• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

AmyS

EGM issue 18 - January 1991:

098jlDP.jpg

Always wanted one of those ^

Interface: Letters To The Editor [SFC - MD - Turbo/PCE]

Mr. Virus

That sucks. I also like it when you buy or win something and then they cancel it and say it was stolen/lost/damaged...heard it all. I especially like it when you've already paid and your funds get tied up for a week by paypal. Like most things, it's not the majority, just a select few that ruin your day, but it still leaves you bitter. Good luck on the next one, Super Aleste (Space Megaforce) is worth the hunt.

you're a buyer, you literally have them by the balls on ebay. ive had this happen and demanded concessions (since we both know what they're doing) and had sellers offer either a discount, or in two other unrelated incidents, literally offered to take something else they were selling for free.

YMMV, but they're gaming the system, i don't personally feel bad making them uneasy about their feedback.

Yeah, it's not the end of the world but still a bit of a bummer :/. Probably going to be a bit wary or uncommon games that are decently priced from here on in, especially SNES ones.

Olly88

I watched a couple of videos of Pocky and Rocky yesterday after one of my Youtube subscriptions showed it off in a pickup video, it looks good. I want it.

It also reminded me quite a bit of Mystical Ninja for some reason. Probably the Japanese-y music and overhead view, I guess.

NDPsycho

I watched a couple of videos of Pocky and Rocky yesterday after one of my Youtube subscriptions showed it off in a pickup video, it looks good. I want it.

It also reminded me quite a bit of Mystical Ninja for some reason. Probably the Japanese-y music and overhead view, I guess.

It's pretty cool. I wish I could get the second one for a quarter like I paid for the first :)

You could also check out heavenly guardian on either wii or ps2. Much cheaper way to try out the series.

Teknoman

Get the Super Famicom version if you cant get a good deal on the english release.

HCgamer

Nintendo should be applauded for not disconnecting the wii's virtual console. This morning I purchased pc engine splatterhouse on my japanese wii. I have to get wild guns and other games I want before nintendo shuts down the service for good. Prices for many retro games is out of control.

I own the game, but i dont really think its worth it when you can get it on VC for a fraction of the price.

Olly88

It's pretty cool. I wish I could get the second one for a quarter like I paid for the first :)

You could also check out heavenly guardian on either wii or ps2. Much cheaper way to try out the series.

Yeah it might be good to try that one out some time.

Get the Super Famicom version if you cant get a good deal on the english release.

I thought about that but the SFC version seems to be almost the same price as the SNES versions from what I've seen.

I can't help but feel like that should've just gone with the proper six-button layout if they were gonna ape the Genesis controller so hard.

Probably something like

LXR
YBA

...although I know PS2 controllers doing similar tend to go

□△L1
×○R1

which I never really cared for (since now the button you'll be hitting the most is really far into the controller, and that's annoying).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I am going to be selling a few things from my collection, and I figured I'd post in here to see if any of you had interest in these before I throw them into the BST thread this weekend. All are cart-only unless otherwise noted.

SNES: Actraiser, Brain Lord, Final Fantasy II, Lufia II.
SFC: Ghost Sweeper Mikami (complete), Violinist of HameIn (complete), Mazinger Z, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie, R-Type III, Rushing Beat Ran & Rushing Beat Shura, Kunio Tachi No Banka, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Sparkster.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Playing coop in that game was such the powder keg for fights between friends on the raft stage lol

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am going to be selling a few things from my collection, and I figured I'd post in here to see if any of you had interest in these before I throw them into the BST thread this weekend. All are cart-only unless otherwise noted.

SFC: Ghost Sweeper Mikami (complete), Violinist of HameIn (complete), Mazinger Z, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie, R-Type III, Rushing Beat Ran & Rushing Beat Shura, Kunio Tachi No Banka, Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, Sparkster.

I might be interested in R-Type 3, Lufia 2, Rushing Beat Shura and Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie if you still have them!

Rongolian

Banned
Playing coop in that game was such the powder keg for fights between friends on the raft stage lol

I know that EXACT feeling. I can't believe that one of the main mechanics in the game is to be able to slide to avoid missiles and enemies, but if you slide into your co-op partner they fly around the stage with no control and basically die when they come back since they can't position where they're going to stop.

If I could turn off that feature, that game would go from very good to top-tier as a co-op game.

