• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

D.Lo

Japanese version is easier yet again...tends to happen with quite a bit of NES, SNES and GEN games.
Typically with a Japanese developed game made harder for the Us though, I think because gaming magazines in the US scored down games that were too easily beaten. Some games end up being broken because of the changes.

DKC is more likely streamlining and cleaning up, because the Japaneae version came out later. Kind of like PAL versions of some games which gets bugs removed and boring sections streamlined.

Vampire Killer has NES sized sprites
bloodlinesspritecompao2po5.png

?

It's much closer to Super Castlevania IV, actually...

D.Lo

bloodlinesspritecompao2po5.png

?

It's much closer to Super Castlevania IV, actually...
Yes sort of, it was somewhat hyperbole. I did say 'NES sized sprites' not 'NES Castlevania sized sprites ;)

But that's a poor comparison too. The sprites in that image are not ratio-corrected, so the NES/SNES ones are squashed horizontally in comparison to the MD one compared to how they appear on an actual TV screen. And the VK sprites also have a '3D' stance so the front foot sits below the platform line, so are shorter in game. Simon is also the in one of his 'skinniest' stances when standing as it's his 'side-on' stance, and is 'fatter' jumping/walking/whipping, wheras it's one of Jonathon's fattest stances and he is skinnier whipping/jumping/walking. So by volume the SNES one would practically be 30%+ bigger most of the time.

adsfc__simon_belmont.png

CVBloodlines_JohnMorris.png

D.Lo

I was more focused on height than width, honestly
Sure. VK definitely feels much smaller in-game though.

Despite being a console exclusive and too easy, I always felt like CVIV looked and felt like an arcade game, because it really looks like a typical 16-bit arcade game from the mid-80s. You know, a Ghosts and Goblins or a Wardner sort of thing. Dark and weird colours for some stuff (purple trees etc) and really 80s style animation. Dracula X68K does too. But VK looks and feels like a console game again.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I thought I was on a buying pause, but today I got three Super Famicom-games in the mail: Mega Man X2, Xandra no Daibōken and Gun Hazard. Nice!

Morfeo

Btw, is there any differences between the Super Nintendo and Super Famicom-version of Super Mario World? What about Super Mario Allstars?

Btw, is there any differences between the Super Nintendo and Super Famicom-version of Super Mario World? What about Super Mario Allstars?

I've got the SFC versions. Aside from a bit of Japanese text on the save screen, I haven't noticed a single difference.

D.Lo

which thankfully someone went back & fansubbed onto Rondo (PCE), burn it to a disc and voila, english subs!
i really dislike the translation stuff. The intro is completely changed (though still in German) and misses the beats of the animations. Igarashi is a hack.

Morfeo

What controllers are people using? Would like something with a bit longer cord, or maybe even wireless. Any good options for that?

Cheerilee

What controllers are people using? Would like something with a bit longer cord, or maybe even wireless. Any good options for that?

The Ascii Pad is a fantastic controller. Indistinguishable from Nintendo first party, but it has switches that can change any button to turbo or auto fire.

The only drawback is that the cord is short. But if you know how to work a screwdriver, you can easily change out the short cord for a longer cord from a first party controller (they use the same internal connector and everything).

I remember trying some third party wireless controllers back in the day, and I disliked the build quality and was bothered by the input lag. I'm sure there are mods available today that use first party controllers and have modern wireless for less input lag, but you'd probably have to build them yourself or find someone who's willing to be paid to make them.

D.Lo

I have the Konami Hyperbeam, which is surely the best wireless controller on the system.

Fantastic quality buttons and dpad and build - controller is just a little bit too fat. Original feels better. So I use a normal Super Fami controller (with a SNES cord attached so it's not two feel long lol).

Shame, as the official Sega Mega Drive six button wireless pad is fantastic. Better than the too-thin normal Sega sixer IMO.

Just get an extension cable if you want longer.

What controllers are people using?

ASCIIpad for life. I prefer them over Nintendo.

Regarding wireless, I remember using a logitech cordless action pro PS2 controller via tototek adapter on SNES once, just out of curiousity and it worked. 2.4Ghz wireless is definitely a step up from the contemporaneous IR offerings by Accalim and Konami that would've released during the SNES lifespan, but I didn't put it through rigorous testing or anything.

TheMoon

The Ascii Pad is a fantastic controller. Indistinguishable from Nintendo first party, but it has switches that can change any button to turbo or auto fire.

