• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

fester

Banned
So I've been considering buying the Chrono Trigger box/manual to go with my cart, but the prices I've seen so far have been a tough pill to swallow. $100+ for a few pieces of paper and cardboard that I used to own as a kid. Ugh. So much regret over not keeping track of CT stuff as well as the box/manual/map/poster for Secret of Mana. I'd tell kids to not make the same mistake today, but it seems most games these days don't even come with anything to throw out in the first place. :/

So I've been considering buying the Chrono Trigger box/manual to go with my cart, but the prices I've seen so far have been a tough pill to swallow. $100+ for a few pieces of paper and cardboard that I used to own as a kid. Ugh. So much regret over not keeping track of CT stuff as well as the box/manual/map/poster for Secret of Mana. I'd tell kids to not make the same mistake today, but it seems most games these days don't even come with anything to throw out in the first place. :/

While it's obviously fun collecting, try to not get too hung up on "having it all". It's not worth it. Like you said, it's just cardboard and paper. The game is what counts.

The fun is finding the rare gem at a reasonable price. Eventually things reach a point where it's worth to sell if you have it (eg carts reaching $150+) and simply stop buying. Especially now there's good versions of CT, Earthbound, Demons crest in the Wii eShop.

Certainly having the original cart is sweet. But there has to be a tipping point as well.

Back in the day (2006) I sold a CIB CT and FF6 for enough money to buy a 360. Totally was worth it. That was the tipping point on price-value. Have a 360 or a couple of boxes sitting on my shelf?

fester

Banned
While it's obviously fun collecting, try to not get too hung up on "having it all". It's not worth it. Like you said, it's just cardboard and paper. The game is what counts.

The fun is finding the rare gem at a reasonable price. Eventually things reach a point where it's worth to sell if you have it (eg carts reaching $150+) and simply stop buying. Especially now there's good versions of CT, Earthbound, Demons crest in the Wii eShop.

Certainly having the original cart is sweet. But there has to be a tipping point as well.

Back in the day (2006) I sold a CIB CT and FF6 for enough money to buy a 360. Totally was worth it. That was the tipping point on price-value. Have a 360 or a couple of boxes sitting on my shelf?

Good points all around. The hardest part for me are when the games have distinct childhood memories attached to them. For CT, it's the game I played for hours and hours with my brother - the cart I have still has our original save file. The Final Fantasy II that my dad bought for me in a Toys-R-Us randomly one day is something I still have CIB. (And back then, it was incredibly rare if I received a SNES game outside of Christmas or birthdays.) My wife shakes her head at all the boxes on the shelves, but in some ways I think they keep me connected to my younger self. That's gotta be worth something, but I start to question the logic of that when I look at current-day eBay prices.

It's pretty close to being my favorite game ever, but even I have to admit, some of the "secrets" are quite obnoxiously hidden. Unless you are ultra dedicated to spending your time exploring, just take a look at YouTube for the various part by part walk-throughs.

There were some that made me scratch my head as well. Like how the fuck would I ever find that without spending hours examining everything with the X-ray.

God bless YouTube

Peltz

There were some that made me scratch my head as well. Like how the fuck would I ever find that without spending hours examining everything with the X-ray.

God bless YouTube
I'm still finding stuff on my 5th or 6th playthrough. I haven't even broken 70% completion on this game. It's the best feeling when you discover another hidden little thing.

Good points all around. The hardest part for me are when the games have distinct childhood memories attached to them. For CT, it's the game I played for hours and hours with my brother - the cart I have still has our original save file. The Final Fantasy II that my dad bought for me in a Toys-R-Us randomly one day is something I still have CIB. (And back then, it was incredibly rare if I received a SNES game outside of Christmas or birthdays.) My wife shakes her head at all the boxes on the shelves, but in some ways I think they keep me connected to my younger self. That's gotta be worth something, but I start to question the logic of that when I look at current-day eBay prices.

I agree :) got versions of the ninja turtles games on NES and snes that cost me nearly $100 as it was such fond memories from the past.

That said, you can also keep connected with your past by getting posters or pics of your favorite games for the wall or shelf. Lots of fan art out there too. Much cheaper but looks just as cool. (Turtles arcade game cover GOAT)

Pro tip 2: get CIB version of CT from Japan (eBay). It'll cost under $20 and has the most amazing box art. Same with the FF games.

