• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Bar81

The NES is built like a tank, only thing that might have a problem is the 72 pin connector in the system being bent out of shape. A new pin connector and boom, good as new. Original production systems might have a failing lock-out chip as well, and that's an easy fix if looked up online. Since there are no moving parts on any systems prior to disk based hardware, failure rate should be relatively low. Atari systems manufactured in the late 70's are more reliable than an Xbox 360 or PS3, just saying.

Sorry, it was an incomplete sentence, I was asking about the games.

-KRS-

Sorry, it was an incomplete sentence, I was asking about the games.

If you mean CIB games, maybe but not really any more difficult than finding VG condition SNES games. Same for cart only.

Both of these systems are very old now and finding good condition cardboard boxes and manuals that are 20+ years old will be a challenge no matter which system.

For a better chance of finding good condition CIB games, look for Japanese games. Much cheaper as well.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Just scored these from my brother. He bought them 10 years ago from some dude. Guy wasn't an RPG fan, but at least it isn't a bunch of sports games.

nCpTg8K.jpg

4ezEyry.jpg

Kadmac25

Just bought a copy of Yoshi's Island off ebay where the seller indicated it wasn't working. I thought I might be able to get it working by giving it a thorough cleaning but I haven't had such luck yet.

I cleaned the pins with isopropyl alcohol, brasso, and even the eraser method. When I opened the game cartridge, it looks like someone spilled pop inside. I went through with the alcohol on the game board to remove what I could. I still can't get it working. Any ideas? Some of the connectors on the board look like it might have slight rust.

I know the issue isn't my SNES because it plays other games fine. I also tried it on a second working SNES and its the same issue. I highlighted some areas to indicate what might be a block in the circuitry.

board2.png

board1.png

Yagami_Sama

Some of my cartridges are getting "stained", some is more yellow that is looking like a bootleg.
I looked for a few tips in how to clean, but I was not sure which method to adopt.
Could you guys, used to clean the cartridges, could share some tips ?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm at home visiting my parents for Christmas and to also grab all of my old gaming stuff. Here's my SNES stuff:

DdBNHf4l.jpg

ag8hSMEl.jpg

7FKCoHEl.jpg

CC4UGWCl.jpg

jTbaGzrl.jpg

kETsbesl.jpg

Rydeen

The mini is supposed to have the best image quality of all SNES models if you RGB mod it.
But you have to mod it for RGB and S-video, neither of which the mini natively supports. The regular SNES supports both S-video and RGB right out of the box.

Get a regular SNES.

Yasawas

Got boxed good condition Akumajou Dracula and Final Fight Guy today for £60, not awful. And it was from Oxfam so I get to feel good about myself, pretty cool that someone donated them to charity in the first place.

Here's your "import adapter": grab a pair of pliers, carefully break off the pieces of plastic preventing Japanese/PAL-styled cartridges from fitting into an NTSC-U SNES. Tada.

Timu

Here's your "import adapter": grab a pair of pliers, carefully break off the pieces of plastic preventing Japanese/PAL-styled cartridges from fitting into an NTSC-U SNES. Tada.
That's what I did and I play many Super Famicom games on my SNES. I just did the Rushing Beat series and uploaded vids on youtube recently.

-KRS-

That's what I did and I play many Super Famicom games on my SNES. I just did the Rushing Beat series and uploaded vids on youtube recently.

You can not do this with PAL games! They actually have different lockout chips compared to NTSC games. You need an adapter to play them on NTSC consoles.

One adapter that is good is the Universal Adapter AD-29 Upgrade Version. Or at least that's good for playing NTSC games on a PAL console. Not sure if there is a corresponding one for NTSC consoles. In general it seems like PAL -> NTSC adapters are a bit more uncommon than the other way around.

The other thing you can do is to region mod the SNES but that requires soldering. And running the games in 50hz on an NTSC console will output an NTSC signal at 50hz, which is not a standard signal and no TV really supports that resulting in a black and white picture. So you'd need a TV/monitor with RGB inputs to get color. In most cases you can run PAL games in 60hz fine though, but some games can have issues with timing-based stuff. I think Terranigma is one of those games. Not sure if it's game breaking or not. This last thing would be true with an adapter as well though, since the games will run in 60hz NTSC using an adapter.

Edit: I guess if you broke off the plastic tabs in the SNES, you could use an adapter meant for PAL/JP consoles just fine by putting an NTSC game in the back rather than a PAL game.

-KRS-

And there we go, special region lockout chip. No dice.

I think it is actually possible with some adapters. The AD-29 adapter I mentioned has the extra pins for special chips. And I had tried to run Earthbound on several adapters on my PAL SNES without luck, just saying the game was not meant for my SNES. But when I got my hands on the AD-29 it finally worked.

Mzo

I steer clear of all PAL games that aren't on portables before like, the PS3.

I think there are some SMS exceptions.

TheMoon

I think it is actually possible with some adapters. The AD-29 adapter I mentioned has the extra pins for special chips. And I had tried to run Earthbound on several adapters on my PAL SNES without luck, just saying the game was not meant for my SNES. But when I got my hands on the AD-29 it finally worked.

Earthbound doesn't have anything fancy. It ran without issues on my Fire Adapter. Super Mario RPG is the US game that will laugh at your import adapter and walk away.

I like how you can actually play Rushing Beat 2 on the American Brawl Brothers cart using a code. Such a cool feature.

I hate the maze stuff they added for the American release.

What's your channel? I'd like to see the other games in the series and how they compare.

Cheerilee

And there we go, special region lockout chip. No dice.

Afaik, you need a modded NTSC SNES to play it because Terranigma requires being booted in 50Hz.

