• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

D.Lo

Damn, folks would pay that much for 50hz?
Yes they do.

That said, the software isn't 60Hz, the hardware is. 60Hz mod a PAL SNES and it plays almost all games correctly. Generally only Nintendo and Rare games were PAL converted at all, all Konami, Capcom, Square etc were just dumped as-is onto PAL carts.

Also PAL has better boxarts in far more cases than not.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Yes they do.

That said, the software isn't 60Hz, the hardware is. 60Hz mod a PAL SNES and it plays almost all games correctly. Generally only Nintendo and Rare games were PAL converted at all, all Konami, Capcom, Square etc were just dumped as-is onto PAL carts.

Also PAL has better boxarts in far more cases than not.

The carts themselves look better overall, too, but it's a bit unfortunate that you can't read the title off the spines. Living in the EU, I'd rather have the native version of any run that's available, the UK/Aus versions being the second best choice. I'd rather buy the US version over Non-English/Non-Japanese versions though. For my country (Sweden) native versions are usually valued much higher, almost all of which are in English.

Most people don't seem to care about 60Hz, but for those who do (like me) you can always consider modifying your system.

-KRS-

lDamn, folks would pay that much for 50hz?

You'd be surprised. I'd say in general PAL games are way more expensive than their NTSC counterparts. Well, at least here in Europe. I talk to a lot of collectors over here and for many of them NTSC games and consoles aren't even a factor at all. They actually think the NTSC games are inferior because it's not the region they're used to. Well whatever, more NTSC games for me!

Sword Familiar

You'd be surprised. I'd say in general PAL games are way more expensive than their NTSC counterparts. Well, at least here in Europe. I talk to a lot of collectors over here and for many of them NTSC games and consoles aren't even a factor at all. They actually think the NTSC games are inferior because it's not the region they're used to. Well whatever, more NTSC games for me!

I've never heard that argument before, except maybe for the NES (mostly because the music was also run at a lower pace). The arguments I heard thrown around back in the day with regards to PAL/NTSC was that PAL had a higher resolution and picture quality. I always prefered 60 Hz over that though because it made some games run that much better (extremely noticable in Tekken 3 for instance). Dreamcast kind of revolutionized this by giving you a choice between 50/60Hz on TVs supporting it though, effectively giving us the superior PAL 60 Hz alternative.

D.Lo

I've never heard that argument before, except maybe for the NES (mostly because the music was also run at a lower pace). The arguments I heard thrown around back in the day with regards to PAL/NTSC was that PAL had a higher resolution and picture quality. I always prefered 60 Hz over that though because it made some games run that much better (extremely noticable in Tekken 3 for instance). Dreamcast kind of revolutionized this by giving you a choice between 50/60Hz on TVs supporting it though, effectively giving us the superior PAL 60 Hz alternative.
Not really how it works. PAL 60 aka what the dreamcast did was NTSC resolution.

PAL is 576i 50Hz, NTSC is 480i 60Hz. Basically nothing ever runs at 576i 60Hz (and 576p 50z is an ever rarer, progressive signals are almost universally 480p).

PAL games never had higher resolutions, with the lone exception of some Gamecube games which rendered at true 576i (e.g. Metroid Prime 1). At best PAL games stretched the NTSC resolution over the 576 lines to match the aspect ration, and sped up the gameplay and music so the speed drop from 60 to 50 was nullified. At worst (99% of the time) it just letterboxed the signal and ran the game slower, leaving black bars and slower gameplay and music.

There are some small advantages to PAL, particularly the SNES. Music always runs at correct speed on the SNES, because the sound chip is discreet and not tied to the CPU clock. And some PAL SNES games have less slowdown, because effectively the console is the same exact hardware running slower, so it has spare cycles to 'catch up' compared to the NTSC console.

And finally, because PAL software was usually identical, all you need to do is modify the console and the much nicer looking PAL carts and console run correctly anyway. It's an easy mod with almost all old consoles except the NES and N64, Sega consoles in particular usually have a labelled jumper on the board to do the conversion!

EDIT: that said, I run an RGB modded Super Fami Jr for the next picture quality possible, so have ditched PAL completely!

Sword Familiar

Not really how it works. PAL 60 aka what the dreamcast did was NTSC resolution.

Alright, I stand corrected. In any case I didn't buy into the whole "higher resolution" deal back then anyway. For me, getting the game in fullscreen + 60 Hz was enough by choosing the NTSC alternative.

D.Lo

Did you do the mod yourself? I am looking into modding my Jr as well and am just wondering how difficult it is.
Yes. It's tricky, because of the chip position. Much harder than say an N64 RGB mod, but nothing like as arduous as an NESRGB, i.e. desoldering chips etc.

Mike Golf

Yes. It's tricky, because of the chip position. Much harder than say an N64 RGB mod, but nothing like as arduous as an NESRGB, i.e. desoldering chips etc.

Ah, I see. I have never modded a system before so am a little trepid. There a couple of Sony PVMs for sale on craigslist in my area so I am preparing to begin the RGB plunge. I currently run my SNES/64/DC with S-video, composite with my NES, and finally component for sixth gen on my 20 inch JVC CRT.

Leonsito

I'm on the hunt for a Terranigma cartridge, but I'm so fucking tired of repros that I have to ask every seller I find for the PCB pics, anyone here has a genuine Terranigma PCB picture to compare?

Rich!

So if I don't want to open up my cart, I can't help you?

It hardly takes effort to open it up though

Just use a gamebit screwdriver and then slide the back casing up. Done. Of course, you need a gamebit screwdriver.