Co-signing this. Had it since the SNES era. Never even knew it wasn't an official first party controller until this century.

TheMoon

Another vote for the asciipad here. It's identical in feel to the stock controller, but with the addition of turbo switches.

And better ergonomics for bigger hands, I think. At least I always found it more comfortable to place my index fingers on the L and R buttons due to the raised shape.

And better ergonomics for bigger hands, I think. At least I always found it more comfortable to place my index fingers on the L and R buttons due to the raised shape.

Yeah, this is the main reason I've retired my OG SNES controllers. The Ascii one just feels better in my hands and the triggers are better positioned.

IrishNinja

ASCIIpad for life. I prefer them over Nintendo.

yeah i was OG controller 4 lyfe till Mzo got me onto one of these - select button is going out, still can't switch up, haha. i love the rapid fire option!

SNES cord with a SFC controller shell.

this is a good way to go too - part of my ascii pad love is the SFC button coloring!

so good, it has celebrity endorsements

IZqnyxM.jpg

(James and Dave Franco)

ahaha, that hair tho

Cheerilee

yeah i was OG controller 4 lyfe till Mzo got me onto one of these - select button is going out, still can't switch up, haha. i love the rapid fire option!

Open it up and clean the contacts.

If that doesn't work, apply a little bit of "wire glue" to the rubber membranes.

If that doesn't work, find a good first party controller and donate it's start/select membrane (as well as it's longer cord while you're at it) to the Ascii Pad, because the Ascii Pad is so close to first party that it's parts are interchangable.

IrishNinja

Open it up and clean the contacts.

If that doesn't work, apply a little bit of "wire glue" to the rubber membranes.

If that doesn't work, find a good first party controller and donate it's start/select membrane (as well as it's longer cord while you're at it) to the Ascii Pad, because the Ascii Pad is so close to first party that it's parts are interchangable.

okay one day when i'm feeling competent ill do just that! for real, tried this on the genesis 3 button arcade power stick, and the parts never felt the same again (;_;)

don't have a first party controller i'd yet gut for the cable though..while we're on that: my dumb dog chewed through the end of my Super NES advantage as a pup, i still have the cord's torn end & the loose plug about, can this be salvaged?

Cheerilee

okay one day when i'm feeling competent ill do just that! for real, tried this on the genesis 3 button arcade power stick, and the parts never felt the same again (;_;)

don't have a first party controller i'd yet gut for the cable though..while we're on that: my dumb dog chewed through the end of my Super NES advantage as a pup, i still have the cord's torn end & the loose plug about, can this be salvaged?

If the cord is broken somewhere in the middle, you can splice it back together. The wires in the cord are color-coded, so you just match red back up with red, green to green, and so on. If you have some minor skill with a soldering iron and a knife (enough to not hurt yourself), you can cut away the shielding, solder the wires back together, and then zip the patient back up again with heat-shrink tubing and/or electrical tape. It won't look good as new, but it should work.

If the break is too close to the plug end, any repair will look even uglier, because you'll pretty much destroy the molded plastic trying to get things hooked back up again.

If the break is near the controller, open up the controller, remove the pin connector connecting the cable to the controller's board, disconnect what's left of the torn cable from the pin connector, then attach the connector to the broken end of the length of the cable. String the new slightly-shorter cable into your controller, connect the connector, and voila! Invisible repair.

You could also potentially replace the cable, assuming that the Advantage doesn't use any unique wires.

IrishNinja

^thanks for that! it's right towards the plug in end, so i might be looking at just jacking a cable when i find a dead pad or something

Teknoman

Anyone got protips for Contra 3 Stage 3 boss on Hard? That flamethrower still gets me for how fast it moves. Can you even jump that?

Timu

Anyone got protips for Contra 3 Stage 3 boss on Hard? That flamethrower still gets me for how fast it moves. Can you even jump that?
Only once I beaten that boss on Hard without dying to him... I hope to do that again on recordings. Boss fight seems kinda broken because of a nearly unavoidable attack.

I'll just keep moving if I were you.

D.Lo

Only once I beaten that boss on Hard without dying to him... I hope to do that again on recordings. Boss fight seems kinda broken because of a nearly unavoidable attack.

Agreed, I accept life losses, and switch away from my cannon so I don't lose it at that point.

