• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

IrishNinja

OMG anyone ever use this?

25997588951_f4bd59af22_z.jpg

what the fuck
this image is fucking me up right now

Been to about 10 garage sales this year, 0 SNES games so far.

Disappointed.gif

Retro gaming has picked up too much momentum. I see ads here for garage sales saying "vintage rare retro games" and it's just sonic 2 and smb/duckhunt

yeah, the well's dried up, certainly on ones that advertise online...still wish idve bought that whole box of SFC ones i saw years back

ShowDog

Found the box for FF3, bummed that the manual wasn't in there. It's in pretty good shape tho. Wish I hadn't thrown the rest of my boxes away.

So I finally RGB modded my SNES mini and I hooked it up to my Sony PVM with my scart cables but I've encountered an issue. I can get audio and I can get video but not both at the same time. I've been trying to figure out either what I've done wrong or what settings I need to adjust but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Been playing some Brain Lord, and while I always thought the game looked interesting and probably was a bit underrated, i can now see why it got the reception it got back in the day. Very boring and slow, and also feels very random without much though about designing interesting dungeons, levels and challenges.

Teknoman

That soundtrack tho.

In other news, Wild Guns Reloaded looks great...think it'll make the SNES version drop drastically in price? Or will it be just like Guardian Heroes HD and just cause a miniscule drop?

I know I still play Guardian Heroes Saturn more than anything... but Wild Guns Reloaded looks like the SNES version but even more detailed, no filters.

Morfeo

I kinda doubt it will go much down honestly, is the market for expensive Snes-games and PS4 even the same?

D.Lo

If anything it seems digital releases and sequels increase visibility of the originals and more people want to collect them.

Akumajou Dracula X was always one of those 'holy grail' Japan only releases that was amazing and fully playable without any language barrier, and it's continued rising in price steadily despite a cheap perfect VC release.

If anything it seems digital releases and sequels increase visibility of the originals and more people want to collect them.

Akumajou Dracula X was always one of those 'holy grail' Japan only releases that was amazing and fully playable without any language barrier, and it's continued rising in price steadily despite a cheap perfect VC release.

There was definitely a time where digital releases of rare games decreased demand for an original copy, but it seems like now things are going like how you said in that a digital release of something just increases interest.
Personally, I've never understood the desire to own the SNES version of Dracula X as it's a pretty mediocre Castlevania game and pales in comparison to the original game. I would like to own it but $250 for JUST the cart is a big ask.

Morfeo

There was definitely a time where digital releases of rare games decrease demand for an original copy, but it seems like now things are going like how you said in that a digital release of something just increases interest.
Personally, I've never understood the desire to own the SNES version of Dracula X as it's a pretty mediocre Castlevania game and pales in comparison to the original game. I would like to own it but $250 for JUST the cart is a big ask.

250 is insane, i got mine for 80 just last year and thought that was expensive,

Rich!

I got mine for ¥950 but it was the loose cart JP version

about the maximum I was willing to spend tho, lol

Didn't notice the yen sign there to begin with. Thought you were legitimately insane.

I remember back in 2005 or so I got a boxed copy of Super Metroid PAL for £15 and Secret of Mana NTSC cart only for a tenner. Those were the days.

I just got my first Super Famicom game ever in the mail today. Go Go Ackman! Also, I broke down and ordered a Secret of Mana 2 repro. I did some research on how to make your own but it seemed like a lot of work and $ investment. I only paid $16 though so not too bad.

Also played Ys 3 from start to finish yesterday. Good times.

Morfeo

Didn't notice the yen sign there to begin with. Thought you were legitimately insane.

I remember back in 2005 or so I got a boxed copy of Super Metroid PAL for £15 and Secret of Mana NTSC cart only for a tenner. Those were the days.

Those were the days for sure!

Man, the number of times I passed on something because it was too pricey only for it to massively increase in price is super depressing to think about.
What's worse is thinking about all the games you had as a kid and what they are going for today vs what you sold/traded them for back then. I traded in about 30 or 40 snes games, including just about every squaresoft and Enix game and Earthbound and Lufia etc, to get a PS1 the day FF7 came out. I mean, I guess it was worth it because I wouldn't have been able to get one otherwise, but still.

Morfeo

Glad I never traded anything in, still have all my childhood games (although i trowed the boxes away).

Been playing some more Brain Lord. The game kinda reminds me about games like Equinox and Mystic Quest with how the design seems pretty random. Its not as good as either of those though, but as Teknoman said, the music is indeed pretty amazing. And some of the puzzles are decent enough. Its interesting how the game is kinda like a puzzle-dungeon crawler, at least that is pretty unique?