Super Nintendo is probably my favorite console ever, but I haven't owned an SNES since probably about 1998. I did some research before getting back into it and I was able to find a 1CHIP at a local store. I traded in a few things and got the SNES and 13 games. Then I went on ebay and bought another 11 games. I think I'm obsessed. I've been browsing ebay every night since and bought another 2 games last night.

I was trying to find how to get the best picture on an HDTV without splurging on a Framemeister(will probably get one eventually). I decided to stick with S-Video until those HD Retrovision cables come out.

Morfeo

Super Nintendo is probably my favorite console ever, but I haven't owned an SNES since probably about 1998. I did some research before getting back into it and I was able to find a 1CHIP at a local store. I traded in a few things and got the SNES and 13 games. Then I went on ebay and bought another 11 games. I think I'm obsessed. I've been browsing ebay every night since and bought another 2 games last night.

I was trying to find how to get the best picture on an HDTV without splurging on a Framemeister(will probably get one eventually). I decided to stick with S-Video until those HD Retrovision cables come out.

Just get a Framemeister. It feels incredible to see those pictures so sharp on the huge screen!

dubc35

I'm in the same situation: S-video now and perhaps the HDR cables pending price/reviews. The FM looks amazing but it's well outside how much I want to spend.

Peagles

Just get a Framemeister. It feels incredible to see those pictures so sharp on the huge screen!

Agreed. I've seen too many people on gaf waste too much money and time trying 3-4 cheap alternatives; they always eventually get fed up and end up with an FM. Skip the junk, save some time and grief, and get an FM :p

Rich!

Agreed. I've seen too many people on gaf waste too much money and time trying 3-4 cheap alternatives; they always eventually get fed up and end up with an FM. Skip the junk, save some time and grief, and get an FM :p

I may get an XRGB-3 next for use on a crt vga monitor. that should work out alright with minimal lag, I hope.

I'm in for Brain Lord. Just sent you a PM.

Welcome, welcome. Mwahahahaha.

Morfeo

Yep, same here. Its understandable that people are put off by the price, but we know - its the only decent solution when using HDTVs.

Peagles

Yep, same here. Its understandable that people are put off by the price, but we know - its the only decent solution when using HDTVs.

Well, OSSC maybe soon, and a handful of other more obscure ones that are even more expensive than the FM, but yeh :)

OSSC has compatibility issues out the ass right now. Definitely not a good solution for folks that don't want to deal with a lot of troubleshooting and configuring. Not to mention some TVs definitely won't like the signal. The Framemeister will remain the all-in-one solution for at least another few years.

Aww that sucks. I was being a bit hopeful haha...

I'd say give it a few more firmware updates and it'll be pretty amazing. 480 x2 scaling, 240p x4 scaling, better options for interlaced sources and higher compatibility across the board are all being worked on at the moment. Biggest issue with the unit is that given the lag free (and frame buffer-less/low processing power) design, it's hard to reach the raw versatility and compatibility of the Framemeister. For example, if your input source is a weird, offspec signal, you're going to get a comparably offspec signal out of it. For the framemeister, it can somewhat normalize those things.

Unfortunately, that means the SNES is one of the least compatible systems for the OSSC, though it seems to be getting quite a bit better as people spend more time fiddling with it.

I'm of the opposite opinion.

Skip the FM and grab a CRT. Even my free Sony kv-27fs120 looks better then a FM and without input delay issues.

BTails

Someone jump on Ghost Sweeper Mikami! It's not an overly long or difficult game, but its seriously a super fun quirky action game. Plays a bit like classic Castlevania, but way goofier.

Morfeo

Someone jump on Ghost Sweeper Mikami! It's not an overly long or difficult game, but its seriously a super fun quirky action game. Plays a bit like classic Castlevania, but way goofier.

Eh, its ok. Played it pretty recently based on recommandations in this group, and while its not a bad game, i found the level design pretty uninspiring and not that memorable.

Rich!

Found a pretty awesome Zelda LTTP hack that has numerous improvements (break pots with lv2 sword and above, change direction mid-dash, etc) as well as converting the rom to hirom to eliminate slowdown present normally in the game.

It's called the DX version, there's a patch over on romhacking.net. I've been playing with it on my SNES and its definitely quite a difference.

Found a pretty awesome Zelda LTTP hack that has numerous improvements (break pots with lv2 sword and above, change direction mid-dash, etc) as well as converting the rom to hirom to eliminate slowdown present normally in the game.

It's called the DX version, there's a patch over on romhacking.net. I've been playing with it on my SNES and its definitely quite a difference.

