• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Yeah, I can certainly understand that. I wonder what SFC would look like with the NA color scheme, lol.

Something like this? /sloppyshop:

sloppyshopsfc_zps58088903.png

I do not like it. =)

Peltz

I prefer the look of the Super Famicom carts and controllers.

Specifically, the carts just fit into the system so nicely. They're so snug. Not to be overly sexual, but I'll take a snugger hole any day.

That ^ just looks so much better than v that.

Plus I really don't like the eject button on the NA SNES. Yuck. That said, I retired my SFC to my parent's basement and exclusively use the NA model in my apartment.

I feel as if all the US SNES haters just have residual jelly from having to live with the inferior PAL standard. Having that shape your bad opinions must suck and I feel sorrys for you. :3

Here's my 50/60hz and region switch modded PAL SNES. I really love it, and I only buy NTSC carts nowadays. The flap is so well done too. Got it from a guy who makes these in the UK.

dewcZ6D.jpg

damnit, i want this done to my super famicom. i think you posted in this thread before with a link to the facebook page of the guy that did yours. i contacted him twice, but never heard back from him. possibly because i'm in the states. i'm kind of surprised there's no one here on neogaf that does this kind of thing...

Mercutio

I prefer the look of the Super Famicom carts and controllers.

Specifically, the carts just fit into the system so nicely. They're so snug. Not to be overly sexual, but I'll take a snugger hole any day.

That ^ just looks so much better than v that.

Plus I really don't like the eject button on the NA SNES. Yuck. That said, I retired my SFC to my parent's basement and exclusively use the NA model in my apartment.

I like the look of the SFC carts (or I guess they call them "cassettes" right?) better for sure, but MAN, they're the worst designed cartridges in the history of carts.

You can't stack them. They have no spine art. Ugh. SNES carts might not be sexy, but they've got both those things. Plus, it's so much easier to mod a SNES for SFC carts than vice versa.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Kids in the US stack carts because their parents threw away their boxes. ;(

This happened to me in the NES era. ;_;

Mercutio

Kids in the US stack carts because their parents threw away their boxes. ;(

This happened to me in the NES era. ;_;

Woe to he who decides to collect CIB SNES carts.

Personally, I buy rental game shells for something like $1.50 each and print art. Way better IMO.

And I just noticed your Avatar by the way.

Best ever.

TheMoon

I feel as if all the US SNES haters just have residual jelly from having to live with the inferior PAL standard. Having that shape your bad opinions must suck and I feel sorrys for you. :3

No, it's just plain fugly :D

There's nothing residual since many of us didn't even know what the difference was between PAL and NTSC standards until well into the '00s.

Mercutio

No, it's just plain fugly :D

There's nothing residual since many of us didn't even know what the difference was between PAL and NTSC standards until well into the '00s.

But you did feel deep within the pit of your stomach that something was terribly, terribly wrong, didn't you? As if the universe had shifted by just a few frames per second?

hypotc

damnit, i want this done to my super famicom. i think you posted in this thread before with a link to the facebook page of the guy that did yours. i contacted him twice, but never heard back from him. possibly because i'm in the states. i'm kind of surprised there's no one here on neogaf that does this kind of thing...

He can be somewhat slow answering if I recall correctly. I got my SNES though, shipped with solid packaging, so I'm super happy.

I doubt shipping to the US would be a problem, so you should try to get ahold of him again. It's definitely worth it!

eXistor

I think the US Snes is pretty ugly myself, but I think it would look alright if they made the power and reset buttons another color (red maybe?) and just used the Super Famicom/PAL snes controller colors.

Why are we getting in a pissing match over console designs, again? This is about as childish as the argument over whether "Genesis" or "Mega Drive" sounds better.

TheMoon

Why are we getting in a pissing match over console designs, again? This is about as childishcrucial to human survival and thus unavoidable as the argument over whether "Genesis" or "Mega Drive" sounds better.

Yes, completely agree. So how do we settle this? There is no Smash on the SNES.

Why are we getting in a pissing match over console designs, again? This is about as childish as the argument over whether "Genesis" or "Mega Drive" sounds better.

Do you think that a discussion where someone posts a large photo of a jar of jelly is really an argument? It's all tongue in cheek here.
PS, Genesis for lyfe son, get rekt.

Peltz

But you did feel deep within the pit of your stomach that something was terribly, terribly wrong, didn't you? As if the universe had shifted by just a few frames per second?

Honestly, how could you guys not know something was off? I assume you had arcades and handhelds which ran at proper speed.

