• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Hey I have just purchased earthbound and there seems to be a issue.

The game keeps crashing it has done it twice in the space of 1 hour what is the issue?

I have checked the board, it's legit. Is it the cartridge, console or power supply?

Did a 100% super metroid run the other day and my time was 5:30 mins it didn't crash once. Any help would be appriciated thanks
If you don't have a gamebit to open up the cart you can use the eraser end of a pencil and run it side to side on the contacts. Clear the remnants then try it again. Oh and do both sides.

Olly88

Just have done it was a little dirty. I'm a little annoyed I got to twoson to threed and have been playing for about 2 hours I'm going to try again... 😢

Hey your the guy who said to ask the seller if I could avoid paying import tax. It worked lol.

Ha nice one, congrats :D

Hopefully it will be alright after cleaning the pins. I had a couple of little graphical glitches the other day with Castlevania and it worked perfectly after giving them a quick rub.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Ha nice one, congrats :D

Hopefully it will be alright after cleaning the pins. I had a couple of little graphical glitches the other day with Castlevania and it worked perfectly after giving them a quick rub.

I can't believe the scratch and sniff stickers still work after 21 years lol

Chomposaur

Neo Member
If you don't have a gamebit to open up the cart you can use the eraser end of a pencil and run it side to side on the contacts. Clear the remnants then try it again. Oh and do both sides.

I do have a gamebit every time I buy a expensive snes game I check it immediately. Could it be something is wrong with the battery?

Rongolian

Banned
I do have a gamebit every time I buy a expensive snes game I check it immediately. Could it be something is wrong with the battery?

Can you give a little more info on what it's doing when it's "crashing"?

Does the screen go black? Does it freeze? Does the game reset? Does it hold a save at all?

I have played games with dead batteries before and tried to save and have had no games crash. If there was some dirt on it than most likely that was the problem. You should really try to get in the habit of cleaning used carts before they go in your system, that could make your system have problems down the line.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Can you give a little more info on what it's doing when it's "crashing"?

Does the screen go black? Does it freeze? Does the game reset? Does it hold a save at all?

The first freeze it just stopped the picture was still on the screen and the second freeze it went black

The game is still saving I turned it off and I still had my previous save still intact.

I've been playing a little more and I'm not having issues. Perhaps the cart was a little dirty. I'll report back if it freezes again 😥

Anth0ny

Do you guys think a Retron 5 is worth buying if I want to pick up some Super Famicom games and patch them into English?

I like that I can actually purchase the cartridge and play it on my TV, with a SNES controller, in English. Comes close to the real experience without having to pay out the ass for a repro cart.

Do you guys think a Retron 5 is worth buying if I want to pick up some Super Famicom games and patch them into English?

I like that I can actually purchase the cartridge and play it on my TV, with a SNES controller, in English. Comes close to the real experience without having to pay out the ass for a repro cart.

That's one of the nicer uses of that thing and it's certainly neat but real hardware is always a nicer solution. An Everdrive is cheaper than a Retron 5 and more versatile for SNES stuff.

I've also thought about getting one for an easy way to dump saves. I have some GameBoy Pokemon games I want to dump the saves of before I replace the batteries since my wife had all 150 pokemon + mew.

Anth0ny

put the Everdrive PCB in your import game shell for the full "actual cart" experience

it's not the saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

and I know using the Retron 5 isn't the same either but it feels more "pure" somehow

on the "super famicom patched english game pureness scale"

IrishNinja

hey so i was thinking of asking fellow gaffer gunsmithx if he could bring by one of his several 1CHIP SNES so i can do a comparison on my XRGB and see if i see a difference

gunsmith literally lives two floors below me in mega-city one but i'm soooper lazy so yeah if you read this gun

holla

hey so i was thinking of asking fellow gaffer gunsmithx if he could bring by one of his several 1CHIP SNES so i can do a comparison on my XRGB and see if i see a difference

gunsmith literally lives two floors below me in mega-city one but i'm soooper lazy so yeah if you read this gun

holla

rofl

Danneee

Just finished Final Fight 3 with a friend and holy hell at all the slow down! The game rarely plays at full speed if there's enemies on screen.

Fun game though.

Timu

Just finished Final Fight 3 with a friend and holy hell at all the slow down! The game rarely plays at full speed if there's enemies on screen.

Fun game though.
Slowdown mainly happens in 2 player, it doesn't happen as much in single player.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm dying to buy an SD2SNES to backup my large collection of SNES and SFC games (and patch them into English), but the Canadian dollar is sooooo baaaaad......

$190 USD becomes $275 ;_; ;_; ;_;

Peagles

I was gonna grab one at Black Friday since I was too poor in 2014, but the exchange rate made it so much more expensive over time, I should have just bought one earlier lol.

IrishNinja

you know, youse guys could always paypal gift one of us yanks the $ for it + shipping, and we could just save you those fees! alternatively, we could go in a group buy one day & shave a few bucks off together, that's how i got my mega everdrive

Peagles

you know, youse guys could always paypal gift one of us yanks the $ for it + shipping, and we could just save you those fees! alternatively, we could go in a group buy one day & shave a few bucks off together, that's how i got my mega everdrive

Guess what? Paypal doesn't allow me to do gift payments. Well it does, but it's called something else, and I get charged the same amount of fees. So yeh, lose lose.

Group buy could be good though!

IrishNinja

Guess what? Paypal doesn't allow me to do gift payments. Well it does, but it's called something else, and I get charged the same amount of fees. So yeh, lose lose.

Group buy could be good though!

ah, that sucks...

well, i've got most of the everdrives i want, working on an NES one, might pick up an SMS one down the road, either way the site's terms:

Wholesale:

Our store allow to make wholesale orders with 20% discount. This feature realized through discount coupons, just need to enter coupon code on checkout.

