• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

shimrra

I would if the game wasn't so insanely expensive.

My ex son in law stole and sold my SNES collection including Robotrek and Evo and well, I'm not getting those back anytime soon :p

Good luck on selling it though! You'll definitely find someone

Seriously? I didnt believe you until I looked it up myself. Damn, I remember working in a game store years ago and that was one of those games we just couldn't sell. I remember we eventually throw that and a bunch of others in a $5 dollar pile.

Peagles

Unfortunately it required quite a bit of dremel work to get it to fit. The US flap is slightly larger so requires cutting. The internal cart area needed cutting also. It's certainly worth it though, that's effectively a universal SNES with the CIC chip installed. I have to admit, it looks kinda strange with the square US carts in.

US.jpg

Japanese Cart Inserted

Jap.jpg

I have 4 more US cart flaps so may attempt it on a SFC if i can pick one up at a reasonable price. It needs to be that Grey/White colour mind. I can't stand Cheeseblock SNES's lol!

I think it's worth a shot! Thanks. I'm gonna make it my next project and see if I can acquire a dremel.

Unfortunately it required quite a bit of dremel work to get it to fit. The US flap is slightly larger so requires cutting. The internal cart area needed cutting also. It's certainly worth it though, that's effectively a universal SNES with the CIC chip installed. I have to admit, it looks kinda strange with the square US carts in.

US.jpg

Japanese Cart Inserted

Jap.jpg

I have 4 more US cart flaps so may attempt it on a SFC if i can pick one up at a reasonable price. It needs to be that Grey/White colour mind. I can't stand Cheeseblock SNES's lol!

I cut up my Super Famicom. It totally sucks to do it. It was a lot of work (there's a lot of plastic inside and it's fairly thick) and not really worth it since a US SNES can be had for pretty cheap. I guess if you want it all in one it might make more sense.

IrishNinja

This is a new one

Why would anyone sell the shells only? What happened to the boards?!

I'm guessing he had manufactured 4 counterfeit/reproduction shells. Easy to grab some sports games, take the labels off, print/buy new labels, and then put the labels on. So he's either selling the counterfeit shells or those are the original shells and he's putting the counterfeits on the boards he has.

I doubt he had any intention of selling the boards at all.

ugh...yeah, this isnt a bad guess, really. dude make a fucking killing off of possibly nothing though.

This was my solution to playing NTSC games on my PAL unit. I installed a SuperCIC and NTSC cart flap. Turned out pretty good :)

simply beautiful! i love the grey/purple transformer head we got for nostalgia but man is this thing so much sharper

Really want Dracula X as I finally got an NTSC Snes. Man that has gone up in price!

still weird how the bastard child of the series shot up so much down the road...and yeah im late here but i totally imported the uncensored SFC version & never looked back

I think is funny how much more valuable it is than the PC Engine original. It has its fans though. I think Yes Boss! prefers it.

say whaaaaaaaaaaaat
that's...i mean she's cool but man is that a crazy choice

Mark5130

Does anyone know where online I could buy some SNES cartridge bags? I have a few boxed games without them and it's driving me nuts.

Olly88

Just bought Ganbare Goemon 4. Really looking forward to getting/playing it even though I haven't completed Mystical Ninja yet :p

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
The 3rd one is the only one I don't own. Always considered it the weakest of the 4 for some reason, but now I don't know anymore. Haven't played it in years.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
still weird how the bastard child of the series shot up so much down the road...and yeah im late here but i totally imported the uncensored SFC version & never looked back
I know right? I recent got a PC Engine CD version of Dracula X for $40 (lucky) but the SNES offshoot is so much more expensive. It's insane.

D.Lo

The 3rd one is the only one I don't own. Always considered it the weakest of the 4 for some reason, but now I don't know anymore. Haven't played it in years.
3rd one is the best one! Best graphics, best music, best platforming stages, best mini games, just everything about it is awesome.

IMO it's 3>2>1>4.

Though 3 is the one with the most RPG elements so if you don't know Japanese will almost certainly require a guide.

Sword Familiar

3rd one is the best one! Best graphics, best music, best platforming stages, best mini games, just everything about it is awesome.

IMO it's 3>2>1>4.

Though 3 is the one with the most RPG elements so if you don't know Japanese will almost certainly require a guide.

I would grade them 2-1-4-3 as it stands now. I'm fairly proficient in Japanese, so that's not really a problem.

But I'll certainly look into 3 again soon.

D.Lo

I would grade them 2-1-4-3 as it stands now. I'm fairly proficient in Japanese, so that's not really a problem.

