• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Lucked into a great pickup earlier today. Got a SNS-101 along with Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, Super R-Type, NCAA Basketball, and a boxed copy of Final Fantasy III. I was staying away from SNES collecting because of the insane prices on some of this stuff, but I couldn't pass these up.

My wallet is already feeling the hurt of future purchases now that I've gone down this road, but I'm looking forward to getting some of my favorites from my childhood again.

alienator

Maybe somebody here can help me out.. i recently bought a PAL Snes with a Supercic and IGR mod, it works fine on most games, but it wont let me start my Axelay PAL cart..

It just crashes when i press start at the menu.. It does work however on my non modded PAL snes.. but also, i tried all available rom dumps of Axelay via my SD2SNES and they all crash at the same spot on the supercic snes. (but work fine on my pal snes, even the 60hrz usa/japan dumps, with the sd2snes)

and of all games possible, i just wanted to finally enjoy Axelay at 60hrz.. whats happening? a protection?

-KRS-

Maybe somebody here can help me out.. i recently bought a PAL Snes with a Supercic and IGR mod, it works fine on most games, but it wont let me start my Axelay PAL cart..

It just crashes when i press start at the menu.. It does work however on my non modded PAL snes.. but also, i tried all available rom dumps of Axelay via my SD2SNES and they all crash at the same spot on the supercic snes. (but work fine on my pal snes, even the 60hrz usa/japan dumps, with the sd2snes)

and of all games possible, i just wanted to finally enjoy Axelay at 60hrz.. whats happening? a protection?

Hmm interesting. Does it work if you run it at 50hz?

-KRS-

Weird. I don't have Axelay and I've lent out my SD2SNES, otherwise I would've tested on my SuperCIC modded Super Famicom. =/

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
My 50/60Hz PAL system is a bit buggy like that, too. Some games just don't work, while others may freeze in 60Hz mode. It's not perfect, but it might be the mod itself that is subpar. Haven't really looked into the matter.

My PAL Tetris Attack doesn't work and Final Fantasy III (VI) is a bit buggy. It freezes the startup of battles, leaving you with a black screen while the music is still running in the background. It's remedied by switching to 50Hz mode. This game had problems while using a converter too though.

Olly88

This arrived today;

iy7hOJL.jpg

It was one of those games that I always thought I'd like to try, but was never going to pay the price it usually sells for. Got it from eBay last week for under ten pounds though, so well chuffed with that :)

Teknoman

Is the music any better than part 2? I have no idea how the first game has an amazing Ghouls and Ghosts meets Disney style soundtrack, yet the Circus Mystery sounds like they didnt even try.

D.Lo

Axeley has some very clock specific effects. My US NTSC version had issues on level 2 played in 50Hz back in the day. So the PAL version most likely has been PAL optimised.

50/60Hz Modded systems are simply not quite the same spec as a stock console, it's a literal hack. Much like how 60Hz modded PAL Sega systems have colour and/or sync issues.

http://snesaday.com/

Been reading this lately. It's pretty cool that's he doing the games by release order. I've always wanted to do something like that, mostly just for myself (I like to track and record stuff like crazy) since by the time I get around to it it will have already been done by several people.

Anth0ny

Been reading this lately. It's pretty cool that's he doing the games by release order. I've always wanted to do something like that, mostly just for myself (I like to track and record stuff like crazy) since by the time I get around to it it will have already been done by several people.

I'd like to do this someday for N64. It has a low number of games and they aren't ridiculously expensive... yet.

Mzo

I'd like to do this someday for N64. It has a low number of games and they aren't ridiculously expensive... yet.

I am pretty sure the people doing the chronological playthroughs don't own every game for the system and are emulating a fair number of games.

D.Lo

Then you are a retro scalper.
No, you're playing the game. It's the opposite of a scalper, who by definition buys ONLY to make money selling.

I've done this my whole life, I want to play something, I buy it, then once it has no more value to me because I have finished it (I'm unlikely to ever play through RPGs ever again for example) I sell it to pay for what I want to play next. Sometimes I make money, sometimes I lose money. I don't do it to make money I do it to play games.

Seik

Banned
This arrived today;

iy7hOJL.jpg

It was one of those games that I always thought I'd like to try, but was never going to pay the price it usually sells for. Got it from eBay last week for under ten pounds though, so well chuffed with that :)

Holy crap, this exists?!

I thought the only game like this was that circus game with Mickey/Minnie.

I need this, is it as good?

Chittagong

Gold Member

I appreciate the effort and thoroughness, but having read through his F-Zero and Pilotwings reviews I don't think I can relate with his views at all. He is reviewing them from a perspective of today, rather than what they represented. And even then many of the nuances are lost to him. He complains about the lack of depth in F-Zero, when just shaving hundreths of a seconds in Mute City provided weeks and weeks of gameplay and strategies. And complaining about the controls in Pilotwings... it is still great in my opinion.

EDIT - and he's shitting on Top Gear, calling the music that is recognised as some of the best of the Super NES era "terrible". Unforgivable.

Zerot

Neo Member
Not really a problem if you play and sell. Even if you lose a bit of money you just paid a 'rental fee'. And you might make money.

Over the course of 700+ Super Nintendo games, that "rental fee" could end up being astronomical. Not even taking into account the time that would be spent finding copies of rare carts and then turning around and finding sellers for them after writing about them.

entremet

I appreciate the effort and thoroughness, but having read through his F-Zero and Pilotwings reviews I don't think I can relate with his views at all. He is reviewing them from a perspective of today, rather than what they represented. And even then many of the nuances are lost to him. He complains about the lack of depth in F-Zero, when just shaving hundreths of a seconds in Mute City provided weeks and weeks of gameplay and strategies. And complaining about the controls in Pilotwings... it is still great in my opinion.