Maybe this is also a product of aging, but you may actually eventually get bored of CT (one of my all time favs too). Another play through of CT is cool, but you may also be missing out on current classics in the making! There's a whole thread on the love for the FFX remaster and FF7 port to PS4.

Plus other less known snes RPGs you should play too, illusion of Gaia, terranigma, heck even an action adventure like super castlevania :)

Ultimately your favs are (luckily) ported well to the eshop so they ain't going anywhere :)

At my parents house for Christmas, and I decided to take my SNES with me since I knew they had an old CRT lying around there.

SNES Composite looks far better than I remember on a CRT, wow. Shame I don't have room for a decent sized one at my place. I decided that I'm gonna run through some of the Capcom/Disney games I have lying around here for SNES/NES just for fun and to relive those childhood Christmas memories.

At my parents house for Christmas, and I decided to take my SNES with me since I knew they had an old CRT lying around there.

SNES Composite looks far better than I remember on a CRT, wow. Shame I don't have room for a decent sized one at my place. I decided that I'm gonna run through some of the Capcom/Disney games I have lying around here for SNES/NES just for fun and to relive those childhood Christmas memories.

Agreed. I have my SNES going through composite in a crt and it looks really good. My Genesis however looked like crap so I upgraded to rgb.

TeaJay

Is the SFC version of Whirlo (Sandora no Daibouken) playable without knowing Japanese? Looks like a fun game, but the PAL version prices are outta this world.

On an lcd most things old gen look crappy but composite in particular looks bad, blurry even. S-video on LCD is great though, very sharp and bright, though my super famicom is noticeably darker than my retro trio.

On a related note, lost my snes Jr to mechanical failure. Tested the switch, the fuse, AC connector, and nothing happening. Simply won't turn on. I read the IC chip can malfunction sometimes. Too bad.

Teknoman

Is the SFC version of Whirlo (Sandora no Daibouken) playable without knowing Japanese? Looks like a fun game, but the PAL version prices are outta this world.

I think it is. Havent delved into it much, but it seems like the only JP knowledge is if you want to read cutscenes.

clem84

Gold Member
Hoy shit Timewalk games are worth a fortune.

Star Ocean SNES

I had no idea they went up in value like that. I have a few of their repros that I wasn't planning on getting rid of but now, it's tempting...

Olly88

Yeah I've got it and it's perfectly playable. There's a part in one level where you have to speak to someone and select an option a couple of times, but if you just tap A a few times you'll get past it no problem. Apart from that I can't think of anything else where you need to read anything.

On the subject of that game, I love this music from it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjoLNYGUyzQ

Yeah, the language barrier is minimal at best. I wish the game was better, though... I mean, it's alright, but it's got nothing on Legend of Valkyrie on the TG16 (PCE)! I know Namco has rarely been known for great platformers, Klonoa aside, but still... I don't know, I got the game sometime within the past year and was a bit disappointed. It's alright but average, I think.

Peltz

Hoy shit Timewalk games are worth a fortune.

Star Ocean SNES

I had no idea they went up in value like that. I have a few of their repros that I wasn't planning on getting rid of but now, it's tempting...

Who is paying +300 for reproductions? I don't care how much they're selling for on eBay, they are really not "worth" that.

They're still fake. And this is coming from someone who owns a few reproduction games.

Bar81

Who is paying +300 for reproductions? I don't care how much they're selling for on eBay, they are really not "worth" that.

They're still fake. And this is coming from someone who owns a few reproduction games.

That is some of the dumbest shit I've seen. Bootleg games - just make a fake box and manual and the idiots will line up.

Teknoman

Yeah I can understand people making boxes and manuals for repros...but i'd say maybe paying someone 50 bucks max for those services is fair. After that, its just crazy.

I mean, i'm the first guy that'll say to grab an SFC cart of a JP exclusive rpg, and have it translated by a repro person for a fee...but paying that much for any repro?

The repro market puts a bad taste in my mouth. Not because of repros themselves, but the mark up is insane. I can't help but feel it preys on the ignorant.

