• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

RexRogers

Neo Member
I just bought Rockman X2 from a Japanese seller on ebay. Not bad at $19.98 shipped, especially if you compare to Megaman X2 prices. Yikes. I'm currently anxiously awaiting delivery.

On a side note, about a year back I got an awesome deal for Megaman X3 from Craigslist for $75, but ended up selling it. The game itself just didn't seem fun enough to compensate for the return I could get for it.

Holy crap, this thread. I'm glad I did all my retro SNES collecting in 2004-2008. There were a lot more games in thrifts back then compared to now. All died up, it seems.

Lettuce

Whats UK collectors views on the Car Boot sales, do they have a selection of retro games that are a fair price or have then the car booters even bloated the prices of retro stuff now?

Huggers

Whats UK collectors views on the Car Boot sales, do they have a selection of retro games that are a fair price or have then the car booters even bloated the prices of retro stuff now?

I've never had any joy at a Car Boot with Snes stuff. The last thing I saw that was worthwhile was a Dreamcast with a few games. He still wanted 50 quid though

Rich!

Its hit or miss.

I did get a pink game boy micro for £3 once though.

Lettuce

I've never had any joy at a Car Boot with Snes stuff. The last thing I saw that was worthwhile was a Dreamcast with a few games. He still wanted 50 quid though

Its hit or miss.

I did get a pink game boy micro for £3 once though.

Charity shops around my town are also a waste of time, think only 1 or 2 out of about 8 that have had games in and then its only a handful of PS2 or XBOX game nothing older than that so i can forget about snes, nes, master system, megadrive or ps1 games

Just picked up the DKC trilogy for $15 on eBay. Opted for the Super Famicom versions as they were far cheaper for the whole set and they don't really require a lot of reading.

Just picked up the DKC trilogy for $15 on eBay. Opted for the Super Famicom versions as they were far cheaper for the whole set and they don't really require a lot of reading.

The JP ones were made easier with more K barrels, and I think the first game even has a few levels with simplified layouts. Not a big deal if this is your first time playing, but just be aware the JP games won't line up 1:1 with your childhood memories if you did play them long ago.

The JP ones were made easier with more K barrels, and I think the first game even has a few levels with simplified layouts. Not a big deal if this is your first time playing, but just be aware the JP games won't line up 1:1 with your childhood memories if you did play them long ago.

Not my first time playing, I still have DKC 2 US but sold the other 2 about a year ago. Interesting, were 2 and 3 different per region or just 1?

Khaz

Charity shops around my town are also a waste of time, think only 1 or 2 out of about 8 that have had games in and then its only a handful of PS2 or XBOX game nothing older than that so i can forget about snes, nes, master system, megadrive or ps1 games

And when they do, it's the sports games nobody want.

HaL64

Holy crap, this thread. I'm glad I did all my retro SNES collecting in 2004-2008. There were a lot more games in thrifts back then compared to now. All died up, it seems.

I asked an employee at our local goodwill if they still do silent auctions on the weekends. And they said they just ship everything that has a value over $15 to shopgoodwill.com. However, some items do slip through the cracks sometimes. A few weeks ago a local collector found a Rule of Rose for $5.
So yeah, it sucks lately.

Around two or so years ago, I managed to luck out and score EarthBound for 50 cents from a Goodwill.

That was definitely an anomaly though, and I haven't even managed to find SNES games at any Goodwill in my area since. Some mom & pop stores around here have something interesting every now and then, but otherwise it's pretty dry in NYC, unless you go to J & L or VGNY. (And be prepared to pay eBay prices or worse when shopping at those two places.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

For sure. I did all my collecting from 02-08 and I can't believe how much some of the stuff I own goes for now.
It annoys me because I was collecting during that time, and I still found SNES games to be hard won. It was never easy.

I guess it would have been more pleasant if I were a more active eBay shopper...

It annoys me because I was collecting during that time, and I still found SNES games to be hard won. It was never easy.

I guess it would have been more pleasant if I were a more active eBay shopper...

Ebay? No, for me mostly it was driving around to different game stores, when EB/Gamestop was doing their clearance on old games I really went nuts. I had the discount cards for both places, and took advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free sales etc. I managed to pick up Hagane about 3 times for myself and friends, Snow Bros. twice. Wild Guns, Ninja Warriors and found Mario RPG for $4 etc.