Teknoman

Yeah I want to join in on the high action gameplay uploads, but damn if that boss isnt putting a block lol. Even Hard Corps isnt that hard when it comes to boss patterns + reactions.

D.Lo

Don't play hard, the game is balanced properly for Normal.

Yes I know the US version only gives you the ending on hard.

Timu

Yeah I want to join in on the high action gameplay uploads, but damn if that boss isnt putting a block lol. Even Hard Corps isnt that hard when it comes to boss patterns + reactions.
Well, good luck with that. I tried to do it last year but instead I went with the 1st NES Contra games. Hopefully Contra 3 will come to my channel one day.

Yeah, but I gotta prove how good I am at games, definitely Contra games.=p

Used the sticker "tell" to take a shot at a 1Chip model from Craigslist. Popped it open tonight and it's indeed a 1Chip-01. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it and sell my childhood SNES, or sell the 1Chip and make a little money. I'm not too terribly sentimental over hardware and my original is yellowed a bit. This one is nice and gray!

Anyone here think the 1Chip is worth having? I've watched the MLiG vid on this and the improvements look pretty minimal....

Teknoman

Yeah thats the thing, i've never beaten the game on hard...ever. And being a Contra game, I know the true ending probably doesnt matter, but hey...I beat Journey to Silius...should be able to beat that.

Well, good luck with that. I tried to do it last year but instead I went with the 1st NES Contra games. Hopefully Contra 3 will come to my channel one day.

Yeah, but I gotta prove how good I am at games, definitely Contra games.=p

The killer part, the game probably isnt really that much harder after that one boss...I assume. Probably should horde bombs to that point.

Timu

Y

The killer part, the game probably isnt really that much harder after that one boss...I assume. Probably should horde bombs to that point.
Stage 5 boss is annoying on Hard since there's an extra step on using the L and R buttons to position yourself to shoot it...and yes, I only beaten that boss on Hard without dying to it once as well, though that's going to change.

Morfeo

Is the Super Famicom-version of Super Metroid basically the same as the North American? Considering you can choose between languages etc?

Also, any good site that has all the various localizations that were done for games like Terranigma, Secret of Mana etc, and their corresponding cartridge label?

entremet

Is the Super Famicom-version of Super Metroid basically the same as the North American? Considering you can choose between languages etc?

Also, any good site that has all the various localizations that were done for games like Terranigma, Secret of Mana etc, and their corresponding cartridge label?

Yes. It's the same. They're virtually identical.

Used the sticker "tell" to take a shot at a 1Chip model from Craigslist. Popped it open tonight and it's indeed a 1Chip-01. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it and sell my childhood SNES, or sell the 1Chip and make a little money. I'm not too terribly sentimental over hardware and my original is yellowed a bit. This one is nice and gray!

Anyone here think the 1Chip is worth having? I've watched the MLiG vid on this and the improvements look pretty minimal....

It's probably difficult to express differences through youtube which is by nature compressed. After seeing the two on the same setup over RGB, the OG SNES has a way softer image that the 1-Chip.

Timu

It's probably difficult to express differences through youtube which is by nature compressed. After seeing the two on the same setup over RGB, the OG SNES has a way softer image that the 1-Chip.
When it comes to youtube It's probably because the video isn't in 1440p(or 4k), which makes youtube use more bitrate to be less compressed than 720p and 1080p. I use 1440p for 3D games now and I will never go back to those lower res than it for them to have actual decent to great quality on vids. 1440p even benefits 2D games as well(though not as much as 3D games).

But yeah there's a difference between OG and 1-Chip.

Peagles

I think it's worth having. I had just about the worst model you can get before I got a 1CHIP and the difference was pretty amazing. I mean, if all I ever saw was the first one I probably would never have cared, but the 1CHIP is hugely sharper and better looking.

Hello all,

I want to get an RGB cable for my Super Famicom but I'm not sure which one I should get. There is some listings on eBay that specifically say the cable in the listings is for an NTSC SNES/SFC.

What I mean is, on eBay there's a third party SCART cable for a modded NTSC N64 (since I've heard stock NTSC N64s do not support RGB natively). Oddly enough this N64 cable is cheaper than the ones that specifically say it's for the NTSC SNES/SFC.

So I'm wondering, would this SCART cable for modded N64s work on my SFC, because they use the same output port? It would be nice if I saved a bit of money by doing this, haha.

Top Bottom