• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Teknoman

Thats crazy that FF III NA was almost V. I think I have a mag around here somewhere that shoes Secret of Mana as Final Fantasy Adventure 2 or something similar?

Does the japanese version of Combatribes have different music, or is pretty much the same?

I've been trying to round out some good SNES beat em ups. I dont have Knights of the Round, Rival Turf (Rushing Beat 1...real soft spot for the series), Sonic Blastman 2 or 3, Final Fight 2 or 3, Power Rangers, or Undercover Cops. Not sure if there are some really obscure but good or just well made beat em ups im missing out on other than those.

EDIT: Man...seems like every Jaleco SNES game had a great soundtrack.

AmyS

Probably not this one, but it might be of interest to someone

That's a really nice preview, thanks Olly. It definitely has most of the features of the preview I remember. Though it didn't strike me as "oh, that's it!", Ha, but it's interesting regardless :)

Edit: It's the best preview so far, and a possible candidate for the long lost FFV preview I was looking for, until something more convincing comes along (like from Super NES Buyer's Guide / EGM).

AmyS

Thats crazy that FF III NA was almost V. I think I have a mag around here somewhere that shoes Secret of Mana as Final Fantasy Adventure 2 or something similar?

Yeah, probably this from EGM #45 - April 1993:

i1eofTE.jpg
eCiXJKD.jpg

Secret of Mana was originally called FF Adventure II.

Just found an EGM supplement for the 1993 Winter CES show FFV and FF Adv 2.

mT8Vvxk.jpg

D.Lo

Neat design work, but it looks like they desperately need a native English speaking editor to have a pass at that text, lots of grammar and spelling mistakes.
Oh wow, just had a look and yes it's incredibly poorly written.

Rydeen

Oh wow, just had a look and yes it's incredibly poorly written.
The text in the Assault Suits Valken / Cybernator section mis-identifies the artist of the cover art as Satoshi Urushihara. Urushihara did the character portraits for the game, not the front cover painting.

So spelling mistakes galore and inaccurate information. Don't support this, people.

EDIT: Whoop edited that.

RexRogers

Neo Member
Why does there seem to be so many SNES games originating from Mexico on ebay? I've noticed that copies of some of the more rare games for sale on the site (Ninja Warriors, Nosferatu, Wild Guns) seem to have Mexican sellers with a greater than average frequency. I, myself, have bought a couple of games from sellers there and on NintendoAge and they were legit cartridges. Is there an explanation for this or am I seeing things that aren't really there?

nice scans of egm :) speaking of scans, coming from left field here. does anyone have a scan of the box art of SFC Hyper Iria? a friend in another forum loves making custom covers so i thought i'd ask in here =) otherwise please disregard.

Teknoman

Why does there seem to be so many SNES games originating from Mexico on ebay? I've noticed that copies of some of the more rare games for sale on the site (Ninja Warriors, Nosferatu, Wild Guns) seem to have Mexican sellers with a greater than average frequency. I, myself, have bought a couple of games from sellers there and on NintendoAge and they were legit cartridges. Is there an explanation for this or am I seeing things that aren't really there?

Maybe alot of big retail stores had items in storage/warehouses there? The Neo Geo MVS guys were saying about how the MVS carts are cheaper there too.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Played and completed Joe & Mac for the first time today, a game I have been eying since it came out about 25 years ago. Actually slightly disappointed by it, as it was very short, straighforward and easy, with its only really great feature being the presentation .That overworld looked so promising too - but of course didnt really deliver anything interesting. The definition of a mediocre game.

I also started King of Demons for the Super Famicom, which seems way cooler. Completed the first two levels in that, hope its long and keeps up with the amazing backgrounds.

Timu

Played and completed Joe & Mac for the first time today, a game I have been eying since it came out about 25 years ago. Actually slightly disappointed by it, as it was very short, straighforward and easy, with its only really great feature being the presentation .That overworld looked so promising too - but of course didnt really deliver anything interesting. The definition of a mediocre game.
I prefer the Genesis version since it's a port of the arcade version.

Timu

I thought they were both more or less the same? Guess I need to check it out as well at some point.
Heck no, both versions are different!!!

Genesis follows the arcade while the SNES reworked the levels and the gameplay, missing weapons, no charge up and only one ending.

