• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

RexRogers

Neo Member
I actually thought I had a 1Chip for some reason, opened her up and found out the dirty truth.

Soldering the SNES JR RGB fairly easy? I don't have much soldering experience, but I plan on doing the Gamecube HDMI mod as well, so I might as well get started.

Why did you originally think it was a 1CHIP? What's the serial number?

Even if you collect for a system an everdrive is an essential purchase IMO.

Yep, I only play games I own, but the everdrive is a massive convenience. Less cart swapping, no opening mint boxes just for a 10 minute play of a game etc. Even just for built-in action replay.

Just doing some basic reading up, it looks like SD2SNES is 100x better than an Everdrive, correct? And don't they usually go on sale on Black Friday?

-KRS-

I wouldn't say 100x better. It has support for more games and faster loading. The question is if those extra games are worth the extra cost for you.

Anth0ny

stupid question: what does it mean when an ebay auction gets pulled at the last minute due to an "error in the listing"? Is that a loophole for sellers to bail out?

Really annoying. I was following a 10 day auction for literally 9 and a half days non stop, and the seller pulls the listing, even though there were tons of bids and the price was only going to skyrocket in the final 12 hours. How strange.

Rich!

stupid question: what does it mean when an ebay auction gets pulled at the last minute due to an "error in the listing"? Is that a loophole for sellers to bail out?

Really annoying. I was following a 10 day auction for literally 9 and a half days non stop, and the seller pulls the listing, even though there were tons of bids and the price was only going to skyrocket in the final 12 hours. How strange.

Nah, it's up to them and a necessary option. I've had to remove listings before at the last minute because I've either realised theres a serious fault with the item (happened a few times with modified hardware) or in one case my daughter spilt her drink over a gameboy I was selling. I would have been fucked without the option to end the listing.

D.Lo

Just doing some basic reading up, it looks like SD2SNES is 100x better than an Everdrive, correct? And don't they usually go on sale on Black Friday?
More like 20% better. Adds a few more games, loads faster (like 3 seconds is an issue), but it's much much more expensive and you have to deal with a lame 90s looking logo on the menu.

So, I got a SupaBoy today, and I don't know if this is normal, but the backlight is brighter at the top middle of the screen, kind of washing out that spot, especially if the background is black. This was straight out of the box, so I plugged it in to get a full charge and I'm hoping that will fix it, but if not I am a little disappointed if this is normal. If it's not normal I guess I can try to exchange it for another.

More like 20% better. Adds a few more games, loads faster (like 3 seconds is an issue), but it's much much more expensive and you have to deal with a lame 90s looking logo on the menu.

This 3 seconds is loading the game, not actually in game, right? I own some of the games that are not supported, so thats not really a big deal. I don't see the extra $100 as being worth it unless I'm missing something.

I'm liking the idea more of not opening my boxed copies, or someone else for that matter, to play a game.

TeaJay

This 3 seconds is loading the game, not actually in game, right? I own some of the games that are not supported, so thats not really a big deal. I don't see the extra $100 as being worth it unless I'm missing something.

I'm liking the idea more of not opening my boxed copies, or someone else for that matter, to play a game.

I'm also looking to get a SNES flashcart, and I think that I will have to get the more expensive one just to help with the region patching. I play on a PAL SNES that's been region/ switch modded, and even if I only play SFC/NTSC games there are annoying "this game pak is not designed" yada yada errors. I've read conflicting accounts on flashcarts working on modded PAL systems so that would probably be another plus for the SD2SNES, no hassle with region stuff.

No lol, one off load at boot as it drops the game into its ram.

Then either behaves exactly like the original cart.

Hmm. I might go for the cheaper one. I can always buy games that aren't supported. I DO like to collect carts. Just can't get them all...

Rich!

I went for a Super Everdrive and soldered in a DSP chip. Works perfectly, no reason to get an SD2SNES as I have no use for MSU-1 (most of the music patches are terrible due to poor choices of tracks and poor audio sources) and the special chip games are cheap as hell anyway as long as you go the JP route.

and waiting a minute for a game to load into the cart's RAM isn't bad, especially when the next time you turn the everdrive on you can simply press START to load the previous game immediately anyway. I personally don't see the benefits of the SD2SNES worth paying double the price of a super everdrive for.

The mega everdrive, on the other hand though....now that shit is worth paying extra for

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally got Rock & Roll Racing yesterday, and I will say I am slightly disappointed in this game for a few reasons. First of all, while there are many different levels, none of them feels any different. Secondly, progression goes by way to slow - it would be a lot more fun if you earned more money on each race but then also had more stuff to buy, now the game is just super-grindy. Third, I really like the battle aspects, but it doesnt seem like its really worth it to use it much, considering a blown up car only looses a few seconds - which you easily can loose anyways trying to take it out.

