• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I passed up a Super Metroid cart a few weeks ago at a flea market. Damn thing was like $25, I should have gotten it then and there. I haven't played that game on original hardware in centuries.

Maybe I'm just a cheapass but I ain't tryna spend $25 on a single game at a fuckin Flea Market of all places. I'm used to $3-$5 max but I guess even those days are over.

dubc35

I passed up a Super Metroid cart a few weeks ago at a flea market. Damn thing was like $25, I should have gotten it then and there. I haven't played that game on original hardware in centuries.

Wow, you should have! They go for around double that (cart only) on ebay. :(

Mercutio

Maybe I'm just a cheapass but I ain't tryna spend $25 on a single game at a fuckin Flea Market of all places. I'm used to $3-$5 max but I guess even those days are over.

Yeah, the era of cheap finds is mostly over, especially in NYC. I'm just happy to have a cool retro-game seller at the fleamarket on weekends.

Timu

jKjLYEBl5Q1NF.jpg

Costs me 70 bucks...now to play the hell out of it for TMNT upload gaming week.

Mzo

I'm the same way. I didn't wake up at 6 fucking AM or earlier to be walking around the filthy-ass flea market to pay eBay prices. I could be doing that in my robe sipping some tea at home, assholes.

I'm cheap about games in general because I've always been and I will always be. It helps to justify the few times you have to spend large, too.

I'm the same way. I didn't wake up at 6 fucking AM or earlier to be walking around the filthy-ass flea market to pay eBay prices. I could be doing that in my robe sipping some tea at home, assholes.

I'm cheap about games in general because I've always been and I will always be. It helps to justify the few times you have to spend large, too.

I agree with you and Sixteen-bit. I have been somewhat lucky in the times I've hit a flea market, but that pool is pretty well tainted by this point. I wish there was a way to kill the market, but that's just not gonna happen.

Petrae

Yeah, the era of cheap finds is mostly over, especially in NYC. I'm just happy to have a cool retro-game seller at the fleamarket on weekends.

It's pretty rough up here in Western MA/CT, too. Sellers have become more knowledgeable about what they have & what the market is willing to pay. I've got a good relationship with a local game shop, so I get a bit of a break on pricing at times, but other places are selling stuff at higher rates-- even sports games, thought to be near-worthless for a long time.

It's disappointing, but I've amassed enough of a retro library that I could stop at any time and have thousands of hours of gaming to last for the rest of my life.

D.Lo

Yeah cheap times are over.

Who would have thought stocking up on $2 games in 2004ish would have had better returns than most stocks.

I'm almost 100% Japanese now, sold off my PAL stuff for a fortune ($600 for Vampire's Kiss, $500 for mint Super Metroid) and living the NTSC-J high life.

Who would have thought stocking up on $2 games in 2004ish would have had better returns than most stocks.

I'm almost 100% Japanese now, sold off my PAL stuff for a fortune ($600 for Vampire's Kiss, $500 for mint Super Metroid) and living the NTSC-J high life.

I've found myself going that direction as well. I still have most of my US games, but my FC and SFC games are starting to eclipse the US versions.

I've been thinking of doing this on basically every console I own since it really is so much cheaper, but my Japanese is nonexistent and I enjoy playing text-heavy RPGs too much.

Also region lock is the death of me.

Olly88

Anyone got any tips for me (or know where I can get some) for playing Secret of Mana? I really enjoy exploring the world and taking everything in (and the music is amazing), but I'm so not an RPG person so I have no idea really what to do when it comes to stuff like battles, the magic stuff etc...

I can kill the random enemies without much trouble, but when it comes to bosses that's where the problems begin. Last time I played I got up to the tiger boss in the castle I got killed in no time. Is the problem that my characters simply aren't strong enough and I need to grind a bit to get them up, or is there some other stuff I need to know? Do I need to figure out this magic stuff?