BocoDragon

Ebay? No, for me mostly it was driving around to different game stores, when EB/Gamestop was doing their clearance on old games I really went nuts. I had the discount cards for both places, and took advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free sales etc. I managed to pick up Hagane about 3 times for myself and friends, Snow Bros. twice. Wild Guns, Ninja Warriors and found Mario RPG for $4 etc.
It must have been different in Canada? I assume you are in the U.S.?

I remember searching in 2004 and the SNES stuff was already long gone from public view. EB would have an old cart or two occasionally but nothing you'd scream about even today. I think it may have actually been harder back then than it is now, because at least retro game stores have risen up since then. I distinctly remember hunting around back then and just having no luck at all.

We never had Funcoland in Canada, so that might be why GameStop had a whole bunch of used games down there, since they inherited that.

It must have been different in Canada? I assume you are in the U.S.?

I remember searching in 2004 and the SNES stuff was already long gone from public view. EB would have an old cart or two occasionally but nothing you'd scream about even today. I think it may have actually been harder back then than it is now, because at least retro game stores have risen up since then. I distinctly remember hunting around back then and just having no luck at all.

We never had Funcoland in Canada, so that might be why GameStop had a whole bunch of used games down there, since they inherited that.

Ah I see, yes I'm here in the US... Dang, I can't believe they cleared out on it that fast up there. :( We have some retro game stores here now, but honestly I've hit the wall on US games that I really want and switched focus to FC/SFC/PC Engine/MD..

Lettuce

For sure. I did all my collecting from 02-08 and I can't believe how much some of the stuff I own goes for now.

Indeed one of the biggest hauls i got was a bulk auction of SNES games from the US back in 2004-2005 must of been for approx 35-40 games (all boxed bar a few) and had such gems as, Sunset Riders, Wildguns, Final Fight trilogy, Super Turrican 1 & 2, Demon Crest, Ninja Gaiden trilogy, Hagane, Knights of the Round, Captain Commando, Space Megaforce etc. I won the auction for approx £220-260 delivered to the UK if i remember rightly....that was a GOOD day!!!

Lettuce

2015's first retro purchase....

VPpDnGM.jpg

I just spat water all over my monitor, thanks.

Is it some elaborate limited edition?

Apparently "budget" (not elaborate limited editions) is -- and I quote -- "not typically what [they] do".

Some dude posted on their FB announcement saying that the price was prohibitive and the mark up of like 400% was ridiculous.
...and then RCG responds and says it took more than he said to make them. So either RCG has made a gilded Star Fox 2 cart, or they are awful business people.

lmao

but then again these are the same cats tryna peddle an S-video modded SNES Jr. for $600

dude. it's special. Don't you get it?

In seriousness, their shit sells for some reason, so I guess they're doing something right. Their prices are higher than basically anyone else around, though. Fools better hope they don't say something that pisses people off, cause I have to think they're surviving purely off of a very small very lazy and very wealthy bunch. Alienate a few whales and they're in trouble.
Lol...

Has anyone bought a normal Star Fox 2 repro and can recommend anywhere? It's the only repro I'm interested in getting as I'd quite like to play through it on my SNES.

I see OCD Reproductions sells it for $90, are they any good? If not, anywhere else?

Well it's just a repro, really. Can't imagine there's a massive difference in quality. Really I'd just go with the best known site for a "reasonable" price (~100$).

Peagles

Lol...

Has anyone bought a normal Star Fox 2 repro and can recommend anywhere? It's the only repro I'm interested in getting as I'd quite like to play through it on my SNES.

I see OCD Reproductions sells it for $90, are they any good? If not, anywhere else?

Square2015

Lol...

I found OCD to be great, I just bought my second batch of 4 for $160 from them; their games have been working just fine for me and no issues with dead batteries :)

Peagles

dude. it's special. Don't you get it?

In seriousness, their shit sells for some reason, so I guess they're doing something right. Their prices are higher than basically anyone else around, though. Fools better hope they don't say something that pisses people off, cause I have to think they're surviving purely off of a very small very lazy and very wealthy bunch. Alienate a few whales and they're in trouble.

Well it's just a repro, really. Can't imagine there's a massive difference in quality. Really I'd just go with the best known site for a "reasonable" price (~100$).

I found OCD to be great, I just bought my second batch of 4 for $160 from them; their games have been working just fine for me and no issues with dead batteries :)

I guess I'm more concerned about Star Fox 2 because from what I know of the technicalities, it runs differently based on the donor cart, ROM used, etc. If OCD know what they're doing I guess it shouldn't be a problem though.