D.Lo

There was definitely a time where digital releases of rare games decreased demand for an original copy, but it seems like now things are going like how you said in that a digital release of something just increases interest.
As far as I'm aware Drac XX has no digital release?

It's expensive because it's in demand because it's a fairly rare game in a famous series. Not too many copies and lots of people collecting the whole Castlevania series = expensive.

Mark5130

I recently picked up Super Bowling for SNES on eBay. I always thoroughly inspect my games upon receiving them and I noticed with this particular copy that the markings on the chip looked a little off. Normally, with my experience so far, the numbers aren't quite as long and there usually isn't any kind of logo stamped on them. I've been under the impression that if you run the number and don't get any hits, the chip is legit. If you do get search results, the chip might be an eprom, which this chip doesn't look like, but the number did yield search results:

http://www.datasheets360.com/part/d...26912893233218/?alternatePartManufacturerId=0

The chip is listed as "discontinued" and the rest of the items: cart, label, box and manual all look legit to me. I'm pretty sure everything is cool, but I just wanted to make sure by having a few extra pairs of eyes check it out. Thanks!

I recently picked up Super Bowling for SNES on eBay. I always thoroughly inspect my games upon receiving them and I noticed with this particular copy that the markings on the chip looked a little off. Normally, with my experience so far, the numbers aren't quite as long and there usually isn't any kind of logo stamped on them. I've been under the impression that if you run the number and don't get any hits, the chip is legit. If you do get search results, the chip might be an eprom, which this chip doesn't look like, but the number did yield search results:

http://www.datasheets360.com/part/d...26912893233218/?alternatePartManufacturerId=0

It's a mask ROM not an EPROM, the serial on the chip (SNS-BW-0) is legit and both the board and the CIC chip got the correct info on it. Pretty sure it's real :p

Rich!

The chip is listed as "discontinued" and the rest of the items: cart, label, box and manual all look legit to me. I'm pretty sure everything is cool, but I just wanted to make sure by having a few extra pairs of eyes check it out. Thanks!

Real.

What's worse is thinking about all the games you had as a kid and what they are going for today vs what you sold/traded them for back then. I traded in about 30 or 40 snes games, including just about every squaresoft and Enix game and Earthbound and Lufia etc, to get a PS1 the day FF7 came out. I mean, I guess it was worth it because I wouldn't have been able to get one otherwise, but still.

I owned Sunset Riders and Turtles in Time as a kid. Weirdly the only game stuff I held onto from when I was a kid was:
- The Virtual Boy I got for $25 during the VB fire sale. I've got almost everything worth owning for it and everything is complete in box (including the system).
- My 9-9-99 Dreamcast is still alive (and thinking). Weirdly, the only DC games I ever traded in were the games I bought on 9-9-99 (though it's cool cause I have Project Justice, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Samba de Amigo with maracas, Seaman). Everything is complete in box (including the system).
- My copy of Star Fox 64 complete in box with Rumble pak.
- My copy of San Francisco Rush (N64).
- Christmas Nights Into Dreams (I would not own a Saturn until late 2002... don't ask me why I held onto Xmas Nights).

IrishNinja

so glad i just imported the SFC copy years back for the price i thought it called for...if i had that US copy, id prolly wanna sell it, or see how much higher it went first!

Glad I never traded anything in, still have all my childhood games (although i trowed the boxes away).

Been playing some more Brain Lord. The game kinda reminds me about games like Equinox and Mystic Quest with how the design seems pretty random. Its not as good as either of those though, but as Teknoman said, the music is indeed pretty amazing. And some of the puzzles are decent enough. Its interesting how the game is kinda like a puzzle-dungeon crawler, at least that is pretty unique?

Popped in Brain Lord last night after buying it from a GAFer. Pretty cool and the music is GREAT. I can see where it will be very puzzle based already. I like it.

dubc35

Given SNES game prices I think I am done buying carts. SD2SNES will be my next purchase. Based on only a few of the games I would like to have (couple Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV, Zelda Lttp, Rock n Roll Racing, etc) its a much cheaper route. It's not the best, or preferred, route but it seems the most reasonable now.

Rich!

Given SNES game prices I think I am done buying carts. SD2SNES will be my next purchase. Based on only a few of the games I would like to have (couple Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV, Zelda Lttp, Rock n Roll Racing, etc) its a much cheaper route. It's not the best, or preferred, route but it seems the most reasonable now.

Why not go the Japanese route?

dubc35

Why not go the Japanese route?
It's an option. I've modded my SNES and have some SFC games already. They are cheaper but not much (I guess it varies based on game). SFC Castlevania, for example, runs only about $5 cheaper than the SNES version.

