• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

All this Brain Lord talk makes me really want to order it, but I already spent too much on ebay this week. Soon.

It's a solid B-tier game from what I can tell. Haven't finished the first dungeon yet. There's very little story. You jump right into the action in a matter of minutes.

Yeah I played quite far into it back in the day, but never finished it. It's not the best game, but it's a fun action rpg from what I remember. I wouldn't mind plowing through it over a weekend.

eXistor

I bought Brain Lord about a year ago (it was boxed and cheaper than I expected so I went for it). I remember hearing not so great things about it, but I always thought it looked pretty cool. I only played for a few hours so far, but I liked what I played. Solid game if you ask me. Good tunes, good controls, decent puzzles. Good stuff.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am now in the second dungeon, and the game quickly becomes hard as hell. You also really need to treat it as a dungeon crawler, stock up on healing items etc. But its good fun for sure!

Olly88

Got my copy of Super SWIV yesterday. What with this and Super Aleste, I'm starting to think that shooters aren't really my forte. Guess I just need to practice a bit more though.

Adahn

Hi all, quick question for you all.

I've recently come into some boxes I'd like to protect, and I see from the conversation and the FAQ post that videogameboxprotectors are the usual recommendation. However, the postage to the UK stings a little too much - are there any other vendors, or similar products that you guys would recommend that I could get without paying more on postage that I would be on the protector?

Rich!

Would be amazing if you could do a video on the process.

Bit late now, but there's really nothing to it.

I used a desoldering pump (cost me just under a tenner at maplin) and soldering iron combo to remove the dsp1, and then placed it onto the Everdrive where there's a big DSP symbol showing the orientation. Then just soldered it in.

What are some examples of games where the Super Famicom version is different or maybe even better than it is on SNES? SFC games tend to be cheaper, but if there is a US release then that is the one I will usually get, except in cases like this. One that I can think of is Puyo Puyo being released as Kirby's Avalanche in the US. One with a bigger difference is Jelly Boy/Smart Ball where the story and town sections were completely taken out of the US release and it was just a regular platformer. Any others?

What are some examples of games where the Super Famicom version is different or maybe even better than it is on SNES? SFC games tend to be cheaper, but if there is a US release then that is the one I will usually get, except in cases like this. One that I can think of is Puyo Puyo being released as Kirby's Avalanche in the US. One with a bigger difference is Jelly Boy/Smart Ball where the story and town sections were completely taken out of the US release and it was just a regular platformer. Any others?

Biometal and X-Kaliber 2097 have different, licensed soundtracks in the west.

I used a desoldering pump (cost me just under a tenner at maplin) and soldering iron combo to remove the dsp1, and then placed it onto the Everdrive where there's a big DSP symbol showing the orientation. Then just soldered it in.

What's an Everdrive?

AmyS

Schwing :)

w8RYboG.jpg

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Rich!

goddamn, like i love my SNES but look at how fuckin' sexy that hardware is

wish we could've gotten that, or an easy swapout shell

It's always odd to me to see posts like this about the SNES

The US one is the odd one out, and it's always stuck out as being bizarre to me

So, I rented Populous as a kid, but couldn't figure out what the hell you were supposed to do. The game always intrigued me so I picked up a copy and sat down and played it today. It's actually really fun! I remembered seeing Populous 2 while browsing Ebay and thinking too bad it didn't get a release over here, since it would be in Japanese. Well after playing today I remembered there's not really much text anyways, so I went ahead and got a copy for $6.

Now, I have been wondering about this, and making this post just reminded me. SFC games play on a US SNES easily, but from my understanding PAL games do not, because of the display. But I read you can play PAL games on a US SNES via a certain Pro Action Replay that has two slots and you put a US game in one slot and the PAL game in the other. This sounds a little silly and there has to be an easier way. There are a few PAL/SFC exclusive games that I would like to get and it would be handy to pick up the PAL version since it would likely be in English.

RexRogers

Neo Member
It's always odd to me to see posts like this about the SNES

The US one is the odd one out, and it's always stuck out as being bizarre to me
True. When the final design was unveiled back in the day I remember wondering who the hey came up with a white and purple box.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh wow, Brain Lord discussion... that's a game that doesn't really get a lot of mentions. I played it a few years ago and wanted to like it a lot more than I did... the heavily puzzle-oriented dungeon design was really neat, and the music was atmospheric... as well as the art style which feels more like a western computer game at parts (more realistic character proportions, lower contrast palette, boxy tilesets), but the game suffered from SEVERE slowdown that rendered it almost unplayable at parts. Wish it had more of a developed plot and much smoother gameplay.

For another Enix RPG that gets little discussion, I highly recommend Robotrek. Still, it's so weird that Enix was putting out lots of obscure titles like Brain Lord, 7th Saga, Robotrek... yet skipped over the 2 entries of its flagship series for the US market.

