• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

dubc35

Stupid ebay, I didn't plan on buying anymore SNES games for a while, lost out on a FInal Fantasy III (VI) auction so of course then bought the next one. Oh well, I have never played it more than an hour so looking forward to playing it on SNES!

Timu

Ha only played that game on Midway Arcade Treasures and it was horrible.

I can only imagine how terrible paying actual money for it must feel.
I played it on there too and it's a masterpiece compared to this version. In the SNES version:

-The controls are busted
-It's nearly impossible to beat the game with Buzz and Kato, best to use Ty
-It's missing half of the opponents from the arcade and Genesis versions
-No blood
-No weapons
-No crowd interaction
-Can only get health back on certain matches
-Only one song plays throughout the entire game
-And you only have 1 life, once your health is at 0, it's game over, you don't get a 2nd chance

Best way to beat that game is to use Ty and only punch and elbow the opponents, seriously, it's the best way to beat it.

I used to like Pit Fighter back in the day. It was on Genesis so not sure how it compares to the snes version.
The Genesis version is a million times better since it's closer to the arcade, heck it might even be better than the arcade version.

Danneee

Goddammnit, bought some SNES games from japan in late October that still haven't arrived. Several games from several sellers too, is Japan post usually this slow?

Edit: free, nontraceable shipping of course.. Seemed pointless to pay a shipping cost that's half the price of the game.

Timu

Goddammnit, bought some SNES games from japan in late October that still haven't arrived. Several games from several sellers too, is Japan post usually this slow?
Is it free or standard shipping? If so, might explain that.

I mainly use expedited for Japan.

D.Lo

The best version of Pit fighter is kind of like the best version of a dog turd sandwich. Whatever wins, you lose.

Free, the games were pretty cheap and I reasoned that less paid for shipping=more money to buy games:)
Cheap postage is usually SAL and I've had some delays on that recently. Can take 2 weeks, is currently taking 7/8 weeks.

Budget shipping is Sea, and that can take 3-4 months.

This is to Australia which is much closer too, but is likely comparable for the US.

hypotc

Bought a mint CIB of Chrono Trigger last month. It still has the original shrinkwrap on it too actually.

Goes great along side my mint Players Guide!

OG2XXpV.jpg

ok7N72b.jpg

Danneee

The best version of Pit fighter is kind of like the best version of a dog turd sandwich. Whatever wins, you lose.

Cheap postage is usually SAL and I've had some delays on that recently. Can take 2 weeks, is currently taking 7/8 weeks.

Budget shipping is Sea, and that can take 3-4 months.

This is to Australia which is much closer too, but is likely comparable for the US.

Yeah, SAL. Alright, then I know it's nothing weird with it taking a long time then.
Edit: and economy shipping, crap, that's the boat...
Edit2: or SAL, very unclear.

Cheerilee

Bought a mint CIB of Chrono Trigger last month. It still has the original shrinkwrap on it too actually.

Goes great along side my mint Players Guide!

I'm pretty sure somebody opened that box and replaced the cart with modelling clay, then re-sealed it. You better tear it open, just to make sure. :p

It's very beautiful. Congratulations.

hypotc

I'm pretty sure somebody opened that box and replaced the cart with modelling clay, then re-sealed it. You better tear it open, just to make sure. :p

It's very beautiful. Congratulations.

I didn't buy it sealed. If you look closely you can see that it is opened on the right side (Plastic is H-seam btw), and everything is legit, from box and inserts to cart PCB! :)

Don't think I'll ever own a sealed Chrono Trigger haha.

Edit: free, nontraceable shipping of course.. Seemed pointless to pay a shipping cost that's half the price of the game.

Canada here. Usually takes 20-30 days minimum for regular mail from Japan.

I only used tracked shipping once and it took just as long, 30 days.

Canada here. Usually takes 20-30 days minimum for regular mail from Japan.

I only used tracked shipping once and it took just as long, 30 days.

Also Canada, I've had anywhere from one week to just over 2 months from Japan with SAL. We get a LOT of stuff shipped from Japan.

EMS is usually quick if you're time sensitive. We've had same week deliveries with that -- sent on Tuesday (JST), arrived at our door by Friday.

IrishNinja

The Genesis version is a million times better since it's closer to the arcade, heck it might even be better than the arcade version.

oh god yes, spent way too much time with friends on that one in the day, haha...tried it again a few years back and man does it not age well. didn't know about all the stuff the SNES one dropped! its MK1 all over again

SUCK THIS

dubc35

Stupid ebay, I didn't plan on buying anymore SNES games for a while, lost out on a FInal Fantasy III (VI) auction so of course then bought the next one. Oh well, I have never played it more than an hour so looking forward to playing it on SNES!

and here! The cart is a little more grimey than the pictures lead on but oh well. I'll clean it up. Looking forward to playing it tonight!

Teknoman

You'll get em eventually. That happened to me with Metal Black and Sokyugurentai on the Saturn. Games finally came a month and a half later.

Did it ever get a black box retail release?

Not likely, most of the hardcore snes collectors seem to think it was for marketing or was about to be released in the black box before the Blockbuster deal happened and was changed to an orange box. I think there's only 4-5 copies known to exist making it a true r10 and easily the rarest box.