So yeah, good concept, mediocre execution. Death Rally on the PC would do this game much better when that was released.

BTails

Best part of having an SNES Flashcart is having access to the insane amount of translated SFC games. Clock Tower is one of the best games on the system. Play it now!!!

Rich!

Best part of having an SNES Flashcart is having access to the insane amount of translated SFC games. Clock Tower is one of the best games on the system. Play it now!!!

yep, and the BS games!

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml

everyone needs to play BS Zelda 3. Brand new quest, new dialogue, weather and day/night cycle, new dungeons, and even a weapon rental shop!

astscreenshots.JPG

33243-BS_Zelda_no_Densetsu_-_Kodai_no_Sekiban_-_Dai-4-wa_(Japan)_(BS)_[En+Fix_by_BSZHP_v20090629]_(~BS_The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Ancient_Stone_Tablets_-_Week_4)-8.jpg

BS Zelda 1 goes without saying:

33231-BS_Zelda_no_Densetsu_(Japan)_(BS)_[En+Hack_by_BSZHP_v20090124]_(~BS_The_Legend_of_Zelda)_(Link_Version)_(Timer+No_Limit)-5.jpg

BS Excitebike is fantastic too:

33119-BS_Excitebike_-_Bunbun_Mario_Battle_Stadium_1_(Japan)-1.png

SNES--BS%20Excitebike%20%20Bunbun%20Mario%20Battle%20Stadium%203_Jul2%2013_43_07.png

And then you have stuff like the NP Picross series of which there were 8 separate releases exclusively via NP download from 1999 to 2001:

latest

screenshot.jpg

oh and also, BS F Zero 2 has some awesome tracks:

latest

Rongolian

Banned
yep, and the BS games!

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszelda.shtml

everyone needs to play BS Zelda 3. Brand new quest, new dialogue, weather and day/night cycle, new dungeons, and even a weapon rental shop!

Awesome post Rich, does anyone know if they ever figured out a way to make the Satellaview interface cartridge work? I remember being fascinated seeing how it was supposed to act as a hub for many of the Satellaview functions, but I don't know how feasible it would be to integrate that functionality into a flash cart.

latest

Morfeo

Was reading an old issue of the norwegian/swedish game publication Power Player/Super Power, and stumbled upon some "news" about Super Castlevania V being in production for the Snes. The article explicity said that this was not the multiplattform Dracula X (which supposedly also should be coming out on the 32x). Have anybody heard anything more about this game? How far along it was, why it was cancelled, and if maybe the game got ported over and renamed as Symphony of the Night?

TheMoon

Was reading an old issue of the norwegian/swedish game publication Power Player/Super Power, and stumbled upon some "news" about Super Castlevania V being in production for the Snes. The article explicity said that this was not the multiplattform Dracula X (which supposedly also should be coming out on the 32x). Have anybody heard anything more about this game? How far along it was, why it was cancelled, and if maybe the game got ported over and renamed as Symphony of the Night?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29682783&postcount=77
apparently there was a rumor that it was in dev for SNES CD/Playstation so maybe it was the early version of SotN.

Cheerilee

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29682783&postcount=77
apparently there was a rumor that it was in dev for SNES CD/Playstation so maybe it was the early version of SotN.

Dracula X could be a good candidate for a lost SNES CD game, since it came out on the TG-CD around the same time that Secret of Mana came out with cut content on the non-CD SNES, but if it was, I suspect that KCE Nagoya's "SNES port" of Dracula XX would've been a much better game. Moving the game from SNES CD to TG-CD would've meant gameplay compromises but they get to keep the CD cutscenes and audio. Moving the game from SNES CD to SNES would've meant a perfect gameplay port, but KCE Nagoya would've had to make up something for the missing cutscenes/audio.

Toru Hagihara's Dracula X/SotN team was made of leftover 2D talent, while KCE Kobe and Castlevania 64 were supposed to be the future, so Hagihara's team was allowed to "explore" less-mainstream options (like Tomikazu Kirita making games for the Genesis and Dreamcast, or KCE Nagoya porting SotN to the Saturn), so after Dracula X they apparently jumped to making Dracula X2 (a sequel, not a port) on the Sega 32X, but then once that add-on started to look like a really bad idea and the PlayStation started to emerge, they said "We want that" and jumped to PSX with their incomplete 32X game that eventually became SotN.

