• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Anybody else have this? I got it on ebay this summer.

Found a couple pages with a Sega version like this clone http://segaretro.org/Super_Pro-2

Seen a lot of bad 3rd party controllers but this one looked different so I bought it.
It's like they infused the modern form factor on the classic SNES layout.
That was the only problem with the classic controller. Being mostly flat without handles it's not real comfortable when you have a lot of games to catch up on because you never had a SNES in the 90s.

So anyone else have this or seen them around?

Mercutio

Got a like new SNES 1chip 02 for Christmas and I'm pretty happy about it. I'm not a big fan of the mini redesign and happy to replace mine with what I remember from my childhood. It does indeed have the vertical line, but I think I'll just live with that... I'm pretty tired of modifying systems.

Bonuses on the system include the fact that it was made in Japan, and has "Eject" molded on the button. Haven't seen a lot of 1chip systems with those features.

Anth0ny

jzQtdQmMytsw5.JPG

My girlfriend went crazy this Christmas. Got my my most wanted game across all platforms, FFIII! :)

Feels SO GOOD to cross that one off the wishlist. FFIII goes for $60+ on ebay in Canada, and $80+ in stores. I now own FFII and FFIII for SNES. Haven't played either of them. Loved Final Fantasy I.

Dis gon be gud.

Next on the list? Super Mario RPG! To ebay we go.

Mark5130

I've been really focusing on, "quality over quantity" lately, and I have been putting all of my efforts into hunting down and collecting a few of the more elusive SNES games that I've always wanted in my collection. All of these are complete with the exception of FFGuy, which needs a manual.

IMG_0129_zps0f663bbe.jpg

My original SNES from '92 failed on me, but I lucked into getting a perfect condition used SNES console-only on ebay for $50. I was hesitant about it, but then found a Savers store here selling 3 SNES games for $5, so I grabbed them. Got Double Dragon V, which I have no use for at all, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Mario World. Shockingly, SMW is still selling for $20+ - so the system could basically pay for itself by allowing me to test and sell the games.

jzQtdQmMytsw5.JPG

My girlfriend went crazy this Christmas. Got my my most wanted game across all platforms, FFIII! :)

Feels SO GOOD to cross that one off the wishlist. FFIII goes for $60+ on ebay in Canada, and $80+ in stores. I now own FFII and FFIII for SNES. Haven't played either of them. Loved Final Fantasy I.

Dis gon be gud.

Next on the list? Super Mario RPG! To ebay we go.
I still think Final Fantasy III is a good game - regardless of what Beef says.

I recently dug out my snes and unfortunately it seems like there's something wrong with it. Some of the games I try have this strange problem with the colors. Like there's heavy redding going on. Certain green colors are messed up too.
This happens with some of my games but others are fine. I thought it might be dirty contacts so I cleaned both the carts and the connector on the snes but no dice. I also tried different tvs, av cables, and power supplies but still no change.
I even tried that little screw on the snes motherboard to try and adjust color but it wouldnt fix it. I attached some pics to show what's wrong.

What's even weirder is that games that "darken" like when you finish a level in smw a circle closes in on mario the colors actually look correct for a sec. Or in secret of mana, opening up the menu darkens the screen a little and the colors are correct.

From my snes (cell phone pic)

From an emulator
I3alJcC.png

I tried googling around for people with a similar problem but haven't really found any. Was just wondering if any of you have seen or heard about this before and if there's anything else I can do. This was my original snes Ive had for years and it's sad to see it dying like this.

Khaz

I tried googling around for people with a similar problem but haven't really found any. Was just wondering if any of you have seen or heard about this before and if there's anything else I can do. This was my original snes Ive had for years and it's sad to see it dying like this.

It could be your display or your console. Do they work with other devices?

entremet

I've been really focusing on, "quality over quantity" lately, and I have been putting all of my efforts into hunting down and collecting a few of the more elusive SNES games that I've always wanted in my collection. All of these are complete with the exception of FFGuy, which needs a manual.

IMG_0129_zps0f663bbe.jpg

Did it get an manual? Wasn't it Blockbuster exclusive?

brainpann

I recently dug out my snes and unfortunately it seems like there's something wrong with it. Some of the games I try have this strange problem with the colors. Like there's heavy redding going on. Certain green colors are messed up too.
This happens with some of my games but others are fine. I thought it might be dirty contacts so I cleaned both the carts and the connector on the snes but no dice. I also tried different tvs, av cables, and power supplies but still no change.
I even tried that little screw on the snes motherboard to try and adjust color but it wouldnt fix it. I attached some pics to show what's wrong.

