• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Oh man, I remember having this and the game based on the movie. Was forbidden from ever playing the latter at my house with friends over because fights would always break out over who got to choose Tommy.

I just bought PR: The movie tonight, will have a video up next week. One more video compressing now, should be up in a few minutes.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Latest aquisitions

img_0035sjuyb.jpg

Keifu is already my favorite FE game after 2 chapters.

Super Metroid done. Fuck that is one of my favorite games ever. I hadn't played it in so long, kept forgetting power ups. I got to Ridley and realized I had forgotten the Plasma beam. Which I remembered I actually did the last time I played a decade ago also. Maybe next time I'll remember. Such an epic final fight and credits music. So good.

New video up:

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ETMQUMZ04

Trying to decide if you said it was made by Konami on purpose or not.

Picked up a copy of Saturday Night Slam Masters today. I'm a sucker for 4-player games on the SNES. Always looking for an excuse to use my multitap. Wish there were some 4-player beat 'em ups. Wish Capcom had actually gotten 4-player into Mega Man Soccer.

Fox Mulder

Oh man, I remember having this and the game based on the movie. Was forbidden from ever playing the latter at my house with friends over because fights would always break out over who got to choose Tommy.

I wonder if Sega had exclusivity for the Green Ranger, as he was only in the Genesis, Game Gear, and Sega CD versions of this game. Just seeing the cutscene summoning the Dragonzord still gets me hyped.

Even the Genesis version of the movie game is better.

Reclaimer

Gaf: help me figure out if I should hit up this garage sale tomorrow! Pic below.

Mortal Kombat and a Pong console in clear view. Super Mario World 2nd down in the right side stack??

What's on top? I can't make it out.

Probably should just leave work for an hour or so just to see if there are any hidden gems here.

fH3rZlh.png

Kainazzo

My local retro game store doesn't usually have much in terms of imports, but today I picked up Gundam Wing: Endless Duel for $20 (cart only), on a whim after hearing a few positive things about it years ago. eBay prices seem a bit higher (especially for cib), but it might be worth it. I don't play fighting games, so the genre as a whole always slips under the radar. Suddenly I'm really wishing I was paying more attention.

Take a look!

Huge sprites and an awesome intro theme! It released in 1996, so by then the developers must've really known how to flex some SNES muscle. This in many ways seems like what a SNES CD game would've been like. Add in voice acting and Sega CD in-engine cutscenes, and I see something that's very impressive, but nonetheless possible. I've been playing Slayers lately, so the jump in tech is seriously jarring. I suck at fighting games and already I'm pulling off all sorts of combos, this here is a fun time, and I'm not even a Gundam fan!

Oooor, I've played so few fighting games that I wouldn't know a good one from Shaq Fu, and I'm just wowed by the pretty graphics :p

-KRS-

hah of course when I finally got the money to spend on it, the SD2SNES flashcart is sold out everywhere. :(

Edit: But oh well, I guess that means I can use that money for buying actual games instead.

My local retro game store doesn't usually have much in terms of imports, but today I picked up Gundam Wing: Endless Duel for $20 (cart only), on a whim after hearing a few positive things about it years ago. I don't play fighting games, so the genre as a whole always slips under the radar. Suddenly I'm really wishing I was paying more attention.

Take a look!

Huge sprites and an awesome intro theme! It released in 1996, so by then the developers must've really known how to flex some SNES muscle. This in many ways seems like what a SNES CD game would've been like. Add in voice acting and Sega CD in-engine cutscenes, and I see something that's very impressive, but nonetheless possible. I've been playing Slayers lately, so the jump in tech is seriously jarring. I suck at fighting games and already I'm pulling off all sorts of combos, this here is a fun time, and I'm not even a Gundam fan!
I picked up a CIB copy a few years ago for $25+shipping. It's an awesome game, and it's absolutely broken with tons of infinites and cool stuff you can do (don't let that prevent you from learning the game--it's really fun). It only came out half a year later than Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition (check that out too!), but I feel like the dev team learned a whole lot in that time in making cool and interesting character designs and gameplay decisions.

There's a really sweet GWED combo video on YouTube that seems to stem from some guys doing netplay on SNES9x:
Part 1
Part 2

Kainazzo

It only came out half a year later than Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition (check that out too!), but I feel like the dev team learned a whole lot in that time in making cool and interesting character designs and gameplay decisions.

I was listening to the sound effects and thought they sounded familiar (especially jumping). The Fighting Edition was pretty much the only fighting game I played as a kid; that's a pretty cool connection. No wonder I latched onto it so quickly, thanks for letting me know!

Here is another video in the recommended pickups for SNES/SFC collectors:

S.O.S./Septentrion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGB67bCy914

Previous Videos in the series:
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRK6w0Psco

I was going to complain about you shining light on X-Men as that has been on my list for some time and I don't want to see the prices go up, but it seems like there are a lot of copies listed for $10 shipped on ebay right now. There's even a boxed copy for $20/make and offer.