I'd be extremely surprised if it sold for that much.

Just finished playing through Gunpare: Gunman's Proof. It's a fun game, but very easy. Wish they had upped the difficulty a little, especially for the final bosses.

Type_Raver

Hey all, just a heads up that ive started starting to sell all my old boxed copy of Nintendo games on ebay. Games range from the orignial NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii. Some are buy now and others auction. Have a look and have a bid if youre keen. Most are PAL but i have some NTSC games as well. Most NTSC are which i have are for SNES and 1 n64. I shared a similar post in the n64 thread as well, but thought id share the love here too.

http://m.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?sid=amilic&_pgn=1&isRefine=true

Danneee

Damn Pocky & Rocky is expensive. Weird as I remember always seeing it in used games stores as a kid, it really can't be THAT rare.

IrishNinja

get ur Everdrive VGA graded, see what it goes for on the 'bay, then use that to fund Spawn

I found out that Spawn game was made by the Skyblazer cats so it's a real shame the way it turned out, lol

i may just, i printed out a cover so it's a collector's edition now, you know
and yeah, Mzo got far in it but honestly, the PSX spawn game makes it feel like a masterpiece

Teknoman

Touché:)
Really want the first P&R too, the sequel seems shorter and not as fun.

Yeah everything Natsume related is up there on SNES these days.

Well except the two Power Ranger games (which are great and have top tier soundtracks) and Spanky's Quest (fun puzzle platformer with a cool soundtrack as well).

Tiktaalik

I was thinking of digging out my SNES this Christmas to indulge in some nostalgia, plus I have this copy of Mario RPG that I picked up at a garage sale this summer that I want to try out. The main problem though is that I'm pretty sure that last time I took out my SNES the picture was pretty fuzzy and there might be a problem with my video cables or system.

I'm curious are any of the 3rd party SNES systems worth buying or should I try my luck on another Nintendo made SNES? There's a retro store in town that sells Nintendo SNES systems for about $70 and I assume they test them to ensure they're in good working order.

Cheerilee

The NES and SNES also use the same RF Adapter.

And it continues to be used all the way through the N64 and GameCube after it's paired with a little block that converts SNES/N64/GameCube's multi-out to an RF-out.

Which means that you can plug an RF adapter into your SNES, and then adapt it's multi-out to RF using that little block and plug a second RF adapter into your SNES, and now you have two RF signals coming out of your SNES! And then you can get one of those cable TV splitter/joiners and combine the two RF signals! What happens then? I don't know. I've never felt silly enough to try it.

D.Lo

I played my SNES throughout its natural life via RF. My family didn't have much money and it was the only connection our TV had. It didn't even have the normal RF plug, it had two wires and I had to get an adapter to wire it to that.

I did get a stereo cable and used that for sound output to a Stereo I got in 1995. But video remained RF.

I was happy. I got to play Link to the Past, Super Metroid etc. I did the best gaming of my life over RF.

Huggers

Yeah I played my original Mega Drive for the entirety of it's life in RF. Was never an issue. Still, it's 2015, no reason not to expect a bit more these days

Cheerilee

I played my SNES throughout its natural life via RF. My family didn't have much money and it was the only connection our TV had. It didn't even have the normal RF plug, it had two wires and I had to get an adapter to wire it to that.

I did get a stereo cable and used that for sound output to a Stereo I got in 1995. But video remained RF.

I was happy. I got to play Link to the Past, Super Metroid etc. I did the best gaming of my life over RF.

Yep, in the Atari era, my RF switches were hooked up with those two pigtails. When the NES came along, it was like "What is this new-fangled technology that this RF switch is made of? It hooks up through the Cable TV jack instead of the rabbit ears (which have become cool again thanks to over-the-air HDTV), and you don't even need to manually switch a slider between TV and Game..."

My SNES was plugged straight into the NES's RF adapter (the SNES one stayed in the box).

But by the GameCube era, Component Cables were the (unattainable) dream, and the GameCube-branded NES RF switch was mostly a source of amusement.

Familiar story here. I used to hook everything up with RF whenever possible so I could daisy chain everything instead of swapping the composite plug everytime i wanted to switch. It wasn't untill I got a 360 at launch and realized how god aweful it looked over composite that I learned there were uhh...FAR... better video connections.

Although I was always a PC kid growing up. I guess I was spoiled there with RGBhv without even knowing it.

UNRELATED BUT I JUST PLAYED AND BEAT SUPER METROID FOR THE FIRST TIME.

I feel I have cleansed myself of an ungodly sin. What a ride. I loved the game from start to finish. The item progression and how it all ties into the levels. How when you get a new item you go " oh shit... I know where I can go now" and you back track. Its design is the definition of perfection. It took me a while to get used to the floaty jumps but once you get the hang of it the gameplay is great. Graphics are great. Sfx are great. Music is amazing.

Great game top to bottom.

Mzo

NES and SNES was RF for me, as well. I finally upgraded to AV cables with the N64 and Playstation, S-video (and a sweet Wega) for Dreamcast, component for PS2 on.

Top Bottom