• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

This will likely be neutralized by collecting NTSC-J games, no? I was under the impression that SFC, like gameboy, was pretty reasonably priced in JP.

Depends. Even the games that are significantly cheaper than the US releases (Megaman X2, X3, Demon's Crest, Dracula X, Hagane, etc.) have been rising in price. And a number of SFC are still crazy expensive (Rendering Ranger, Undercover Cops, King of Demons, etc.)

Huggers

Only with an adapter as far as I know. Not sure what one(s) though as I do it the opposite (SFC/NTSC games on a PAL system).

Yeah I considered this but you can only get 50hz without modification right?

Another question if anyone can help, what is the best power supply when using a NTSC Snes in the UK?

Star Fox Inquisition!

Did you mean acquisition or did you really burn down villages for this deal? :D (would be epic
and scary
if the latter)
Well this is embarrassing.... but I definitely meant the former.

Besides, If I were to burn down any villages with games believe me the ones with the scalpers would be the first to go.

Olly88

Yeah I considered this but you can only get 50hz without modification right?

I think so, but I have to admit that I'm not much of an expert on that stuff.

I do remember reading before though that some PAL SNES games were optimized to make up for the slower speed, and that those games when played on an NTSC system end up being way too fast or have other glitches.

TheMoon

Well this is embarrassing.... but I definitely meant the former.

Besides, If I were to burn down any villages with games believe me the ones with the scalpers would be the first to go.

If only we lived in that fantasy world where they officially reprinted these classics every five years or so in reasonable quantities. :/

Teknoman

I didn't know it was that easy to modify SNES to play JP cartridge.

Yup, just get some grip pliers and move the tabs back and forth until they weaken and break. Thats all thats preventing it. Some SFC carts have slots for those tabs though...for some reason or another. Removing the tabs wont prevent SNES carts from working though, just make your system...region free heh.

New to SNES collecting, got a few questions:

1) I will mostly be buying NTSC-J games. Is it better to get an adapter and a NTSC-U SNES or buy a Super Famicom? What's a fair price for each?

2) Do I need to mod the snes to use RGB (via scart) out?

3) Any tips outside of this?

You dont need an adapter if you can find a good SNES. Just remove the plastic tabs inside the cart slot.

redhairedking

Yup, just get some grip pliers and move the tabs back and forth until they weaken and break. Thats all thats preventing it. Some SFC carts have slots for those tabs though...for some reason or another. Removing the tabs wont prevent SNES carts from working though, just make your system...region free heh.

You dont need an adapter if you can find a good SNES. Just remove the plastic tabs inside the cart slot.

I'm looking to get into SFC collecting and was wondering if you could clarify what you meant by a "good SNES"?

Thanks for the heads up man. Cheers!

Anyway I found this decent looking SFC for $50. I'm new to this SNES/SFC collecting and I'm not sure whether $50 is a good price or not.

$_12.JPG

fooish101

Hey guys,

Please let me know if this isn`t appropriate to post here, but I was digging through my closet last night and found I still have my old childhood copy of EVO.

I don`t have much of an attachment to it, so I`m thinking of selling it.

Before I throw it up on e-bay, I`m wondering if any gaffers are looking for a copy. It`s just the game neat, with no case or manual.

Haha I haven`t played it for years so I might give it a quick run-through first and enjoy it and make sure it still works first!

Fularu

Banned
Hey guys,

Please let me know if this isn`t appropriate to post here, but I was digging through my closet last night and found I still have my old childhood copy of EVO.

Before I throw it up on e-bay, I`m wondering if any gaffers are looking for a copy. It`s just the game neat, with no case or manual.

Haha I haven`t played it for years so I might give it a quick run-through first and enjoy it and make sure it still works first!

I would if the game wasn't so insanely expensive.

My ex son in law stole and sold my SNES collection including Robotrek and Evo and well, I'm not getting those back anytime soon :p

Good luck on selling it though! You'll definitely find someone

In fact, it looks like something like Rockman X3 will run you $30-40, while getting it complete is at least $90+

This is a pretty recent thing. When I got to Japan, it was going for much less, but it seems to have tripled in price over the last year. Then again, I live out in the countryside, and it seems like game prices are lower and increase more slowly here. I got my copy for 1000 yen about two years ago.

Fularu

Banned
This is a pretty recent thing. When I got to Japan, it was going for much less, but it seems to have tripled in price over the last year. Then again, I live out in the countryside, and it seems like game prices are lower and increase more slowly here. I got my copy for 1000 yen about two years ago.

Japanese seller have caught on and it's mostly selling to US/Europe buyers on ebay anyway

Just tore off the top of my Game Genie so now I can play Super Famicom games! I already bought Mario & Wario but is there any JP-only SuperFami games you guys would recommend? I've always been more of a collector that plays his games.

alf717

Just tore off the top of my Game Genie so now I can play Super Famicom games! I already bought Mario & Wario but is there any JP-only SuperFami games you guys would recommend? I've always been more of a collector that plays his games.

If you are into Mega Man check out Rockman & Forte. Kind of pricey these day though unless you go cart only. There is the GBA version as well but the screen is smaller so failing into pitfalls is easier on the GBA version if you don't already know where they are.