What's even weirder is that games that "darken" like when you finish a level in smw a circle closes in on mario the colors actually look correct for a sec. Or in secret of mana, opening up the menu darkens the screen a little and the colors are correct.

From my snes (cell phone pic)

From an emulator
I3alJcC.png

Yeah, check another display and or cable. If its still happening, my next best guess would be faulty caps. Check for any that look corroded or like they leaked.

Mark5130

Did it get an manual? Wasn't it Blockbuster exclusive?

It was a Blockbuster exclusive with a manual, and it's hard to find a copy with the box and one that doesn't reek like cigarette smoke, which is why I jumped at the chance to own this particular copy. It fit both of those criteria, but didn't have the manual. I will have to piecemeal it out separately.

Kwixotik

I'm on FFXIV right now and someone in my FC is saying they're going through their grandpa's old junk and he has all kinds of SNES and NES shit CIB including systems and all kinds of games. Apparently he was a hoarder and gamer so he had to keep all of his boxes and stuff. She's like "is any of this worth anything?"

I'm so jealous lol

I'm on FFXIV right now and someone in my FC is saying they're going through their grandpa's old junk and he has all kinds of SNES and NES shit CIB including systems and all kinds of games. Apparently he was a hoarder and gamer so he had to keep all of his boxes and stuff. She's like "is any of this worth anything?"

I'm so jealous lol

If the dude's grandpa's as old as my grandparents, they're lucky in more than one way. It'd be awesome having a grandparent share a hobby like that.

Khaz

I'm so jealous lol

"No it isn't, give me a tenner and I'll get rid of it for you."

So my 11-year-old nephew is starting to get into retro games. He's found a great SNES at a yard sale for $15 and I'm looking to get him some games. He only has F-Zero, Mario All-Stars, SMW and a couple of baseball games. If anyone has some more common or less desirable games, or maybe some that aren't in perfect condition and you're looking to unload them as a lot - and contribute to a kid's good taste and general direction in life - PM me.

Gorgeous. Nice work!

Since it's 22 years in the making, I've decided I'm finally going to finish off Legend of the Mystical Ninja. Made it to level 8 tonight with my wife, and damn is that game hard (or at least harder than you would think it would be). Thank god for unlimited continues/passwords

linkboy

"No it isn't, give me a tenner and I'll get rid of it for you."

That's kinda what I did to get my sealed Starfox. Lady brought it to our Play N Trade, they were only going to give her $1 store credit (.50 cents) cash.

I offered her $2 when she refused that, she sold it to me just to get it off of her hands.

Kinda pissed the store manager off though.

Tried everything I could but it still has the color problem. I looked at the mobo and couldn't tell if any of the caps were bad but I'm not an expert. I gonna have to get another one I guess. Gonna try ebay then. Also RIP my snes and thanks for giving me 20+ years of fun :)

Khaz

Tried everything I could but it still has the color problem. I looked at the mobo and couldn't tell if any of the caps were bad but I'm not an expert. I gonna have to get another one I guess. Gonna try ebay then. Also RIP my snes and thanks for giving me 20+ years of fun :)

Have you tried it on another display?

alf717

Picking up a Retron 5 and psyched to play non-VC SNES games. Any tips on where I can pick up carts on the cheap? Thanks!

Probably best to check flea markets, pawn shops and eBay. Also users in the buy, sell and trade have some very fair prices.

Probably best to check flea markets, pawn shops and eBay. Also users in the buy, sell and trade have some very fair prices.
I've found flea markets and pawn shops to be totally useless for finding cheap SNES games these days. Mostly because there are a lot of other people trying to find cheap SNES games from these places in any decent sized city, and increasingly scumbag resellers buying them solely to resell on eBay.

You might still be able to find some shovelware but its really not worth your time.

I just gave up and focused on buying JPN games either in Japan or off eBay when reasonable.

I've found flea markets and pawn shops to be totally useless for finding cheap SNES games these days. Mostly because there are a lot of other people trying to find cheap SNES games from these places in any decent sized city, and increasingly scumbag resellers buying them solely to resell on eBay.

You might still be able to find some shovelware but its really not worth your time.

I just gave up and focused on buying JPN games either in Japan or off eBay when reasonable.