Where do Euro-GAFfers get their games? NES and SNES prices are through the roof in Finland, like 15 euros for something like Super Mario World which is ridiculous. Maybe one would be better off just modding the console and buying NTSC games?

Krelian

Where do Euro-GAFfers get their games? NES and SNES prices are through the roof in Finland, like 15 euros for something like Super Mario World which is ridiculous. Maybe one would be better off just modding the console and buying NTSC games?
It's a combination of different sources. Ebay has many games but ridiculous prices, every now and then you can get lucky, though. Sometimes you can find something at a flea market or a used games store. Last but not least you should take a look at local gaming forums.

If anybody has another good suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it, too.

Reclaimer

hah of course when I finally got the money to spend on it, the SD2SNES flashcart is sold out everywhere. :(

Edit: But oh well, I guess that means I can use that money for buying actual games instead.

Get a Super Everdrive, PCB only, $79. Build your own cart out of a $5 mint sports game (I made an all internal one with no cutout, super clean) Save yourself some money, it's more readily available than SD2SNES, and has excellent compatibility. Let the SD2SNES go through some revisions of hardware and software. Buy yourself a Retrode with some of the savings.

I use mine to play the odd fan translation or homebrew remix, and transfer my real cart saves to the everdrive to play outside my house.

(Not taking my real SNES games over to friends houses or on long trips... But I'll gladly transfer my saves to an Everdrive and take that)

It's a combination of different sources. Ebay has many games but ridiculous prices, every now and then you can get lucky, though. Sometimes you can find something at a flea market or a used games store. Last but not least you should take a look at local gaming forums.

I have been looking for german ebay for cheap bundles and that does seem to be the way to go.

I scourge flea markets weekly/daily looking for records and I pretty much never see NES/SNES games around and if I do the prices are huge (because the demand is huge so that figures).

Which reminds me, I gotta go to a place that bit out of reach but where I saw OOT, some SNES sports games (IIS2, NHL94... boxed but at 25 euro price point with OOT being 55...) etc. last time I was there, next week!

plc268

No it's not. It's in stock at retrogate. The site is owned by krikzz, who assembles the sd2snes. It ships from Ukraine, so there's like a 1-2 week wait after ordering.

Rezae

Was traveling and stopped at a local game shop and picked up a non-yellowed SNES (my 2nd) for $40 and a perfect looking Lufia 1 cartridge for $30. They also had Ff2 and FF3 for $30 and $45 respectively, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

The SNES has a UC3 serial number which I believe has one of the better chipsets as it's the last revision of the standard model.

Was traveling and stopped at a local game shop and picked up a non-yellowed SNES (my 2nd) for $40 and a perfect looking Lufia 1 cartridge for $30. They also had Ff2 and FF3 for $30 and $45 respectively, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

The SNES has a UC3 serial number which I believe has one of the better chipsets as it's the last revision of the standard model.

I didn't know any gamestops still sold vintage games?

Probably should just leave work for an hour or so just to see if there are any hidden gems here.

If you saw this, somebody else who's in the business of collecting (or reselling) games saw this, and they already called the guy and if there was anything good, they drove to his house already and bought it.

depths20XX

Thinking of getting a copy of Sunset Riders for $45 from a local place at lunch...is that a decent price? I probably shouldn't...I have enough games right now.

Linkhero1

Fuck. LOL. I read it twice even cause it caught me off guard. My brain apparently decided what it wanted to see instead of what was actually there. Stupid brain.

I had to do a double take as well haha.

Thinking of getting a copy of Sunset Riders for $45 from a local place at lunch...is that a decent price? I probably shouldn't...I have enough games right now.

Seems to be the ballpark price for the game.

Parallacs

If I was at home, I would link you the youtube video of the opening. That awesomeness alone would be enough for you to make the right decision.

Interestingly, even though it is awesome, the intro and game for the SNES is heavily censored compared to the Genesis and Arcade versions. Cigarettes, violence, chest size, etc.

depths20XX

If I was at home, I would link you the youtube video of the opening. That awesomeness alone would be enough for you to make the right decision.

Interestingly, even though it is awesome, the intro and game for the SNES is heavily censored compared to the Genesis and Arcade versions. Cigarettes, violence, chest size, etc.

Well I ended up not getting it...it's still sitting there

I did pick up some other games though:

Phalanx (Haven't played this before but I like shmups and it was cheap)

Super Nova (I honestly didn't know anything about this game except that it was a shmup. Then I noticed it had the Darius ship on the box and this game is also known as Darius Force. Pretty cool because I love the Darius games.)

Actraiser (I enjoyed this game in the past even though I think I like the second one more)

$40 altogether

I'll get Sunset Riders eventually...

Parallacs

Well I ended up not getting it...it's still sitting there

I did pick up some other games though:

Phalanx (Haven't played this before but I like shmups and it was cheap)

Super Nova (I honestly didn't know anything about this game except that it was a shmup. Then I noticed it had the Darius ship on the box and this game is also known as Darius Force. Pretty cool because I love the Darius games.)