But I'll certainly look into 3 again soon.
Graphically alone it's a clear head above 1 and 4, and slightly better than 2. Music wise it's equal first with 1.

It's much more of a Zelda sort of thing than any of the others however.

hypotc

Here's my 50/60hz and region switch modded PAL SNES. I really love it, and I only buy NTSC carts nowadays. The flap is so well done too. Got it from a guy who makes these in the UK.

dewcZ6D.jpg

Samuray

Is "Super Off-Road" worth getting? I like the NES version a lot and screens for the 16-Bit one look mighty fine.

And how about "Last Action Hero"? Back then I avoided those licensed games like the plague, and I'm sure this one isn't considered a really good game even today.....but I am a sucker for anything remotely resembling a sidescrolling beat'em up, so....

Sword Familiar

Is "Super Off-Road" worth getting? I like the NES version a lot and screens for the 16-Bit one look mighty fine.

And how about "Last Action Hero"? Back then I avoided those licensed games like the plague, and I'm sure this one isn't considered a really good game even today.....but I am a sucker for anything remotely resembling a sidescrolling beat'em up, so....

Super Off-Road is good fun if you liked the NES version. Last Action Hero though? I think it's pretty shitty. Wouldn't recommend it even to fans of the genre. You would do better to check out the classics, like Turtles in Time or the Final Fight series, if you haven't already. Ninja Warriors Again has the same setup as LAH though, if you're into beat em ups where you can't move up or down. It's quite pricy though.

Samuray

Super Off-Road is good fun if you liked the NES version. Last Action Hero though? I think it's pretty shitty. Wouldn't recommend it even to fans of the genre. You would do better to check out the classics, like Turtles in Time or the Final Fight series, if you haven't already. Ninja Warriors Again has the same setup as LAH though, if you're into beat em ups where you can't move up or down. It's quite pricy though.

Thanks!
Well, I already have "Turtles" and all "Final Fights", as well as obscure stuff like "Iron Commando" and "Undercover Cops". Also have "Super Double Dragon" and, in a similar vein to "Last Action Hero", even "Cliffhanger".

I'm after "Ninja Warriors" at the moment, as well as "Ghost Chaser Densei" and "King of Dragons" and "Knights of the Round". The first two will probably happen soon but I'm having no luck with the latter two.

I'll think about LAH then. Even if it is shitty I am really hungry for all games of the genre. Hmmm...

Thanks!
Well, I already have "Turtles" and all "Final Fights", as well as obscure stuff like "Iron Commando" and "Undercover Cops". Also have "Super Double Dragon" and, in a similar vein to "Last Action Hero", even "Cliffhanger".

I'm after "Ninja Warriors" at the moment, as well as "Ghost Chaser Densei" and "King of Dragons" and "Knights of the Round". The first two will probably happen soon but I'm having no luck with the latter two.

I'll think about LAH then. Even if it is shitty I am really hungry for all games of the genre. Hmmm...

It's worth noting that the Power Rangers games were developed by Natsume and use the same engine as Ninja Warriors Again. I have only played the first one, and the combat is looser and not as satisfying as NWA, but it incorporates some cool, enjoyable platforming elements that's totally absent from NWA. It's not often games give you such massive sprites and tell you to wall jump and avoid obstacles, haha.

The sequel called Power Rangers The Movie has 2-player and is supposed to be better, but I haven't played it. Consider tracking the two down if you're on the lookout for licensed beltscrollers.

Huggers

Decided to jump ship and go NTSC for most of my snes gear now, with the odd PAL and Famicom purchase for good measure. Console is in transit. Next pick ups pic/vid should be a belter

Sword Familiar

Thanks!

I kinda figured you knew about them already, heh. Well, it's worth noting that if you're still aching to try LAH it's not really a major investment. I think it'll only set you back a few dollars on ebay, which says quite a bit about it's popularity, I guess. Of course. anything mint condition complete is a bit higher.

Samuray

Ah, what the hell....just sprung for a boxed copy of "Last Action Hero" as it was not even 8$. Can't wait for it to arrive. :D

Thanks for letting me know about "Power Rangers", I will look into those. I'm not so much into licensed games but into everything brawler, so they could well fit the bill.

On that note, I also picked up a complete "Batman Returns", which is supposedly a solid beat'em up? I got it mixed up with "Batman Forever" which I recently got for cheap, and boy - was I surprised to see those "Mortal Kombat"-like digi sprites on my screen :)

Timu

On that note, I also picked up a complete "Batman Returns", which is supposedly a solid beat'em up? I got it mixed up with "Batman Forever" which I recently got for cheap, and boy - was I surprised to see those "Mortal Kombat"-like digi sprites on my screen :)
Great beat em up, worth it unlike Batman Forever as it sucked back then and it sucks forever.

