• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Looks like SNES bitboxes are back in stock. Just ordered 50, since I'm tired of being anxious over my carts running around loose or banging around UGCs. I'll figure out getting the artwork printed for them later lol

The price for their printing service is cheap enough that I just have them print the artwork for me. I think SAG even said they don't even generate any profit off of printing the artwork, they just do it to encourage people to buy the BitBoxes.

The price for their printing service is cheap enough that I just have them print the artwork for me. I think SAG even said they don't even generate any profit off of printing the artwork, they just do it to encourage people to buy the BitBoxes.

Yeah but I've been flip flopping over whether I want to do the original artwork style (which I have been doing with UGC) or the vertical style that has the matching spines.

ZealousD

Yeah but I've been flip flopping over whether I want to do the original artwork style (which I have been doing with UGC) or the vertical style that has the matching spines.

I don't really like the horizontal style with custom cases. You're gonna hold it, store it, and open it like you would any other video game case so the horizontal orientation just makes it look awkward.

Huggers

Looks like I'd better get some pliers out and remove those tabs;

ya1M9oy.png

Huggers

It cost me £70 odd from Japan. Seems to be going up in price right now I'd say

Edit. Quick update. Got a leatherman tool and wiggled/wrenched out the tabs in the NTSC Snes. Absolute piece of cake. This is modding on my level

^^ Totally agree. I don't understand the hang up. It would be like wringing your hands over using a different AV cable or something. It's terribly minor, but with huge benefits.

Just watched a video of SNES music, and the DKC and DKC2 clips made me super nostalgic. Unfortunately I loaned that sh#t out forever ago and am still waiting on the return ><

TheMoon

Just watched a video of SNES music, and the DKC and DKC2 clips made me super nostalgic. Unfortunately I loaned that sh#t out forever ago and am still waiting on the return ><

Time to cash in. Put a dead banana with a knife in it in front of their door or on their bed if you have access.

I decided to get into collecting some SFC games and my first 4 arrived today:

Seiken Densetsu 3
Super Puyo Puyo Tsu
Pop'n TwinBee
Tetris Battle Gaiden

I also did the super simple mod to let me play them on my SNES and it was ridiculously easy and they worked right away. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more Japanese-only games, and also US games that are just way too expensive now.

I don't have many, and can't recommend anything super obscure, but do know these ones:

Ganbare Goemons 2-4
Font Mission Gun Hazard
Super Bomberman 3-5
Kunio-Tachi
Dossun! Ganseki
Kishin Doji Zenki
Umihare Kuwasi ($$$)
King of Demons ($$$$$)
Majyouo (I'm actually not finding anything for this one, but I had it in my notes as a game to track down...)
Macross Scramble

I don't have many, and can't recommend anything super obscure, but do know these ones:

Ganbare Goemons 2-4
Font Mission Gun Hazard
Super Bomberman 3-5
Kunio-Tachi
Dossun! Ganseki
Kishin Doji Zenki
Umihare Kuwasi ($$$)
King of Demons ($$$$$)
Majyouo (I'm actually not finding anything for this one, but I had it in my notes as a game to track down...)
Macross Scramble

Yeah definitely gonna look out for the Goemon games, along with the Bombermans and Umihara Kawase (not gonna pay a ridiculous price for it though). That Kunio-kun game looks pretty sweet (not super familiar with the series though). I'm a sucker for puzzle games so I'll have to check out Dossun! Ganseki Battle!

Olly88

I don't know about ones with an expensive US version, but Xandra no Daib&#333;ken: Valkyrie to no Deai is a fun, cheap platformer whose PAL release seems to sell for about £300+.

ZealousD

What are some go to SFC games that have an expensive US equivalent, and aren't too text heavy?

Rockman 7/X2/X3. They have story but who cares, it's Mega Man. Super Aleste is also cheaper than Space Megaforce, which really shot up in price recently, my god.

Rockman 7/X2/X3. They have story but who cares, it's Mega Man. Super Aleste is also cheaper than Space Megaforce, which really shot up in price recently, my god.

Yep my first answer would be the Rockman series. There are a ton of rather common games that are just cheaper as SFC carts. Then you have obscure stuff like Hagane that are just ridiculously expensive and can be had for a somewhat reasonable price as SFC carts.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I found an SNES game genie at the thrift shop for a few bucks and tried out the other day. Was going to use it for unlimited continues in UN Squadron and Gradius 3 but no matter what codes I use, mostly ones I find online, the codes never work. Am I missing something? The green LED lights up and the game boots. Not sure if theres some missing code I have to enter.

Shots fired. I wouldn't pull mine out which is partly why I got a SFC.