Peagles

Honestly, how could you guys not know something was off? I assume you had arcades and handhelds which ran at proper speed.

As much as I'm fussy about it today, I can honestly say I never noticed as a kid.

I mean, I remember Sonic felt kinda slow, but I think that was only because of the music compared to the sequels, I had no idea that it was faster on the other side of the world somewhere.

I never had any money to put in arcade machines but I used to watch the attract screens longingly. I had a Gameboy but the screen refresh rate was so bad I never noticed the speed.

Peltz

As much as I'm fussy about it today, I can honestly say I never noticed as a kid.

I mean, I remember Sonic felt kinda slow, but I think that was only because of the music compared to the sequels, I had no idea that it was faster on the other side of the world somewhere.

I never had any money to put in arcade machines but I used to watch the attract screens longingly. I had a Gameboy but the screen refresh rate was so bad I never noticed the speed.

What about PC games? Did your PC monitors also run at 50hz? I'm not disbelieving you, I'm just genuinely curious about what it was like to be a PAL gamer.

Peagles

What about PC games? Did your PC monitors also run at 50hz? I'm not disbelieving you, I'm just genuinely curious about what it was like to be a PAL gamer.

We were too poor to have a PC for much of my childhood. We had an old PC in the late 90s with DOS and Windows 3.1 and we used to play some old DOS games, but that's about it until maybe 5 years ago when my fiance built me my first gaming PC. I don't doubt that PCs were 60Hz back then but I can't say I ever noticed.

Heck our broadcast TV is still 50Hz and I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between that and watching Netflix.

linkboy

Same here, I have a SFC that just sits on my shelf in my room as a display piece until I can find a way to get it modded to play NA games.

IIRC European PCs still ran at 60Hz.

At any rate, when I moved to England from the US for three years, I don't really recall us having to buy new monitors, unlike our TVs.

I do know some PCs do have the Hz difference, though (eg: Commodore 64s).

He can be somewhat slow answering if I recall correctly. I got my SNES though, shipped with solid packaging, so I'm super happy.

I doubt shipping to the US would be a problem, so you should try to get ahold of him again. It's definitely worth it!

yeah, it's been months since i've contacted. sent first email and waited about four weeks. after that i sent a second and still never heard anything. i'm not going to keep bugging the dude. i'm sure i'll eventually find someone to do the mod. there's not really a huge rush. my super famicom has basically been in it's box in my closet since i got it. need to get the mod done, build my collection, and get a framemeister before i'll really start using it. oh, and i need to find more time. i can barely manage to play the new games that i want to play let alone old games that i grew up on.

D.Lo

PAL slowness/squashedness is nothing compared to the picture from RF, which is what the vast majority of people connected their consoles with until the mid/late 90s even. I remember reading the #1 accessory for the PS1 and N64 was the RF adapter, 50% of people on those consoles used RF!

TVs had lots of overscan back then too, so games filled the screen decently (apart from super-squashed games like Street Fighter II, and many Master System games with huge borders).

And it's not like the game companies had much in the way of options. People didn't replace their TVs very often in the 80s/90s, and most TVs couldn't run 60Hz. Even less could run NTSC colour, I got a Super Fami in like 94, only to find my brand new Sony only ran the game in black and white!

And how would a kid possibly know about the game running slower with no point of comparison? In Nintendo's case 1st party games were usually at least partially PAL optimised too, so it just made Nintendo games look even better than 3rd party games than they already were.

PAL slowness/squashedness is nothing compared to the picture from RF, which is what the vast majority of people connected their consoles with until the mid/late 90s even. I remember reading the #1 accessory for the PS1 and N64 was the RF adapter, 50% of people on those consoles used RF!

TVs had lots of overscan back then too, so games filled the screen decently (apart from super-squashed games like Street Fighter II, and many Master System games with huge borders).

And it's not like the game companies had much in the way of options. People didn't replace their TVs very often in the 80s/90s, and most TVs couldn't run 60Hz. Even less could run NTSC colour, I got a Super Fami in like 94, only to find my brand new Sony only ran the game in black and white!

And how would a kid possibly know about the game running slower with no point of comparison? In Nintendo's case 1st party games were usually at least partially PAL optimised too, so it just made Nintendo games look even better than 3rd party games than they already were.

So true. I had that RF thingy for my PS1, since my TV was a hand-me-down from my parents when they bought a new TV. It was a shitty old 14inch TV that actually had a blue screen that warmed up the picture tube before it even could show anything on the display (lol!).

