• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

meanspartan

Get there at 5:30 then? You have equal ability to get to the deal first. If it was bought by another stall holder legitimately before you were allowed in, well that's just right place right time for that guy, not any kind of trend.

EDIT: yes actual scalpers of limited quantity things (e.g. Amiibos) are bitches. And if people are truly manipulating markets shill bidding etc well yeah. But I think most are just capitalising on a combination of a hot commodity and an impatient, disorganised buying market. I have bought things for non-bargain prices sometimes when I could not be bothered stalking auctions that end at 2am, I work full time and my time is worth more than the $40 I'd save ;)

It opens at 7am. I am not allowed in.

"Right time for that guy, not any kind of trend"?

Are you serious? This is a trend for flea markets. Since resellers have become big (they didn't used to have this much presence when prices were lower) I can almost never find a good deal at the swap meet anymore. They grab all the deals before I am allowed in.

Mzo

It's definitely a trend in flea markets across the US. I've seen it from Chicago to Miami.

Resellers that have stores walk around before the general public has access to the stalls and buy up anything that might be a deal of any kind, then resell it at eBay prices by relocating it a few feet. Scummy as hell, I don't care how anyone wants to justify it in their heads so they can sleep at night.

They do this at trade shows like the Portland Retro Game Con as well! Real American heroes.

meanspartan

It's definitely a trend in flea markets across the US. I've seen it from Chicago to Miami.

Resellers that have stores walk around before the general public has access to the stalls and buy up anything that might be a deal of any kind, then resell it at eBay prices by relocating it a few feet. Scummy as hell, I don't care how anyone wants to justify it in their heads so they can sleep at night.

They do this at trade shows like the Portland Retro Game Con as well! Real American heroes.

Yep.

And these people don't give two shits about gaming, most probably havent played a game in their life. They are just leeching off of it with providing this "Service" and raising all our prices while killing the fun of flea markets.

I do still occasionally find a deal at a flea market, but I have to get really lucky. Usually some games buried in a box with other junk on occasion.

Mzo

Yeah, thankfully they don't really care and are only aware of trends and popular games. You can still find obscure stuff that they pass up fairly regularly, but it sucks.

I'm starting to despair that these vultures aren't moving on to something else any time soon =/ Aren't we due for a new Cabbage Patch Doll or Beanie Baby craze?

Yeah, thankfully they don't really care and are only aware of trends and popular games. You can still find obscure stuff that they pass up fairly regularly, but it sucks.

I'm starting to despair that these vultures aren't moving on to something else any time soon =/ Aren't we due for a new Cabbage Patch Doll or Beanie Baby craze?

I'm kind of surprised these people haven't moved to movies/music. Seems like those should be big right now, but I honestly don't know much about those markets.

maybe amiibos? lol

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Bought Chrono Trigger for $83 a few days ago. I was afraid the prices would keep going up. It will be fun to play it on the original hardware again.

Not a game but as I just took a picture this, here ya go:

liNW0t4l.jpg

Don't forget inflation!

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is one SNES game that I think has never actually suffered collector inflation. I think it was $85 MSRP and may have dipped to $50 on the late 90s, but the usual $90-100 price for it (cart only) is just about where inflation would peg it.

Mzo

Yeah, Chrono Trigger is one SNES game that I think has never actually suffered collector inflation. I think it was $85 MSRP and may have dipped to $50 on the late 90s, but the usual $90-100 price for it (cart only) is just about where inflation would peg it.

You can't compare a new, sealed price to used, cart only.

Well, you could. It'd just be pointless.

Oh Yeah, Look what just came in today.

10940434_330572087137399_295951891772891007_n.jpg

It's so nice now that I don't have to deal with the inferior GBA port anymore.
10393156_330571167137491_2882661843149713486_n.jpg

It looks good on my CRT setup even with composite. I can't wait to see how much better S-Video is going to look once it arrives.

Mzo

It's way, way better on the SNES. Only putting up the GBA version on the eShop is a goddamned crime. Pay whatever you have to pay, Nintendo. Shut up and do it.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Yoshi's Island was fun the first time I played it, but I find myself losing interest in it on more recent playthroughs. It's a great game, no doubt, but not as replayable as SMW imo.

Yoshi's Island was fun the first time I played it, but I find myself losing interest in it on more recent playthroughs. It's a great game, no doubt, but not as replayable as SMW imo.

Yeah, I agree. I don't think I even 100%ed the game because I found it a bit repetitive for whatever reason.

I got SMW last week.

Beat it in like 2 hours, it's not nearly as good or replayable as YI or SMB3.

I'm lucky so far since both carts are keeping my saves for now.

tesqui

Never played a Star Fox game, so I decided to pick up the first one! I've been playing it a couple times a day, and I have to say I didn't expect it to be this challenging. I'm still stuck on level 1! As of right now the furthest I've gotten is stage 6 of the first level. I've gotten close to beating the boss of stage 6, so I'll probably progress to stage 7 (or level2?) by tomorrow.

But, yeah I'm really digging it. Once you look past the 15 fps (that's what it feels like anyways) and extremely early 3D graphics, it's actually quite fun! Also the soundtrack is amazing!

