• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Hargon

I own the game, but i dont really think its worth it when you can get it on VC for a fraction of the price.

If you want it in your collection and it's all original, that's a very decent price.

thanks guys, but i will dismiss this time. the game looks not my kind, at least im not collect the snes games for just collect but i played them too. so i think i can't spend 130$ for a game i never played it.

Hey SNES GAF,

Howabout we take some of these...

...and turn them into these!

ljzzMux.jpg

Teknoman

thanks guys, but i will dismiss this time. the game looks not my kind, at least im not collect the snes games for just collect but i played them too. so i think i can't spend 130$ for a game i never played it.

If its a genre you dont like, I wouldnt do it. Now if its something you never played, but still a genre you like, then go for it.

dubc35

Good choice IMO. I don't buy any games with "collecting" in mind. I only buy stuff I am actually interested in playing. Novel concept I know, lol.

IrishNinja

What the fuck is that horrible amateur designed shit. I assume some retarded kickstarter or something.

what i don't even get is: why? it's not a hard to find system, and does RGB right out of the box. even component/hdmi modded, it's gonna be stretchy...why turn something beautiful into that?

NDPsycho

Good choice IMO. I don't buy any games with "collecting" in mind. I only buy stuff I am actually interested in playing. Novel concept I know, lol.

Another novel concept would be recognizing that not everyone has the same interests or motivations. There's nothing wrong with "collecting." There's nothing wrong with his reasoning to not buy it either, but you don't generally ask if $130 is worth it for a game available digitally if you don't have a passing interest in collecting it in some capacity.

NDPsycho

If its a genre you dont like, I wouldnt do it. Now if its something you never played, but still a genre you like, then go for it.

Yeah, by all means check it out by watching some video plays of it or buy it digitally. It's a fun game, just kind of short. It's rarity is a factor in it's price, but so is it's fun gameplay. Natsume had some real gems. Game is stupid expensive even in bad condition. Watched a box for it sell for $310 today.

what i don't even get is: why? it's not a hard to find system, and does RGB right out of the box. even component/hdmi modded, it's gonna be stretchy...why turn something beautiful into that?
"Collector's items"

Edit: Same people that would buy something like this. Why spend $20 for the 4 original CIB SuFami Dragon Quest games when you could spend $300 for versions with worse boxart made by some bloke in his shed out of old, disgusting copies of Madden 95?

dubc35

Another novel concept would be recognizing that not everyone has the same interests or motivations. There's nothing wrong with "collecting." There's nothing wrong with his reasoning to not buy it either, but you don't generally ask if $130 is worth it for a game available digitally if you don't have a passing interest in collecting it in some capacity.

By all means no hard feelings, I was just stating my opinion. I'm not a collector but I didn't mean for my comment to talk down to collecting/collectors. OP said they might not play the game so I offered up my thoughts on buying items with no plan to use them.

IrishNinja

"Collector's items"

Edit: Same people that would buy something like this. Why spend $20 for the 4 original CIB SuFami Dragon Quest games when you could spend $300 for versions with worse boxart made buy some bloke in his shed out of old, disgusting copies of Madden 95?

fuck me, why go with that generic-ass cart/box/etc art? if you're gonna do something like this, there's way better art about online!

compile so good

they're like the only dev to release a STG on SNES without copious slowdown in it, lol

no lies detected here

NDPsycho

By all means no hard feelings, I was just stating my opinion. I'm not a collector but I didn't mean for my comment to talk down to collecting/collectors. OP said they might not play the game so I offered up my thoughts on buying items with no plan to use them.

No hard feelings at all. I was trying not to let my crap mood from work creep into my post. I probably could have done better. I even agree with you that if you don't think something is worth a price, even if it's lower than the going rate, you shouldn't buy it.

D.Lo

I'm sorry to continue this, the graymarket retro scene just really bothers me.
Right there with you.

It's the insane prices for what's really paint and cardboard that gets me. They don't translate the games themselves, they pay no licences, and use tools other people developed to make the repros.

While we're at it howabout this FF one, marketed as "CIB Sealed." Just the idea of someone paying hundreds for a bootleg cart set only to leave it sealed as a collector's item...