Mzo

Yeah I think you have to kill a Starfox, Stunt Race FX or Vortex. I didn't know performance would differ based on the donor, sounds like a pain in the ass!

There seem to be two other FX racing games with the word Dirt in them. I never knew.

Just did the mod to my SNES so I can play Super Famicom games. I think it's going to rejuvenate my interest in SNES collecting again, and allow me to get some of the games that are far cheaper in Japan than they are here. Started off by ordering the DKC trilogy for 15 bucks.

Ugh... I have so much on my want list for SNES...

But my big 3 right now are Super Castlevania IV, James Bond Jr., and Illusion of Gaia.

Not expensive or rare games, but having such trouble either getting them for a good price or finding someone willing to trade.

nsignific

Banned

tesqui

Just bought Japanese version of Yoshi's Island off ebay (cheaper)

I'm half-way through completing it for the first time, and I have this constant thought in the back of my head that the Battery is going to die on me...

Anyways this game is fantastic and I'm happy I'm finally getting to play it. What really stands out to me is that every single boss battle is new and refreshing in a way no other game has been. I find myself getting legitimately excited every time I enter a new castle.

Just bought Japanese version of Yoshi's Island off ebay (cheaper).

I almost bought Yoshi's Island earlier this week. I sold my US copy over a year ago when I was about to buy my house and needed to offload some stuff and get some cash. I'd love to pick it up again, and the Japanese is definitely cheaper.

BocoDragon

I almost bought Yoshi's Island earlier this week. I sold my US copy over a year ago when I was about to buy my house and needed to offload some stuff and get some cash. I'd love to pick it up again, and the Japanese is definitely cheaper.

When I was in Japan last year I saw them in every used shop for like 500-1000 yen ($5-10 bucks)

I'm half-way through completing it for the first time, and I have this constant thought in the back of my head that the Battery is going to die on me...

That's silly. Most batteries are fine.

Everyone skittish about cart batteries is a Pokemon Gold/Silver fan, no doubt. That's the only one that died easily because of its 24h internal clock.

Peagles

Damnit, I'm getting to that house buying time of life and thinking of selling off some gaming stuff I have spares of or don't care for. Any advice?

Damnit, I'm getting to that house buying time of life and thinking of selling off some gaming stuff I have spares of or don't care for. Any advice?

Two pieces of advice actually.

1. Don't do it.

2. If you absolutely have to, make sure it's only doubles or games that you won't have much hassle getting back. If you're just looking to play the games this can be made easier by getting downloadable versions of certain games or Japanese if it saves a bunch of money. I sold off Mega Man X and Super Castlevania IV knowing I could get them on Wii U eShop. Not as good as the real thing, but serviceable for now.

The problem with any time you sell stuff because you could use some money is that you will rarely get it back for a good enough price to have made selling it worthwhile. Just be weary of selling games you actually enjoy playing.

Chastten

Banned
If you're not the nostalgic type, do it. Sell what you don't need.

I sold everything pre-N64 around 5 years ago, and I never regretted it. I don't have a lot of time to game and I rarely revisit older games so I just said 'screw it' and sold it/gave it away. Felt good. Don't miss the clutter either.

Peagles

Two pieces of advice actually.

1. Don't do it.

2. If you absolutely have to, make sure it's only doubles or games that you won't have much hassle getting back. If you're just looking to play the games this can be made easier by getting downloadable versions of certain games or Japanese if it saves a bunch of money. I sold off Mega Man X and Super Castlevania IV knowing I could get them on Wii U eShop. Not as good as the real thing, but serviceable for now.

The problem with any time you sell stuff because you could use some money is that you will rarely get it back for a good enough price to have made selling it worthwhile. Just be weary of selling games you actually enjoy playing.

Yeh at this stage I'm thinking of just doubles, cart only games I don't care for, spare systems, and PAL stuff since I only want to play NTSC (I'm in a PAL country). I prefer JP stuff so I wouldn't mind getting the last few games I want as JP and getting rid of most of my PAL stuff.

Housing is really crazy here so I kinda feel like they'll be going to a good cause. My Dad is a huge collector (that's why I'm the same) and he funded their first house deposit by selling most of his bank notes and records. Now 30 years on he's reaccumulated everything and more for reasonable prices, but I don't think that will happen with videogames sadly.

