• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

UNRELATED BUT I JUST PLAYED AND BEAT SUPER METROID FOR THE FIRST TIME.

I feel I have cleansed myself of an ungodly sin. What a ride. I loved the game from start to finish. The item progression and how it all ties into the levels. How when you get a new item you go " oh shit... I know where I can go now" and you back track. Its design is the definition of perfection. It took me a while to get used to the floaty jumps but once you get the hang of it the gameplay is great. Graphics are great. Sfx are great. Music is amazing.

Great game top to bottom.

Agreed! I just beat this game for the first time over the summer and loved it, by way of VC. Metroid Fusion is another good one if you haven't played it yet.

I used RF for everything up through the GameCube, on a TV whose only input was RF. And it cut off a fairly big part of the left side of the screen, too (like, you couldn't see the life icon in Sonic Adventure). And the GameCube was on an unofficial cable which noticeably distorted out the audio at points.

Not entirely sure when I upgraded to composite, but it was before the Wii. Then I came across the upscaler page and learned of the joys of RGB... and settled for S-Video and component instead. Didn't move up to RGB SCART until like two years ago, when I moved out of my parents' basement into my own condo.

I do miss one thing about RF, though: you could just daisy chain the cables into one input, no switches needed.

I remember using RF for a good while before upgrading to a TV with composite cables around the time Wii came out.

Upgraded to S-Video cables for SNES, N64, Saturn and Dreamcast, though I may need to look into getting some sort of S-Video -> HDMI converter since my current TV doesn't have S-Video inputs, so I have to use composite.

Huggers

Being in the UK we got to RGB quicker than a lot of places but we still used RF for a good while. Just didn't know any better as kids.

So I uploaded my Mario 2 Lost Levels play through. This games difficulty is really over hyped. It's one of the best Mario games ever made imo
https://youtu.be/LJnuQLY8C2k

I used this for my Intellivision. I had a Pong machine, I'm sure it used the same connector.
faq_switchbox_2.jpg

Used RF for my NES and composite from the Genesis all the way up to the Wii.

Being in the UK we got to RGB quicker than a lot of places but we still used RF for a good while. Just didn't know any better as kids.

So I uploaded my Mario 2 Lost Levels play through. This games difficulty is really over hyped. It's one of the best Mario games ever made imo
https://youtu.be/LJnuQLY8C2k

Nice run, Huggers. I really have not spent much time on SMB2J. You make it look dead simple. I subbed your channel.

I watched you most recent pick up vid, too. I got myself a copy of Sunset Riders for SNES just this week for $60US thanks to local Craigslist. Gotta stay vigilant on CL - you never know what will pop up.

Huggers

Nice run, Huggers. I really have not spent much time on SMB2J. You make it look dead simple. I subbed your channel.

I watched you most recent pick up vid, too. I got myself a copy of Sunset Riders for SNES just this week for $60US thanks to local Craigslist. Gotta stay vigilant on CL - you never know what will pop up.

Thanks man. That's an awesome deal you got on Sunset Riders. Badly want to play the SNES version. The Mega Drive version is pretty limited. I'm not sure Craigslist is big here. We have Gumtree but I've given up searching for stuff on there as people tend to overprice rather than under price

Agreed! I just beat this game for the first time over the summer and loved it, by way of VC. Metroid Fusion is another good one if you haven't played it yet.

I plan on playing it soon. I'm working my way through all the classic franchises I missed over the years.

I'm Taking a break from that goal to play xenoblade chronicles X then I think it'll be either links awakening Dx or metroid fusion

I was just playing through Super Mario RPG. Fighting a boss on my way to the getting the seventh (and last star) when it suddenly froze. When I restarted it my save game was gone! :eek:

I was so close to the end...

Now I need to see if I can replace the battery.

I was just playing through Super Mario RPG. Fighting a boss on my way to the getting the seventh (and last star) when it suddenly froze. When I restarted it my save game was gone! :eek:

I was so close to the end...

Now I need to see if I can replace the battery.

Battery replacement is fairly straightforward but the cost of entry (eg gamebits, battery, holder) is a bit annoying.

Aren't there battery holders you can solder on, such that you'd never have to solder to the board again, the next time the battery dies? I've got a few GBC games with dead batteries that'll need resuscitating at some point...

Electric tape? Go on...
Using electrical tape to hold a battery in place is pretty common practice. I've done it with game boy games. Unfortunately though, the battery can get jostled and come out of contact if it isn't secured super well, so its not the best solution. Can't say I really recommend it if you've got any experience whatsoever with a soldering iron

Teknoman

Well I took a crash course and fixed my SegaCD. Guess a battery couldnt be too hard. Its possible a GBC game problem though. Got an Azure Dreams that wont go past the company logos.

The electrical tape option is fine if you have no experience with soldering. Just make sure you securely apply it. If you are experienced with soldering though, there's no reason not to.

I've used electrical tape for most of my SNES & GBC games and hadn't had a problem.

Kawika

The electrical tape option is fine if you have no experience with soldering. Just make sure you securely apply it. If you are experienced with soldering though, there's no reason not to.

I've used electrical tape for most of my SNES & GBC games and hadn't had a problem.

I bought a retron for the soul purpose of save dumping. I usually back up my saves to sd, get the replacement battery and have a friend, who is better at soldering to the final step. Then I plug it back into the Retron and reload the saves. Lately, I've been stock piling these and dump the save from retron, but put them onto my everdrive/supereverdrive and then do 2-3 at a time once enough build up.