Edit: I forgot to say, I'd rather not rely on game guides, as I'd probably end up doing that for every part I get stuck on, and I'd rather try learning the best way to play so I can figure stuff out on my own.

Anyone got any tips for me (or know where I can get some) for playing Secret of Mana? I really enjoy exploring the world and taking everything in (and the music is amazing), but I'm so not an RPG person so I have no idea really what to do when it comes to stuff like battles, the magic stuff etc...

I can kill the random enemies without much trouble, but when it comes to bosses that's where the problems begin. Last time I played I got up to the tiger boss in the castle I got killed in no time. Is the problem that my characters simply aren't strong enough and I need to grind a bit to get them up, or is there some other stuff I need to know? Do I need to figure out this magic stuff?

Edit: I forgot to say, I'd rather not rely on game guides, as I'd probably end up doing that for every part I get stuck on, and I'd rather try learning the best way to play so I can figure stuff out on my own.
As for the boss you've mentioned, distance (broader term) and healing are the key words you are looking for. Also, don't forget that you can switch your lead character.

Olly88

As for the boss you've mentioned, distance (broader term) and healing are the key words you are looking for. Also, don't forget that you can switch your lead character.

Yeah, I usually end up not using them much though as they're quite a bit less powerful than my main character. I should probably try and fix that before I try next time.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind :) I'll try to get round to playing it a bit later and have another go.

Teknoman

I agree with you and Sixteen-bit. I have been somewhat lucky in the times I've hit a flea market, but that pool is pretty well tainted by this point. I wish there was a way to kill the market, but that's just not gonna happen.

Keep the dream alive. People still luck up on things from time to time. Its starting to sway in the other direction, but in a world where you can wander into a Half Price Books, and still pay like 30 bucks for Mega Man Legends 2 complete by some miracle, anything can happen.

Of course thats probably not the normal price, but still.

This beautiful book arrived today. It's in excellent condition aswell, near mint I would say!

VgVCPqn.jpg

QpPf6Ng.jpg

nTiYZnt.jpg

Yeah even though I know the game in and out (for the most part) I jumped on a guide not too long ago at a book store. Not in mint condition, but still i've never seen the guide in real life.

TheMoon

Solution to most bosses: Use Earth Slide. They all (edit: most of them, I guess) have a key weakness.

Here's a list of the bosses and their weaknesses. I suggest you bookmark that one. http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/som/bossesf.shtml

entremet

I've been looking for another CRT. Hard to find ones with S-Video these days :(

I'm not quite ready for RGB, but I would at least love S-Video for the SNES. Funny thing is that the CRTs I do find do have component connections.

Rich!

I'm not quite ready for RGB, but I would at least love S-Video for the SNES. Funny thing is that the CRTs I do find do have component connections.

If you live in the UK, just look on gumtree. I got my 28" 4:3 sony CRT with RGB for free.

are there any gaffers who do mods to super famicom systems? i want my cartridge slot modded to take snes carts, but want it to look nice. a while back someone posted theirs that they had done by a guy in england, but i emailed him twice and never heard back from him.

D.Lo

With a $50 converter box you can change the RGB to component with virtually no loss and have the best possible signal.

Exuro

Found at my local thriftstore for $9.

Already had SMW but this one is in better shape and apparently it's a different print as the top of the label is off center while the other one is centered. Also already have MK1 but on the genesis.

Time to play red on the "big" screen!

Blues1990

Found at my local thriftstore for $9.

Already had SMW but this one is in better shape and apparently it's a different print as the top of the label is off center while the other one is centered. Also already have MK1 but on the genesis.

Time to play red on the "big" screen!

Man, as a kid, I remember using the Super Gameboy to play Pokemon Gold, Metal Walker, & Metroid II on the big screen

-KRS-

Anyone played Syonen Ashibe? It looks pretty fun and I'm wondering if it's worth the $10 or so. Thanks!