It's like you say though, I was in PAL territory and never knew the difference to NTSC, I do now and it annoys me slightly, but back then that's what I had.

What did annoy back then though, was reading gaming magazines and hearing about games releasing in Japan that took a damn year to reach the shores of Europe, I'm so glad those days are over!

Huggers

No where is safe on here!

As for the 50-60hz thing. As a kid I had heard about it from magazines. I did not care one jot though nor did I notice. Sure I played in arcades a lot but they were so far ahead there was no comparison anyway. When you're little all you care about is the fact you're sat at home playing g Street Fighter or Sonic or whatever.

I like the look of the SFC carts (or I guess they call them "cassettes" right?) better for sure, but MAN, they're the worst designed cartridges in the history of carts.

You can't stack them. They have no spine art. Ugh. SNES carts might not be sexy, but they've got both those things. Plus, it's so much easier to mod a SNES for SFC carts than vice versa.

Yeah, US SNES carts are far, FAR better than Japanese ones. The lack of end labels and inability to properly stack the Japanese cartridges is really, really annoying! It's really unfortunate that Nintendo didn't put end labels on N64 carts either, it's the one mistake they made with that system's design. At least they did fix the stacking problem, though -- N64 carts are flat on top and bottom, not rounded like SFC carts are. Super Famicom cartridges look kind of cool, but functionally are quite awful. US SNES carts also look good, and they are a lot better designed too! It's not even close, huge advantage for US SNES carts for sure.

(And yes, I stack SNES games. The Japanese ones keep falling over, such an awful design!)

Yeah, US SNES carts are far, FAR better than Japanese ones. The lack of end labels and inability to properly stack the Japanese cartridges is really, really annoying! It's really unfortunate that Nintnedo didn't put end labels on N64 carts either, it's the one mistake they made with that system's design. At least they did fix the stacking problem, though -- N64 carts are flat on top and bottom, not rounded like SFC carts are. Super Famicom cartridges look kind of cool, but functionally are quite awful. US SNES carts also look good, and they are a lot better designed too! It's not even close, huge advantage for US SNES carts for sure.

(And yes, I stack SNES games. The Japanese ones keep falling over, such an awful design!)

Lol, Nintendo was probably tryna peddle these:

sfc-cabinet.jpg

D.Lo

Yeah, US SNES carts are far, FAR better than Japanese ones. The lack of end labels and inability to properly stack the Japanese cartridges is really, really annoying! It's really unfortunate that Nintnedo didn't put end labels on N64 carts either, it's the one mistake they made with that system's design. At least they did fix the stacking problem, though -- N64 carts are flat on top and bottom, not rounded like SFC carts are. Super Famicom cartridges look kind of cool, but functionally are quite awful. US SNES carts also look good, and they are a lot better designed too! It's not even close, huge advantage for US SNES carts for sure.

Cart only is for savages. Keep them in the box.

US carts are okay, at least they were designed to sort of match the NES carts. It's the console that's a hideous monstrosity that requires Stockholm syndrome to love.

Cheerilee

Cart only is for savages. Keep them in the box.

Way to destroy the boxes. Carefully take the carts out of the boxes, put the mint condition boxes inside a box on the top shelf of your closet, and then keep cart-only next to your SNES/SFC.

Yeah, US SNES carts are far, FAR better than Japanese ones. The lack of end labels and inability to properly stack the Japanese cartridges is really, really annoying! It's really unfortunate that Nintendo didn't put end labels on N64 carts either, it's the one mistake they made with that system's design. At least they did fix the stacking problem, though -- N64 carts are flat on top and bottom, not rounded like SFC carts are. Super Famicom cartridges look kind of cool, but functionally are quite awful. US SNES carts also look good, and they are a lot better designed too! It's not even close, huge advantage for US SNES carts for sure.

American SNES games don't stack if they have their proper dust covers, they should stand. If they don't have dust covers, they can't stand and fall over. If you don't use dust covers, you're a monster, so it doesn't matter if stacking becomes easy.

Way to destroy the boxes. Carefully take the carts out of the boxes, put the mint condition boxes inside a box on the top shelf of your closet, and then keep cart-only next to your SNES/SFC.
Yeah, I do have some boxes, but I wouldn't keep the games in them; it'd take up more space, make it harder to get to the games, and those boxes would get damaged for sure. Cardboard boxes last fine as long as you're not using them too often, but use them often and they will degrade.

Also, of course, complete SNES games are expensive. I'm not going to pay all that money just to have the boxes and manuals too, the cartridge is the most important part.

