• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Credo

GAF guys and gals, I hate you but I love you. You've inspired me to go ahead with a CIB SNES collection. Since I can find virtually no auctions with boxes & inserts that are in great condition, I guess I'll go for CIB auctions and then sell the game + manual combo for games I already have to offset the CIB cost.

I just got the Super Famicom versions of Super Metroid and Rockman/Megaman X3 on ebay for $32 each. Much more reasonable prices on those, and I like the look of the cartridges better for some reason too...

Yeah, the historical pricing of complete auctions goes back a few months and you can see a significant incline in pricing in the last 1-2 months. Super Metroid is the one game I still really need to pick up. Even SFC carts listed now are in the $30+ range.

GAF guys and gals, I hate you but I love you. You've inspired me to go ahead with a CIB SNES collection. Since I can find virtually no auctions with boxes & inserts that are in great condition, I guess I'll go for CIB auctions and then sell the game + manual combo for games I already have to offset the CIB cost.

Dude...That is a dangerous road you are doing down... Are you sure you want to drop hundreds and thousands of dollars on cardboard?

Basically how I justify spending $500-800 in games when I go to Tokyo. In 3 weeks I will probably drop $400ish on SFC games. And that is like 70 great games. So many carts that are sometimes roughed up a little can be found for 50-100 yen.

edit:

For example these were all 50-200 yen due to their condition. The best thing about buying games in Japan is how much they value the cosmetics of the carts and boxes. You can get just about anything boxed and things that are a little rough are heavily discounted:

Fox Mulder

Dude...That is a dangerous road you are doing down... Are you sure you want to drop hundreds and thousands of dollars on cardboard?

CIB games are just something I'm not willing to do at a premium.

I'm happy with great condition carts. While the boxes are neat with the art and details on the back that can take me back to the video store days, I'm probably just going to get some cheap plastic cases and print off custom covers for the same effect.

Michan

Today's scoop:

jlKCEilz8hn1Y.jpg

$10

Parallacs

Last night was a crazy night on eBay for big ticket items. I did not bid on any of these three but they all ended in the same hour:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25122547982...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_402wt_1189

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160971141575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_420wt_951

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200891571225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_44wt_1189

I was really following that copy of Hagane but I am moving next week and also, I don't trust a game from Brazil.

Whenever I get my SNES situation fixed, I really need to look into using SFC games as alternatives their US counterparts.

(Rockman X3 is cheaper than the US release, isn't it?)

Credo

No, I am absolutely not sure. Before I start, I'm going to make a list of about 10-15 games to see the difference between the best CIB price and the best cart + manual price. Then, I'll compare them to see how wide the gap is. I know the gap between the cart only and CIB for Earthbound is something like $250-300, but I don't expect most will be that outrageous, though I may have my eyes opened.

Last night was a crazy night on eBay for big ticket items. I did not bid on any of these three but they all ended in the same hour:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25122547982...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_402wt_1189

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160971141575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_420wt_951

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200891571225?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_44wt_1189

I was really following that copy of Hagane but I am moving next week and also, I don't trust a game from Brazil.

I've been watching for a Hagane copy too, and every time I see one that is from Mexico or Brazil I automatically dismiss it

Rezae

CIB games are just something I'm not willing to do at a premium.

I'm happy with great condition carts. While the boxes are neat with the art and details on the back that can take me back to the video store days, I'm probably just going to get some cheap plastic cases and print off custom covers for the same effect.

I feel the exact same way. More interested in clean carts and will just use custom cases which are more practical anyway.

No, I am absolutely not sure. Before I start, I'm going to make a list of about 10-15 games to see the difference between the best CIB price and the best cart + manual price. Then, I'll compare them to see how wide the gap is. I know the gap between the cart only and CIB for Earthbound is something like $250-300, but I don't expect most will be that outrageous, though I may have my eyes opened.
Just buy a few select CIB games. The games you love the most or have the most nostalgia for. Everything else, just get the carts. (Though I do at least try to get manuals too, when I can.)

Whenever I get my SNES situation fixed, I really need to look into using SFC games as alternatives their US counterparts.

(Rockman X3 is cheaper than the US release, isn't it?)

Yes, although you have to take into account $20 shipping. I just bought X1-X3 with an X3 box for SFC for $100 shipped, and I probably could have done better if I had been more patient (and less drunk).

Credo

Just buy a few select CIB games. The games you love the most or have the most nostalgia for. Everything else, just get the carts. (Though I do at least try to get manuals too, when I can.)

Oh, that's absolutely what I was talking about. I just wasn't very clear about it. I was 6 or 7 years old when I got the SNES, and I got more bad or average games than I care to admit, so I'd certainly never get a CIB version of those. I'm completely content having a cart and manual for them.