TheMoon

Never played a Star Fox game, so I decided to pick up the first one! I've been playing it a couple times a day, and I have to say I didn't expect it to be this challenging. I'm still stuck on level 1! As of right now the furthest I've gotten is stage 6 of the first level. I've gotten close to beating the boss of stage 6, so I'll probably progress to stage 7 (or level2?) by tomorrow.

But, yeah I'm really digging it. Once you look past the 15 fps (that's what it feels like anyways) and extremely early 3D graphics, it's actually quite fun! Also the soundtrack is amazing!

Stages/Levels? I haven't played the SNES game in a while but what I remember is just three routes with 6-7 levels each. The levels didn't have stages. Do you refer to the three split routes as levels and the actual levels as stages maybe?

tesqui

Stages/Levels? I haven't played the SNES game in a while but what I remember is just three routes with 6-7 levels each. The levels didn't have stages. Do you refer to the three split routes as levels and the actual levels as stages maybe?

There's a level select screen where you can pick from levels 1-3. I guess they are just different routes, but yeah they do refer to them as levels in the bottom right corner.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Yeah, Star Fox is pretty great despite the lousy framerate. I especially like the music. Gives the game a special atmosphere.

Teknoman

Gonna disagree on Brain Lord... while it has some cool puzzles and its a challenging game with large dungeons... the actual game suffers from some extremely crippling slowdown that makes it such a chore to play. I really wanted to like it... but compared to the other great ARPGs on the system, it's not that great. But at least it's cheap.

Dat soundtrack tho.

Seriously, as long as an action rpg is somewhat challenging with a good /unique soundtrack, i'll play it. Not to mention the whole ancient world high technology angle.

I'm probably gonna end up getting Lagoon at some point :p

My S-Video cables just came and the picture clarity is so much better.

There's no more signal noise so I can appreciate the scan-lines on Yoshi's Island and Turtles in Time so much more now.

I'm also going to try it out on my old GameCube and Wind Waker while I'm at it.

I'm actually most of the way through Brain Lord right now. I've more or less enjoyed it but... I'm not going to be sad when it ends. Sometimes it's just a little too obtuse as to what you're supposed to do, and the platforming sections are just blah

Teknoman

I'm actually most of the way through Brain Lord right now. I've more or less enjoyed it but... I'm not going to be sad when it ends. Sometimes it's just a little too obtuse as to what you're supposed to do, and the platforming sections are just blah

One dungeon I could do without is the one you needed the special goggles for. Playing Breath of Fire and Actraiser now.

Can't find an answer on Google and my model 2 isn't in front of me at the moment.

Does the model 2 US SNES have the same tabs that prevent Super Famicom games from being played? I'm going to remove the tabs on one of them and order some Super Famicom games.

Rydeen

To everyone bemoaning the state of Super Nintendo collecting: I picked up Peace Keepers for $5 yesterday. And not from some hole in the wall flea market or pawn shop, but a legitimate video game store. Deals CAN be had, you just have to be persistent and know what you're looking for.

Peagles

To everyone bemoaning the state of Super Nintendo collecting: I picked up Peace Keepers for $5 yesterday. And not from some hole in the wall flea market or pawn shop, but a legitimate video game store. Deals CAN be had, you just have to be persistent and know what you're looking for.

Country? I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy a plane ticket to find anything close to that kind of deal.

Edit: Actually I did buy a plane ticket to travel halfway down the country to the only shop that sells retro games that exists here. They had less than 30 games all up at a guess, as they mostly sell merchandise. I bought 3 SNES games for $50ish.

bronk

Banned
Just picked up Side Pocket. Game is really fun. Been playing alot of 9ball and messing around with the jukebox. I swear some tunes on there sound exactly like some Persona4 music. Those trick shot mini games are borderline impossible.

Rydeen

Country? I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy a plane ticket to find anything close to that kind of deal.

Someone fucked up. It's rare but it happens.

It's hardly the norm.

Good ol' US of A, in Seattle. And this is a well-known local chain that is known fairly well nationally for its coverage in gaming related media. It is the kind of place to have ridic. eBay prices on some of its items: They have Megaman X2 and X3, plus EVO in its glass case for over $100 each. My point is you can still find a store like this slippin' and get some good deals if you're looking for something more off the beaten path and not just Nintendo first party releases.

Yeah, I've gotten great deals past every reseller in this state that I've visited. They have too much stock to consistently keep up with, and there's always the chance that a uncommon game lands in the common stacks.

ie the Stone Protectors I got for $6 last week

In fact the biggest one is pretty clueless. They mistook Skyblazer for Soul Blazer, and Kirby's Dream Course for Kirby's Dreamland 3, and priced both at $60. But then let me get MMPR The Movie for $8 after ebay'ing the price

dodgeme

There's also deals on ebay from time to time. Just gotta get lucky and have good timing.

Yes if you keep an eye on lots now and then you can find a gem in some poorly imaged auctions. Got a copy of DragonballZ budokai tenkaichi 3 for my ps2 that way. God the whole lot for 60 and sold everything else for $50.

Top Bottom