• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Peagles

Hello all,

I want to get an RGB cable for my Super Famicom but I'm not sure which one I should get. There is some listings on eBay that specifically say the cable in the listings is for an NTSC SNES/SFC.

What I mean is, on eBay there's a third party SCART cable for a modded NTSC N64 (since I've heard stock NTSC N64s do not support RGB natively). Oddly enough this N64 cable is cheaper than the ones that specifically say it's for the NTSC SNES/SFC.

So I'm wondering, would this SCART cable for modded N64s work on my SFC, because they use the same output port? It would be nice if I saved a bit of money by doing this, haha.

If you want the best cable get one from eBay user retro_console_accessories.

If you want the cheapest cable, I'd honestly go with the one at Play Asia, it's $3.99 and actually okay quality. Much better than the equivalently priced ones on eBay.

Cheerilee

I'm pretty sure they're literally byte-for-byte identical, in fact.

Yep. Pirates classify the Super Metroid ROM as "Japan/USA", because there's no measurable difference between the two, apart from the box and instructions and the cart shell. Not even a 1.0/1.1 difference. They're digitally the exact same game.

The European version added more language support.

IrishNinja

i really need to mess more with a 1chip one day (gunsmith has like a dozen), but the fact that game genies don't work is a bummer! i guess it's a moot point when my everdrive gets back here.

TheMoon

Yep. Pirates classify the Super Metroid ROM as "Japan/USA", because there's no measurable difference between the two, apart from the box and instructions and the cart shell. Not even a 1.0/1.1 difference. They're digitally the exact same game.

Don't say "added" ...it took out the Japanese and forced German subtitling. It's very not cool.

Peagles

Yep, you have to have German or French subtitles. It's shit. Luckily just the intro and the rest of the game is in English, but still.

Best game ever made.

Ugh yeh. I never owned a PAL copy for SNES (had cart only US and CIB JP copies) but when I got it on Virtual Console I was like eww gross. That and the shuddering frame thing.

Cheerilee

wait...so you can't turn the german subs off, then?

I just checked to refresh my memory.

The original version of the game is basically English dubbed, and you can turn on optional Japanese subtitles. The Japanese experience of the game is like watching an imported Hollywood movie, similar to how Resident Evil 1 did it, which makes translating it for American audiences pretty easy.

The European version saw that "subtitles off" was a valid subtitle track in the programming, so they replaced "subtitles off" with "German subtitles" and replaced "Japanese subtitles on" with "French subtitles". That way they can claim that the European version supports triple-language English, German, and French, with minimal reprogramming effort. Unfortunately, it means that anytime you're playing the game, you're forced to endure either German or French subtitles.

D.Lo

SNES was the best PAL machine overall however.

Music is never slow because it's clocked separately, and slow music is probably the most offensive part of PAL slowness.

And PAL consoles that have the exact same chips clocked down (eg Mega Drive, SNES) benefit from the CPU being taxed less, and games have less slowdown as a result. Now this rarely affects Mega Drive, which doesn't have much slowdown due to being a CPU-centric console, but many SNES shooters are slowdown-ville, and actually much better performers on a PAL console.

Teknoman

Getting better. Just found out that the Rototank on stage 2 only goes berserk if you destroy it's tail laser. All these years and I never knew that. Still kinda tough to pinpoint its core on hard. Stage 3 snipers are annoying though.

TheMoon

Music is never slow because it's clocked separately, and slow music is probably the most offensive part of PAL slowness.

And PAL consoles that have the exact same chips clocked down (eg Mega Drive, SNES) benefit from the CPU being taxed less, and games have less slowdown as a result. Now this rarely affects Mega Drive, which doesn't have much slowdown due to being a CPU-centric console, but many SNES shooters are slowdown-ville, and actually much better performers on a PAL console.

That stuff must be why growing up with a SNES in PAL land never made anything feel wrong until I came to the internet and was told PAL is terrible :D (of course now playing NTSC versions of most games makes them obviously superior in most cases).

-KRS-

For some odd reason though, the Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix music plays slower in 50hz on my 50/60hz modded SFC. At least the intro music. But that's the only example of that I've seen/heard.

For some odd reason though, the Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix music plays slower in 50hz on my 50/60hz modded SFC. At least the intro music. But that's the only example of that I've seen/heard.
It could have been interrupt driven rather than just programmeed-and-run in order to keep the timing appropriate to the flashy into animation that game has.

Tested out my 1Chip compared to my original console. I kept having trouble getting a signal with certain games. It seemed to be worse when trying to use s-video. Then I cleaned the contacts on the games and of course it was much better. Expect for one game - Sunset Riders. It works, but it's finicky. I barely bumped the console at one point and it glitched on me. My older console seemed a bit more stable. I honestly don't know what's happening, if it's just dirty carts or what....

And holy shit does Sunset Riders have a cool soundtrack.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Any list somewhere of which pal games that actually have less slowdown, and thus can be considered superior?