Hey guys,

It's my most wanted game but it will probably be at least a year before I'm buying any more $100+ titles :(

So, maybe $220 worth of stuff, including an extremely yellowed console, and being generous with Lufia II since it requires work to function... wonder what his definition of "lowball" is

Olly88

This is a new one

Why would anyone sell the shells only? What happened to the boards?!

Seeing how he says;

Depending where the auction ends I will throw in the boards free as charge.

I'm assuming he's planning on selling the boards separately to make more than he would selling them whole
shrug.001cll0r.gif

Edit: I guess he could be saying that to get the auction as high as possible, and then whatever the highest bid is he can just say, "Not high enough."

Bancho

This was my solution to playing NTSC games on my PAL unit. I installed a SuperCIC and NTSC cart flap. Turned out pretty good :)

Uni.jpg

bomer

I'm going to Tokyo on Sunday! Any recommendations of places to go other than super potato? I was planning to buy a super boy for novelty and a bunch of games. I have a pal SNES and SFC and NTSC adapter already. Would like to pickup street fighter 2 alpha and maybe some Rockman games because mega man x is like 200 bucks on eBay in Australia.

Teknoman

This was my solution to playing NTSC games on my PAL unit. I installed a SuperCIC and NTSC cart flap. Turned out pretty good :)

Uni.jpg

Damn that looks nice! Kinda wish we got that design in NA too.

Also I dont care what people say about Phalanx. Its actually not that bad of a shooter and the soundtrack is pretty good.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm assuming he's planning on selling the boards separately to make more than he would selling them whole
shrug.001cll0r.gif

Edit: I guess he could be saying that to get the auction as high as possible, and then whatever the highest bid is he can just say, "Not high enough."

I'm guessing he had manufactured 4 counterfeit/reproduction shells. Easy to grab some sports games, take the labels off, print/buy new labels, and then put the labels on. So he's either selling the counterfeit shells or those are the original shells and he's putting the counterfeits on the boards he has.

I doubt he had any intention of selling the boards at all.

Uni.jpg

that's awesome. i want to find someone who will mod my super famicom like that. just need the cart slot modded to accept snes games.

Huggers

Yeah guess that is down to the Nintendo premium. I'm told it's inferior. No unlockabe character, sound, graphics not up to par etc. Also it's supposed to be harder? I finished Rondo of Blood but it was pretty challenging for me. Wonder whether I can get through it on the Snes. I'm tempted to doctor the Snes and by a Japanese copy which whilst still not exactly cheap, is far more reasonable

dodgeme

I picked up Dracula X a few months back and I gotta say it is by no means a bad game. I've actually been enjoying it a bit more then Castlevania IV. You could try and see if there's any of the playtronic Brazilian version on eBay. They generally go for a bit less but have been following the same trend upwards.

Huggers

Yeah I saw a Playtronic one on there going for $200 still. It looked tatty too. I think this might be a rare exception where I buy the Famicom version

I picked up Dracula X a few months back and I gotta say it is by no means a bad game. I've actually been enjoying it a bit more then Castlevania IV. You could try and see if there's any of the playtronic Brazilian version on eBay. They generally go for a bit less but have been following the same trend upwards.

This is the most insane thing I have ever heard. :p I kid, I kid. Though you do have a Shadow the Hedgehog avitar...

HaL64

Seeing how he says;

shrug.001cll0r.gif

I asked him why he sold the shells only and here is what he said "They along with a bunch others I have quit working over time. I put them into my snes and nothing reads. So I sold the casings to whoever could use them (have the game(s) but damaged carts, bad labels, etc..."

Wtf? why would you not sell them with the boards as "not working"?
I asked, lets see what he comes up with as a reason now.

I'm going to Tokyo on Sunday! Any recommendations of places to go other than super potato? I was planning to buy a super boy for novelty and a bunch of games. I have a pal SNES and SFC and NTSC adapter already. Would like to pickup street fighter 2 alpha and maybe some Rockman games because mega man x is like 200 bucks on eBay in Australia.

Well Super Potato is nice place to visit to say the least but I wouldn't recommend getting retro games from SP. You can walk around Akihabara and look for other retro game stores which offers better pricing.

Peagles

Uni.jpg

Beautiful! I think I might do something similar. I've currently got my 1CHIP SFC running inside an NTSC shell but I don't really like the look of it and it's pretty yellowed up. The slot is fine though so maybe I'll just steal the slot and use one of my good looking SFC or PAL SNES shells and do that slot mod. Does it attach pretty easy once the slot is widened?

Bancho

Beautiful! I think I might do something similar. I've currently got my 1CHIP SFC running inside an NTSC shell but I don't really like the look of it and it's pretty yellowed up. The slot is fine though so maybe I'll just steal the slot and use one of my good looking SFC or PAL SNES shells and do that slot mod. Does it attach pretty easy once the slot is widened?

Unfortunately it required quite a bit of dremel work to get it to fit. The US flap is slightly larger so requires cutting. The internal cart area needed cutting also. It's certainly worth it though, that's effectively a universal SNES with the CIC chip installed. I have to admit, it looks kinda strange with the square US carts in.

US.jpg

Japanese Cart Inserted

Jap.jpg

I have 4 more US cart flaps so may attempt it on a SFC if i can pick one up at a reasonable price. It needs to be that Grey/White colour mind. I can't stand Cheeseblock SNES's lol!

Top Bottom