I sold everything pre-N64 around 5 years ago, and I never regretted it. I don't have a lot of time to game and I rarely revisit older games so I just said 'screw it' and sold it/gave it away. Felt good. Don't miss the clutter either.

I am the nostalgic type, but after maybe 10 years of accumulating stuff I'm also starting to feel like I'd like to be free of some clutter. I have a bad habit of ordering two of most things when they come out so for the newer stuff I've got tons of spares.

Anth0ny

Just grabbed Goof Troop for $10 from the retro games dealer at my school. Not sure of the value of the game, but I've always wanted to play it. It's Shinji Mikami's first game, I believe?

This vendor at my school usually takes ebay prices and adds $10-$20 on top, so the fact that it was "only" $10 was pretty amazing, I thought.

Gunsmithx

Yeh at this stage I'm thinking of just doubles, cart only games I don't care for, spare systems, and PAL stuff since I only want to play NTSC (I'm in a PAL country). I prefer JP stuff so I wouldn't mind getting the last few games I want as JP and getting rid of most of my PAL stuff.

Housing is really crazy here so I kinda feel like they'll be going to a good cause. My Dad is a huge collector (that's why I'm the same) and he funded their first house deposit by selling most of his bank notes and records. Now 30 years on he's reaccumulated everything and more for reasonable prices, but I don't think that will happen with videogames sadly.

I am the nostalgic type, but after maybe 10 years of accumulating stuff I'm also starting to feel like I'd like to be free of some clutter. I have a bad habit of ordering two of most things when they come out so for the newer stuff I've got tons of spares.

As I'm a couple years away from being at that point I feel your pain. Even now I already ask myself if I really need to pick up that game or that system, etc. I'd recommend flashcarts to help with the clutter but I know you have almost a full set.

Where I have it really bad is my habit to collect multiples of systems(I have enough nintendo systems that Irish wants me to arrange them in a pentagram and summon yamauchi) but I know the time will come to move some of them, Just try not to move anything you know you will want in the future as it'll never be worth moving.

Beatrix

Ok GAF I feel like splurging. A few days ago I spotted a pretty good condition Mega Man X2 cartridge for $89.99 at a local game shop. Is this worth it? Or too steep?

Teknoman

I dunno if its nostalgia, some of those pre-N64 games are pretty good (unless you didnt have stuff like rpgs or run and gun / shooters). But I do agree on getting rid of games you really dont care to replay down the line.

Chastten

Banned
I dunno if its nostalgia, some of those pre-N64 games are pretty good (unless you didnt have stuff like rpgs or run and gun / shooters). But I do agree on getting rid of games you really dont care to replay down the line.

Oh, I didn't mean it that way. A lot of late NES-era and SNES games are great and still perfectly playable today.

It's just that, as an adult I don't have a lot of time to game, and in that limited amount of time I prefer playing new games over replaying old ones, even if I loved those. Also, I dislike the clutter of having a gazzilion systems. Right now, I have a 360, Wii U and GameCube hooked my TV. The 360 and Wii U combined give me more great games then I have time to play, so I'll problably put the old trusty Cube in storage some time soon.

D.Lo

You might just make a fortune.

I sold my PAL SNES boxed Castlevanias for something like $400 and $550, and bought mint boxed Japanese copies for like 1/8 the price.

NTSC-J FTW.

linkboy

I thought about selling a lot of my classic games before I left to Korea, but decided against it.

I think giving my son the option to play the games that I grew up with would be pretty cool.

As I'm a couple years away from being at that point I feel your pain. Even now I already ask myself if I really need to pick up that game or that system, etc. I'd recommend flashcarts to help with the clutter but I know you have almost a full set.

Where I have it really bad is my habit to collect multiples of systems(I have enough nintendo systems that Irish wants me to arrange them in a pentagram and summon yamauchi) but I know the time will come to move some of them, Just try not to move anything you know you will want in the future as it'll never be worth moving.

lol @ the Multiple NESes. I don't think they're worth that much, but if that blinking light win thing comes into fruition and is good as they promise, you could pre-mod the NESes with them and probably resell them to new collector types at a premium.

You might just make a fortune.

I sold my PAL SNES boxed Castlevanias for something like $400 and $550, and bought mint boxed Japanese copies for like 1/8 the price.

NTSC-J FTW.

Damn, folks would pay that much for 50hz?

Top Bottom