Huggers

I'd never heard that about PAL Snes games at times having less slow down. That's good to know. A list of affected games would be awesome.

So I've been playing through Super Star Wars due to general Star Wars fever and having not payed through it in a long time and I've got to say I love this game. Sure it has moments of cheapness and it's not without it's flaws but it does a brilliant job of capturing the movie. From the settings to the music, very cool game. I'm not fond of either of it's sequels as I remember it but maybe I should go back and give them another go

edit. Here's me rinsing through it https://youtu.be/9J1ih24DtNE

Morfeo

I'd never heard that about PAL Snes games at times having less slow down. That's good to know. A list of affected games would be awesome.

So I've been playing through Super Star Wars due to general Star Wars fever and having nt payed through it in a long time and I've got to say I love this game. Sure it has moments of cheapness and it's not without it's flaws but it does a brilliant job of capturing the movie. From the settings to the musics, very cool game. I'm not fond of either of it's sequels as I remember it but maybe I should go back and give them another go

Th level design and enemy placement in this game is not good to say the least, but its still a crazy fun game for how tight it fits into the movie.

Huggers

Th level design and enemy placement in this game is not good to say the least, but its still a crazy fun game for how tight it fits into the movie.

Yeah it's pretty cheap in parts. The boss in the Canteena with the telescopic neck is a royal pain in the arse. Totally unfair. All is forgiven though as you get to control Chewie

Danneee

Any opinions on Smash Tennis/Super Family Tennis? It looks nice enough and seem to have 4 player multiplayer. But is it as good as or better than Super Tennis??

D.Lo

Any list somewhere of which pal games that actually have less slowdown, and thus can be considered superior?
No list, it's just my personal observation. I noticed it years ago when I ran a 50/60Hz PAL console, and did tests to prove it to myself with several consoles, because to start with I thought it was because my 60Hz mod might be done wrong, or not behave the same as an actual 60Hz console. So I testedl PAL stock consoles against Super Famis. And I wasn't crazy, it was real.

The game I noticed it on was Gradius III - no PAL release but the NTSC one runs better in PAL, especially the bubble stage.

But it's in many games, what I noticed when moving from PAL to NTSC was the games I played a lot as a kid, so knew very well, had little bits of slowdown (on big effects in bosses etc) in 60Hz that didn't happen in PAL - the extra cycles meant when a game was pushed just over the edge in 60Hz, it didn't hiccup in PAL.

TheMoon

No list, it's just my personal observation. I noticed it years ago when I ran a 50/60Hz PAL console, and did tests to prove it to myself with several consoles, because to start with I thought it was because my 60Hz mod might be done wrong, or not behave the same as an actual 60Hz console. So I testedl PAL stock consoles against Super Famis. And I wasn't crazy, it was real.

The game I noticed it on was Gradius III - no PAL release but the NTSC one runs better in PAL, especially the bubble stage.

But it's in many games, what I noticed when moving from PAL to NTSC was the games I played a lot as a kid, so knew very well, had little bits of slowdown (on big effects in bosses etc) in 60Hz that didn't happen in PAL - the extra cycles meant when a game was pushed just over the edge in 60Hz, it didn't hiccup in PAL.

Contra III is one of them. That's why I happily bought the Wii VC version first to get the Super Probotector version and then upgraded to Contra III's NTSC version. Super Probotector is also supposedly a little easier due to lack of slowdown. Plus superior robots.

rog3r

Neo Member
Lurked in this thread for ages now, so thought i should post something :)

Picked 3 games up this weekend (did not get a bargain)

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

Been playing Zelda all day and I'm really looking forward to playing the DKC games - I only had DKC1 as a kid, so they will be like new games to me

TheMoon

Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

Been playing Zelda all day and I'm really looking forward to playing the DKC games - I only had DKC1 as a kid, so they will be like new games to me

You're in for a treat!

Huggers

Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

The second one is outstanding. Enjoy

Morfeo

Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

Welcome, three amazing games you got there!

Anyways, I think I might have bricked my north american Snes. Not that it really matters that much, since I own a 50/60hz modded Pal-machine, but sucks anyways. It can be bricked by using an adapter that outputs AC right?

It's funny how a twenty year old game is a lesson for today's Nintendo to learn from. Strong level design, eerie soundtrack, mature theme, and region free (ok not region free, but in terms of languages selection).

No gimmicks, fan service fluff, and cheesy cinematics.

Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

Yes! Not a Zelda fan but loved LTTP.

DKC 2 is really good. Personally disappointed by DKC1.

Tain

Can some dev-ish dude explain to me how Mario Kart's multiple layers of Mode7 works? I know the coprocessor isn't used for it.

Does the game just alternate updating each half of the screen each frame and I never noticed?

Can some dev-ish dude explain to me how Mario Kart's multiple layers of Mode7 works? I know the coprocessor isn't used for it.