D.Lo

The repro market puts a bad taste in my mouth. Not because of repros themselves, but the mark up is insane. I can't help but feel it preys on the ignorant.
Yeah my feelings too.

The cheaper options are somewhat legit, especially if they're for things not available otherwise physically (like rom hack sequels). They allow people to experience something in a way they otherwise could not.

The expensive repros? Who the fuck are these people making massive profit margins when they didn't develop the original game, or the rom hack/fan translation, or even in most cases the art they print on the label and box. THAT is profiteering piracy of the worst kind.

Yeah my feelings too.

The cheaper options are somewhat legit, especially if they're for things not available otherwise physically (like rom hack sequels). They allow people to experience something in a way they otherwise could not.

The expensive repros? Who the fuck are these people making massive profit margins when they didn't develop the original game, or the rom hack/fan translation, or even in most cases the art they print on the label and box. THAT is profiteering piracy of the worst kind.
Still remember that RCG starfox repro for like 300$ new or whatever. I was so floored they thought that was fine

RexRogers

Neo Member
So what are people's SNES collecting goals for the new year? I have a few select titles that I have left to pick up, which will bring my collection to about 45 and represents what I consider to be the cream of the crop. I'll be looking in more than a passive sense, but I'm not going to spend big bucks to have them immediately. I love getting deals. So what do I want?

Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Chronotrigger
Mega Man 7
Super Street Fighter Alpha 2
Final Fight 2
Earthworm Jim (I may pick this up for the Genesis)

And then of course whatever I might run across that catches my fancy.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Hey I'm just asking a question I'm thinking of buying earthbound CIB for £600 but.. It's from America I always import snes games from the USA I'm used to paying import for like £15 tax but not like this

The sale is not displaying import tax. I am wondering if I buy it will I be billed later on or does import tax not apply for this? Just wondering. Thanks

Chomposaur

Neo Member
So what are people's SNES collecting goals for the new year? I have a few select titles that I have left to pick up, which will bring my collection to about 45 and represents what I consider to be the cream of the crop. I'll be looking in more than a passive sense, but I'm not going to spend big bucks to have them immediately. I love getting deals. So what do I want?

Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Chronotrigger
Mega Man 7
Final Fight 2

In looking to purchase all Nintendo published CIB games. I have 11 so far

I have my eye on kirbys dream course, super Mario all stars and super Mario kart

Olly88

Hey I'm just asking a question I'm thinking of buying earthbound CIB for £600 but.. It's from America I always import snes games from the USA I'm used to paying import for like £15 tax but not like this

The sale is not displaying import tax. I am wondering if I buy it will I be billed later on or does import tax not apply for this? Just wondering. Thanks

According to this site, the import tax will be £120, so £720 in total.

Edit: Though I estimated £0 for the shipping cost, so assuming they aren't offering free shipping it'll be a bit more.

Olly88

But it's not listed on the sale will I still have to pay it?

Well you might get lucky and the parcel might not get stopped by customs, but unless you've already paid for it upfront via something like eBay's Global Shipping program, then it will be eligible to have tax paid if it is checked.

There's one on eBay UK for £520, BTW.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Well you might get lucky and the parcel might not get stopped by customs, but unless you've already paid for it upfront via something like eBay's Global Shipping program, then it will be eligible to have tax paid if it is checked.

There's one on eBay UK for £520, BTW.

Yeah I am watching that one it's not in the best condition. If I'm spending £500-600 on a video game in want it in better condition. Scratch and sniff stickers are missing and the box is a little torn.

Olly88

Yeah I am watching that one it's not in the best condition. If I'm spending £500-600 on a video game in want it in better condition. Scratch and sniff stickers are missing and the box is a little torn.

Fair enough.

I suppose you could message the seller and ask if you buy the game, whether they could mark the item as a gift and at lower value when doing the customs information. Some sellers wont, but if you're spending that much they might be willing to.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Fair enough.

I suppose you could message the seller and ask if you buy the game, whether they could mark the item as a gift and at lower value when doing the customs information. Some sellers wont, but if you're spending that much they might be willing to.

I've asked. Does this fall under tax avoidance? Lol

Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Chronotrigger
Mega Man 7
Final Fight 2

Great list!

Jim hasn't aged well IMO. It's wacky but really not that much fun. Kind of like the first DKC.