Collecting NTSC-J games is the way to go if you're on a budget. Especially for older stuff that isn't text heavy. Amazing how much cheaper the games are.

maxcriden

Ebay, Craigslist, Facebook groups, Amazon, Thrift Stores are your basic options for all game collecting.

Collecting NTSC-J games is the way to go if you're on a budget. Especially for older stuff that isn't text heavy. Amazing how much cheaper the games are.

Thanks all! That's really helpful. Also, I definitely wouldn't have realized NTSC-J games are cheap.

alf717

I agree but you have to be witty sometimes as well. I have a local flea market that opens up at around 6AM during the warmer months and trust me I know my rivals. I try to get there really early before they do. If you like mingling you could get to know a few people that will hook you up. Always ask if they have more for sale and if they would be willing to sell it. Sometimes people only bring so much but they could be sitting on a stash of old games they want to part with. The days of finding cheap gems are long gone so expecting to pay cheap prices for the more stellar titles is just unreasonable thinking. People have Google now but I work with anyone that is reasonable but of course stay away from the scalpers.

Thanks all! That's really helpful. Also, I definitely wouldn't have realized NTSC-J games are cheap.

I should also add auctions as well. Check your area for local auction houses. I use auctionzip.com. This past summer I pickup up a model 1 genesis with the good audio chips, a few Playstations and a gray NES Zapper.

Just saw this video on improving vertical banding on older SNES models. I don't know if it'll help folks here but I thought I might share it anyway if they're concerned with the few inaccuracies an RGB modded SNES minis might have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jc_jSILuy4

Interesting. Can still notice it a little bit on his post mod comparison but it is defiantly lessened. I remember seeing another fix a while back that I haven't checked back into as well. Think it was the person who run the retrorgb site who tried bypassing the built in RGB amp and it removed the line on the systems he did it on, but he didn't test it on that many to see if it worked on all of them.

This is something that I am very interested in, but have a few other things on my plate first.

maxcriden

I should also add auctions as well. Check your area for local auction houses. I use auctionzip.com. This past summer I pickup up a model 1 genesis with the good audio chips, a few Playstations and a gray NES Zapper.

Oh, neat. Thanks alf! Looks like Vermont is sans auction houses, but I will keep an eye out when we move (hopefully soon!).

Mark5130

I find decent PS1, PS2 and Xbox games at my local Goodwill and thrift stores all the time, and I've even found Sega CD and Genesis games, too, but I've never found NES or SNES games. I check the Goodwill near my work at least three times a week, too. Turns out that Goodwill now has its own eBay style site where they pull the good stuff and auction it off.

Josh5890

The internet (ebay mostly) has turned our fun hobby of treasure hunting for retro games into a struggle with those trying to profit from it.

Bar81

I find decent PS1, PS2 and Xbox games at my local Goodwill and thrift stores all the time, and I've even found Sega CD and Genesis games, too, but I've never found NES or SNES games. I check the Goodwill near my work at least three times a week, too. Turns out that Goodwill now has its own eBay style site where they pull the good stuff and auction it off.

Yup, welcome to 'merican capitalism.

Mercutio

Isn't Goodwill Industries a non-profit organization?

I think they make as much money as they possibly can, and then use it for socially beneficial things. But I could be wrong. They just don't pocket the cash and smoke cigars in massive walnut walled boardrooms.

A package was waiting on my desk when I got back from my holiday break.

6ad518e1-14c8-4832-8f1a-e054578a7683_zps0884dbe2.jpg

Thanks Japan.

KlotePino

Trying to get my hands on Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures, really having a tough time finding a CIB copy although thankfully they still go for decent prices. Anyone played it? I'd love to get some thoughts on it to see whether or not it's worth it. If somebody has it lying around I'd be interested too, although the EU version that I'm looking for is pretty rare.

dubc35

Goodwill is non-profit but they, as all non-profits, need to generate revenue to pay for expenses (utilities, wages, insurance, etc).

Back OT, got Super Metroid last week! I've only had time to play a bit of it. I never played it back in the day so I am excited to get into it.

Mercutio

Goodwill is non-profit but they, as all non-profits, need to generate revenue to pay for expenses (utilities, wages, insurance, etc).

Back OT, got Super Metroid last week! I've only had time to play a bit of it. I never played it back in the day so I am excited to get into it.

I passed up a Super Metroid cart a few weeks ago at a flea market. Damn thing was like $25, I should have gotten it then and there. I haven't played that game on original hardware in centuries.

Top Bottom