On N64, rather than pull out my tabs to play Sin and Punishment, I do this:

I just removed the thing with the tabs in it. It means there are no doors on the cart port, but I keep a game in the system most all of the time anyway. Maybe I'll someday get around to cutting out those tabs so I can put the door assembly back in.

The tabs on a SNES are smaller and easy enough to break away, so for the SNES I just did that. Pliers worked, didn't even need to take the system apart.

Palom

I found an SNES game genie at the thrift shop for a few bucks and tried out the other day. Was going to use it for unlimited continues in UN Squadron and Gradius 3 but no matter what codes I use, mostly ones I find online, the codes never work. Am I missing something? The green LED lights up and the game boots. Not sure if theres some missing code I have to enter.

I found out that there's a revision of the SNES system that blocks the Game Genie from working. I have a launch model that it works on, and then bought another non-yellow system that it doesn't.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I found out that there's a revision of the SNES system that blocks the Game Genie from working. I have a launch model that it works on, and then bought another non-yellow system that it doesn't.

There are also two different versions of the SNES game genie. One that works on later revisions of the SNES (the v2) and the earlier one that doesn't. I think they're distinguishable by the code screen and whether or not there are dashes instead of blanks. I'm not sure, but it's something like that. Other than that there are no external markings differentiating the two versions of the genie.

Even on the v2 not all of the code lines will work on later SNES revisions. Only the top 3 or so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Game Genie____Works in later model SNES______Works with enhancer chip games
v1_____________________No___________________________Yes
v2_____________________Yes___________________________No

Petrae

I'm floored by the Space Megaforce price jump, myself. It's one of the games that I've been wanting to get, but there's no way I can justify spending that kind of money on one game.

ZealousD

I'm floored by the Space Megaforce price jump, myself. It's one of the games that I've been wanting to get, but there's no way I can justify spending that kind of money on one game.

Super Aleste is basically half price. That's the version I ended up getting.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I know breaking the tabs allows you to play SFC games...

But what about PAL games on a NA SNES? I've really been wanting to try out Terranigma after all these years of hearing praise (and listening to its amazing soundtrack on youtube).

TheMoon

So I know breaking the tabs allows you to play SFC games...

But what about PAL games on a NA SNES? I've really been wanting to try out Terranigma after all these years of hearing praise (and listening to its amazing soundtrack on youtube).

Terranigma is a no-go because it has a special lock-out chip. Mod your console or get a PAL system or one of those Retron things. Otherwise, no dice.
Even import adapters will do you no good with that game.

Whatever you do, play this game. God tier game that sits next to FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Earthbound.

Teknoman

Ended up winning a couple games off Ebay from the same seller a good month ago (imports) and still haven't received them (combined shipment).

Last time the tracking updated was Feb.10th saying "Origin post is preparing shipment". Seller said they would inquire about it, but that was back last monday. Not sure how long it takes to get an inquiry response from the Japanese postal service, but nothing yet.

Asked about it in the Saturn thread, but anyone else experience this before? I know JP imports can even take up to 3 weeks depending on shipping, but I'm thinking I might have to ask for a refund at this point.

Ended up winning a couple games off Ebay from the same seller a good month ago (imports) and still haven't received them (combined shipment).

Last time the tracking updated was Feb.10th saying "Origin post is preparing shipment". Seller said they would inquire about it, but that was back last monday. Not sure how long it takes to get an inquiry response from the Japanese postal service, but nothing yet.

Asked about it in the Saturn thread, but anyone else experience this before? I know JP imports can even take up to 3 weeks depending on shipping, but I'm thinking I might have to ask for a refund at this point.
3-4 weeks is my experience, including several purchases this year

BoatAck

Terranigma is a no-go because it has a special lock-out chip. Mod your console or get a PAL system or one of those Retron things. Otherwise, no dice.
Even import adapters will do you no good with that game.

Whatever you do, play this game. God tier game that sits next to FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Earthbound.

Terranigma will work on a NA SNES with a pro Action Replay MK 3.

Terranigma will work on a NA SNES with a pro Action Replay MK 3.

Is that the one that has the two slots? Basically one that you plug in a region correct game into and then the top one for the other? Do think those kind of things are the only thing, non mod related, that can get Terranigma to work on NA SNESes. That game is a pain in the ass though.

Slermy

Speaking of clipping tabs and the Game Genie, that was actually my route to play imports. I picked up a SNES Game Genie on the cheap, clipped tabs off of THAT and used that to play imports. Best of both worlds.

Olly88

That's what I did recently. I found out the converter I used to play SFC and US stuff on my PAL console works on my Super Famicom too, so I can now also play my American games on there without needing to modify the slot.

Top Bottom