SyoHaunted.gif

You must really like cute games huh? First Yume Penguin and now this. Well, so do I haha! :D

I've never heard of this though, but it does indeed look fun and cute. So thanks for mentioning it. I'm always on the lookout for interesting lesser-known Japanese games.
Not sure I'd pay $10 + shipping for a cart of this though. It seems to be a bit on the simple side. $5 though, sure. Looking on ebay it doesn't seem to come up that often, but a CIB copy seems to go for around $20. So I'd just wait for an auction of a cart to pop up.

maxcriden

Was wondering if anyone has a spare SNES or Super Famicom controller they might be will to sell or trade me. Please PM me if so. Thanks!

--

You must really like cute games huh? First Yume Penguin and now this. Well, so do I haha! :D

I've never heard of this though, but it does indeed look fun and cute. So thanks for mentioning it. I'm always on the lookout for interesting lesser-known Japanese games.
Not sure I'd pay $10 + shipping for a cart of this though. It seems to be a bit on the simple side. $5 though, sure. Looking on ebay it doesn't seem to come up that often, but a CIB copy seems to go for around $20. So I'd just wait for an auction of a cart to pop up.

Haha, I sure do. I got a Retron 5 so I'm psyched to check out cute games like this that never made it to VC. It looks like it's $10 shipped on eBay, maybe $11, for cart only from Japan in the Buy it Now section. I'd like to pay just a bit less, though it looks charming.

BTW, this is a thread I'm using to discover some offbeat games like this:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forum...9-Steve-s-Obscure-Super-Famicom-Games-Thread/

Might be some stuff of interest to you in there! :)

I started collecting for the NES 5 to 6 years ago and have noticed how much the price of some games have shot up. In many cases it's not that the games are particularly rare, they're just desirable games like the Megaman and Castlevania series.

My collection has grown now to many different platforms and I've decided to pick up more games on more recent platforms like the DS and PS2 while they are still relatively cheap rather than have to track them down later and pay a lot more.

Phatcorns

Man, looking through this thread, my collection is probably worth over $1000. All just from stuff I saved as a kid. God I'm so appreciative of my kid self.

Huggers

Just finished Super Star Wars. A game that I always thought impossible as a kid. Turns out. Not so much. Very frustrating but very beatable. Terrible difficulty spikes in a couple of parts

Man, looking through this thread, my collection is probably worth over $1000. All just from stuff I saved as a kid. God I'm so appreciative of my kid self.

Super Mario World - $10
Madden '94 - $2
Battletoads/Double Dragon - $30
Super Mario All-Stars - $15
Donkey Kong Country - $15
NBA Live '95 - $2
FIFA Soccer - $2
Out to Lunch - $10
Madden '96 - $2
Donkey Kong Country 3 - $25
Super Mario RPG - $35 (damaged label)
Super Mario RPG - $30 (very damaged label
Zelda Link to the Past - $30
Secret of Mana - $45
Super Punch Out - $30
Wolfenstein 3D - $25 (damaged label)
Illusion of Gaia - $20
Mega Man X - $30
Earthworm Jim - $20
Earthworm Jim 2 - $15
Super Metroid - $40
Ys III - $20
Mechwarrior - $5
NBA Jam TE - $5
Street Fighter 2 Turbo - $10
Super Mario Kart - $25
Final Fantasy III - $40
The 7th Saga - $20

Looks like I'd estimate my childhood collection to about $560. Would be more if my dad hadn't thrown away all my boxes and I hadn't given away my manuals (idiot!)

...and if only that video store had agreed to sell me Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3, and Mega Man 7 instead of just Secret of Mana and Super Metroid. So close.

Had a pretty good find yesterday locally. Local shop has a stack of common SNES games for roughly $6 each, which contained a mint copy of Stone Protectors. Was surprised to find out that is a $20-30 title nowadays

RexRogers

Neo Member
Interesting. Can still notice it a little bit on his post mod comparison but it is defiantly lessened. I remember seeing another fix a while back that I haven't checked back into as well. Think it was the person who run the retrorgb site who tried bypassing the built in RGB amp and it removed the line on the systems he did it on, but he didn't test it on that many to see if it worked on all of them.