Yep, my brother did this a number of years ago. Terranigma will only launch in a 50Hz SNES, so what you have to do is open up the system and perform a 50Hz mod, and then wire a switch into the mod, drill a hole in the system's case, and mount a switch somewhere on your SNES so that you can switch it from 60Hz to 50Hz, and vice-versa. You pretty much risk destroying your SNES to wire up an ugly switch that enables one game.

If you turn the game on with your SNES in 60Hz mode, you get a lockout screen, so you turn off your system, switch it to 50Hz, turn it back on, can't see shit because your CRT doesn't like 50Hz, wait a few seconds for the game to pass it's security check, then flip the switch back to 60Hz (while the power is still on), and now you can play the game.

Or you can just buy an Everdrive. Use a patch to remove the region lock. It will also help you play fan-translations on real hardware, assuming you like SNES RPGs.

-KRS-

Earthbound doesn't have anything fancy. It ran without issues on my Fire Adapter. Super Mario RPG is the US game that will laugh at your import adapter and walk away.

I don't think any NTSC game using the SA-1 enhancement chip works on PAL systems without a SuperCIC mod.

Timu

I like how you can actually play Rushing Beat 2 on the American Brawl Brothers cart using a code. Such a cool feature.

I hate the maze stuff they added for the American release.

What's your channel? I'd like to see the other games in the series and how they compare.
mitu123Copper(my bro made my account) Yeah you can check out the vids to see the differences as there are a lot of them.

I busted out the old soldering iron and replaced the power jack on my NA SNES. The old one had a busted center pin.

While I was at it, and the console was already disassembled, I removed the region tabs so now it plays SFC titles. So basically I just made my Super Famicom console real redundant, lol.

Anyway I love this hands-on shit and don't do it nearly enough.

Yep, my brother did this a number of years ago. Terranigma will only launch in a 50Hz SNES, so what you have to do is open up the system and perform a 50Hz mod, and then wire a switch into the mod, drill a hole in the system's case, and mount a switch somewhere on your SNES so that you can switch it from 60Hz to 50Hz, and vice-versa. You pretty much risk destroying your SNES to wire up an ugly switch that enables one game.

If you turn the game on with your SNES in 60Hz mode, you get a lockout screen, so you turn off your system, switch it to 50Hz, turn it back on, can't see shit because your CRT doesn't like 50Hz, wait a few seconds for the game to pass it's security check, then flip the switch back to 60Hz (while the power is still on), and now you can play the game.

Or you can just buy an Everdrive. Use a patch to remove the region lock. It will also help you play fan-translations on real hardware, assuming you like SNES RPGs.

It is a good game to risk destroying your system for though.

Didn't even know about a fan translation patch. Does it lower the text size as well since I remember that being really big in the game?

dubc35

Greetings SNES-GAF! Recently received some of my old gaming stuff from my parents basement. The NES Advantage joystick broke, can probably epoxy it, and the game gear screen cracked in transit. :( Having said that I have not had any desire to play Columns, Joe Montana Football or George Foreman's Boxing, lol.

My SNES is piss yellow, but whatever. The SNES haul is pretty low but I have some games/accessories on the way.

On order/in transit SNES:
S-video cable (I was actually surprised how good it looked via composite video on my HD TV)
NHL '94
NBA Live '96
Tecmo Super Basketball
Super Metroid

soon to buy:
Super Castlevania IV
Zelda
Contra 3
possibly SFC mod

non-SNES:
New 72 pin for NES (was getting red blinking light) and new AV cable
RC Pro Am for NES
Need to figure out Genesis AV hookup. My TV does not agree with the RF adapter.

I put all this stuff in boxes 15 years ago. Strange going through it again.

I've had great experience with ocdreproductions.com and superreproductions.com. stay away from gamereproductions.com.

ocdreproductions seems good and I've seen recommended a bunch but I just can't make up my mind with all the different choices. What was bad about that last one you listed?

Square2015

ocdreproductions seems good and I've seen recommended a bunch but I just can't make up my mind with all the different choices. What was bad about that last one you listed?

It took two-three months for the games to arrive, three of them didn't work (5 for 4 deal), returned them on my dime, waited another month, got them back and two of them worked and one of them had a dead battery, so had to return that one again. customer service is bad too and he doesn't seem to care about you or your games. one of the games wont snap closed so its loose, this is the one returned twice, however to his credit it does work now and saves.
I've heard stories of someone waiting three years to get their game just to finally hear essentially "oops that should been out a long time go" he still hasn't received his game.

the other dealers are leap and bounds better than gr.com.

Teknoman

So besides Bahamut Lagoon, Super Robot Wars, Ogre Battle, FEDA, and Fire Emblem, what other SRPGs are there for SNES/SFC?

And on that note, how are the SFC Fire Emblem fan translations?

And on that note, how are the SFC Fire Emblem fan translations?
The ones catalogued by GoodGen produced nothing but gobbledygook in lieu of text on Higan, which makes me wonder if they were only tested against ZSNES or something.

I haven't tried fan translations outside of that set, however. It's not entirely impossible that somebody made a fan translation that actually works on hardware. I'd certainly like to give the SNES entries a bit of a look-see, even though I expect the permadeath is gonna turn me off. (Why yes, I didn't get into the series until Awakening, how did you guess)

After about 6 months, I've resumed my SNES collecting recently. In the last month I've picked up:

Mr. Do
Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage
Robocop Vs The Terminator
Imperium
Magic Sword
Prince of Persia 2
The Pagemaster
Cliffhanger

That puts me up to 270 titles. Still a long ways to go...

Top Bottom