guns was going for around $140-$150 six months ago (already sky high), but looking on Ebay and Amazon you see people regularly paying $200 and even $250(!) for this sucker. It almost makes me want to sell my copy. Almost.

Can I use SNES cords on a Super Famicom?

And if not... where would be a good place to buy them?

AV cable will work but the AC adapter is different. The SFC uses a generic one so it shouldn't be too hard to find though. It's the same as the Famicom and Mega Driver AC adapter IIRC.

Can I use SNES cords on a Super Famicom?

And if not... where would be a good place to buy them?
SFC uses the same Nintendo multi AV as SNES, N64, and GameCube.

For power supply, I bought this one for my SFC, works great http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Fa...r-Supply-Cable-US-Plug-HVC-002-/231414096061?

SFC was intended to use the Famicom power supply, it didn't originally come with a power adapter (for Japanese sales tax reasons).

Otherwise, SFC can use the Genesis model 1 adapter if you have one.

RexRogers

Neo Member
If anyone is on the hunt for a 1CHIP SNES console then check out the item below on ebay. It's serial number places it well within the range for 1CHIP-01 revision motherboards.

No, I'm not the seller or have anything to do with it. :). I just know that these are popular due to their picture quality and I already have one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201240065241?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

EDIT: Looks like it's gone. I hope someone on here got it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I just noticed another game skyrocketing in price. Wild Guns was going for around $140-$150 six months ago (already sky high), but looking on Ebay and Amazon you see people regularly paying $200 and even $250(!) for this sucker. It almost makes me want to sell my copy. Almost.

So glad I just got this one :)

Anyways, does anybody know of a good site with some super famicom recommendations? I think i need to go into that soon, Im craving more Snes-godness!

Teknoman

Your new avatar is confusing me! Those games looks amazing yeah, need to check them out.

Edit: What about the three first games? Looks cool from the pics as well.

I'm really into Dragon Age Inquisition right now, so just temp switching my avatar heh.

I havent played much of 2, but I really like the first stage music...3 actually looks pretty cool, but havent been able to get my hands on it yet. 5 is kinda rareish, and it doesnt help that its like a Japanese Hero X Wild Guns kinda thing.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm really into Dragon Age Inquisition right now, so just temp switching my avatar heh.

I havent played much of 2, but I really like the first stage music...3 actually looks pretty cool, but havent been able to get my hands on it yet. 5 is kinda rareish, and it doesnt help that its like a Japanese Hero X Wild Guns kinda thing.

Nice! Just bougth 4 and 5, think I was kinda lucky that won the fifth for about 25$ which compared to the other prices, seems low. Looking forward to play them - and thank you for the recommendation.

PS: DA: Inquisition does indeed look cool :) But nothing can bet your awesome Teknoman-avatar!

Bar81

Maybe cart only but complete and mint it's been very high for quite some time.

Kadmac25

It is crazy to me that ebay sellers sell their games with torn sticker labels and the cart in an absolute mess with permanent marker and sticky crud at the same price as a pristine copy of the game.

If it is discounted, its only a couple of bucks. I would think with all the cart issues it would be sold at a much lower cost.

ZealousD

It is crazy to me that ebay sellers sell their games with torn sticker labels and the cart in an absolute mess with permanent marker and sticky crud at the same price as a pristine copy of the game.

If it is discounted, its only a couple of bucks. I would think with all the cart issues it would be sold at a much lower cost.

Carts are easy enough to clean. Magic erasers and goo gone do wonders. And you can buy replacement labels or make your own. $5-$10 is best you can expect really.

Mark5130

Best left to the B/S/T thread, I think. Better not to clutter up the retro collecting threads with sales talk.

Yeah, I was worried about that as well. I currently have a few games listed in the b/s/t thread and I assumed that people here would be more interested, hence maybe a bit more traction, but I'll leave it be.

-KRS-

Carts are easy enough to clean. Magic erasers and goo gone do wonders. And you can buy replacement labels or make your own. $5-$10 is best you can expect really.

Reproduction labels shouldn't be considered original and should therefore bring the value down in my opinion, even if they do look the same. You wouldn't value a reproduction box as high as an original box, even though it is of the same quality as an original, right? So a damaged label should definitely bring down the price more than $5. Especially if most of it is damaged. If it's just minor damage then fair enough.

You're right about carts being easy to clean in general though. I won't hesitate to buy a cart with writing or dirt on it. Usually it's easy to get of, although magic erasers has the potential to change the texture of the plastic if you're not very careful so it's not my first choice of weapon. A yellowed cart has to be really cheap for me to buy it though.

Mark5130

Kadmac25

Exactly! I understand the piece about the stickers and marker. Yes, it can be removed with the right solution. The label would require a reprint or reproduction which should devalue the cart as others have mentioned.

If it is sold $5 or $10 dollars cheaper than the version with a nice label, why not just pay the extra cost to not have to deal with the hassle and worry about the devalue with a fake label.

Even if I make the labels myself, you are looking at 5 dollars for the material anyway. With all this in mind, I think it should be sold at a much lower cost. I wish the market saw it that way.

Square2015

My collection so far:

NlBheHJ.jpg

New editions that recently came in:
Bahamut lagoon
Ys V
Lennus 2
Shin megami tensei II

Thanks to www.ocdreproductions.com for the last four, they came in EXCELLENT condition! You'd think they were new American releases.

Reviews of titles that underwhelmed and overwhelmed to come later...

My collection so far:

http://i.imgur.com/NlBheHJ.jpg[img]
New editions that recently came in:
Bahamut lagoon
Ys V
Lennus 2
Shin megami tensei II

Thanks to ocdreproductions.com for the last four, they came in EXCELLENT condition! You'd think they were new American releases.

Reviews of titles that underwhelmed and overwhelmed to come later...[/QUOTE]

I really want to get some repo carts of games that didn't come out in NA but I can never decide on which place to get them from.

hunchback

I was hoping to get a little help. I'm really wanting to get either a NES or SNES but can't decide which is the smarter route? Both systems have game's that bring back fond memories that I want to share with people. Which system is easier to find all the equipment for? Thanks for any info.

I was hoping to get a little help. I'm really wanting to get either a NES or SNES but can't decide which is the smarter route? Both systems have game's that bring back fond memories that I want to share with people. Which system is easier to find all the equipment for? Thanks for any info.

I love SNES, but I would recommend NES first if you have to choose. Much cheaper and easier to find the good games, as well as just more games overall.

I love SNES, but I would recommend NES first if you have to choose. Much cheaper and easier to find the good games, as well as just more games overall.

Cheaper, unless you are going the RGB route. But then again I guess the games for SNES are super unaffordable at this point though.

Bar81

I was under the impression that due to age, finding good condition NES is a challenge. Is that not the case?

Rydeen

I was under the impression that due to age, finding good condition NES is a challenge. Is that not the case?
The NES is built like a tank, only thing that might have a problem is the 72 pin connector in the system being bent out of shape. A new pin connector and boom, good as new. Original production systems might have a failing lock-out chip as well, and that's an easy fix if looked up online. Since there are no moving parts on any systems prior to disk based hardware, failure rate should be relatively low. Atari systems manufactured in the late 70's are more reliable than an Xbox 360 or PS3, just saying.

Top Bottom