I'll check it out. Any other games with fan-made QoL improvements like that?

Judging from the romhacking site, there are more of those than almost anything lol. Not all of them are good, though.

I saw that DX hack earlier and it looks good. I think there was one or two changes I wasn't a fan of, though. One day I'll learn to actually edit those patches so I can pick and choose features.
Ah, just one change in the pegasus boots I wasn't a fan of. Must've been conflating with another similar hack.

Here's the changes they list:
Improvements:

All new, CD-quality soundtrack (MSU-1, higan/bsnes or SD2SNES only, requires separate download of soundtrack files)
Improved Pegasus boots, turn while running
Break pots with sword
Collect items with sword
Cancel flute transport
Death counter no longer increments when selecting “Save and Quit”
Slowdown reduced (FastROM)

Bugfixes:

Kholdstare shell fade re-enabled
Mothula invincibility to L4 sword fixed
Glove palette when switching to map fixed
Shield palette when retrieved from pikit killed with ether fixed
Various flickering issues fixed
Cane of Somaria glitches fixed
Magic cape statue pulling glitch fixed

Rich!

Quite a lot for games such as Secret of Evermore/Mana and Final Fantasy. None really come to mind aside from the block bug fix for Super Mario All Stars (the retail version is bugged - Mario goes up through the bricks in SMB that are smashed rather than bouncing back down like the NES version) and the VWF patch for secret of mana.

Project Base is a great alteration of Super Metroid I would recommend - it keeps the overall structure of the world but everythings been tweaked to make it feel fresh and new, with new rooms, new routes and new physics - and the whole game is made to feel a bit more fast paced and furious than the original.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/

It's best just to have a browse through there, filtering by console first and then sorting by game name alphabetically.

Edit: every single time I tried to write super metroid in this post, my phone autocorrected it to Super Negroid - what the fuck. I think it's got the hint now though. Why do I have a racist phone

They said best picture on an HDTV though.

I guess I was saying to give up on the HDTV idea and go straight to a CRT. I spent way too much money trying to play retro on a HDTV and ended up going with a CRT.

Edit: every single time I tried to write super metroid in this post, my phone autocorrected it to Super Negroid - what the fuck. I think it's got the hint now though. Why do I have a racist phone

Fuck me this made me laugh.

Peagles

I guess I was saying to give up on the HDTV idea and go straight to a CRT. I spent way too much money trying to play retro on a HDTV and ended up going with a CRT.

Yeh I get ya, I'm a huge CRT fan. I just don't wanna be that person who says get a CRT when someone is asking about HDTV stuff hehe.

Yeh I get ya, I'm a huge CRT fan. I just don't wanna be that person who says get a CRT when someone is asking about HDTV stuff hehe.

I'm with ya. If a CRT isn't an option ( what happened...did houses/apartments get smaller?) then I wont spout my CRT gospel.

Also I scored this today for $10CAD!

edit: Just tested it out. It work! Time to cleanup this disgusting thing.

I had an Asciipad when I was a kid. It's definitely on my to-buy list. I didn't think I was getting anything until next week, but I got two more games in the mail today from Ebay purchases, Gradius 3 and Thunder Spirits. So cool. Is Ebay the best place to look for deals or is there another site I should check out? I only care about loose carts if that matters.

Anyone ever make their own repro's? How difficult is it really? I want physical carts of games like Mystic Ark and Treasure of the Rudras in English, but all the websites I've seen are charging ridiculous prices for what is essentially a pirated game(from my understanding at least). Are there any good sites for tutorials or to buy the tools you need? I've been trying to do some research, but haven't found a complete tutorial that goes from start to finish.

RexRogers

Neo Member
asciipad is bestpad
Indeed. I've got two, just in case I need a backup. An interesting thing is that I noticed one was made in Japan and the other in China. Quality-wise they seem to be no different.

The left one is the Japanese one and the right one is Chinese that I bought complete in box.
20160611_075746.jpg

20160611_075828.jpg

20160611_075833.jpg

Mine is made in Japan.

So I completely dissasembled the controller, put the parts in a container, and slathered the "pink stuff" from Costco all over it. I let it sit for 30 minutes then poured hot water over it and mixed it all around and let it sit for another 30 minutes. I scrubbed everything with a toothbrush and it came out good as new! I'm going to start doing this with all my retro controllers!

(click for high res cleanliness)

Top Bottom