EDIT - and he's shitting on Top Gear, calling the music that is recognised as some of the best of the Super NES era "terrible". Unforgivable.

Top Gear's music was the shit. Loved that OST.

Olly88

Holy crap, this exists?!

Unfortunately I can't say yet whether it's good or not as I've only played it for five minutes to make sure it worked alright. It looks great though, and the controls seem really good, so I guess I can say that about it at least.

Mzo

Holy crap, this exists?!

You mean aside from the first Magical Quest, right? That was way more popular than the Great Circus Mystery sequel.

So I've gotten to the point where I think I have a pretty good idea of what every single NA SNES release basically *is*. I'm still constantly running across Super Famicom games I've never heard of before though. Is there any good resource that catalogs all of them? Preferabbly with the box art and screenshots?

edit: I guess, other than just going through gamefaqs letter by letter, clicking on the unfamiliar names and then going to the screenshots from there.

So I've gotten to the point where I think I have a pretty good idea of what every single NA SNES release basically *is*. I'm still constantly running across Super Famicom games I've never heard of before though. Is there any good resource that catalogs all of them? Preferabbly with the box art and screenshots?

edit: I guess, other than just going through gamefaqs letter by letter, clicking on the unfamiliar names and then going to the screenshots from there.

By no means comprehensive, but give this site a try
http://www.videogameden.com/sfc.htm

Shining

Holy crap, this exists?!

The first game has a special place in my heart, but this one is definitely better than Circus Mystery. Better music, the levels are better designed and you get to play as Donald if you want to :)

SKINNER!

Banned
Had my eye on a copy of Chrono Trigger that got sold for £190. That's the highest I've ever seen that game go.

Guys, I'm out! X( I'll stick with my DS version unless I randomly come across a decent priced SNES copy during my lifetime.

Btw, anyone tried that Retron5 machine? Looks really cool! worth it?

Peagles

Had my eye on a copy of Chrono Trigger that got sold for £190. That's the highest I've ever seen that game go.

Guys, I'm out! X( I'll stick with my DS version unless I randomly come across a decent priced SNES copy during my lifetime.

Ouch, hope that was CIB?

SKINNER!

Banned
Ouch, hope that was CIB?

It was. Near Mint condition too. Thing is, I set myself a limit which I thought was already high so I figured I had it in the bag but when I saw the end price I was like "Goddamn! This is too much". Worst is, I fear that this huge price will just inflat the price of other copies. I'm just somewhat happy that the DS version of Chrono is the best version.

Peagles

It was. Near Mint condition too. Thing is, I set myself a limit which I thought was already high so I figured I had it in the bag but when I saw the end price I was like "Goddamn! This is too much". Worst is, I fear that this huge price will just inflat the price of other copies. I'm just somewhat happy that the DS version of Chrono is the best version.

That's better but still damn pricey. I still need to buy a mint box or another whole CIB copy because some post person decided to sit on the one I snagged for $150 USD :(

Chrono Trigger for DS = $15
Chrono Trigger SNES cart = $90ish
Chrono Trigger bitbox = $5
Chrono Trigger SFC Complete = $20

That's my plan (just need the bitbox and the SFC set). Way cheaper than chasing cardboard. At some point I may go after the Nintendo Power guide too, even though I already have the Final Fantasy Chronicles book from Bradygames.

New to SNES collecting, got a few questions:

1) I will mostly be buying NTSC-J games. Is it better to get an adapter and a NTSC-U SNES or buy a Super Famicom? What's a fair price for each?

2) Do I need to mod the snes to use RGB (via scart) out?

3) Any tips outside of this?

iamtheb

Hey guys. I've got a quick question. I made a trade last week for a copy of Super Adventure Island 2. There's a sticker on the label and for that, I got a pretty nice deal.

Here's the problem. It's just a plain old paper sticker on the right side of the label. I thought I would spray on some Goo Gone and call it a day. That sticker was so tough, it did next to nothing. Any other tips on getting a sticker off a label? Thanks.

eXistor

I own one. I think it's great personally. Games look great through HDMI, and for my upcoming situation (moving out) it's just handy to use. I'm gonna keep my entire game collection including all the retro systems in my game room upstairs and I'm gonna be using the Retron 5 in the living room. It just saves so much space.

Of course nothing beats the real thing, but in certain situations like mine it's a godsend.

For my two, newest inquisitions got Star Fox for 5$ at a pawn shop and picked up DKC2 on ebay for 15$.

First reaction to Star Fox beside it's amazing ost was it's low frame rate if they ever manage to release on the VC, I wouldn't mind them bumping it up to 30fps.

Now if only I could get Sunset Riders for a decent price.....

1) I will mostly be buying NTSC-J games. Is it better to get an adapter and a NTSC-U SNES or buy a Super Famicom? What's a fair price for each?

Get a Super Famicom, it can use the same power adapter as Genesis, and you won't end up having the broken power port issue.

SFC/SNES puts out RGB natively, you just need the SCART cable.

TheMoon

For my two, newest inquisitions got Star Fox for 5$ at a pawn shop and picked up DKC2 on ebay for 15$.

First reaction to Star Fox beside it's amazing ost was it's low frame rate if they ever manage to release on the VC, I wouldn't mind them bumping it up to 30fps.

Now if only I could get Sunset Riders for a decent price.....

Star Fox Inquisition!

Did you mean acquisition or did you really burn down villages for this deal? :D (would be epic
and scary
if the latter)

Save yourself the headache of pursuing CIB. The price of cart-only are bad enough

Top Bottom