• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally got the flying dragon in Secret of Mana, which was pretty cool, will be very fun to explore the world tomorrow! Magic-spam still destroys all bosses though.

IrishNinja

The sticker is a warning not to pull out the cart while the system is on since they removed the hook that used to keep you from doing that. No idea why they did that since no one should ever want to pull out a cart while the system is on anyway.

hah - do you remember GamePro having an entire sub-section of their tips for cart pull-out stuff? level selects, invincibility etc and all you gotta do is potentially damage your shit, it was brilliant

even as a kid i wasn't doing that

Peagles

hah - do you remember GamePro having an entire sub-section of their tips for cart pull-out stuff? level selects, invincibility etc and all you gotta do is potentially damage your shit, it was brilliant

even as a kid i wasn't doing that

Oh great now I'm gonna have nightmares about the time I tried the crooked cartridge trick on Ocarina of Time. The sound it made gave me the willies and I turned the 64 off and ran to the other end of the house yelling, lol.

The sticker is a warning not to pull out the cart while the system is on since they removed the hook that used to keep you from doing that. No idea why they did that since no one should ever want to pull out a cart while the system is on anyway.

Huh. Never knew about this as a "tell" for later revisions. Interesting.

Cheerilee

Huh. Never knew about this as a "tell" for later revisions. Interesting.

Yep. The SNES carts originally had a notch in them, and when you turned on the system a tab would lock the cart in place, that way you couldn't yank the cart out while the power was on.

A few years later, they changed the notch in the carts to a sloped ramp, so if you yanked on the cart while the power was on, it would push the tab and might turn off the power (it really wasn't designed to do that).

Then they deleted the tab mechanism from SNES hardware units, and put a sticker onto the unit saying "Don't yank the carts!"

It's anecdotal hearsay, but when my brother's first SNES died, we brought it into Nintendo of Canada's HQ for repairs, and they swapped it for a brand new unit that had the sticker. My brother asked what the sticker was about, and the guy behind the counter said that some asshole patent troll had patented the tab-and-slot lockout, so Nintendo was modifying/discontinuing that safety feature as a way to avoid/minimize the payout.

It's anecdotal hearsay, but when my brother's first SNES died, we brought it into Nintendo of Canada's HQ for repairs, and they swapped it for a brand new unit that had the sticker. My brother asked what the sticker was about, and the guy behind the counter said that some asshole patent troll had patented the tab-and-slot lockout, so Nintendo was modifying/discontinuing that safety feature as a way to avoid/minimize the payout.
Would explain why only the Japanese Mega Drive has such a feature, while the European one and North American Genesis do not.

IrishNinja

Oh great now I'm gonna have nightmares about the time I tried the crooked cartridge trick on Ocarina of Time. The sound it made gave me the willies and I turned the 64 off and ran to the other end of the house yelling, lol.

haha! see i debated it on a few hard-ass games but that would've traumatized me

Would explain why only the Japanese Mega Drive has such a feature, while the European one and North American Genesis do not.

oh for real? never knew that one had it

IrishNinja

also: finally ordered a super everdrive board! really can't wait to dive into the SFC library to see what gems i've missed.

ive got most of the fan translations for RPGs, any others or popular hacks/prototypes to look for?

IrishNinja

i went super everdive 2.0 - less than half the price and the short list of games you miss out on are stuff i already have or don't feel worth it for me (Star Ocean, SF Alpha 2 etc). instant loading is cool, but a few seconds doesn't really bother me...now, if it had save states like the mega everdrive, that would've pushed me over

basically, look at the list of games the SD2SNES plays vs the Super and decide if the price is worth it for you!

BTails

also: finally ordered a super everdrive board! really can't wait to dive into the SFC library to see what gems i've missed.

ive got most of the fan translations for RPGs, any others or popular hacks/prototypes to look for?

Clock Tower, Clock Tower, Clock Tower. By far one of the best experiences on a SFC. Play at night, with a whisky to calm your nerves.

IrishNinja

Clock Tower, Clock Tower, Clock Tower. By far one of the best experiences on a SFC. Play at night, with a whisky to calm your nerves.

god, bummed i didn't make this my halloween game...gonna be honest, i'm tempted to hold off till next october. i'm still trying to beat Sweet Home from a few years back as my favorite of the season!

i went super everdive 2.0 - less than half the price and the short list of games you miss out on are stuff i already have or don't feel worth it for me (Star Ocean, SF Alpha 2 etc). instant loading is cool, but a few seconds doesn't really bother me...now, if it had save states like the mega everdrive, that would've pushed me over

basically, look at the list of games the SD2SNES plays vs the Super and decide if the price is worth it for you!
The MSU support is quite the reason imho. Still thinking about getting one someday heh..

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
12312201_10153780251651465_1189895227_n.jpg

I just got it today.