This is something that I am very interested in, but have a few other things on my plate first.

I have a 1CHIP-01 and a 1CHIP-02 and I cannot see a vertical bar on either when connecting to my HDTV with s-video. I also have an original SHVC model where the line is clear as day unless I have the video settings on the tv just right. I need to do some more testing via composite just for S's and G's.

nimbusstev

Neo Member
are there any gaffers who do mods to super famicom systems? i want my cartridge slot modded to take snes carts, but want it to look nice. a while back someone posted theirs that they had done by a guy in england, but i emailed him twice and never heard back from him.
The last time I was at the Warp Zone in Columbus, Ohio, the guy there told me that they mod your consoles for free in the store. I'm not sure if SFC -> SNES is something they know how to do (or if they would even provide services to someone out of town), but it doesn't hurt to ask them.

As for me, the biggest pipe dream for my collection would be a copy of Famicom Tantei Club Part 2 for Super Famicom. It's one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I'd love to own a physical copy. I've seen the Famicom Disk version and the GBA version for fairly cheap, but I've never laid eyes on the SFC port. Pretty sure it exists, since it's listed on Wikipedia and that's what the translation patch seems to based on... but I can't even imagine how expensive it would be if I can't even find a copy on eBay.

As for me, the biggest pipe dream for my collection would be a copy of Famicom Tantei Club Part 2 for Super Famicom. It's one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I'd love to own a physical copy. I've seen the Famicom Disk version and the GBA version for fairly cheap, but I've never laid eyes on the SFC port. Pretty sure it exists, since it's listed on Wikipedia and that's what the translation patch seems to based on... but I can't even imagine how expensive it would be if I can't even find a copy on eBay.

I just looked that up. You haven't seen it because the game wasn't released on cart, not exactly. Famicom Detective Club Part 2's SNES port was only released on the Nintendo Power service. It was a service for the SNES and Game Boy only that let people buy games from store kiosks and write them onto rewriteable game cartridges. Only Japan ever saw the service.

So, you'd need a Nintendo Power rewriteable cartidge with a copy of the game on it in order to have a "real" copy of the game. Good luck with that. Some NP-service games later got standard retail boxed cart releases, but that doesn't look like it was one of them.

Also, the games' sequel, the third Famicom Tantei Club game, was SNES Satellaview-exclusive and did use the system's live voice streaming feature, so it's entirely unplayable now without hacking and even then would surely not be as good without the voice acting, since all that's on the system of course is just the ROM, not the streamed voice. I would guess that Nintendo probably has recordings of all the Satellaview voice broadcasts somewhere, but they sure haven't ever released them, or any of the games they came from; no Satellaview game has yet appeared on Virtual Console for any platform. Of course, given that it's only this year that they FINALLY got around to getting light-gun games working in VC, that should be far from surprising. Seriously, the Satellaview Zelda and Fire Emblem games, with the voicework, would be really cool even in Japanese...

nimbusstev

Neo Member
I just looked that up. You haven't seen it because the game wasn't released on cart, not exactly. Famicom Detective Club Part 2's SNES port was only released on the Nintendo Power service. It was a service for the SNES and Game Boy only that let people buy games from store kiosks and write them onto rewriteable game cartridges. Only Japan ever saw the service.

So, you'd need a Nintendo Power rewriteable cartidge with a copy of the game on it in order to have a "real" copy of the game. Good luck with that. Some NP-service games later got standard retail boxed cart releases, but that doesn't look like it was one of them.