Coupon code: wholesale

Minimum order amount: $800 USD (amount prior discount)

so yeah, bit've work to organize, but 20% off isn't bad! if enough of you were inclined, might be worth it

BocoDragon

I don't know how any of that stuff works but I'd be in for a group buy.

It'd still probably be expensive in Canadian ;_; but I do really want one.

I feel like I can say goodbye to collecting anything for the next few years. Everything at about 1.5x the price just makes it stupid..

IrishNinja

I feel like I can say goodbye to collecting anything for the next few years. Everything at about 1.5x the price just makes it stupid..

yup, this is me in 2k16 - everdrives & the odd cheap thing i come across (just got Make my Music Video featuring Kris Kross CIB for $15! haha), that's it. it's a fine time to pay stuff down & rearrange my backloggery to remind myself i've 40 something games to tackle before needing more anyway

done with white whales, done with panicking when stuff i wanted skyrockets. barring garage sales/swap meet stuff, it's just not any fun.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Got myself a Snes mini, guess next step is to get it modded for rgb. Interesting to see if it does indeed output a nicer image than the original.

BocoDragon

yup, this is me in 2k16 - everdrives & the odd cheap thing i come across (just got Make my Music Video featuring Kris Kross CIB for $15! haha), that's it. it's a fine time to pay stuff down & rearrange my backloggery to remind myself i've 40 something games to tackle before needing more anyway

done with white whales, done with panicking when stuff i wanted skyrockets. barring garage sales/swap meet stuff, it's just not any fun.

I'd love the thrill of the hunt if money allowed! But alas.

Good find. They actually have a stack of sealed copies of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch Make my Video in a mom n pop game store near me... Haha.

BocoDragon

...how much they askin
I think it was $15 Canadian .. Which should be like 50 cents USD or something haha

Ill check if they're still there next time I go. They sat there for a loooong time. I imagine they are.

It's a nice offer but if I PayPal you $200usd its still the same. I've ordered 2 everdrives so far and never been dinged customs. I am in the market for an sd2snes as well but...damn our dollar.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Is it worthwhile going the Super Famicom route as a NA citizen?

Depends on what you want to use it for, the NA Snes plays Super Famicom fine with a very small modification, but I think the Super Famicom looks much better.

Anyways, Ive been playing some Dracula X, and I used to think the game was decent for what it was, but now im not so sure anymore. Its just so lazy in every way, enemy placement, level design, bosses, alternate levels, story etc. Only the music is really great in this game imo.

I'm dying to buy an SD2SNES to backup my large collection of SNES and SFC games (and patch them into English), but the Canadian dollar is sooooo baaaaad......

$190 USD becomes $275 ;_; ;_; ;_;

SD2SNES barely supports any more games than the Super Everdrive, I think for fan translations you're only looking at Star Ocean extra so you might as well just get the Everdrive. If you had gotten it during the last "Black Friday" sale you could have saved a bit as well.

It's a nice offer but if I PayPal you $200usd its still the same. I've ordered 2 everdrives so far and never been dinged customs. I am in the market for an sd2snes as well but...damn our dollar.

I have 4 everdrives and they didn't hit me for customs on any of them. I can't remember if Krikzz marks them down or not. Only thing I ever got hit on was buying my GC component cable from Japan, had to pay like an extra $20 (still way cheaper than normal price).

Is it worthwhile going the Super Famicom route as a NA citizen?

It looks waaaaaaaaay better but if you ever want to play US games on it you're not going to have fun cutting a ton of plastic. You could always get an adapter, but the purple boxy thing we got here is probably just more flexible.

Cheerilee

ah, you're right...it'd only be customs that'd be saved there, damn. maybe currency will be more favorable by the next black friday sale?

Our $0.69 Canadian dollar was just predicted to drop in value to $0.59 over the course of this year.

Right now it's so weak we want to put off purchasing from America, but it's only going to get worse. And then, knowing our luck, the next forecast is going to say we're headed down to $0.49.

Timu

It sucks that my SNES can't do csync as it shows a black screen, just composite video as sync. Oh well, at least it doesn't yellow.

Gunsmithx

holla

The best part of this is since my new semester started and I've gone to ground a bit he txted me to look at this thread >< yeah yeah, i'll swing by this weekend.

As to the ED talk, I really love my little collection(just missing n64 from what I really want, and the GBA one when it comes out) and I have been thinking about not replacing my snes ed for a sd2snes cause I own most of the games I care about and frankly it's not worth it just for star ocean though man I'd love faster loading time some day. If they ever get fx support then I'd probably upgrade though.

Sucks about how much more stuff costs for alot of you guys now, wish there was some way we could help you all.

elmalloc

I recently bought an SNES Mini modded with RGB +Csync, and a framemeister/SCART cables (which are still in the process of being delivered).

24048940000_c92a3b8de5_b.jpg

24048937320_7c36ffdedc_b.jpg

23976713769_34a520b483_b.jpg

Here is the game collection I start with:
24371211606_9578f1d2d0_b.jpg

IrishNinja

As to the ED talk, I really love my little collection(just missing n64 from what I really want, and the GBA one when it comes out) and I have been thinking about not replacing my snes ed for a sd2snes cause I own most of the games I care about and frankly it's not worth it just for star ocean though man I'd love faster loading time some day. If they ever get fx support then I'd probably upgrade though.

yeah, waiting to hear back on my ED 2 but loading times are pretty much the only draw...one guy here posted a cool way of using better sound files for your ROM's, but the list of stuff we're missing out on, ive got what i'd want to play. again if we were talkin higher compatibility, save state options etc i'd give it some thought, but at nearly 3x the cost, i passed on it just like you did

Top Bottom