I'm adding more 2d action beat ups to my mix. Already have turtles, power rangers, batman returns, with X-men on the way. Which final fight is best?

AmyS

EGM's first preview of Final Fantasy V from issue #39 October 1992.

poFwcPY.jpg

GAF, I'd like your help finding another FFV (FF5) Super Famicom preview.

The one I'm looking for, I think talks about and shows a pic the Mode 7 effects for using the airship. Not a huge preview, I think just one page. I believe this was in another Sendai Publications magazine (EGM staff).

My first guess is that it was in an issue of Super NES Buyer's Guide but I could be wrong. Maybe another issue of EGM, or a special / supplement, etc. You guys know how there were a ton of spin-off magazines. Or Sendai's 90s version of Electronic Games. We're talking about 1992 here, Would most appreciate any help. Someone on GAF may know what I'm looking for.

Happy New Year.

Cheerilee

I've asked. Does this fall under tax avoidance? Lol

AFAIK, yes. If you buy/sell something, you're supposed to pay taxes. If it's just two friends sending an item back and forth between friends, there's no sale and no tax.

Marking something as a gift is literally just telling the government "Nothing going on here, leave me alone." And the government is willing to take your word on that and leave you alone.

If you cheat the system a little, the government doesn't care, because you're too small to bother with. But if you sell things for a living, you don't want to do that, because each time you do, you're just increasing the odds of the government taking notice and getting upset.

IrishNinja

EGM's first preview of Final Fantasy V from issue #39 October 1992.

god, that one stings looking back, haha

also sorry i dont have many Super NES Buyers Guides (lost some in the flood years ago, mostly only have their best of the year ones i wanna say?), but ill keep an eye out here as well!

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Why on earth can't I find super Mario world CIB (black box version) for a reasonable price? Sellers are asking at least £100-150 for it. It can't be that rare surely?

I have been looking for months now. Nothing 😒

RexRogers

Neo Member
Great list!

Jim hasn't aged well IMO. It's wacky but really not that much fun. Kind of like the first DKC.
It may get knocked from the list. I have the second game and I've never beaten it. It all depends on price and opportunity.

I'm adding more 2d action beat ups to my mix. Already have turtles, power rangers, batman returns, with X-men on the way. Which final fight is best?
Those are some great suggestions. The 16-bit era was the height of the time for brawlers. The 3rd Final Fight is best. It's got 2 player co-op like the second one, but is the most polished.

It may get knocked from the list. I have the second game and I've never beaten it. It all depends on price and opportunity.

Those are some great suggestions. The 16-bit era was the height of the time for brawlers. The 3rd Final Fight is best. It's got 2 player co-op like the second one, but is the most polished.

I just played and beat SMB2 (all stars), SMW, and DKC.

Let me tell y'all DKC was pure nostalgia goggles. Aged terribly. Meanwhile I keep going back to the Marios and even the other DKC games. Jim is kinda like that. Technical issues, lacking jump flexibility, but the artwork is cool.

Thanks for the heads up about final fight. Hard one to find :)

AmyS

Still trying to figure out were that other article on FFV might be. The one that's in my memory.
Okay for example, here is a small preview of FF IV (II) in Super SNES Buyer's Guide, Winter 1991:

duVT83M.jpg

DWIehQ0.jpg

I'm thinking a FFV preview showcasing a Mode 7 airship sequence could be in a later issue of that publication, or maybe Electronic Games, cuz I just found this:

ws4oZrj.jpg

8U8erwJ.jpg

There's a chance that was it (obviously FF III is V) but I seem to remember a larger full-page preview that mentions the Mode 7 effects.
I think the screenshot(s) was pretty bright looking but my memory is really vague.
What I'm remembering seems to be more like the FF IV / II screenshot from SNES BG, but a lot bigger.

edit: i.e. continents, mountains, water, sky. Mode 7.

m6f384x.png

A FFV preview with a screenshot like ^ that. Help :/

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Great list!

I agree on Jim, but the original DKC is still a ton of fun. Those two games are in completely separate classes imo. DKC have great presentation and music, but also really inventive level design, challenge that is actually fun, cool secrets and awesome bosses. A great game.

Top Bottom