After SotN kicked Castlevania 64's butt (and Hagihara retired, handing the reins of his team over to IGA), Konami put KCE Kobe under IGA's command and asked him to make Castlevania a mainstream hit on PlayStation 2 (which of course, didn't turn out so well, but his Metroidvania side-projects on the Nintendo DS were great).

Rumors can be wildly unreliable, as seen by the rumor post above saying that FF7 was going to be a 3D Super-FX chip game, and that it was nearly complete. There was an FF7 in early development for the SNES, but it was 2D, like FF6 and Chrono Trigger. A near-complete 3D Super-FX chip Final Fantasy is total bullshit.

-KRS-

Awesome post Rich, does anyone know if they ever figured out a way to make the Satellaview interface cartridge work? I remember being fascinated seeing how it was supposed to act as a hub for many of the Satellaview functions, but I don't know how feasible it would be to integrate that functionality into a flash cart.

latest

Not sure how it works on the everdrive, but on the sd2snes it boots up the games just like on an actual satellaview. Meaning that it simply boots the bsx BIOS and acts like the game you chose is being broadcast right now. So you get to walk around in that hub world. Nothing seems to really work though, except for the house where you choose the game.

Not sure how it works on the everdrive, but on the sd2snes it boots up the games just like on an actual satellaview. Meaning that it simply boots the bsx BIOS and acts like the game you chose is being broadcast right now. So you get to walk around in that hub world. Nothing seems to really work though, except for the house where you choose the game.

It might only work on the SD2SNES and not on Everdrive. SD2SNES seems to have an FPGA core for the BS-X.

AmyS

More Electronic Gaming Monthly SFC coverage!

#17 December 1990:

geXYMyb.jpg

#19 February 1991:

bvuxLoL.jpg

khAlKgp.jpg

#23 June 1991:

fb38qi9.jpg

vtS7uXv.jpg

#24 July 1991:

7202vK0.jpg

Morfeo

Is Jelly Bean and Jerry Boy the same game? And is this the game that came out as Super Morph?

Anyways, did anybody ever check out that rpg, Gdleen?

AmyS

Is Jelly Bean and Jerry Boy the same game? And is this the game that came out as Super Morph?

Anyways, did anybody ever check out that rpg, Gdleen?

Jelly Bean was changed graphically (not sure about gameplay) from the original prototype and became Jerry Boy in Japan and Smart Ball in NA, developed by Game Freak System Sacom and published by Sony Imagesoft.

More Jelly Bean screens:

rW7PRIn.jpg
xtPOOgM.jpg

Kmt0v3O.jpg
ZXkbyiX.jpg

dYMeVPD.jpg
yFAe5R7.jpg

Jerry Boy:

WtGq0tO.jpg
HAd0VTm.jpg
vNejMIt.jpg

I like the look of Jelly Bean a lot more than Jerry Boy / Smart Ball.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/smartball/smartball.htm

Super Morph is different game only released in Europe I think. It had the same publisher (Sony Imagesoft) but a different developer (Millennium Entertainment).

Morfeo

Jelly Bean was changed graphically (not sure about gameplay) from the original prototype and became Jerry Boy in Japan and Smart Ball in NA, developed by Game Freak System Sacom and published by Sony Imagesoft.

More Jelly Bean screens:

rW7PRIn.jpg
xtPOOgM.jpg

Kmt0v3O.jpg
ZXkbyiX.jpg

dYMeVPD.jpg
yFAe5R7.jpg

Jerry Boy:

WtGq0tO.jpg
HAd0VTm.jpg
vNejMIt.jpg

I like the look of Jelly Bean a lot more than Jerry Boy / Smart Ball.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/smartball/smartball.htm

Super Morph is different game only released in Europe I think. It had the same publisher (Sony Imagesoft) but a different developer (Millennium Entertainment).

Thanks! I just remember reviews for Super Morph back in the day, seemed pretty shitty. But Jerry Boy looked decent!

Pretty sure Master's Golf was released in the US as Jack Nicklaus Golf. Or at least they are the same graphics in some sense, because it looks just like that.

AmyS

Pretty sure Master's Golf was released in the US as Jack Nicklaus Golf. Or at least they are the same graphics in some sense, because it looks just like that.

The game previewed as 'Master's Golf' by T&E Soft in EGM is actually New 3D Golf Simulation: Waialae no Kiseki in Japan and Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics in the U.S.
That 'Polysis' scaling tech mentioned by EGM, is right on the back cover of the Super Famicom box.