Does the game just alternate updating each half of the screen each frame and I never noticed?

I'm pretty sure it's just switching stuff after a certain scanline. You mean the like 2 player mode or the map right? The DSP is used for that I think to get the sprites in the right place since that's not as easy with mode7.

Morfeo

It's funny how a twenty year old game is a lesson for today's Nintendo to learn from. Strong level design, eerie soundtrack, mature theme, and region free (ok not region free, but in terms of languages selection).

No gimmicks, fan service fluff, and cheesy cinematics..

To be fair, not only Nintendo but freaking every publisher out there could learn a ton from this game. And Nintendo probably less than the other big ones.

TheMoon

To be fair, not only Nintendo but freaking every publisher out there could learn a ton from this game. And Nintendo probably less than the other big ones.

Yea they don't need to "learn" anything from the level design. They got that covered. Kenjo Yamamoto also doesn't need to learn anything from his own soundtracks really and the language thing is also a non-issue.

Tain

I'm pretty sure it's just switching stuff after a certain scanline. You mean the like 2 player mode or the map right? The DSP is used for that I think to get the sprites in the right place since that's not as easy with mode7.

Yeah, the use of split-screen was what I was thinking of. I guess that makes sense!

Hargon

glad to add this one finally on my snes collection, for 10€ only

160111080950313802.png

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I picked this up on Etsy. I thought the conversion sounded better than getting a whole other console.
adap.jpg

12562498_10153870771031465_64632120_o.jpg

It works quite well. The eject button is in sync with the adapter, so it pushes up the game without removing the adapter.

psylah

I picked this up on Etsy. I thought the conversion sounded better than getting a whole other console.
adap.jpg

12562498_10153870771031465_64632120_o.jpg

It works quite well. The eject button is in sync with the adapter, so it pushes up the game without removing the adapter.

I had gotten an adapter with an ebay purchase, it looks like this:

The problem I have is that it only has the main connectors, not the ones on the left and right. This means there are 2 or 3 of my US games I can't use on it.

Is that common for adapters?

D.Lo

I had gotten an adapter with an ebay purchase, it looks like this:

The problem I have is that it only has the main connectors, not the ones on the left and right. This means there are 2 or 3 of my US games I can't use on it.

Is that common for adapters?
Yes, most SNES games (all but 10 or so? Or maybe only 4 even?) only use those pins. You had to pay extra back in the day for a 'Super FX' adapter lol.

Yes, most SNES games (all but 10 or so? Or maybe only 4 even?) only use those pins. You had to pay extra back in the day for a 'Super FX' adapter lol.

There's like 16 or so US games with OBC-1, Cx4, SA1, S-DD1, ST010 or SuperFX chips that all uses the extra pins I think.

BTails

I played through some Sunset Riders last night, man what a tight game. Colourful graphics, fun music and style (Especially the cheesy digital samples). After the first couple stages, I was feeling pretty good, but the difficulty ramps up BIG TIME once you hit the Twins boss in the saloon.

I ended up with Game Over on the incredibly un-PC "Chief Wigwam" boss, who just decimated my last two continues. Excited to play through it a few more times to learn some patterns, and get to the end. I never beat it back in the day!

Also, the bonus stages are super easy (Thanks Snatcher!)

NDPsycho

I played through some Sunset Riders last night, man what a tight game. Colourful graphics, fun music and style (Especially the cheesy digital samples). After the first couple stages, I was feeling pretty good, but the difficulty ramps up BIG TIME once you hit the Twins boss in the saloon.

I ended up with Game Over on the incredibly un-PC "Chief Wigwam" boss, who just decimated my last two continues. Excited to play through it a few more times to learn some patterns, and get to the end. I never beat it back in the day!

Also, the bonus stages are super easy (Thanks Snatcher!)

All of the bosses are pretty un-pc, but it's still fun :)

My daughter has to always be Cormano. Who wouldn't want to be the pink guy...

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Hey I have just purchased earthbound and there seems to be a issue.

The game keeps crashing it has done it twice in the space of 1 hour what is the issue?

I have checked the board, it's legit. Is it the cartridge, console or power supply?

Did a 100% super metroid run the other day and my time was 5:30 mins it didn't crash once. Any help would be appriciated thanks

Olly88

Hey I have just purchased earthbound and there seems to be a issue.

The game keeps crashing it has done it twice in the space of 1 hour what is the issue?

I have checked the board, it's legit. Is it the cartridge, console or power supply?

Did a 100% super metroid run the other day and my time was 5:30 mins it didn't crash once. Any help would be appriciated thanks

Have you cleaned the pins?

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Have you cleaned the pins?

Just have done it was a little dirty. I'm a little annoyed I got to twoson to threed and have been playing for about 2 hours I'm going to try again... 😢

Hey your the guy who said to ask the seller if I could avoid paying import tax. It worked lol.

Top Bottom