The more I do this though, the more i find I just want my carts to remain as unused as possible. Sorta like how I just sealed most of my comics and got a comic sub to read my old issues if the mood strikes me.

AAAHHH just use electrical tape. Torx bit is only a couple of dollars. The loss of the save file is more annoying.

Torx? You mean GameBit?

The loss of save file from dropping the cartridge and the tape coming loose would make it more than worth spending $10 on a soldering iron and 10 minutes watching a youtube video to learn how to solder.

Torx? You mean GameBit?

The loss of save file from dropping the cartridge and the tape coming loose would make it more than worth spending $10 on a soldering iron and 10 minutes watching a youtube video to learn how to solder.

It's the same thing, torx is a six point screw bit same as the Gambits, or security bit which is what we sell them as. Taping a Gameboy battery and dropping it is not much of an issue because it's a much tighter fit. On an SNES cart I can see this being a problem though.

Over time the glue on the electrical tape dries and the tape comes away.

I'm an elevator mechanic and I have to deal with old electrical tape all the time. Nothing makes my day more enjoyable then some wires pullin apart because some asshole decided to use tape instead of a proper electrical connector.

It's the same thing, torx is a six point screw bit same as the Gambits, or security bit which is what we sell them as. Taping a Gameboy battery and dropping it is not much of an issue because it's a much tighter fit. On an SNES cart I can see this being a problem though.

I haven't tried it but I don't think even a inverted version of torx would work on these annoying screws. The shape is all wrong:

GameBit:
Inverse version of torx:
But yeah buying a gamebit bit is pretty cheap.

Peagles

Over time the glue on the electrical tape dries and the tape comes away.

I'm an elevator mechanic and I have to deal with old electrical tape all the time. Nothing makes my day more enjoyable then some wires pullin apart because some asshole decided to use tape instead of a proper electrical connector.

Yeh, I just fixed a copy of Chrono Trigger that wasn't saving. Opened it up and the battery had juice, but had been taped in and the tape was all dry and loose. Soldered a nice new battery with tabs in there real solid like, works great now.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Yeh, I just fixed a copy of Chrono Trigger that wasn't saving. Opened it up and the battery had juice, but had been taped in and the tape was all dry and loose. Soldered a nice new battery with tabs in there real solid like, works great now.

Whoa whoa whoa... You mean to tell me that taping in the battery isn't such a great idea?

Peagles

Whoa whoa whoa... You mean to tell me that taping in the battery isn't such a great idea?

The one I just fixed had come all loose and wasn't making contact anymore. The tape was okay around the battery itself but it wasn't holding the tabs against the battery in order to make any actual connection. I got it second hand so it must have dried up over time.

The one I just fixed had come all loose and wasn't making contact anymore. The tape was okay around the battery itself but it wasn't holding the tabs against the battery in order to make any actual connection. I got it second hand so it must have dried up over time.

I'm pretty sure he was being facetious lol

Really? Looking at ebay there's a lot more copies of P&R2 than 1 and they're cheaper. I guess there are a bunch of repro carts but all of them?

The only way pr2 is cheaper would be a repro. Pr1 averages about $100 cart only vs. $200 for pr2. CIB is $250 vs. $750. Pocky and rocky 2 is considered a rare title (r7) vs the first being average at r5.

IrishNinja

so, my Super Everdrive 2 came in! booted Run Saber just fine (cause why not?), followed by...failure to erase that ROM and load others. failed the self-test too...got the board to reset its settings, rain into the same errors. so bummed!

on its way back to Ukraine now, hope it's here again before uh, spring. Ive got so much to mess with, but i gotta say: loading times on my Mega & ED64 spoiled me, this one takes a bit. almost makes the SD2SNES worth it, if the damn thing wasn't over twice the price, haha.

NR1

A292E325-FAC3-46B9-8E25-01B2CC530FAF.jpg

My local Half Price Books got in a ton of great games this weekend on multiple platforms, including Mega Man Soccer on the SNES for $40!

Saroyan

My local Half Price Books got in a ton of great games this weekend on multiple platforms, including Mega Man Soccer on the SNES for $40!

Someone should tell them not to put price stickers on the frickin labels.
The Half Price Books I go to hasn't had any interesting games for a long time, I did get a copy of Mega Man 6 there for $25 a couple years ago.

Someone should tell them not to put price stickers on the frickin labels.
The Half Price Books I go to hasn't had any interesting games for a long time, I did get a copy of Mega Man 6 there for $25 a couple years ago.

Well in their defense those price guns stickers will not stay attached to the plastic. It's not much effort to remove them from the label.

I was going to say that is a crap price for SWBF2 but I just checked and on average it goes for $60 haha wtf.

Bar81

so, my Super Everdrive 2 came in! booted Run Saber just fine (cause why not?), followed by...failure to erase that ROM and load others. failed the self-test too...got the board to reset its settings, rain into the same errors. so bummed!

Sounds like hardware with impeccable taste. I'd give up the ghost too if someone forced me to play Run Saber.

IrishNinja

oh man, playing Super Metroid for the first time, nice!

Sounds like hardware with impeccable taste. I'd give up the ghost too if someone forced me to play Run Saber.

haha cmon now, its a Strider clone, i had to try it! but yeah, it's not awesome, turns out

I can't get anywhere in Super Metroid. Last thing I got was the heat-resistant suit, and I've only fought one boss...

It's pretty close to being my favorite game ever, but even I have to admit, some of the "secrets" are quite obnoxiously hidden. Unless you are ultra dedicated to spending your time exploring, just take a look at YouTube for the various part by part walk-throughs.

Top Bottom