6fvHMiK.gif

I'm sorry to continue this, the graymarket retro scene just really bothers me.

I'm fine with it in general, but the specific thing you have highlighted is weird as fuck to me.
I've never been a "sealed game" collector in the first place though so it may just be beyond my understanding.

the thing that bothers me most is how unforthcoming a lot of sellers are. If it was just grey market I'd be okay, but half those things feel like proper scams.

dubc35

the thing that bothers me most is how unforthcoming a lot of sellers are. If it was just grey market I'd be okay, but half those things feel like proper scams.

I agree. Although, in the linked set above it lists repro and reproduction game in the tags; and lists the ROMs they flashed to the carts, lol.

Etsy, ebay, and others are totally different though, no mention of reproduction or anything.

Honestly I'd be ecstatic if eBay disallowed the selling of repros. My feed is constantly clogged by Mother 1/2/3 translated carts (rarely marked as anything but "english"), megaman snes repros, etc.

Olly88

What are some of your folks currently most wanted games? My number one at the moment has been the same one for the last few years, Demon's Crest. I so regret not getting it when I first found out about it a few years ago, when it could be got for around £80. I stupidly thought it'd get cheaper over time. I've just been listening to some of the music on Youtube and it's not making not having it any easier.

I also really want Secret of Evermore. Obviously it's not on the same level as Demon's Crest price wise, but it's gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I would really like Ogre Battle too, and the Pocky and Rocky-games, and Sunset Riders and...guess there is too much to mention :(

Along time ago, Super Star Wars was released today on June 1st 1992
&
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back was also released on June 1st 1993
& finally,
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi was released on June 1st 1994.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Three cool but flawed games imo, that could have used some better balancing. Still a very fun trilogy of games.

Teknoman

I think the only SNES games I want/need at this point are:

Any SFC games i'm not aware of, but are actually pretty cool.
The rest of my SFC exclusive rpgs translated
Undercover Cops
Twisted Tales of Spike McFang
Pop'n Twinbee
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
Majouu (King of Demons)

I cant really think of anything else at this point.

Hargon

I think I paid about that over a year and a half ago. I think it's worth it.

yeah, i just throwing a quick look today on the store where I found the game and i didn't find him, the lady that working there she told me it was sold. I was not ready to buy it anyway but something inside me feeling sad right now.

Mr. Virus

Today I had a second SNES game order cancelled only for the seller to relist it at more than double the price, alongside the rest of the unsold, similarly priced carts.

Happened the first time with FF: Mystic Quest, and now with Super Aleste. Getting a wee bit annoyed at it :/.

NDPsycho

Today I had a second SNES game order cancelled only for the seller to relist it at more than double the price, alongside the rest of the unsold, similarly priced carts.

Happened the first time with FF: Mystic Quest, and now with Super Aleste. Getting a wee bit annoyed at it :/.

That sucks. I also like it when you buy or win something and then they cancel it and say it was stolen/lost/damaged...heard it all. I especially like it when you've already paid and your funds get tied up for a week by paypal. Like most things, it's not the majority, just a select few that ruin your day, but it still leaves you bitter. Good luck on the next one, Super Aleste (Space Megaforce) is worth the hunt.

IrishNinja

you're a buyer, you literally have them by the balls on ebay. ive had this happen and demanded concessions (since we both know what they're doing) and had sellers offer either a discount, or in two other unrelated incidents, literally offered to take something else they were selling for free.

YMMV, but they're gaming the system, i don't personally feel bad making them uneasy about their feedback.

Olly88

Damn, sounds like you guys have had some pretty bad experiences with some shitty sellers. I haven't ran into any problems with any yet, luckily.

IrishNinja

the ones im referring to were actually with records, believe it or not...but if i'dve had said issues with the mess that is the retro game scene right now (i imagine he's referring to an auction with no reserve that came in way less than the seller wanted/saw some buy-it-nows go for at some point), i'dve acted in the same manner. it's crap, you agreed to sell at that price!

just passive-aggressively take forever to ship it like salty sellers usually do

Top Bottom