• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Don't forget NWA

tumblr_m3vfhrjWQO1qd4q8ao1_1280.jpg

D.Lo

I thought Super Double Dragon was kind of slow and crap.
it's got a low framerate, but the best martial arts gameplay, Methodical, strategic combos. And an awesome early 90s action movie vibe.

It also has nice smooth move animation unlike the vast majority of 16 but beat em ups. Final Fight etc are choppy messes, animation wise.

Oh wow I got the Japanese version of Batman Returns, and it is 100% in English. It appears there is no Japanese in the game at all.

Which is cool it has some very nice cinemas and dat ending
YOU ARE THE TRUE DARK KNIGHT

Second best SNES beat em up after Return of Double Dragon.

How difficult to find is return of double dragon? Even SFC is fine.

D.Lo

SFC is better because they actually bothered to finish the game, otherwise enjoy no intro or ending.
Ha, never knew the western version was gimped.

Even the Japanese one is fairly bare bones. Solid-ass fighting mechanics tho, and great animation, I always smile at the nunchuck style in it.

Bakkus

For people who have played any of these 'Japan only but fan translated' games, what are your impressions of them?

BS Zelda
Magical Pop N
Bahamut Lagoon
Live a Live
Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy
Dragon Quest 1 & 2
Dragon Quest 3
Emerald Dragoon
Famicom Detective Club Part 2
Fire Emblem: Genealogy Of The Holy War
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Treasure Hunter G
Treasure of the Rudras

IrishNinja

Natsume really needs a greatest hits/collection disc one day

also: anyone know if there's a loading speed difference between Super Everdrive 1 & 2?

Don't forget NWA

haha is that what Ninja Warriors was called in japan? struggled to get that game for like $30 years ago, this hawaiian dude sold me what's still the roughest looking label of my library but it plays great & i don't even wanna know what it goes for now

I thought Super Double Dragon was kind of slow and crap.

yeah rented it in the day & this was my takeaway too, never did play DD/battletoads though

For people who have played any of these 'Japan only but fan translated' games, what are your impressions of them?

BS Zelda

i have SMT 1 & 2 as well as Bahamut but haven't really given them a go yet (or Seiken Densetsu III now that i think about it), but BS Zelda felt like the Mario All-Stars remake of Zelda 1 - some changes aren't gonna be for everyone, but all classic Zelda fans should give it a go one day

haha is that what Ninja Warriors was called in japan? struggled to get that game for like $30 years ago, this hawaiian dude sold me what's still the roughest looking label of my library but it plays great & i don't even wanna know what it goes for now
Yeah, it actually plays a little different because it has an additional enemy type. Also there's blood (but it's green).

Huggers

Just nabbed Yoshi's Island boxed for £30. In absolutely lovely condition. Missing it's manual so I'll have to try to track one down but well happy with that deal

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hey guys, just finished through a quick playthrough of Ghost Sweeper Mikami, an absolutely charming action platformer for Super Famicom. Anyone play this one before? It's really short and easy, but it kept a smile on my face the whole time.

Full impression located in the "GAF Plays... 31 Nights of Horror 3" thread here

Just completed this as well, pretty decent game, although a bit too short and easy for my taste. But well worth owning and playing for sure!

AmyS

My contribution to this thread today: previews of two of the system's best early games, from EGM's segment; The Super Famicom Times - EGM #24 July 1991.

iR3aPvQ.jpg

F8Wdyyi.jpg

Morfeo

Got Vampire's Kiss and fired it up for the first time today. I know it cant match the PC-Engine original, but its been more than five years since I played that, and treated on its own terms, this game is pretty great!

Edit: Btw, what is peoples opinion on Secret of Mana? Is it playable alone, or do you need to do it in mp?

Teknoman

Is that a different Medusa boss sprite?

On SoM, its perfectly fine single player, but play it with at least one other person if possible. Always more fun to share an adventure imo.

Kinda what I miss about new mmos and all the instancing / fast travel.

IrishNinja

nobody here fucks with everdrives?

i keep eyeing the super everdrive 2 board, figure already owning mario kart & pilotwings, i'm okay without a DSP chip. thoughts?

-KRS-

Is Arthur throwing three arrows in that middle picture? And is that homing arrows in the bottom left one?? I don't remember that from the game.

Morfeo

Secret of Mana is pretty disappointing so far. The action-part of it seriously sucks, so many enemy attacks that are unavoidable, terrible AI for your companions, and yeah, in general very slow. Hope it gets better, at least it looks and sound superb!

Morfeo

Yeah, its definitely cool they made that option, now I constantly have to guard my companions so that they dont die (and thus loose leveling progression I guess), Stuck at the huge Fire Dwarf pretty early in the game right now, I enter the room, it starts to chain attacks on me, and I cant even move. And since the AI is stupid and keeps following me, his attacks will always hit all three characters at once. It seems they never quite decided if they were going to make a normal turn based rpg were attacks are unavoidable, or an action-rpg as they ended up with. As an action-rpg, its just nowhere near stuff like Soul Blazer or even the similarily disappointing Crusader of Centy.

Edit: And the hit detection is just fucking atrocious lol. It seems to be there simply are a lot of situations where you cant hit, or maybe there are evade-ratings to watch for? Anyways, goes against all normal actio-rpg rules.

Teknoman

lol yeah, I havent had the chance to finish my co-op run. But I think we yelled at each other more than anything (in good spirits of course). "Hit it!" "I did but it wont take!" "Move over to the side then hit it" "Damn it, you do it!" lol.

Secret of Mana mostly prides itself on music and art. Now I havent played SD3 yet, so maybe thats better action. Legend of Mana has the same problem.

EDIT: I think there is some kinda accuracy / evasion factor going on in the game that isnt mentioned. Or its semi-turn based in a way. You cant just spam attacks ala Ys or Zelda.

Gotta confess, I wasn't really feeling Secret of Mana when I got around to it in 2010. Loved the graphics and sound, but the actual gameplay? Waiting an arbitrary amount of time to be able to use your weapon again (and not just weakly swinging it around to do 1HP damage) didn't feel good to me at all. Worse, apparently the accepted "correct" way to play the game is to spam magic so the bosses/enemies can't attack back worth a damn. Haven't gone back to try it since learning that, but if the correct way to play the game is to cheese it because physical attacks are worthless...

Gotta confess, I wasn't really feeling Secret of Mana when I got around to it in 2010. Loved the graphics and sound, but the actual gameplay? Waiting an arbitrary amount of time to be able to use your weapon again (and not just weakly swinging it around to do 1HP damage) didn't feel good to me at all. Worse, apparently the accepted "correct" way to play the game is to spam magic so the bosses/enemies can't attack back worth a damn. Haven't gone back to try it since learning that, but if the correct way to play the game is to cheese it because physical attacks are worthless...

It didn't age well, unlike the vast majority of snes hits.

You're not alone in that view. If it wasn't a square rpg it wouldn't have gotten the attention it did.

But if you played it back in 1995, you'll still love its quirks today :)

Terranigma > Mana

But look how few of us knew about terranigma.

Top Bottom