American SNES games don't stack if they have their proper dust covers, they should stand. If they don't have dust covers, they can't stand and fall over. If you don't use dust covers, you're a monster, so it doesn't matter if stacking becomes easy.
I think I have like one SNES dust cover. They didn't even come with most of the games, right? No need for those things, really. (I don't keep Game Boy games in the dust covers either, though I have more for that system...)

Cheerilee

I think I have like one SNES dust cover. They didn't even come with most of the games, right?
They came with every game until Nintendo decided to cheap out and stop including them (not really sure what year they stopped).

Also, apparently Greenpeace complained that people were ignoring their dust sleeves and just threw them in the garbage (monsters!). It's perfectly okay to throw Final Fantasy 3's box and manual in the trash, because those are biodegradable, but the dust sleeve is plastic and will stay entombed in that landfill forever, so Nintendo needed to do something about that. Rather than smacking stupid kids in the head, Nintendo took away our dust sleeves.

No need for those things, really. (I don't keep Game Boy games in the dust covers either, though I have more for that system...)

Monster!

D.Lo

I keep my mint condition carts in the mint condition boxes in box protectors. They only come out when I want the full box/manual retro experience on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I then play the games from my Super Everdrive. The only game I actually want to play often and need the actual cart for is Yoshi's Island.

Back when I was a kid, I kept my SNES and Super Fami carts in a drawer, leaning backward so you can see what game is what. Boxes in a closed cupboard away from the sun. Stacking is inelegant anyway, what if you want a game from the bottom of the 'pile'.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yesterday I was playing some Famicom on my HD-tv, and I actually thought it looked pretty good. Then I changed to my Super NES (played Starfox), and it looked really terrible. It is connected through the same port in my tv where all the av/scart stuff goes, and it is also the same type of cable (regular Nintendo AV-cable that works on everything from AV Famicom to gamecube and maybe even Wii), so this is really confusing to me. What I mean by saying it looked terrible, is that there were some pretty bad flickering going on which was very noticeable, espeically in darker areas of the screen. I know these consoles are not supposed to look that great on a HD-tv, but it was just so surprising that the Famicom did not have this problem, while the Snes had. I also checked my Gamecube, and it also didnt have this problem. So any suggestions?

Olly88

Ganbare Goemon 4 arrived today... but it doesn't seem to work :( I get to the menu alright but the bit where the list of save games should be is just a black screen. I'm guessing it's because it's a game that doesn't work properly on my PAL console with the adapter I've got. I guess there's a chance it could be a faulty game though.

Is there any way I can test to know for sure what the problem is?

dodgeme

Gotta thank fooish101, saw his post in here about EVO and he sold it to me for a good price. Now I have the opportunity to have a chance to play through this gem and have another nice piece for my collection.

Just loaded up one of the saves on there to get a look at it. Plan on starting fresh real soon though.

I will say it's a shame that I waited as long as I did to get some of this SNES stuff. I'll prolly never get my hands on Hagane or Aerofighters but these mid 100 level ones are attainable for me when I flip stuff so I have been grabbing them when I can.

Of course some obligatory pictures.

Huggers

Just bought Super Probotector from Ebay. One of the first Snes games I ever played. I haven't played it since like 92 so it'll be interesting to see whether it is as awesome as I remember it. Also been playing a lot of Jurassic Park which is flawed but fun. Did a review for it too http://youtu.be/Jsw6yPT8XDg

Is it really? I've only seen STUPID prices on eBay and when I asked Arcade Gear to tell me the price in Japan they came back with 8000 yen...

Heads up; it's back down to $50-$60 on eBay. I don't know why [edit: probably because the upcoming Vita port of Sayonara will also include the SFC original], but that's probably the best it'll be from here on.

dodgeme

Well I was reorganizing a bit and wanted to get photos of all of my SNES games.

Figured I'd share with you guys as it's nice to see each others collections.

This isn't all of it I do have a few more games coming including Demon's Crest, Final Fight 2, Sonic Wings (SFC), Dead Dance, and that other Kunio Kun game with the Motorcycles that is like River City Ransom.

Been trying to tackle a few of the pricier games while I've had a bit of spare cash from some successful thrift store flips. I have settled for a few poorer quality copies but was able to save quite a bit by throwing some lucky numbers to best offers on ebay.

I have actually built a lot of this locally however. Besides a few of the obvious a lot of these are thrift,flea,garage sale finds including Mega Man X2.

Top Bottom