Edit: here's the legit PCB

20130210_070828_3035_pcb_front.jpg

20130302_034629_3035_media_front.jpg

Leonsito

Thank you guys, buyer says it's original but doesnt know how to open it, he sent me pics of the cartridge and the label and looks genuine. I think I'm going to buy it, I will post pics of the inside when I get it!

Khaz

I'm on the hunt for a Terranigma cartridge, but I'm so fucking tired of repros that I have to ask every seller I find for the PCB pics, anyone here has a genuine Terranigma PCB picture to compare?

Spotting a repro is easy, you just look at the chips. If one has a sticker on it, it's most likely an eprom and worth shit.

Y'know, I was gonna brag about how I found a ratty SNES with a fairly-good copy of Turtles in Time bundled with it at the local thrift shop for only $30, but looking at eBay prices, I only really saved $10 to $20.

Still, if I can clean up all the grime on the console (Windex wipes, maybe?) and offload it somewhere to further recoup some cash (not expecting that much when all that came with it was a controller and an RF cable, though - not even a power cable!), that's still a relatively-cheap copy of the game.

Teknoman

Y'know, I was gonna brag about how I found a ratty SNES with a fairly-good copy of Turtles in Time bundled with it at the local thrift shop for only $30, but looking at eBay prices, I only really saved $10 to $20.

Still, if I can clean up all the grime on the console (Windex wipes, maybe?) and offload it somewhere to further recoup some cash (not expecting that much when all that came with it was a controller and an RF cable, though - not even a power cable!), that's still a relatively-cheap copy of the game.

Grab some magic erasers and (gently) go for it!

RexRogers

Neo Member
On the subject of saved games... I recently popped in my copy of Donkey Kong Country 2 thinking I'd battle the end boss again. Lo and behold my saved game had regressed to about the 52% mark! I know that the saves on these old games can get wonky with the old batteries, but has anyone ever seen this? I'd expect the save to just get wiped out and not replaced with an older version.

TheMoon

On the subject of saved games... I recently popped in my copy of Donkey Kong Country 2 thinking I'd battle the end boss again. Lo and behold my saved game had regressed to about the 52% mark! I know that the saves on these old games can get wonky with the old batteries, but has anyone ever seen this? I'd expect the save to just get wiped out and not replaced with an older version.

Lakitu done fucked up.

Olly88

Couple of new games;

Anyone got any tips on how not to suck at Street Fighter? Because I really am terrible at those kind of games. Just practice I guess?

Also should be fun to try and play Sim City in Japanese.

Mzo

Anyone got any tips on how not to suck at Street Fighter? Because I really am terrible at those kind of games. Just practice I guess?

To start, learn to block. I've seen so many people practicing their combos in the lab but they can't block for shit. Learn all your normals and what they're good for before focusing on specials. Learn your special moves and what they're good for. Learn to punish unsafe moves. Don't throw out unsafe moves.

That's a good start.

Olly88

To start, learn to block. I've seen so many people practicing their combos in the lab but they can't block for shit. Learn all your normals and what they're good for before focusing on specials. Learn your special moves and what they're good for. Learn to punish unsafe moves. Don't throw out unsafe moves.

That's a good start.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep it in mind!

Funnily enough I had one quick fight earlier to test that the game worked alright and won it easily. Doubt that will happen again though.

Mzo

edit: oops, wrong thread =[

Whatever, I can always talk SNES stuff. Just got Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure complete for cheap. Gonna try it out as soon as I hook the SNES back up.

Olly88

I got that a few years ago. It's a fun game, but I got stuck on a level so haven't played it for a while. I love how colourful it is.

Leonsito

Well, it seems like my Terranigma is indeed genuine:

IMG_20150129_150938.jpg

And also another one that was missing from my wishlist:

IMG_20150129_151113.jpg

And also bought an RGB cable, I'm so happy!

Sword Familiar

With all the bootlegs in circulation maybe I should check my Terranigma cart too just to be on the safe side. I'm not that worried though as I bought it a long time ago and it's complete.

alf717

Wow great deal for whoever got it. Hope it goes into a collectors hands and not some scummy reseller. That SNES was one hour away from me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How would one go about playing PAL Snes games at 60 hz? Is a modded PAL snes the only option? I'd like to play them on a Super Famicom.

-KRS-

How would one go about playing PAL Snes games at 60 hz? Is a modded PAL snes the only option? I'd like to play them on a Super Famicom.

You could either region mod the SFC or use a converter/adapter. Those adapters that are popular in Europe for playing NTSC games on PAL consoles work the other way around as well by plugging in an NTSC game in the back instead, and since they're made for PAL consoles it will fit in a SFC as well.

A good one is the AD-29 Universal Adapter Upgrade Version. I have the non-upgrade version and it has worked with everything I've thrown at it so I guess the upgrade version one is even better. There are games that won't work though, like I think any game using the SA-1 enhancement chip, and according to folks in here Terranigma.

Rich!

You could either region mod the SFC or use a converter/adapter. Those adapters that are popular in Europe for playing NTSC games on PAL consoles work the other way around as well by plugging in an NTSC game in the back instead, and since they're made for PAL consoles it will fit in a SFC as well.

A good one is the AD-29 Universal Adapter Upgrade Version. I have the non-upgrade version and it has worked with everything I've thrown at it so I guess the upgrade version one is even better. There are games that won't work though, like I think any game using the SA-1 enhancement chip, and according to folks in here Terranigma.

Yeah.

In addition, SuperCIC is a clean mod based on a custom chip thats admittedly a lot harder to install, but that preserves compatibility for the SA1. You switch regions by holding down RESET

If you arent up to soldering it up yourself, I've seen plenty premade ones around on trading sites, ebay and the like.

Top Bottom