12312074_10153780512691465_681720033_n.jpg

I need to look into some type of restoration. I bought brand new AV/Power cords.

dubc35

Greetings SNES-Gaf, I rearranged my basement recently and decided to hook up the SNES (#PissYellow) for some Super Metroid action. Also playing NBA Live '96 (loved the Live series this gen).

Temp setup (Gilmore Girls is the wifey's lol):

My "collection." Attention 14 year old self: I am disappoint. Why all sports?

[edit] sorry, the photo was much less blurry on the phone prior to upload

Morfeo

Finally at the Mana fortress in my ongoing adventure in Secret of Mana, which I guess is the last dungeon? Anyways, this game has still been really easy after I discovered the spam-magic-to-destroy-bosses early on, and I still havent had to grind, but I guess that happens now? Anyways, I am playing it more like a regular turn-based rpg now, and with that mindset I guess the game is slightly better, although its still quite disappointing. The music and graphics just keeps getting better though. Hopefully will have time to finish it this week!

Edit: Btw, am I right in thinking that leveling up the weapon levels only lets you recharge them more? Doesnt really seem to increase damage done.

Morfeo

^wait, really? i always thought leveling weapons did increase damage, damn
and i recall loving the shit out of one of the final dungeon themes too, gotta look it up now

Leveling magic definitely does, so it kinda makes sense, but upgrading the weapons with orbs increase the damage, and i dont feel increasing weapon level does - which should make it slightly less important to do i guess.

psylah

12312201_10153780251651465_1189895227_n.jpg

I just got it today.

12312074_10153780512691465_681720033_n.jpg

I need to look into some type of restoration. I bought brand new AV/Power cords.

First, don't underestimate the power of just soap and water. Should get rid of a lot of that grime.

Second, if you want to de-yellow, look for some of this:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SLNCAR63,default,pd.html#q=salon+care+developer&start=2

I applied this stuff to the shell with a brush and within half an hour (it unfortunately dries out quickly, keep an eye on it) it was doing the trick.

Here's my before and after.

If you're looking to try this, ask for some safety tips. Hydrogen peroxide can bleach skin.

dubc35

Amazing results on cleaning up those consoles! I may have to try it out with my SNES.

You have Super Metroid. Your 14 year old self gets an automatic pass.
also this
Ha, thanks. It is a fun game. I liked the original on NES too (I think I still have the cart).

I was pondering dumping a boatload of cash into Earthbound or Chrono Trigger but I (like many others) can't justify it. I will probably buy CT on DS though. I've tried to play it in the past (terrible PS1 port, loading times anyone?) and only got a couple hours in before stopping. Given my lack of gaming time the DS may be better suited for me right now.

Some people dislike the aspect ratio of the DS version compared to the original. I however didn't care, the suspend mode and play anywhere makes it worth it to me.

dubc35

Some people dislike the aspect ratio of the DS version compared to the original. I however didn't care, the suspend mode and play anywhere makes it worth it to me.
I saw that in one the threads I was looking at on here (forgot which LTTP one it was since there are a few). I don't think it would bother me since I never played it on SNES and it's been years since I tried the ps1 port.

Good thing about CT is it's only about 25 hrs long to do everything. Definitely an RPG that is finishable by most people.
Yep, shorter is in some cases better for me. No way I could dive into Fallout 4 or something like that right now, lol.

IrishNinja

Leveling magic definitely does, so it kinda makes sense, but upgrading the weapons with orbs increase the damage, and i dont feel increasing weapon level does - which should make it slightly less important to do i guess.

Ah right right - wait doesn't weapon level just affect your combo meter, or am I remembering that wrong?

Amazing results on cleaning up those consoles! I may have to try it out with my SNES.

Ha, thanks. It is a fun game. I liked the original on NES too (I think I still have the cart).

I was pondering dumping a boatload of cash into Earthbound or Chrono Trigger but I (like many others) can't justify it. I will probably buy CT on DS though. I've tried to play it in the past (terrible PS1 port, loading times anyone?) and only got a couple hours in before stopping. Given my lack of gaming time the DS may be better suited for me right now.

I love SNES/SFC collecting too but there's no way I'm paying more than $40 for a game.

Earthbound is a tough one to find obviously, but CT, FF6, and Super Mario RPG should all be bought on Wii VC. $50 Wii + $20 for all these games. Hooks up next to your ancient SNES too :)

I truly believe these are the definitive versions of these games, mostly because you don't need that super precise snes controller like you would for a platformer or brawler. You can get away with a Wii classic controller. And they all run at a perfect speed.

Now if you're really ambitious could get a U for Earthbound.

Morfeo

I love SNES/SFC collecting too but there's no way I'm paying more than $40 for a game.

Lol, I used to say this too. Now I own Hagane, Wild Guns, Gimmick, Little Samson, Super Aleste, Shining Force 3 and tons more of the expensive stuff. Its hard to keep off those games when you know they are that great.

Ah right right - wait doesn't weapon level just affect your combo meter, or am I remembering that wrong?

Weapon levels two ways, by orbs and by using them. The first increase damage, the second increase charging capabilities (which is not that important).