Also, the games' sequel, the third Famicom Tantei Club game, was SNES Satellaview-exclusive and did use the system's live voice streaming feature, so it's entirely unplayable now without hacking and even then would surely not be as good without the voice acting, since all that's on the system of course is just the ROM, not the streamed voice. I would guess that Nintendo probably has recordings of all the Satellaview voice broadcasts somewhere, but they sure haven't ever released them, or any of the games they came from; no Satellaview game has yet appeared on Virtual Console for any platform. Of course, given that it's only this year that they FINALLY got around to getting light-gun games working in VC, that should be far from surprising. Seriously, the Satellaview Zelda and Fire Emblem games, with the voicework, would be really cool even in Japanese...

Ahhh okay, well then that explains a lot! In my search, I did see a memory cartridge listed as FTC2 for $350, but I thought it was some sort of overpriced reproduction. I knew the other games in the series were tied to Satellaview, and were thus unplayable, but I didn't realize that Part 2 was also exclusive to a similar download service.

But man, it's so weird to think that a game could be exclusively released as a live broadcast like that. It was a moment in time that so few people got to witness, and we can never again play through that same experience. I am absurdly interested in the whole idea of Satellaview. I mean, the Nintendo of the past decade is always portrayed as this crazy old grandparent who doesn't understand online, but back in the early 90s when even dialup internet was uncommon, they were pioneering a service that let everyone across the country experience a story that was unfolding in real time. Imagine how cool a revival of something like that would be with today's modern internet! I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Anyways, thanks for digging up this info. It was a very interesting piece of history (even if it did kinda crush my dreams of ever owning that cartridge...)

Ahhh okay, well then that explains a lot! In my search, I did see a memory cartridge listed as FTC2 for $350, but I thought it was some sort of overpriced reproduction. I knew the other games in the series were tied to Satellaview, and were thus unplayable, but I didn't realize that Part 2 was also exclusive to a similar download service.
It's similar, but very different -- the NP service is just standard SNES games that were only released via the service, not something with additional functionality as the Satellaview has. But yeah, the Nintendo Power service is something I find really interesting. It's too bad, I think, that Nintendo never brought it out in the West. I know it'd cost much more to do here than in Japan, because you'd need so many more stores to have the things since America's population is much more spread out than Japan's, but there has to have been a way to make it work! I think we'd have gotten a bunch of interesting things had it existed, just like how now a lot of more niche console stuff only releases as a digital download with no physical release. The Nintendo Power service was the SNES and Game Boy equivalent of that, just with rewriteable flash carts that you'd have to go to a store to get the game written on, instead of internet downloads.

The NP service kept the SNES going for some time after it otherwise would have faded more, too -- many of the SNES's games from '96 to '00 were either Satellaview or Nintendo Power titles, the number of physical releases declined each year. For example, all SNES releases in 2000 are actually NP titles. One did get a retail release, but I think it was just a NP cartridge with a special box...

Wikipedia has a few pictures of an NP cart and writer unit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power_(cartridge)

But man, it's so weird to think that a game could be exclusively released as a live broadcast like that. It was a moment in time that so few people got to witness, and we can never again play through that same experience.
I know, isn't it awful? This is why I hope that Nintendo secretly has full recordings of the things, or at least the original scripts... with that you could re-create it.

I am absurdly interested in the whole idea of Satellaview. I mean, the Nintendo of the past decade is always portrayed as this crazy old grandparent who doesn't understand online, but back in the early 90s when even dialup internet was uncommon, they were pioneering a service that let everyone across the country experience a story that was unfolding in real time. Imagine how cool a revival of something like that would be with today's modern internet! I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.
Yeah. Nintendo had an online service in Japan for the NES, SNES Satellaview, and N64 Disk Drive, but none of them did great; the Satellaview did the best of the three, but the other two were failures and Nintendo seems to have given up on online right around the time that it actually started to gain popularity on consoles, oddly enough. I mean, Nintendo did release a modem for the Gamecube, but did nothing themselves with it... where was something like the Satellaview, or like the online Mario Artist creations-trading on the 64DD? We wouldn't see that stuff from Nintendo again until the DS, and they went from pushing boundaries of what you can do with online and downloadable console games to being many years behind the competition. I can understand why it happened -- one reason would be Nintendo's concerns about children and online gaming, for sure -- but still, it definitely seems like Nintendo threw away chances to be thought of better in downloadable and online gaming.