AmyS

Whoa, I think I'm getting closer.

Most of the Super NES Buyer's Guide issues put out by Sendai are not available for download, but this one was, with a big beautiful preview of Final Fantasy Adventure II before the name change to Secret of Mana. It's much nicer than the one in EGM.

PX5c0oB.jpg

I3Q3zCg.jpg

If anyone has Super NES Buyer's Guide issues from 1992-1994, could you please check for a FFV preview like that? Thanks!

Edit: goddammit, I found another one, but not FFV!

ZWYOliW.jpg

BhSMsUU.jpg

Danneee

I'm eyeing that Gundam Wing fighting game on eBay to round out the collection. Any opinions on that? Does it still hold up today?

It's either that or R-Type 3 but that's supposed to be insanely hard.

Edit: went with Gundam, needed a fighting game.

Morfeo

Thanks again for amazing scans AmyS! Really makes me want to go back in time when I see them, so much promise, so may interesting games on the horizon. Maybe my favorite era of video games ever and waaaay more fun than now at least.

I'm eyeing that Gundam Wing fighting game on eBay to round out the collection. Any opinions on that? Does it still hold up today?

It's either that or R-Type 3 but that's supposed to be insanely hard.

Edit: went with Gundam, needed a fighting game.

The Gundam Wing fighting game on SFC is fun and holds up well. If you've got a friend to play with, it's a blast. As long as you use the honor code and avoid using that easy Deathscythe infinite lol.

It's still my favorite one-on-one Gundam fighter. I like it more than the PS1 Battle Assault games. Apparently it was made by the same folks who made the Power Rangers Fighting Edition on SNES, which honestly has me wanting to check that game out.

AmyS

Thanks again for amazing scans AmyS! Really makes me want to go back in time when I see them, so much promise, so may interesting games on the horizon. Maybe my favorite era of video games ever and waaaay more fun than now at least.

Same here, the 16-Bit era was definitely my favorite time in my life for gaming. The sense of discovery was incredible, as were the memories. Wish I could go back.

BTW guys, I'm almost fully convinced now that the Final Fantasy V preview I keep mentioning is in one of those Super NES Buyer's Guide issues I haven't been able to look at. In their Future Play column.

Kudos to whoever finds & posts it!

Morfeo

I am in the process of selling of duplicates and spare consoles I have, and when deciding upon which of my two Donkey Kong Country (pal) carts to keep, I decided to open them both up to see how they looked on the inside. To my surprise, they actually looked quite different:

Does anybody know if there is any difference worth caring about with these two pcbs? Or is the one on the right simply a more modern, and thus space-effective, version?

Olly88

Completed Super Castlevania for the first time earlier. Absolutely love it. Despite not owning it until 2011 it somehow feels really nostalgic to me, as if it was a game I used to play a lot as a kid.

It's pretty sad that we'll almost certainly never have another Castlevania like that ever again.

Cheerilee

I am in the process of selling of duplicates and spare consoles I have, and when deciding upon which of my two Donkey Kong Country (pal) carts to keep, I decided to open them both up to see how they looked on the inside. To my surprise, they actually looked quite different:

Does anybody know if there is any difference worth caring about with these two pcbs? Or is the one on the right simply a more modern, and thus space-effective, version?

The "modern" PCB says 1993 on it, while the bulky one says 1994. :p

At a quick glance, both boards have the same assortment of chips, but the smaller board has one big chip while the larger board has two big chips. I'm going to guess that the big chips are the game's ROM. DKC was a 32 megabit cart, so the cart on the right has a 32 megabit ROM chip, while the cart on the left built a 32 megabit space using two 16 megabit chips (or whatever combination).

Glancing at piracy sites, it appears that DKC in Europe had two versions, one was 1.0 and the other was 1.1 and had a slightly updated version of the game. So yeah, you might have two different versions of the same game. Or maybe just a reprint, that used more or less chips, either to save money or because certain chips were unavailable.

D.Lo

Completed Super Castlevania for the first time earlier. Absolutely love it. Despite not owning it until 2011 it somehow feels really nostalgic to me, as if it was a game I used to play a lot as a kid.