Mzo

Batman Returns is a great beat-'em-up. Have you tried Sonic Blast Man or SBM 2?

Man, I'd get real tired typing quotes around every single game I name around here.

I have 280 SNES games, and Last Action Hero is very possibly the worst one

I picked it up used, and couldn't beat the first level as a kid. It was brutally difficult.

True Lies was a much better game, but my friend and I had trouble with it, too. They made that one very difficult as well. We beat it with cheats, though.

Hilariously enough I beaten it, and it wasn't worth it at all!!!

With or without cheats?

Man, I'd get real tired typing quotes around every single game I name around here.

Batman Returns was fantastic. Forever was somewhat fun, too, but far from noteworthy.

I rented Returns a lot as a kid.

I still have my SNES collection, but I think I'm missing my AC adaptor. I don't know why, though, because I took great care of it and kept it in an old Adidas bag. Same with all of the games.

My favourites were always:

Super Star Wars 1-3
The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (own two copies)
Goof Troop
Super Mario World
Captain America and the Avengers
A Link to the Past (don't own on SNES)
Hook (don't own)

...and, of course, Donkey Kong Country 1-3.

I think I have about 30 games.

Timu

Impressive
The game gets much worse as you progress, definitely when you have to fight guys with guns, those are the worst and require a lot of dodging skills to get pass them as you fight other types of enemies with them. The stages get longer and more tedious as well. There's a driving stage which is probably the best stage in the game. The helicopter boss is tough but by punching missiles at it at the right spot and time it'll go down. The final boss is damn easy, just run up to him, punch him before he attacks you, he'll teleport away and repeat. And then after that it's crappy ending with crappy music to go with it, lol.

Samuray

Great beat em up, worth it unlike Batman Forever as it sucked back then and it sucks forever.

Well, but then at least the name's appropriate, so there's that.

I have yet to dive in but since it seems to be a beat'em up as well, I won't regret the ten bucks I paid for it. Box looks good too.

When I threw it in for a couple of minutes to check if it works I couldn't get up to the upper level...I was pretty much stuck right at the beginnig, after beating a guy or two. Maximum embarassment or am I not alone? :)

Yeah, I like to make the effort because it makes everything more readable and it just looks nicer. To me, at least.

And I used to write a couple of articles on games so I just got used to it.

"Sonic Blast Man"......whoa, yeah, that was on my Want List but I kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! I think I will need the JPN version, though.....I think there was some censorship in the US game.

linkboy

I've got a super Famicom that I picked up when I was in Japan back in 2006 and I'd seriously pay a good amount of money to get it missed to play US games.

I loathe the design of the American SNES.

Huggers

I do prefer the Pal Snes/Super Famicom but then again I've never actually seen an NTSC one in person. Might change my mind when mine arrives

Timu

"Sonic Blast Man"......whoa, yeah, that was on my Want List but I kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! I think I will need the JPN version, though.....I think there was some censorship in the US game.
Yeah you can't beat up women in the US version like you can in the Japanese version.

Hah, this discussion just inspired me to play War of the Gems. Despite never beating more than a level or two when I was a kid, I just got through the whole thing in one sitting. Definitely seemed a lot harder back then. Only Black Heart and Thanos really gave me any trouble.

I love the arcade game but this and the Genesis port were just garbage. Not only does it look and animate poorly, they changed the way the game plays for the far, far worse.
The Genesis port is garbage? That's a shame. I kind of assumed the SNES port was trash since the music is abhorrently ported (missing all kinds of notes - not playing the wrong ones, rather not playing them at all), but I'd assumed the Genesis version got a competent port job (I mean, they got Masaharu Iwata and Hitoshi Sakimoto to do the conversion job, and that pair did excellent work on the Genesis, so clearly they knew something about what they were doing...).

The pale lavender color of NA SNES is less grab looking than the gray SFC / PAL SNES to me. The multicolor buttons and accents look straight Playskool too. NA SNES wins.

Sword Familiar

The colors are one thing, but I think most people prefer the rounded shapes of the EU/JP system and carts. The US carts are more convenient if you don't own the box though because they have the titles on the spines.

Yeah, I can certainly understand that. I wonder what SFC would look like with the NA color scheme, lol.

I've seen folks make their own custom end labels for N64 and SFC carts too.

I prefer the color of the US SNES and the colors of the JPN/EUR SNES controller. (Although US gets a couple of concave buttons, so that's also a win.)

Top Bottom