Anyways, I just finally beat this game:

And I will say that I have mellowed a little bit on it. I still think the action-mechanics are completely terribly thought out and even worse executed, and that the bosses are all complete pushovers (or almost impossible if you dont spam magic). However, as I wrote earlier, if you simply start thinking about the game in traditional turn-based terms, it works much better: All encounters are "random", they are pushovers, they take some time, you dont really need to concentrate a lot, just hit the attack command every few seconds to wipe them. Them when you meet the boss, you need to concentrate a bit more, use your other abilities, and hopefully not run out of stocks like magic-items etc.

I will also say that this game is not grindy. Like at all. I did die a few times before I learnt how to properly tackle the bosses, but dont think I have had that happen since the Fire Giygas which is in like the second dungeon in the game - and I have not grinded at all. The game is also decent at forcing you to level up all spells through the variation in bosses - which comes in handy late game. You often enter them with an underleveled magic, but you will still mostly have enough stockpiles to be able to level up at the boss itself - and thus eventually doing serious damage on him. All when your spells, while not doing damage for a while, still stuns him so you wont really have to care about the girl or the hero for the remained of the battle. Money for equipment is also plentiful, making it almost pointless since I was always able to buy everything I wanted.

The good parts are definitely the music and presentation, which is simply amazing and among the best ever in both regards imo. And the multiplayer as well, but unfortunately, I wasnt able to try that much (but I have done the first few dungeons in mp before, about 7 years ago, which was fun). And I guess also the story somewhat, while shallow, still tackles very big subjects and killing off characters close to the hero four years before Aerith made a big deal about it.

So all in all, a great looking game and a decent adventure worth playing for those of us who love gaming history. Just be prepared for some initial frustration over all the stupid design decisions. If I had to score it, it would probably be slightly above 5 of 10.

Teknoman

Earthbound is a tough one to find obviously, but CT, FF6, and Super Mario RPG should all be bought on Wii VC. $50 Wii + $20 for all these games. Hooks up next to your ancient SNES too :)

I truly believe these are the definitive versions of these games, mostly because you don't need that super precise snes controller like you would for a platformer or brawler. You can get away with a Wii classic controller. And they all run at a perfect speed.

Now if you're really ambitious could get a U for Earthbound.

To be fair...60 bucks should be max unless you never buy current gen games at launch. Especially when some of the games for past gen systems *if in really good shape of course* are much better than some of the stuff we get today.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm done paying crazy money for any retro games. I was close to paying £130 for a CIB of Chrono Trigger but I got outbid and I only realised how thankful I was after I lost the bid. I'll still keep an eye out for good deals on Gumtree and flea markets but I've realised there's always other ways to play these games like Virtual Console and I just can't justify paying over £50 for any retro games anymore. Even SNES consoles on ebay are now going for around £60 to £80. They used to go on sale in Gamestation for £30 back in the day. Don't get me started on Multi Megas.

To be fair...60 bucks should be max unless you never buy current gen games at launch. Especially when some of the games for past gen systems *if in really good shape of course* are much better than some of the stuff we get today.

Good point. I generally don't buy current gen games at launch unless it was a big preorder discount (eg in Canada we have e3 week 30% off pre order sales). That said, you're right, so many snes games are better than current gen content. Paid $25 for Tetris/Dr Mario recently. No regrets :)

I'm done paying crazy money for any retro games. I was close to paying £130 for a CIB of Chrono Trigger but I got outbid and I only realised how thankful I was after I lost the bid. I'll still keep an eye out for good deals on Gumtree and flea markets but I've realised there's always other ways to play these games like Virtual Console and I just can't justify paying over £50 for any retro games anymore. Even SNES consoles on ebay are now going for around £60 to £80. They used to go on sale in Gamestation for £30 back in the day. Don't get me started on Multi Megas.

Aside from importing SFC games, VC is the next best value, no doubt. Especially for stuff like CT, you can get the definitive version via VC plus like 10 additional games on the VC, for the price of one CT cart. And for JRPGs you don't need that ultra precise control nor the appeal of instant "plug and play" (after all, if you're turning on CT you're probably commited to playing for an hour), and so the cart version of JRPGs is not a preferred option.

I was looking at a retro video game store and found Super Turrican in great shape for 15$.

It's selling around 35$ according to price chart, so I considered that a good steal and bought it.

Ultra good deal!!!! Finding part two is really difficult.

Yea this isn't the first time I caught that store slipping, which is why I keep going back.

As for part 2, I can see why that one is so pricy considering it came out kinda late in the SNES lifespan and is a sequel to a game that is really niche.

IrishNinja

this is me now too - all everdrives & system mods to play whatever i like, and adding favorites to a list in case i see em cheap one day when people don't care as much. no hurry, no more burning $.

Did it ever get a black box retail release?

i never saw/heard of one personally, i know my old orange copy came from a blockbuster sale

Top Bottom