It's pretty sad that we'll almost certainly never have another Castlevania like that ever again.
Blew my mind in 1992 when I got it. A slow burning masterpiece with one of the best soundtracks of the generation IMO.

Crazy it's still not even the best Castlevania of the gen (Drac X PCE of course).

Goddamn what Castlevania 5 of SNES could have been if Konami made that instead of the fun but dinky step backward Mega Drive game.

Same goes for an Axeley sequel instead of 12 Parodius games, Contra 4 instead of Gunstarised grey/brown Contra spinoff with Poochie...

IrishNinja

Goddamn what Castlevania 5 of SNES could have been if Konami made that instead of the fun but dinky step backward Mega Drive game.

Same goes for an Axeley sequel instead of 12 Parodius games, Contra 4 instead of Gunstarised grey/brown Contra spinoff with Poochie...

bs2.gif

Olly88

I knew it wouldn't be long before the Mega Drive comment got a reply :p I want to get that at one point, but it's a bit above what I'm willing to spend on Mega Drive games, so it'll have to wait a bit.

Blew my mind in 1992 when I got it. A slow burning masterpiece with one of the best soundtracks of the generation IMO.

Crazy it's still not even the best Castlevania of the gen (Drac X PCE of course).

Yep, one of the best soundtracks ever IMO. I'll listen to one track and decide it's my favourite, and then listen to another and decide that one is, and end up doing it with almost every one. I think at the moment I'll say The Library is my favourite.

I know some people aren't big on Vampires Kiss/Dracula X, but I think it's my mission to get that next. I'm hungry for more.

D.Lo

It's not about the Mega Drive, it's about the games they made. Vampire Killer has NES sized sprites and only has six stages WTF? And the Drac X port/sequel is its own special fail.

Konami just simply didn't follow up their early SNES masterpieces Contra Spirits and CV4 with bigger, better sequels on the SNES, which was a shame. Primarily because they ignored the west most likely.

They made four Goemon games (and a puzzle spinoff) which was cool except they didn't come west, a Twinbee side scrolling Sonic sort of thing, A Parodius game where half the cart was taken up with audio clips of an old man yelling at you.

But no Gradius 4, Axeley 2, Castlevania 5, Contra 4...

I know some people aren't big on Vampires Kiss/Dracula X, but I think it's my mission to get that next. I'm hungry for more.
You're really going to need a PC Engine if you want to play the only other big-time CV game of the gen. It's also on Virtual Console though.

Drac XX is a solid but rough basic game, but a bad shadow of the legend. It's a 6.8/10 when Drac X is an 11/10.

IrishNinja

Bloodlines is an underrated CV game not bogged down by Mode 7 showcase gimmicks, and an absolute masterpiece next to the actual disappointment that was drac X (SNES one)

Hard Corps is a fantastic game with multiple characters, paths & no overhead levels to break the flow

Axelay isn't even a good SHMUP (fortunately, R-Type 3, Space Megaforce & others were)

wanting more Gradius, however, is of course always a good thing

i hope i've helped~

not even gonna defend Hyperstone Heist (its alright) or Sunset Riders port (booo)

D.Lo

Bloodlines is an underrated CV game not bogged down by Mode 7 showcase gimmicks, and an absolute masterpiece next to the actual disappointment that was drac X (SNES one)
With NES sixed sprites, pretty scabby animation for the time, only six levels, and a really nice soundtrack but nothing on the breadth of CV4. It also has plenty of its own gimmicks (including the seemingly obligatory Konami on MD 'see we can do stuff that rotates on MD guys!!!'). It's a solid fun game but 100% a step backward, even from CV3, and certainly from CV4 and X68K.

I don't think it's underrated? Most people like it. I paid far too much for my copy (Japanese). But is is much, much less ambitious than CV4 or Drac X (PCE).

Yes of course the SNES Drac XX is a mess.

Axelay isn't even a good SHMUP (fortunately, R-Type 3, Space Megaforce & others were
It's a fun game with amazing graphics, fantastic music, and absolutely beautiful design work (like a classier R-type), and the ending says there will be a sequel.