D.Lo

It did on Wii U
Huh, there you go. PAL too.

Speaking of PAL, I sold my compete copy of Vampire's Kiss for like $600 a couple of years ago. Looks like I timed it right as it's actually gone down since then, maybe due to the proliferation of repros on eBay.

Rich!

It's an option. I've modded my SNES and have some SFC games already. They are cheaper but not much (I guess it varies based on game). SFC Castlevania, for example, runs only about $5 cheaper than the SNES version.

Ah right. I've found most JP titles to be considerably cheaper (picked up Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, Kirby SS, Kirby 3 for around £6 each). And language doesn't matter for any of them.

the repro route may be another option - it's dead easy once you know how. I got a few eeprom chips through from buyicnow yesterday ($3 each and $3 postage) and built a few carts. One example is this, a copy of Shining Scorpion that cost me £2.99 on ebay:

O69cm5yl.jpg

Removed the maskrom, soldered on the replacement along with a voltage dropdown (5v to 3.3v)...

NqTqJiBl.jpg

and now it's Super Mario RPG!

ol01RcUl.jpg

Grand total, six quid. I've also got a StarFox 2 that I'm finishing up and a few romhacks that rely on the SA1 and SFX including a couple of Yoshi's Island hacks.

Bar81

Ah right. I've found most JP titles to be considerably cheaper (picked up Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Kart, Kirby SS, Kirby 3 for around £6 each). And language doesn't matter for any of them.

the repro route may be another option - it's dead easy once you know how. I got a few eeprom chips through from buyicnow yesterday ($3 each and $3 postage) and built a few carts. One example is this, a copy of Shining Scorpion that cost me £2.99 on ebay:

O69cm5yl.jpg

Removed the maskrom, soldered on the replacement along with a voltage dropdown (5v to 3.3v)...

NqTqJiBl.jpg

and now it's Super Mario RPG!

ol01RcUl.jpg

Grand total, six quid. I've also got a StarFox 2 that I'm finishing up and a few romhacks that rely on the SA1 and SFX including a couple of Yoshi's Island hacks.

Smh. So saccing carts is your solution? Gtfo

Rich!

Smh. So saccing carts is your solution? Gtfo

Haha, what's your problem?

Who's gonna miss a crappy £3 title that has great big gouges in the cart plastic itself? There's a reason it was £3. At least my solution takes more skill than simply shoving roms onto an SD card as your solution consists of.

not to mention I still have the Shining Scorpion maskrom chip put by for use in the future.

What's a good portable snes that plays carts? I've seen the supaboy and the retro duo portable, but are there any others? Which one is the best? I'm at the mother-in-laws house this weekend and something like that would really come in handy right now.

Morfeo

Popped in Brain Lord last night after buying it from a GAFer. Pretty cool and the music is GREAT. I can see where it will be very puzzle based already. I like it.

Nice! Lets see if we manage to do it as a game club-game here since that Snes Game Club never got going. I am in the second dungeon now, and I actually had to look up a puzzle. Felt totally embarrassed when I saw the solution :(

I just bought an amazing piece of hardware. It's an android tablet shoved into a 3DS XL built for emulation. Everything you can imagine in my pocket. The hardware is really well built and the buttons work great. Also no slouch at android games. I'll post pics later.

Rich!

I just bought an amazing piece of hardware. It's an android tablet shoved into a 3DS XL built for emulation. Everything you can imagine in my pocket. The hardware is really well built and the buttons work great. Also no slouch at android games. I'll post pics later.

gpd xd?

Haha, what's your problem?

Who's gonna miss a crappy £3 title that has great big gouges in the cart plastic itself? There's a reason it was £3. At least my solution takes more skill than simply shoving roms onto an SD card as your solution consists of.

not to mention I still have the Shining Scorpion maskrom chip put by for use in the future.

Rich! Is the kinda guy that buys shitty sports games to use their cases for better games. Despicable

/sarcasm

dubc35

This past Super Bowl weekend I was at a retro game store. With each purchase they were givning away free football games. Huge stack of Madden SNES games. I picked one and they then wrote the name of the store in permanent marker on the label. I would gut that cart without thinking twice.

Brainlord OST is one of the greatest and unknown soundtracks in SNES RPGs.

I've always loved the SNES sound chip. Been listening to it for 25 years. Hearing Brain Lord this weekend just reminded me how great it is all over again. The sample-based nature of it really pushes the music into near-CD-quality sound at times. I almost think it sounds better today in retrospect than it did to me back then.

Top Bottom