Actraiser (I enjoyed this game in the past even though I think I like the second one more)

$40 altogether

I'll get Sunset Riders eventually...

I really like Phalanx. I think it gets a bad rap because of the box art. The game feels solid.

I don't really like Super Nova or any of the Darius games. Something about shooting robo-fish on beaches and forests and whatever. I get all of those games mixed up even though I own all of them.

I still need to get Actraiser. Good finds!

Teknoman

Ended up getting Sunsetriders myself, but only because I had a 50 amazon gift card. And even then I had to pay 5 bucks difference :p So 45 is pretty good, but i'm sure it'll be there for awhile.

Parallacs

Here is another video in the recommended pickups for SNES/SFC collectors:

S.O.S./Septentrion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGB67bCy914

Previous Videos in the series:
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhRK6w0Psco

Awesome, I'll check this when I can access youtube. I've always been curious about SOS since it has the coolest box art ever. I saw the Retro Game Master video of it and wasn't sure if it sucked or not.

I liked your other two videos. I'm going to start looking for X-Men but MMPR didn't interest me.

Awesome, I'll check this when I can access youtube. I've always been curious about SOS since it has the coolest box art ever. I saw the Retro Game Master video of it and wasn't sure if it sucked or not.

I liked your other two videos. I'm going to start looking for X-Men but MMPR didn't interest me.

That was such a good episode that episode is why that game is on my radar

GulAtiCa

My condolences.

heh yeah. Using a RF on my 51in HDTV doesn't produce the best results. Sadly that TV has no S-Video ability. My other HDTV will be using Sega Saturn for the S-Video cable (eventually). So I plan to place my old SNES upstairs in my room with my older TV that has the ability.

Will be interesting to see how much improved it will look with the S-Video instead of RF.

My Mega Ma X2 that went to Washington for some reason was supposed to arrive today, and didn't. It left a town an hour away from me just before 5AM. So, maybe tomorrow.

First-class mail, six days (I hope) to get from South Carolina to Illinois. I am 730 miles from where it shipped from, but in the end it will have traveled 4,988 miles.

The fuck, USPS?

Doombear

This RF talk has reminded me that I had a question... seems very appropriate for this topic (and will interrupt my drooling at some of these collections).

After picking up a copy of Earthbound months and months back, I went to play it but I am having no luck whatsoever with S-Video on my 32inch HDTV. RF works, but the S-Video on either of the two cords I have (one is an Intec cable, the other is a Gamecube S-Video cable I believe.) I have tried on two different SNES consoles. Just get a monochromatic mess if I get anything at all. Thoughts?

Would really like to play this as well as I can given what I have now.

-KRS-

Get a Super Everdrive, PCB only, $79. Build your own cart out of a $5 mint sports game (I made an all internal one with no cutout, super clean) Save yourself some money, it's more readily available than SD2SNES, and has excellent compatibility. Let the SD2SNES go through some revisions of hardware and software. Buy yourself a Retrode with some of the savings.

I use mine to play the odd fan translation or homebrew remix, and transfer my real cart saves to the everdrive to play outside my house.

(Not taking my real SNES games over to friends houses or on long trips... But I'll gladly transfer my saves to an Everdrive and take that)

I don't know... I've sort of been holding out on getting a SNES flashcart exactly because the compatibility with enhancement chips hasn't been great. The Everdrive looks pretty decent though, but the SD2SNES really does look like the ultimate solution.

No it's not. It's in stock at retrogate. The site is owned by krikzz, who assembles the sd2snes. It ships from Ukraine, so there's like a 1-2 week wait after ordering.
Actually it was out of stock at retrogate when I posted that. I contacted them asking when they would get it in stock again and they emailed me back and said it was back in stock almost immediately.

I'm from Sweden and I get most of my games from Tradera.com as I've mentioned. You have to be patient and wait for actual auctions though, because Buy It Now prices are ridiculous. Unfortunately a lot of sellers only ship inside Sweden obviously, but as you're just in Finland which is close by I think most sellers would be ok with that if you email them before bidding. But sadly prices in general have increased the last year or so quite a lot even on Tradera so it gets harder and harder to get something for what you think it's worth paying. E: And NTSC games are definitely a lot cheaper on Tradera in general, unless the game didn't come out in Europe.

My Mega Ma X2 that went to Washington for some reason was supposed to arrive today, and didn't. It left a town an hour away from me just before 5AM. So, maybe tomorrow.

First-class mail, six days (I hope) to get from South Carolina to Illinois. I am 730 miles from where it shipped from, but in the end it will have traveled 4,988 miles.

The fuck, USPS?

Be glad you might be getting it, I've had several stuff not even arrive to me and get lost in the USPS vortex of suck.

Glad you liked then. Will do some new this weekend.

Top Bottom