7CUEQ8C.jpg

uz5rWpZ.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Golf_Classics:_Waialae_Country_Club
video: https://youtu.be/AvibRDjf67U

It's a reworked version of New 3D Golf Simulation: Eight Lakes G.C. for the FM Towns and X68000 computers.

OnJPCua.jpg
tu5EM9D.png

ExW9xyt.png
ExW9xyt
TkMS4D6.png

EGM's preview of SFC Hole in one Golf is of course, HAL's Hole In One Golf.
video: https://youtu.be/f4-HGIr-_l0

Jack Nicklaus Golf, a totally different game, was developed by Sculptured Software, published by Tradewest.
video: https://youtu.be/ccf_2dEfwRY

RexRogers

Neo Member
Given how fast they sold out it shouldn't be a surprise that a few of the HD Retrovision cables went to scalpers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302007994445

Its a shame, because except for the next shipment coming later this summer it's questionable if more will be coming after that. The guys of HDR said their cash flows make it hard to get anything else done if they have to keep investing large sums into getting more cables produced.

As a side note, I just sold my Gamecube component cables for crazy cash. :p

AmyS

So I was playing Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, which I recently got, and well, that inspired me to look for as much coverage of the original SNES Super Mario Kart as I could from EGM as well as Super NES Buyer's Guide.
The two on the bottom are cropped parts of EGM Express articles on the Super FX and earlier DSP chips used in SNES games -- one of them of course being SMK, and why I included them. So enjoy.

4knYkGd.jpg
kNgW9tf.jpg

LJ4PEsK.jpg

kpm0D4B.jpg
YQFp6MH.jpg

u7y0ySP.jpg

goEeUXa.jpg

WNLjcz1.jpg

Cheerilee

So these HD Retrovision cables are actually legit and better than S-Video for an HDTV?

I don't think HD Retrovision has made any claims about being better than S-video. They say that many HDTVs don't come with S-video ports, and that lack of inputs forces retro enthusiasts to downgrade to composite, and they claim to be much better than composite. It appears that they're converting an S-video signal into component cables.

They're "better than S-video for an HDTV", provided that your HDTV rejects S-video by not even bothering to offer a port for it. If your HDTV doesn't have S-video, then an S-video-to-component adapter is better for your HDTV than S-video is. But "better than non-functional" isn't setting the bar very high. Under those qualifiers, fucking RF is better for your HDTV than S-video is.

Although they seem to offer a beautiful, clear picture.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So I was playing Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, which I recently got, and well, that inspired me to look for as much coverage of the original SNES Super Mario Kart as I could from EGM as well as Super NES Buyer's Guide.
The two on the bottom are cropped parts of EGM Express articles on the Super FX and earlier DSP chips used in SNES games -- one of them of course being SMK, and why I included them. So enjoy.

The first place I ever saw Super Mario Kart in a Sendai publication was in a "supplement" that came with EGM. I can't remember exactly what the topic was.... CES perhaps? Summer Buyer's Guide? Something like that.

I remember being blown away that they were expanding Mario to racing. Seems quaint now :)

I don't think HD Retrovision has made any claims about being better than S-video. They say that many HDTVs don't come with S-video ports, and that lack of inputs forces retro enthusiasts to downgrade to composite, and they claim to be much better than composite. It appears that they're converting an S-video signal into component cables.

They're "better than S-video for an HDTV", provided that your HDTV rejects S-video by not even bothering to offer a port for it. If your HDTV doesn't have S-video, then an S-video-to-component adapter is better for your HDTV than S-video is. But "better than non-functional" isn't setting the bar very high. Under those qualifiers, fucking RF is better for your HDTV than S-video is.

Although they seem to offer a beautiful, clear picture.

I was under the impression that these cables use the RGB signal, which is why they'll only work on an RGB modded SNES Mini/N64 or a PAL GameCube in addition to the standard SNES. From what I understand RGB is better than S-Video, though marginally so.

RexRogers

Neo Member
I was under the impression that these cables use the RGB signal, which is why they'll only work on an RGB modded SNES Mini/N64 or a PAL GameCube in addition to the standard SNES. From what I understand RGB is better than S-Video, though marginally so.

This would be correct. The cables convert the RGB output of the SNES into YPbPr (component). Given the level of engineering that's gone into these cables it's a lateral move without any loss of quality from RGB. As such, there's no need for an RGB-compliant monitor, though your HDTV must be able to accept a 240p signal over component. Some HDTV's have a problem with that.

That being said, the resulting picture is absolutely beautiful. Razor sharp pixels that will cut your eyeballs. The HD Retrovision cables are a definite improvement over s-video as I have both types of cables.

Top Bottom