Of course, actually releasing some of their online services outside of Japan would have helped too, but they didn't do that until the DS. (Remember that the only GC games with online play that got US releases were Sega's two Phantasy Star Online titles; the only other use of the thing in US releases was for LAN play in Mario Kart, Kirby's Air Ride, and such)

Anyways, thanks for digging up this info. It was a very interesting piece of history (even if it did kinda crush my dreams of ever owning that cartridge...)
I'm sure some NP carts with the game on it exist, but it'd just be a standard NP cart with that game happening to be on it, there is no box or manual or label just for the game or something. Sorry. Of course, that people d id keep the games on carts is why we can play them today -- all of the NP and Satellaview games available as roms today exist because of people who kept those games on their rewriteable Satellaview or Nintendo Power cartridges (yes, the two are different.).

Why aren't "60hz" and "50hz" used as modern slang? As in "Dude that's pretty 50hz :/" (Dude that's pretty bad :/) or "Dude that's pretty 60hz!!! :D" (Dude that's pretty awesome!!! :D)

This is the most 60hz thing i've done with my day:

b1ctkZi.jpg

I've recently got a bunch of 60hz systems to replace my 50hz ones. Life is finally 60hz for me.

jKjLYEBl5Q1NF.jpg

Costs me 70 bucks...now to play the hell out of it for TMNT upload gaming week.

I remember i bought that for $1 + tax at a thrift store......then sold it for $50 that same day
i should have kept it.

yeah everything is going up, its crazy , i should have kept lots more of my games

So I've made some rounds in my city (Midwest USA) and noticed that the selection of 8 and 16 bit carts in most of the retro stores and flea markets is VERY weak. It's dropped off dramatically in the last year or so. I would think it's the high prices of SNES games but even NES and Genesis games are thin.

But there's one flea market that, for whatever reason, has a pretty good selection. There's a boxed copy of Lufia, several other RPGs and some good action games, too. But I noticed one or two carts with suspect labels. One of them was a Chono Trigger with a label that has a black background with several vertical images of the characters. I couldn't find it on a Google image search, but it's similar to this kind of style. Gotta be a fake, right?

HaL64

So I've made some rounds in my city (Midwest USA) and noticed that the selection of 8 and 16 bit carts in most of the retro stores and flea markets is VERY weak. It's dropped off dramatically in the last year or so. I would think it's the high prices of SNES games but even NES and Genesis games are thin.

But there's one flea market that, for whatever reason, has a pretty good selection. There's a boxed copy of Lufia, several other RPGs and some good action games, too. But I noticed one or two carts with suspect labels. One of them was a Chono Trigger with a label that has a black background with several vertical images of the characters. I couldn't find it on a Google image search, but it's similar to this kind of style. Gotta be a fake, right?

I think alot of this is about timing.
Many stores around me get in great games all the time. But they go quickly because of facebook. People watch the store's facebook page and then when stuff gets posted it doesn't last long.

That Chrono Trigger sounds like the Crimson Echoes remake reproduction cart. You should have gotten it if cheap. :)

Chrono%2BTrigger%2B-%2B%2BCrimson%2BEchoes.png

I think alot of this is about timing.
Many stores around me get in great games all the time. But they go quickly because of facebook. People watch the store's facebook page and then when stuff gets posted it doesn't last long.

That Chrono Trigger sounds like the Crimson Echoes remake reproduction cart. You should have gotten it if cheap. :)

That was definitely the one. Huh. Never heard of it. Just checked out the wiki entry. It seems like much more than a repro. I can't recall the exact price but it was firmly in CT territory, like $60 to $80. Surely that's too much for a ROM hack???

Top Bottom