IrishNinja

and the ending says there will be a sequel.

so does Golvelius <3

ima agree to disagree; i don't wanna sit here & take shots on SCIV to make my argument, cause i think that game's great, especially for such an early title in the gen - i'd kill for the OST on vinyl, and while it's trendy in recent years to knock the whip changes, i don't mind that one bit, even if it does make it the easiest of the classic CV titles.

also, your point on PCE Drac X/Rondo being the peak is something i find practically inarguable - literally, most times others rate a classic CV higher, i assume they didn't play it much, it's just the definition of masterclass.

Axelay looks & sounds great to me but i couldn't get into it. there's SHMUP fans who don't fuck with Ikaruga so i understand though, haha.

Morfeo

You're really going to need a PC Engine if you want to play the only other big-time CV game of the gen. It's also on Virtual Console though. .

I played it on the PSP, but dont really know how that version compares.

D.Lo

ima agree to disagree; i don't wanna sit here & take shots on SCIV to make my argument, cause i think that game's great, especially for such an early title in the gen - i'd kill for the OST on vinyl, and while it's trendy in recent years to knock the whip changes, i don't mind that one bit, even if it does make it the easiest of the classic CV titles.
My original point wasn't even about the game itself, or the other games either. But Konami's use of resources.

We didn't get a high budget high quality late-gen original SNES Castlevania game. I look at the improvements between Parodius Da and Ultimate Parodius, or Goemon 1 and Goemon 3, and mentally apply that to Castlevania 4. Goddamn at what could have been.

Drac X PCE is a masterpiece, and uses the PCE's abilities incredibly well. But no question the SNES could do better graphics and effects for a game of that type, If the same effort was put in, Konami themselves showed that. Even the half baked unfinished Drac XX on SNES shows that, as it has on the surface higher quality tiles, cool effects like the fire, and the PCE game's music is reproduced almost perfectly in chip form on the SNES too.

I played it on the PSP, but dont really know how that version compares.
It's okay, just a bit blurry and choppy.

Olly88

You're really going to need a PC Engine if you want to play the only other big-time CV game of the gen. It's also on Virtual Console though.

Drac XX is a solid but rough basic game, but a bad shadow of the legend. It's a 6.8/10 when Drac X is an 11/10.

I'd like to play the PCE version, but getting everything would end up being rather (very) expensive.

IrishNinja

and the PCE game's music is reproduced almost perfectly in chip form on the SNES too.

man i gotta revisit it, i recall thinking it was good for what it was but missed the CD sound

I'd like to play the PCE version, but getting everything would end up being rather (very) expensive.

true, but
a) Drac X on SNES is pricey as hell right now (even the superior import version went up!)
b) you can play Rondo on wii VC or PSP (wanna say vita too?) with the remake, has the original in there to boot!

TheMoon

true, but
a) Drac X on SNES is pricey as hell right now (even the superior import version went up!)
b) you can play Rondo on wii VC or PSP (wanna say vita too?) with the remake, has the original in there to boot!

Dracula X (SNES) is on Wii U VC btw.

Olly88

true, but

Out of those the PSP option is probably what I would go with, but neither really appeal to me that much :(

I've scratched the itch for more Castlevania for now anyway... I just played and finished IV again!

D.Lo

Wii Virtual Console is by far the best way to play DX PCE apart from RGB modded original hardware.

PSP version is a bit crap emulation honestly, and the SNES game is just a curiosity really.

Morfeo

The "modern" PCB says 1993 on it, while the bulky one says 1994. :p

At a quick glance, both boards have the same assortment of chips, but the smaller board has one big chip while the larger board has two big chips. I'm going to guess that the big chips are the game's ROM. DKC was a 32 megabit cart, so the cart on the right has a 32 megabit ROM chip, while the cart on the left built a 32 megabit space using two 16 megabit chips (or whatever combination).

Glancing at piracy sites, it appears that DKC in Europe had two versions, one was 1.0 and the other was 1.1 and had a slightly updated version of the game. So yeah, you might have two different versions of the same game. Or maybe just a reprint, that used more or less chips, either to save money or because certain chips were unavailable.

Thanks for your answer! Wonder if there is any differences? Guess not much since there is no information about it online.

Wii Virtual Console is by far the best way to play DX PCE apart from RGB modded original hardware.

PSP version is a bit crap emulation honestly, and the SNES game is just a curiosity really.

Pretty much. PSP version's only novelty is that the game itself was properly localized and voice acted.

Top Bottom