Oh wow, Brain Lord discussion... that's a game that doesn't really get a lot of mentions. I played it a few years ago and wanted to like it a lot more than I did... the heavily puzzle-oriented dungeon design was really neat, and the music was atmospheric... as well as the art style which feels more like a western computer game at parts (more realistic character proportions, lower contrast palette, boxy tilesets), but the game suffered from SEVERE slowdown that rendered it almost unplayable at parts. Wish it had more of a developed plot and much smoother gameplay.

For another Enix RPG that gets little discussion, I highly recommend Robotrek. Still, it's so weird that Enix was putting out lots of obscure titles like Brain Lord, 7th Saga, Robotrek... yet skipped over the 2 entries of its flagship series for the US market.
Enix USA localized those games IIRC, they weren't developed by Enix.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Came home drunk yesterday and picked up a bin for Robotrek after reading your praise lol.

Man, I loved 7th Saga, but dear lord was it hard. I found out that the US release was made a lot more difficult than the original and required a ton more grinding. I never finished the cart and ended up playing through a romhack version that made the difficulty closer to the original game. Still love it though.

Rich!

Just installed the spdif optical audio mod into my SFC Jr, and my god am I impressed

Even with the double shielded scart cable I use normally as a reference, the improvement in sound quality is outstanding. And it's all real SNES audio direct from the SPC.

dubc35

Just installed the spdif optical audio mod into my SFC Jr, and my god am I impressed

Even with the double shielded scart cable I use normally as a reference, the improvement in sound quality is outstanding. And it's all real SNES audio direct from the SPC.
Good to know, that's a mod I have been looking at.

I bought Rockman X2 on eBay. It was over $100 cheaper than Mega Man X2, smh.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Do the newer everdrives only need the DSP-1 chip and not the other components? This tutorial mentions the other two pieces: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?42323-Upgrading-Super-Everdrive-v1-5-with-DSP1

I know that V2.3 has the other DSP supports too, but I don't remember if the DSP chips themselves are compatible with their lower versions or not.

i always take Rich's impressions with a grain of salt considering the hilarious 480i/480p stuff in the RGB/Upscaler thread, lol

TBF it is a really nice clean sound but due to the timing differences between what the SNES does internally and more common spec (32.040 kHz vs 32kHz even) you can end up with some audio hitches you would never run into over analog. And depending on your equipment it might not be supported at all.

I modded mine 4 years ago and have stopped using it since I got my FM since it's just easier to run everything over analog. It's not like the SNES analog audio is especially crummy to begin with.

So you can solder in special chips into the darn thing? That's awesome.

Just the DSP chips, so no Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, etc but yes Mario Kart & Pilotwings.

The newer revisions have an option to have an FPGA DSP1/2/3/4-compatible clone installed when you order it so that you don't need to cannibalize a game or solder anything.

Rich!

yep, I love the satellaview

I've got all the BS exclusive games on my everdrive, and its a shame Nintendo have basically never, ever, ever re-released them or made any hint that they ever will do.

BS Zelda 3 is one fantastic example that everyone should play. It's basically a sequel to link to the past with a full set of new dungeons, neat side quests and even a goddamn rental system!

Grief.exe

I actually thought I had a 1Chip for some reason, opened her up and found out the dirty truth.

Soldering the SNES JR RGB fairly easy? I don't have much soldering experience, but I plan on doing the Gamecube HDMI mod as well, so I might as well get started.

5SOz3f7.png

But that's not a mini? Unless you mean you plan on buying a mini and then modding it, I have never done anything like that, but the model in your picture doesn't need to be modded for RGB, just the right cables.

yep, I love the satellaview

I've got all the BS exclusive games on my everdrive, and its a shame Nintendo have basically never, ever, ever re-released them or made any hint that they ever will do.

BS Zelda 3 is one fantastic example that everyone should play. It's basically a sequel to link to the past with a full set of new dungeons, neat side quests and even a goddamn rental system!

You know, I'm really thinking I should get a SNES everdrive. Satellaview games are one really good reason, all the fan translations is another. And insane cart prices. I love SNES but don't really consider myself a collector of the system, like I do with NES.

You know, I'm really thinking I should get a SNES everdrive. Satellaview games are one really good reason, all the fan translations is another. And insane cart prices. I love SNES but don't really consider myself a collector of the system, like I do with NES.

Even if you collect for a system an everdrive is an essential purchase IMO.

I have been thinking the same thing and a Framemeister.

D.Lo

Even if you collect for a system an everdrive is an essential purchase IMO.
Yep, I only play games I own, but the everdrive is a massive convenience. Less cart swapping, no opening mint boxes just for a 10 minute play of a game etc. Even just for built-in action replay.

Top Bottom