I'd love to get a CIB version of the Nintendo franchises and several other games, but there's no way I'd ever try to make a full CIB collection.

LiK

how are you guys finding such great deals? i feel like i was ripped off on eBay now when i was buying SFC games lol

GulAtiCa

I'm the same when it comes to BIN. Unless it's kind of cheap, I am only going for games I absolutely loved. Like Vegas Stakes and Soul Blazer.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
yeah no kidding, what a steal
I remember seeing it regularly around $15-20 years ago. I was annoyed when it was over $30. Now that it's regularly over $50, I'm even more annoyed. You can buy the damn PCB for a few dollars more.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the SFC cart route for some stuff like Megaman X2/X3, Hagane, etc. I'm also considering getting a bunch of the cool import RPGs. I know people do repros with donor carts, but is there anyone out there who will do translated EEPROMs on the original cart? I'd much rather have that if it's feasible. I think they'd be super cool.

Parallacs

I'm really conflicted about going the sup-famicom route.

My SNES is the one I got when I was 10. I have now had it 2/3rds of my life. I know breaking off the tabs is a minor thing but still, I don't want to modify it at all.

Besides, SFC carts are ugly in my opinion. I'm also one of those crazy people that prefers the purple buttons of the snes controllers to the fruit-loops colored mess of the SFC :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I tend to have a "buy the local version if it's available" policy, but dropping $100 or more on a second hand cart is just something I can't do. Mostly because I don't really want to just give money to some eBay profiteer and/or an overpriced retro shop. If I could buy it from the company, or maybe a fellow collector I would be way more apt to drop the money. That's the only reason I spent as much as I did on EVO (thanks, KoreanBarbecue!)

I'd be okay having to take out the tabs since my original SNES (which I'd also had since I was very young) had the front cracked by my brother :(

I'm also one of those crazy people that prefers the purple buttons of the snes controllers to the fruit-loops colored mess of the SFC :)

Haha, same here.

So what's everyone playing on their SNES right now?

My son and I are plowing through Yoshi's Island in the evening while trying to get a 100 on each level (which is tougher than I thought). By myself I've been working on LTTP, with a goal of finding everything on my own if I can. Last night I beat the Swamp temple 6 in the dark world. Even though I've beaten this game in my childhood these later dark world temples feel very new to me. When I've replayed the game in the past I usually stop around the first temple in the dark world, so it's like I'm playing a long lost Zelda game.

GulAtiCa

Just bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for $25. :)
Also bought "Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge" from the same guy for $16. Though not sure if competition cartridge or regular version. I say this as he listed the game as such but included a picture of the normal game. However, he also accidently listed Turtles in Time with the same DKC picture. I ask for him to upload a new picture and he did.

So who knows. I may have just bought the Competition Cartridge for $16. lol.
If not, well I can always resell for same amount. :p

Just bought Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for $25. :)
Also bought "Donkey Kong Country Competition Cartridge" from the same guy for $16. Though not sure if competition cartridge or regular version. I say this as he listed the game as such but included a picture of the normal game. However, he also accidently listed Turtles in Time with the same DKC picture. I ask for him to upload a new picture and he did.

So who knows. I may have just bought the Competition Cartridge for $16. lol.
If not, well I can always resell for same amount. :p

HAHA!! So you're the one who pick up Turtles in Time. I saw it, waited a few minutes pondering whether or not to get it. I then decided to pull the trigger, looked back and saw that it was sold :(. I also saw that DKC comp. listing and figured it was just a typo. Hopefully I'm wrong and you got the steal of the year.

Iskander

Neo Member
how are you guys finding such great deals? i feel like i was ripped off on eBay now when i was buying SFC games lol

I lucked out and found a guy who was in the US. Luckily I don't have the true compulsion to collect, or this could become ruinously expensive...!

Final Fight Guy auctions tend to end at $75-80, not $150. Wait for an auction on that one before hitting a BIN.

Also, I can't believe Final Fight Guy carts have skyrocketed that much. I bought an extra for $15 or so in 2010, which was maybe $5 under the going rate.

Olly88

Just saw a great condition boxed Demon's Crest for a quarter of the usual price and my heart jumped. Opened the listing to see it was a repro :(

Just saw a great condition boxed Demon's Crest for a quarter of the usual price and my heart jumped. Opened the listing to see it was a repro :(

Was it on ebay? That is some bullshit that should get your ebay account closed. Selling translated repros is one thing. Selling officially released fakes is pure bootleg territory.

Olly88

I reported him too, but I don't think eBay will do anything. I've reported other bootlegs before, and seen people from forums like NintendoAge report sellers before quite a lot but they seem to carry on.

Teknoman

Is Swat Kats rare or at least uncommon? Just wondering since you run into things like that one Flinstones game for NES being pretty rare.

Top Bottom